• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
You're suggesting that rather than buying games where they're published people should...steal them? That Steam users would sooner pirate software than shop on other storefronts?

He isnt suggesting that. He is saying that this might happen. Why do PC-Gamers in 3rd world countries actually buy games nowadays? Its because of regional pricing and availabilty there.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
You're suggesting that rather than buying games where they're published people should...steal them? That Steam users would sooner pirate software than shop on other storefronts?

I think this is a fact, based on history of this happening with other stores and nearly anytime gamer's don't like excessive pricing or behavious / support from a company.

But let's not paint this as "every single PC gamer out there", because it never is:

He isnt suggesting that. He is saying that this might happen. Why do PC-Gamers in 3rd world countries actually buy games nowadays? Its because of regional pricing and availabilty there.

Bingo

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Wait what the fuck? I bought it on CD Keys a couple of hours ago when it said Steam WW. Now it says EPIC?

What are you guys doing? I want this game on Steam ffs. I might just cancel and pay the extra $10 on steam.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think that's a denial so much as an acknowledgement that it wouldn't really be up to the Epic Store. Giving Epic Store keys to third-party key resellers would be a publisher decision. All the Epic Store controls is whether they give out redemption keys at all, and the limits/costs of doing so. They wouldn't be in the position of saying certain resellers are officially sanctioned or not.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
You are right. If you really want the game, you'll buy it regardless of your store preference. People even buy systems just to play an exclsuive they see as a "must have". At least that's the reason why I own consoles, and I prefer gaming on PC a lot!

The question is how many people on the edge or "undecided" people are going to be effected by this? And will Metro Exodus make more money regardless, because of the better "share" (and the money that Epic, probably, paid upfront).
I, for example, wasn't sure about Metro Exodus and wanted to wait for impressions and for our performance thread. Now I don't feel it anymore. But that's just me, so whatever.

I was always going to buy it on PS4, but now if I'm feeling petty enough I might just buy it second-hand a year later. Already got a huge backlog so it can wait. I'm on the side of everyone hating the way Epic is behaving btw.

It would be 'competition' if the game were on sale everywhere with Epic perhaps providing extra incentive, but this shit they're doing isn't competition, and will open the floodgates for other launchers popping up all over the place. Imagine having 20 launchers installed on your PC to play 20 different exclusives lol.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
An indefinite quantity of users pirating a game instead of paying more for a product with less functionnalities. Nahhhh...

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
FYI cdkeys is very good about refunding your preorders if the platform the key is for changes. Just ask support and they will do it, no hassle. I've done it a few times before.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Really shitty move by 4A and Epic. Now we have fucking exclusivity in PC gaming. Ridiculous.

I guess I'm hopping on the r/patientgamers train

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Don't know, so much is in the air and CDKeys has already change the logo to Epic Game Store. Your best bet if you ain't about that life is pre order on steam today or get a copy of the Aurora Limited Edition which comes with a steam key as confirmed by the Metro Exodus twitter.
I guess I ain't about that Metro Exodus life anymore cause Steam charges immediately for preorder apparently.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To force people to buy it on the platform where they make 88% profit instead of 70% profit.
You're pretty shitty at math then.
They get 75%/80% on Steam, not 70%, for starters.
For seconds, they are also discounting the game by 16%.
Math can't possibly be so hard you don't understand that the difference between 12% and 25% is smaller than 16%. They are literally being paid less on the epic store than on Steam.
So yes, they were paid. There's no question to this. Especially considering the one year deal. You don't sign one of these without being paid for it.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
This audience (early teen gamers) would go to whatever launcher the game they want to play is on. They were on Steam when this audience was into Rust and CS:GO. They bought Minecraft directly from the website before that. This audience will not buy it because it's on a launcher they already own. If you want that audience to buy a game, you have to get it to be popular, and the audience will seek out the game, no matter what launcher it's on. This "conversion" doesn't exist in any meaningful way.

My eyebrows are up on this, honestly. Agree to disagree. If you're curious, I'd read up on the marketing "halo effect." People tend to engage through what's associated with what they like. That acts as its own curation of what they're exposed to. The value of the Fortnite audience within the Epic launcher is that they're not a theoretical, and that they're fresh eyes as far as most of the PC market is concerned.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
My thoughts exactly. There's no reason to be upset. This is a direct win for customers. The people complaining should take a step back and ask themselves why exactly are they upset over this...

It's still £49.99 on EGS just like Steam, but with EGS I lose out on Steam forums, potential Proton/Steam Play support, Steam controller/SCAPI support and Steam cards.

I literally gain nothing from this going to EGS, and lose quite a lot, for no discount.

This money hatting of games is cancerous.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA

tenor.gif

James_liv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Console gamer here.
I genuinely don't understand the fuss.

If a game was both on Steam and Epic what difference does it make where you buy it from.

I don't understand why people would skip a title because of the store you need to buy it from.

Thank in advance.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Console gamer here.

If a game was both on Steam and Epic what difference does it make where you buy it from.

I don't understand why people would skip a title because of the store you need to buy it from.

Thank in advance.

You don't understand or want to read it seems.

This thread has the answers.it makes sense that so many of the 'what is the matter' are all console users.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think that's a denial so much as an acknowledgement that it wouldn't really be up to the Epic Store. Giving Epic Store keys to third-party key resellers would be a publisher decision. All the Epic Store controls is whether they give out redemption keys at all, and the limits/costs of doing so. They wouldn't be in the position of saying certain resellers are officially sanctioned or not.
Well I found it quite telling that Epic have not said that they'll offer publishers unrestricted free key generation. I think if they were offering that they'd say so. Without offering that, there's no way we're going to see equivalent to what we have for Steam keys today.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
** US consumers only **
News to me Canada and the UK got annexed by Britain. Why are we trying to make a wall again?

Even with the ops recent update 3 minutes ago it is inaccurate. The messaging is getting garbled because Epic is moneyhatting so quickly and furiously previous arrangements are being updated regularly.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you actually read my post instead of cutting out 80% of it for a quick reaction you could see i said exactly that.
sorry if i made a mistake but i don't think i'm misreading it. my point is that a lot of the people defending epic on buying exclusives aren't in favor of that practice because of some principle, they just dislike steam and valve. so they probably wouldn't be OK with valve doing the same thing.

smuguire

Oct 27, 2017
Console gamer here.

Thank in advance.

As of tomorrow, It isn't both on Steam and Epic. The game is coming out in two weeks and all of a sudden today they are pulling it off Steam.

dalq

Feb 13, 2018
Oh if only the Epic Store had regional pricing... The way it is now, might as well just not buy it.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Console gamer here.

Thank in advance.

4mmnpuhsjmgikghcahgc4qmkow.png

And there are even more features that aren't listed like achievements etc.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I know it sounds stupid to say you won't buy a game because of this but if you don't like a business practice what can you do other than vote with your wallet..