• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

socarraet

Banned
Jan 22, 2019
Do you think they suddenly changed their minds 2 weeks before release for nothing?
The Epic Store has been a thing for a while now. If they prefered their cut policy they would have not waited so long to announce it.
It's clear what Epic has done, more so knowing Epic historial.

Edit: I was replying to this

Ah, so purely guessing. Gotcha.

Last edited:

smuguire

Oct 27, 2017
The exclusivity of Half-Life 2 at a time when exclusivity didn't exist helped jumpstart Steam into what it is today. You could only buy the game off of Steam or buy a boxed copy that simply came with a key, which had never happened before in PC gaming. There were a ton of "Never Steam" types just as there are "No steam, no buy" types today.

Valve invented PC exclusivity.

Actually, Microsoft invented PC exclusivity with Windows since it couldn't run Mac games

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Super Giant is an indie studio. Hades may be well known here on Resetera (gaming enthusiast forum), but isn't super well know to the greater populace. Also, y'know you can just launch the Epic Store to see Donut County, My Time in Portia, Edith Finch, Tiny Builder, etc... please stop moving the goal post already.

bastion sold many many many copies. Transistor also sold many many copies.

I asked you to name one indie developer that is getting buried on the steam store, AKA a indie developer that isn't well known or high profile.

You named a\ high profile indie dev. BZZZZZ do not pass go, try again.

You need to brush up on your reading comprehention or stop arguing in bad faith. In no universe is the developer of Bastion, which had a amazing Steam and Console debue years ago, considering a suffering and buried indie dev.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Most likely: Deep Silver releases Metro Exodus on both Steam and Epic Games Store....majority buy it on Steam, Deep Silver forced to pay Valve 30% of a majority of those initial sales.
lmao it still more money that with epic game store...only reason epic moneyhats them is cause they know they will lose to steam. its that simple. minbloggling how you would not even mention this in your super analysis.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Was considering an impulse buy to get the Steam version, then realised I probably won't even get round to the game till next year. So no loss on my end

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? I admit or deny nothing really.

From a business point of view, they think it is better to put it on Epic store.
The most logical decision would be to sell the game on multiple storefronts. Not Steam only, but also GMG, Humble, Fanatical.

whistleklik

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
When I saw this posted on twitter my stomach began to feel heavy like I just ate some soggy nacho fries from taco bell. I began to wonder if PC gaming is going into a bad place again. I usually buy my steam keys from various sites to get it on the cheap. It's been a while since I purchased a full priced game on steam. Kentucky takes a $3.60 tax now on a $60 game. Also Epic and Deep Silver can go eat miracle whip sandwiches.

Xclash

Oct 25, 2017
CDkeys has updated the Metro Exodus store page. It now shows Epic Games symbol instead of Steam
G6qHeSr.jpg

https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/metro-exodus-pc-cd-key

Fuck. This. Shit.

Welp, buying off non-storefronts is going to suck from here on out.

For the record, I also pre-ordered Metro Exodus. Was always going to Day 1 since I have a 2080ti.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
How much was cdkeys charging for the steam version prior to them changing to Epic Games store?

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Short term gain for 4A/DS, but I wonder if it'll bite them in the ass long term. I mean, personally I believe gamers are fickle consumers enslaved to their desires and have no principles, so...no, but then again....maybe. Maybe 4A have tarnished their reputation and all their future games will sell less than before because of this. Who knows!

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's not available in myr. How is it fake news?

How is that fake news?
The poster had said that the game would be more expensive in Canada when it was 50 USD already. Roughly the same price from steam.

For some regions it will be more expensive, but in that specific case, it isn't.

I just looked at what those 7 great games ( 90 or higher ) were on ps4 ( didn't take the time to check the 2 other console ) :

Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - first party
Monster Hunter: World - - 2018 on PC too, but meta score of PC version is 88
Celeste - 2018 on PC too, but meta score of PC version is 88
Shadow of the Colossus - first party
Divinity: Original Sin II - Definitive Edition - 2017 on PC
God of War - first party

and finaly Red Dead Redemption 2 the only game in that list where EPIC policy of giving money to devs for an existing game so they release it on their platform may have changed that. All the other game are either case of the same games not having the same score, games not getting released at the same time, or finaly... first party games ( and on that front, the last EPIC game to have a 90(+) metascore is Gears of War 3 (X360) in 2011; for Valve it's Dota 2 in 2013 ).

We finally have a publisher for PC who is willing to give money to get games, something that Valve shall have done a long time ago.
If you take a look at the top scoring games on Metacritic for 2018, none of them were available on PC. Epic may change that.
I know this is a troll post, but just to complement what elyetis has said, 6 out of 7 Xbox 90+ games are available on PC (RDR2 again being the exception).

Last edited:

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Super Giant is an indie studio. Hades may be well known here on Resetera (gaming enthusiast forum), but isn't super well know to the greater populace. Also, y'know you can just launch the Epic Store to see Donut County, My Time in Portia, Edith Finch, Tiny Builder, etc... please stop moving the goal post already.

Those are literally the most mainstream indiedevs you could possibly come up with.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just glad whoever it is at Epic who is money hatting these games doesn't share the same taste in games as I do. So far every one of their selections I wasn't going to buy at full price or at all anyway. As an avid steam link user the epic store can get fucked.

I felt this way until Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw went Epic-exclusive.

No desire to support Epic so I'm "content' with waiting 12 months. But it still stings, man.

I'm genuinely curious how many Fortnight PC customers Epic can parlay into paid-content customers on their store.

I guess it's relatively easy to draw a crowd to your launcher with a FTP game that's the latest rage. But does that translate to paying customers with titles that are full price?

Time will tell I guess.

Oddly, if Epic were practicing true open-market policies, I'd wish them nothing but luck. But seeing them lock down non-published exclusives onto a bare-bone service kinda makes me want to see them fail.

It's such a bad look. It reminds me of someone who suddenly gets rich by winning the lottery or something and they don't know how to conduct themselves with grace & civility. Just running around flaunting their new-found riches with zero class.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Using ">" really, is this 4chan?
Looks like some people are confusing making a bigger profit on their work as some form of bribery. Business is business, if going to Epic isn't profitable they'll go back to Steam. But, The majority of devs I follow have been quite positive about Epic. Fortnite is the biggest game right now, a large portion of the kids playing it, don't have a Steam account, and may never have one.

This is something that strategically, I think people are under-selling in discussion: There's a large, non-overlapping market of relatively young players who have the Epic Store because of Fortnite who have (or will soon have) their own disposable income. Those are already proven "buyers" because of the clear success of the transaction model in Fortnite. I think Epic is investing right now, and is likely using that pitch with publishers right now, because this current year looks like a peak "conversion" window for those new players. This is beyond having better publisher terms.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People have been saying this game will bomb so this is likely a good thing. The publisher will get a nice cut from Epic for the exclusivity so when the game bombs it won't hurt them as badly. This is good, people!

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
lmao it still more money that with epic game store...only reason epic moneyhats them is cause they know they will lose to steam. its that simple. minbloggling how you would not even mention this in your super analysis.

Companies are willingly going to Epic because paying 12% is a hell of a lot more enticing than paying 30% (first $50 million in sales) and 20% after that.

Ipos

Banned
Dec 12, 2017
User Banned (1 Day) - Ignoring Mod Post & driveby
Well, i just got my reason to buy the game.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think you misread my post.

I didn't mean a majority will wait a year. I meant that if the game were on both Steam and Epic Store at launch, a majority would buy it on Steam.

Yeah misread it.

Companies are willingly going to Epic because paying 12% is a hell of a lot more enticing than paying 30% (first $50 million in sales) and 20% after that.

Actually no, my statement still stand. They're going to lose sales and money in a big way with no moneyhat.

Last edited:

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't used the Epic store, but that alone wouldn't stop me from buying this. It's shitty that they're doing this so close to launch, but at least it's cheaper for Americans.
It's not really. Not if you buy from cdkeys/greenmangaming etc.

Plenty of other places as well. I buy all my new release Steam-client games outside of Steam.

Heck, I got RE2 and DMC5 Steam US deluxe versions at Voidu for $48 each via a pre-order promo they ran last year. That wouldn't have been possible if such a thing happened with those. These exclusives so far haven't hit me personally yet, but I prefer Steam for the robust feature set and such ability to find the best deal, but having those potentially taken away by exclusivity deals does not sit well with me. I mean I get the better publisher cut is attractive to the publisher, but at the end of the day, I would want the best deal and features for me personally, and these exclusives are not that.

Last edited:

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Most likely: Deep Silver releases Metro Exodus on both Steam and Epic Games Store....majority buy it on Steam, Deep Silver forced to pay Valve 30% of a majority of those initial sales.

No moneyhat
Metro Exodus on EGS -> lower sales but 88%
Metro Exodus on Steam -> Higher sales but 70%

Moneyhat
Metro Exodus on EGS -> lower sales but 88%

88% + 70% > 88% + 0%

Like satisfactory dev said, they get money for 12 months exclusity, stop spinning around your theory.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
This is just pathetic at this point. I'm not saying Deep Silver is good for honoring pre-orders, but they should have stay on Steam AND Epic instead of going full Epic only considering they've already sold Steam copies and retail copies with Steam keys.

Another publisher I'll only buy the games for 75% off or more, they are showing they are only able to follow the money so I'm giving them less money from now on.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I felt this way until Rebel Galaxy: Outlaw went Epic-exclusive.

No desire to support Epic so I'm "content' with waiting 12 months. But it still stings, man.

I'm genuinely curious how many Fortnight PC customers Epic can parlay into paid-content customers on their store.

I guess it's relatively easy to draw a crowd to your launcher with a FTP game that's the latest rage. But does that translate to paying customers with titles that are full price?

Time will tell I guess.

Oddly, if Epic were practicing true open-market policies, I'd wish them nothing but luck. But seeing them lock down non-published exclusives onto a bare-bone service kinda makes me want to see them fail.

It's such a bad look. It reminds me of someone who suddenly gets rich by winning the lottery or something and they don't know how to conduct themselves with grace & civility. Just running around flaunting their new-found riches with zero class.

The fact that they are money hatting for games coming out on Steam shows they dont think they can get their Fortnite users.

If their demographics are true and most of their fortnite users dont have steam, there is no need to money hat for exclusvitiy away from steam if they just want their fortnite users to buy from the Epic STore, they would just directly adverstise to them and get a percentage of them to buy games on the store, its not like Valve could advertise aginst them, they cant touch fortnite.

This moneyhatting is 100% to get the Steam Audience to begrudgingly go for the Epic Store and not their supposedly targeted Fortnite community.

Oct 27, 2017
I can already buy the game for less on established sites and I'm not really convinced the saved revenue cut will either go into the game or to the developers, so what's the point to do this now?

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Short term gain for 4A/DS, but I wonder if it'll bite them in the ass long term. I mean, personally I believe gamers are fickle consumers enslaved to their desires and have no principles, so...no, but then again....maybe. Maybe 4A have tarnished their reputation and all their future games will sell less than before because of this. Who knows!

4A aren't happy. They have a statement on the store page

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony and MS usually help (*read pay a fuck load of money) with marketing outside of their store for the bigger games, so not exactly the same situation as Steam. But I'm sure they'd happily take money to take it away from 1 of those platforms if enough was offered.
This is false. Marketing deals are not included on the 30% , are you crazy? That's not how it works or has ever worked.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Which would still give them more money than sales from the Epic store with a "12%" cut. Which was already established is not 12%, it's just some additional cost is payed by the customer so the price is even higher than advertised.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
1. Fuck Epic for money-hatting third party games.
2. Fuck Deep Silver. I backed Shenmue 3 for 60 bucks for a physical box with a steam key. If they wanna give me a epic store copy i´m gonna demand a refund.
3. The amound of corporate bootlicking going on on here is stupendous.
4. The US games media is kinda sad in selling this as a good deal. Probably has to do with them being a vastly console focused one.