• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Valve's steep 30% cut.
First off, how is the industry standard proof that Valve is greedy?

Valve allows the creation of free Steam keys. That means you can literally sell it with 0% of the cut elsewhere if you choose. Valve doesn't make a cent of Retail copies or games sold on other storefronts, including the publishers.

Valve actually offers a ton for that percentage. We're talking viability, cloud saves, native controller support for everything under the sun, family sharing, guides, mod workshop, reviews, forums, and now even free linux support.

Whatever. Down with Evil Valve.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Eff off with this.

Valve putting a big ol' pouting message on the game's store page is shitty.

you do know that the DEVELOPERS AND PUBLISHERS control their store page and forums? if you are going to attack Valve at least dont be absurdly ignorant about it?

Considering that this is basic knowledge of anyone that knows anything about Steam, I think i did hit it on the mark, you are just a console warrior shitting up the thread.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling, ignoring modpost.
20 pages in little over 90 mins
Damn Epic got some y'all shook and valve really got its claws in ya.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
I can't believe there is so much exclusivity bullshit within a single platform. MS store, origin, gog, steam, now epic.

I bet valve is starting to wonder if they made a mistake all but dumping game development.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Wow. This is dumb and all the console gamers trashing people who want it on Steam can shut up. It's not about not wanting to have another launcher. I have pretty much all the launchers. Steam has so many great features I use for the benefit of the "consumer" yes remember you are a damn consumer and stop defending shittier deals just so the companies can get more money from you. People should be fighting for better options to the consumer, not less. Epic could bother to make their store actually as good as steam, but they won't since they get a bunch of dumb defenders when buying exclusives. Something that is shitty for PC gaming but is praised as good competition since it's more console like... gtfo.

Anyway I was really planning on getting this game so I just preordered on Steam to avoid being stuck with only the Epic store option for a whole year... At least I got it on the actual good service...

Oct 25, 2017
Valve comes off terribly here. I feel embarrassed for employees.

why?

So corporate greed is acceptable as long as Valve does it?

man you people are full of bs

i fail to see why it's so difficult to grasp that buying exclusives is a shitty move

like, the old forum went fucking bonkers when it happened with rise of the tomb raider. It's the same shit here.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad at least a couple of these incredible obnoxious "who cares about launcher" Trolls are getting banned.

So many of those users reek of anti-intellectualism by now. Time and time again we've had good, easy to understand explanations as to why this is an issue and many of those are obvious, to begin with. And yet it all gets ignored by the idiots who spam away anyway.

As for this specific news, it's incredible how brazen this moneyhatting has gotten and how this is supposed to be some great competition worth of praise is beyond me. Can anyone imagine these very same people praising Valve if they offered cuts like that and would've essentially destroyed all other competition? They didn't, thankfully, and provided actual positive competitive options with Steam keys and so forth.
ignore the fact that its clear epic did pay for a second, valve could offer the same rev split and still be profitable, they didnt b/c they had a monoply.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
Valve allows the creation of free Steam keys. That means you can literally sell it with 0% of the cut elsewhere if you choose. Valve doesn't make a cent of Retail copies or games sold on other storefronts, including the publisher's.
Valve actually offers a ton for that percentage. We're talking viability, cloud saves, native controller support for everything under the sun, family sharing, guides, mod workshop, reviews, forums, and now even free linux support.

Clearly, developers don't feel the same.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...evs-say-steam-earns-its-30-percent-cut-survey

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
i hate how deep silver is trying to sell us this as a pro consumer move. if it were why not release metro exodus on both steam and the epic store and let consumers decide where to buy? no this is just epic throwing fortnite money at devs trying to brute force consumers into accepting a inferior game launcher, nothing else. fuck deep silver and epic too, one game less i'm going to buy i guess. i will never ever download the epic store.
The spin around this business maneuvering on the back of consumer choice and platform quality has been the most disgusting part of it from the start.

Together with the blatant moneyhatting it has moved me from a somewhat neutral stance to one where I'll do everything I can to actively avoid giving Epic any money.

This is just an advertisement and is not atypical coverage of Epic's exclusivity deals:

The coverage in much of the media has been 100% bootlicking 100% of the time.

Eff off with this.

Valve putting a big ol' pouting message on the game's store page is shitty.
What?

A publisher sells a game, including retail copies where Valve makes 0%, on Steam, using all of its infrastructure and reach, and then suddenly shortly before launch cancels their distribution there based on a sack of cash they received?
And Valve is "shitty" by giving customers minimal heads-up on what's going on?

What?

Whicker

Jan 6, 2018
Ontario
For those saying its cheaper, it actually isnt. It was always 66$cad for me and its usually a direct conversion on steam. If i missed this please forgive me, this thread is going fast and hard to keep up with.

Steam

I was going to get it using the humble store 10% off, but you cant anymore. :(

verycutedog

Jan 21, 2018
Time exclusives/exclusives don't really bother me and I'm not sure what the outrage is about in most cases. Here though, it seems like the people who preordered on Steam got screwed.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Valve allows the creation of free Steam keys. That means you can literally sell it with 0% of the cut elsewhere if you choose. Valve doesn't make a cent of Retail copies or games sold on other storefronts, including the publisher's.

It also seems from my personal experience that Steam handles multiple devices pretty elegantly. I move from HTPC to my desktop and it's fine. Doing the same from Origin and Uplay and I always seem to be logging in every time, frustrating as hell. I haven't tried Epic's storefront and don't intend to.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017

I've stated this in previous threads: the industry standard 30% applies to companies who own actual monopolies - Xbox, Sony, Apple etc. No one can set up a rival storefront to compete with them, because the platform is theirs.

Valve got away with 30% for a long time and now they've got competition, and probably ought to respond if they don't want their market share to start dwindling.

Note: I am very pro-Valve, I love Steam and its features (especially controller support), which is why I'd like them not to be an ostrich with its head buried in the sand and actually start taking it to Epic (and whoever else might try their luck at a storefront).

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im not sure I blame Epic so much because its kind of their job to lure companies over. I would blame Deep Silver or whoever for taking the bait at the expense of people they already assured the game would be coming out on steam.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
The spin around this business maneuvering on the back of consumer choice and platform quality has been the most disgusting part of it from the start.

Together with the blatant moneyhatting it has moved me from a somewhat neutral stance to one where I'll do everything I can to actively avoid giving Epic any money.

The coverage in much of the media has been 100% bootlicking 100% of the time.

What?

A publisher sells a game, including retail copies where Valve makes 0%, on Steam, using all of its infrastructure and reach, and then suddenly shortly before launch cancels their distribution there based on a sack of cash they received?
And Valve is "shitty" by giving customers minimal heads-up on what's going on?

What?

We should talk about Epic moneyhatting the press too:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/genesis-alpha-one/genesis-alpha-one-ship-building
Promoted Content In association with Unreal Engine

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I've stated this in previous threads: the industry standard 30% applies to companies who own actual monopolies - Xbox, Sony, Apple etc. No one can set up a rival storefront to compete with them, because the platform is theirs.

Valve got away with 30% for a long time and now they've got competition, and probably ought to respond if they don't want their market share to start dwindling.

Note: I am very pro-Valve, I love Steam and its features (especially controller support), which is why I'd like them not to be an ostrich with its head buried in the sand and actually start taking it to Epic (and whoever else might try their luck at a storefront).

So you support Valve in money-hatting third party games?

thats the only compeition that would match Epics.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The revenue splitting was a dick move, but only made public what has been going on privately for years (and also happens on other platforms).

The "30%" was never a defined split. There's a dev on here who I believe works for EA who has revealed as much in the past.

Those were not the features I was talking about anyway. The tools I was thinking about were more along the lines of:

- Investing in stuff like SDL2, with easier cross platform controller support
- A bunch of stuff for easier VR development, including the OpenVR SDK and the VR focused renderer for unity.
- Open sourcing a bunch of networking code
- Establishment of the steam runtime for easier deployment on Linux
- Free hosting for community forums and an established method of getting player feedback (including bugs)

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Epic has pretty much managed to make Valve seem like "good guys" (or rather, less bad), which is a seriously impressive feat.
To be honest here, do you actually think that Valve of all companies don't have the money to do something like this themselves? "Good" or "bad" aren't relevant, there are fair practices and unfair ones. Valve hasn't been caught up in unfair practices since Steam launch even once. Epic has managed to screw PC gamers with its store several times during the last two months already.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
So I guess Deep Silver will do this with other titles too huh. Hope Shenmue 3 still comes to steam
I'd be mad as fuck if it didn't considering I paid 300€ for this game and I asked for a Steam key.
If this happens I will be LIVID.
I really hope Deep Silver don't pull this shit with Shenmue 3.
Remain calm, and wait for more info. If a game rep is available at MAGIC in March, Shenmue community outlets might be able to get some clarification if it's enough of a concern.

This isn't a publisher-wide exclusivity deal (I think?), and Shenmue III's status as an externally developed title (with other stakeholders besides Deep Silver) may exempt it even if it were.

Absolute worst case scenario is that it'll be the same as Metro - and all backers who requested a Steam key will still have their request honoured.

Last edited:

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So where do you want your goalpost moved? So now non-US consumers dont deserve a discount and deserver higher then base pricing because they dont live in the US.
Different countries, different economics. Every country is affected by the value of their currency, and if economic decisions in EU has caused their products to be more expensive then the people need to deal with their governments potential mismanagement. Also, if you are going to assert I moved a goal post you will need to demonstrate that I held a different standard before now, and I can assure you I have been consistently on the side of competition and unforced pricing.

Code Artisan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Inflammatory language; ignoring mod post.
You had your chance Gaben but you ruined it, now a bigger fish is coming after you. After two decades of misery, Epic will make PC gaming great again. Keyboards rise up!

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
Lmao, how was steam anti consumer or anti developer? Steam was the first major platform to introduce automated refunds, it has TONS of consumer friendly features like big picture, their controller api, overlays, fps counters, streaming, community forums, proper regional pricing...

they also allowe devs to generate steam keys that they could sell on other marketplaces.

I only installed Steam in the first place because I was forced to in order to play Half-Life 2. I bought a physical copy of the game and all it gave me was a key for Steam. That was unheard of back then. For every other PC game I had ever played up to that point, I could buy physical copies and simply install the game. There was a massive amount of backlash, with many people saying they would never buy the game and never install Steam. Steam fucking over consumers to build their base seems to have worked out pretty well.

Epic doing similar things to try to draw a market to their store isn't surprising.