• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when everybody was upset that Rise of the Tomb Raider would be on XB1 as an "exclusive"? Imagine if they announced it as coming on PS4 as well, and then a month before release they pulled the PS4 version. Not really the same, but the same sort of reaction.

Unless they still released it on PS4 for everyone who had already bought it

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
This isn't just the bigger cut that Epic gives to devs, it's also Epic dishing out a shit ton of money to publishers that want to switch to Epic Store for a year of exclusivity. I can't reveal my source but I know that's how it was for one game, Epic paid a LOT of money for the exclusivity.
Yeah. That should be obvious I would think. Nobody is gonna pass on the Steam audience without some sort of compensation.

Danim

Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

It has been explained in so many goddamn fucking threads why people don't like EGS and how Epic is handling it.

Goddamn.
Yeah but why bother educating yourself when you can post an idiotic hot take instead?

NiceRiceBowl

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
So you're saying you would be upset too if all of the sudden games started going somewhere else outside of your preferred delivery method that you have a huge library on for no real reason?

Or did you just come in here to platform war?

PC Gamer's still get to play the game though, it's not like it's being taken away from the platform. I just find it odd that some people will choose to skip the game entirely just because it's not on Steam yet it's still accessible

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when everybody was upset that Rise of the Tomb Raider would be on XB1 as an "exclusive"? Imagine if they announced it as coming on PS4 as well, and then a month before release they pulled the PS4 version. Not really the same, but the same sort of reaction.
TBF, if you only had a PS4 and you wanted to play it, you'd need to drop $400+ at the time to play it.
Here you need to spend like 5 minutes installing a new launcher.

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
Welp, I purchased it through Steam just now. There is no way I'm installing another game platform on my computer.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
No problems with this. Still can't decide if I want it on console or PC though

SlothmanAllen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So basically devs are moving from Steam simply because they don't like the cut taken by Steam and hope that the lesser cut that Epic takes will allow them to generate more money? My question is why don't they sell it on both stores and let the consumer decide which is the best platform for them? That way they get the best of both worlds. This "exclusivity" stuff sounds like a total excuse to hide moneyed backroom deals. Especially when you consider the superior featureset offered by Steam in comparison to Epic.

The lower price is a great deal on its own, and things like that would go a long way to selling Epics Storefront over fucking nonsense exclusivity. "Yo customers, we've got such a great storefront we've gone ahead and made the games so you can only purchase them here! We know you probably liked the more feature rich and robust storefront experience offered by our competitor, but rather than allowing you to experience the game on the platform of your choice, we sold out and took an unspecified amount of money in lieu of total sales as well as a greater cut of the sales do make. So fuck you in the end I guess."

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Are there any differences in content between the version on the Epic Games store and the version on Steam?
No, they have the same pre-order bonuses and in-game content. All future title updates, patches, and free and premium DLC will be released simultaneously across both versions.

Is this even true? Because on Steam since I preordered I have cloud saves and universal controller support as well as achievements.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Literally wheezed at "passing savings to PC gamers"

Yeah, soon we won't be able to buy 40~45$ Steam keys from cdkeys, Instant Gaming, etc, and we'll instead have to buy the game for $50 on Epic's Store. Thanks for passing these savings to me guys! Really appreciate it.
No, if everything "works out" for them, then soon you'll have to buy the game for $60 on Epic's store.

Because if moving there is no longer a shoot-yourself-in-the-foot move, you can bet those "passed on savings" cease.

And then you buy the game for $60 instead of $40-45 and you'll like it!

I have no idea what this backlash is for.
perspectivesv6e5w.png

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I get that Epic feels the need to do everything they can to break Steam's near-monopoly on the PC gaming space, but honestly this is a pretty lame maneuver on their part. Exclusive access aside, why are they picking games like Metro or The Division 2 (which will also be on uplay)? Those aren't games that will get people in the door. Epic's biggest strength is their Fortnite war chest, which is used impressively on their 2-free-games-a-month deal, and yet used very poorly here to get an AA game exclusive barely two weeks before launch. They're hardly going out of their way to not look like the bad guys here.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
I think the only solution is to ban BronsonLee. Clearly he's responsible.

Paying or getting pay for exclusivity is a shitty move, doubly so this close to release.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No family sharing
Garbage pricing (there's no price cut at all for EU)
No offline mode
No Linux compability
People on China literally notallowed to buy games from
Lack of important features like controller APIs.
Lack of features in general, shit is so barebones it can't even match a indie client like itch.io
Ok ok. No offline mode is a big deal for me. That type of stuff pisses me right the heck off. I understand now.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I won't care about Epic exclusivity when Epic Launcher has near complete feature parity with Steam but until that point it is anti consumer. Buying up exclusivity and forcing consumers to use an inferior launcher that lacks the vast controller options/API, no family share, no offline mode, no forums, no achievements, no big picture mode, etc.. In addition, I rarely buy games from Steam itself, I'm able to purchase from 3rd party websites for some nice discounts. At least with Metro, the publisher is giving some discount, but the vast majority of exclusives on Epic store don't and most likely won't in the future. Most of the time I buy brand new titles at 20-30% off, I'll be buying much fewer titles if I have to pay $60 and likely 0 titles if they all go to Epic store, just out of principle and I have a huge backlog. I also believe Epic is anti-sale so I wonder if there will be any summer sale events, etc or any discounts at all on their game store until official price drops?

Last edited:

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
It says the game will return in 2020 on steam

I don't mind waiting - same with any other titles that get released exclusively on epic

If it doesn't come to steam well, it will stay low priority until the price is low enough lol

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
Weird that the PC is supposed to be such a 'open platform' yet people are so angry that more than one gaming store exists on it.

Weird that we can actually be angry and fight against this on an open-platform. How's paying for online going?

Competition is to remove products sold from other stores? Jeez, I should have known.

If one thing has been made clear, it's that a lot of people here have the worst idea of what competition is.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And removing functionality from gamers.
Didn't you know it's a good thing epic is doing this and we should be bowing at them for buying exclusivity. I don't believe they are doing this for a little extra cut and not an extra payday from epic on top of the cut.

What's the issue? You're not going to be charged any money. They are pieces of shit because they decided they can take their goods and sell them somewhere else?
they can do what they want but making a game exclusive to one platform for moneyhats is pretty shitty.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
So...

The 30% cut Microsoft and Sony takes is perfectly fine.

They couldn't release the game on Epic's store for $50, without cancelling the Steam version?? Why the fuck is that?! That would be competing assholes.

I think I'll just buy your game used on PS4 and make sure I refund it within 7 days.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
How long until Tim Sweeney decides PC gaming is bad again and abandons it?
I would have no problem with Epic creating a store, I'd welcome it infact. The exclusives are the problem and go against everything PC gaming used to stand for.

Namdrater

Oct 27, 2017
Berlin / Cape Town
My issue is that they've taken it down from Steam less than a month before release. That's shameful.

I was planning on picking this up, but I'm not desperate. Luckily the game is releasing in February 2020 on Steam, hopefully with all the DLC's and expansions at a cheaper price.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
So basically devs are moving from Steam simply because they don't like the cut taken by Steam and hope that the lesser cut that Epic takes will allow them to generate more money? My question is why don't they sell it on both stores and let the consumer decide which is the best platform for them? "
Answer is easy: Epic paid them money to put the game exclusive on their store. Same with other developers.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
No, if everything "works out" for them, then soon you'll have to buy the game for $60 on Epic's store.

Because if moving there is no longer a shoot-yourself-in-the-foot move, you can bet those "passed on savings" cease.

And then you buy the game for $60 instead of $40-45 and you'll like it!
Actually Durante, I just found out that here in Europe it's still 60€, so we don't even get the pathetic attempt at a discount the USA is getting lmao. So it's even worse than I thought, which is impressive.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Is this even true? Because on Steam since I preordered I have cloud saves and universal controller support as well as achievements.
Those aren't in-game, so it's technically true. they're probably legally bound to release to DLC to everyone that bought the game on Steam unless they're going to revoke everyone's pre-orders.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get that Epic feels the need to do everything they can to break Steam's near-monopoly on the PC gaming space, but honestly this is a pretty lame maneuver on their part. Exclusive access aside, why are they picking games like Metro or The Division 2 (which will also be on uplay)? Those aren't games that will get people in the door. Their biggest strength is their Fortnite war chest, which is used impressively on their 2-free-games-a-month deal, and yet used very poorly here to get an AA game exclusive barely two weeks before launch. They're hardly going out of their way to not look like the bad guys here.

They are big titles to attract attention and who is to say Epic is approaching them and not the other way around? Maybe some of just trying to make a point that 30% is no longer reasonable.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So basically devs are moving from Steam simply because they don't like the cut taken by Steam and hope that the lesser cut that Epic takes will allow them to generate more money? My question is why don't they sell it on both stores and let the consumer decide which is the best platform for them? That way they get the best of both worlds. This "exclusivity" stuff sounds like a total excuse to hide moneyed backroom deals. Especially when you consider the superior featureset offered by Steam in comparison to Epic.

The lower price is a great deal on its own, and things like that would go a long way to selling Epics Storefront over fucking nonsense exclusivity. "Yo customers, we've got such a great storefront we've gone ahead and made the games so you can only purchase them here! We know you probably liked the more feature rich and robust storefront experience offered by our competitor, but rather than allowing you to experience the game on the platform of your choice, we sold out and took an unspecified amount of money in lieu of total sales as well as a greater cut of the sales do make. So fuck you in the end I guess."
epic is buying the exclusivity

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Ah more 'competition'! Epic just monopolising now getting the big pubs on their platform and off of steam. For all the steam haters... If you actually use it, it is 10x better than epic's store.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
people claiming the only reason people are annoyed is because they have to use another launcher, are more annoying than anything Epic/publishers are doing.

Stop being so ignorant and educate yourself before jumping in with these statements. It's tiring having to address this every single time this happens.