• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I know people are furious at Epic but I feel like part of the blame is on Valve here. They could lower their cut to Epic's level easily and still make plenty of profit, but they have chosen not to, which makes the Epic exclusivity deals so appealing.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
I'M SO ANGRY I'LL PAY TEN DOLLARS MORE TO HAVE MY BITS IN A DIFFERENT FOLDER!

Actually... no I won't. Thanks for the discount, dudes.

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
The 30% cut is obserd tho, these games can cost tens of millions to make and steam think they can take 30% just to put it on thier platform ? Don't blame all these smaller devs doing this at all unlike many on this forum. I don't mind downloading another Client on my pc.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I know people are furious at Epic but I feel like part of the blame is on Valve here. They could lower their cut to Epic's level easily and still make plenty of profit, but they have chosen not to, which makes the Epic exclusivity deals so appealing.
As epic paid to keep it off steam a lower cut won't make a difference.

mephixto

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a problem if the game is in multiple store and plataforms, but going exclusive 2 weeks prior release. Just asked for a refund on Steam on my pre-order, I don't support this shit 4A and Epic are pulling.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Gabe has to respond right? If enough big games leave steam they'll have to match the percentage.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it's not about the cut but how much epic paid to keep it off steam for a year.
Anyone who thought so is a grade A dumbass. Like, can people think for a second? If it wasn't a moneyhat why the fuck would they reduce the game price by 16%? Without that discount they'd literally would have a lesser cut than they would get on Steam.

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like nobody loses?

If you've already pre-ordered, you're good. If you're getting a physical version, you're good. If you wanna save $10 on the game, you're also good. Maybe the thread title should be updated to reflect this.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Steam is my go to store, but seeing the numbers about the steam cut plus the price. I do not feel bad, competition is welcome.

Oct 30, 2017
Why are people so pissed? Why do people give a damn about behind the scenes dealing? You get a game for cheap. Does the epic loader crash computers or something?
It's because people won't get virtual achievements or add a game to their virtual game backlog. Steam has a lot of people by the balls, it seems. Epic paid good money and consumers save about 10 bucks.

/shrug

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm . . . kind of ok with this.

I've been a Valve apologist for years, but their store practices are really irksome at this point.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
As soon as I saw this, I preordered on Steam.

But I didn't read the part where it was just a one year exclusivity. In that case, I'm thinking of just cancelling the preorder now to save some money lol

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I find it hilarious that the PR for every Epic exclusive has to be "we're gonna make way more money" since there's no actual way to spin it to anything else.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Another moneyhat. Amazing.
I'll get it on CDKeys then if it's a Steam key, in the hope the publisher will get as low money as they can.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
This is going to keep happening, hopefully it leads to a war of the storefronts where they battle over developer cuts, features etc.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Given Valve put this notice up themselves:

8pq59z.png

I think Valve is probably going to change Steam's TOS for Publishers soon so that once they start taking money/pre-orders using Steam's infrastructure they have a contractual obligation to STAY on Steam.

Something needs to be done about Epic going full-on Embrace-Extend-Extinguish.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Not supporting Epic in their continued effort to splinter my platform.

See you in a Steam sale years from now Metro. Sorry your publisher is shit.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Guess I'll just buy it for my 1X (or Scarlett, assuming it is playable on it) in a year or 2 when it is ~$15. I'll take the free games, Epic, but I'm not buying anything from your store.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Repeat with me kids:

Business are not your frieeends~

Doesn't affect me much, doubt I would have played/bought it in a year. It can wait.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I love that games are fleeing Steam like it's the plague. Introduce a better alternative, and it shows how eager they were to leave Steam.

Passing the savings onto the consumer is a great move too.