• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 11, 2017
India
User Warned: Self-Promotion
Source: https://www.spieltimes.com/news/met...t-epic-games-store-exclusivity-until-e3-2018/

Highlights
  • I interviewed a 4A Games employee. I can't reveal their identity as they requested anonymity.
  • The interviewee says they were surprised when they first heard about the Epic Games Store exclusivity.
  • The interviewee claims to have known about the decision only after E3 2018.
  • Working conditions and crunch culture at 4A Games were discussed.
  • The production process of Metro Exodus was discussed.
Key Quotes & Notes

Regarding Work Conditions

"The only real drawback is the office being a little more cramped than our Malta office and than any IT office in general", they commented. "We had to hire more people and we have a lot of special hardware on the place, so it looks like a mad scientist's lab. You know, screens of different size all over the place, consoles and so on."

Crunching at 4A Games

"Crunches are considered as a way of some geek party", they wrote. "Beer, pizza, all that. It was hard but fun working. Crunches are compensated with extra vacations. Usually, the office is empty after crunch, people rest and then continue. Also, management is very liberal if you need a vacation or day off. Work hours are flexible". "We have a guy who works only at night, he doesn't seem to be a vampire though", they added.

Epic Games Store Exclusivity

Update:
Just to clear up some confusion, the actual relevant quote there is "Well after that, that's all I can say". So it's well after E3 2018, they didn't go back to the office after E3 and learn about that. If they learned about it at the same time we did, it was still after E3 2018.

"Don't know for sure but definitely a surprise for 4A. But we are just developers. It's publishers business", they wrote. It was after E3 2018 when 4A Games was informed about the Epic Games Store exclusivity. Metro Exodus was still a game for Steam in terms of development before that time of period. "Well after that(E3 2018), that's all I can say", my source confirmed. The reaction of the employees at the 4A Games studios was mixed. "People are not concerned about money", they stated. "Everybody [at 4A Games] was sure it(Metro Exodus) was worth it. It's more about reputation. And people are blaming us [for the decision] though we had nothing to do with it."

Will the exclusivity deal affect Exodus' sales?

"No, or not noticeably", they commented. "We are still publishing on Steam, pre-orders are not affected by anything."

Dmitry Glukhovsky

"The scenarios are based on his books, and he is very supportive on the adaptation of his text into games. Also, he is very easily reached out." Glukhovsky has never interfered in the development process and never demanded alterations or changes in certain scenes or gameplay sequences to fit his vision of the Metro world. "It's more the other way. When we are not sure we ask him which option fits the lore", they wrote. "He's a really easy guy".

Budget

Metro Exodus was built with a budget that never limited the various departments, say art, level design, sound etc in terms of production. The team barely came across situations where things had to be laid off, cut or completely dropped due to financial/technical limitations. "Everybody was trying to make everything in a smart way to not lead to excess expenses", they claimed. "We really never had a situation where money was an issue. You see, the crew is experienced and people understand the business side well and don't need any management. People are self-motivated and self-managed. Nobody supervises anybody."
Metro Exodus has progressed as planned. 4A Games is confident the game's ready and at a level they visioned. Every aspect of the game has been improved significantly, be it the visuals, size, depth, quality and the overall Metro experience. "Are you confident the game's ready?", I asked. "Yes, otherwise we wouldn't ship it", they answered.

Post-Release

Coming to post-release content for Exodus, they commented the details are "classified", but told me not to worry as they are "busy" working on certain plans.
Another question I asked was, "Were you provided sufficient time to prepare the game? Or could you say, if you were given more time and budget you could have done better?"
"It's as good as it could no further time or money needed", they replied.
Interestingly, from what I've been told, Deep Silver has never put pressure on 4A Games to meet certain sales targets. "Deep silver set targets for themselves", they claimed. "We create, they sell."

MOD EDIT: Title change to avoid confusion

Last edited by a moderator:

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
E3 was six months ago. Didn't we only learn about the exclusivity in the last month? That's really bad.

Artorias

Oct 25, 2017
Even if the developers were informed about it after E3, would they even be allowed to discuss it? Still not really their fault.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Seems like a fairly positive outlook for the studio that being said wasn't Last Lights development hellish? Like no power in studio in cold ass weather.

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just to clear up some confusion, the actual relevant quote there is "Well after that, that's all I can say". So it's well after E3 2018, they didn't go back to office after E3 and learn about that.

If they learned about it at the same time we did, it was still after E3 2018.

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was ready to come in here to read about more horrific abuse of developers and terrible crunch culture.
Color me pleasantly surprised! Kudos to 4A for having a relatively decent working place!

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere before that the devs were not informed and it was a pretty sudden deal.
That's what I read as well, but I think even that was from an unconfirmed source like this. So who knows.

These things don't happen over night though. If nothing else, Deep Silver knew about it for quite some time and said nothing to the public while taking their money.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Waypoint also asked 4A Games about crunch last year. This is what Jon Bloch said about crunch at their Malta studio:
One thing we're focusing on across the show is labor practices in the industry. Looking at how studios deal with crunch, reaching a healthy work-life balance, and other issues. Does 4A Games make any specific effort to help combat crunch and make sure employees are treated fairly?

Bloch: It's kind of hard to live on an island like Malta and not have a good sense of work-life balance. We do work really hard as a studio, but we don't do crunch at all. We try to have a sense of self management when it comes to our schedule. People may work extra hours but that has to be a personal choice to make something they're working on better. We don't schedule extra hours, although it does happen.

Once you schedule or tell people that they have overtime, you're setting yourself up for failure. If you work to schedule things early, have everyone agree on it, and bring in that sense of individual responsibility then you're in a much better situation.

Are there instances with you, as a leader on the team, say "hey I know we all have the same passion, but this can wait until Monday."

Bloch: That sort of thing is easier said than done when you have a studio full of passionate people. It can happen when we have a company event, we can get people to leave their desks and go relax and spend time together. But when you really care about something, and when you're in the middle of it, you don't want to put it down—you want to make it better.

Like our creative director saw the smoke coming out of the train in the Red Dead Redemption 2 announcement trailer and said "Oh I have to go back and make ours better!" It's a healthy, competitive nature when your on the forefront of technology and visual excellence like we are.

It's also one of those things that's a never ending rabbit hole as well, because it's never really going be done. Like those sayings about art where you're never really finished. That stays true for everyone at the studio.
https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/nepw5d/game-development-crunch-japan-europe

So sounds like they don't mandate crunch, though also they don't do anything to stop their employees from crunching (which is still a problem).

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Seems like a fairly positive outlook for the studio that being said wasn't Last Lights development hellish? Like no power in studio in cold ass weather.
I remember reading about this as well.
They have since moved their office from Ukraine to Malta if I remember correct.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Through this whole cock-up, my chief concern was that Deep Silver would throw 4A under the bus in one way or another if the game didn't perform to expectation. But it seems like 4A has a pretty solid relationship with the publisher and doesn't seem to be a concern for them.

So that's cool, at least.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
So. They knew already it had exclusivity for the Epic Store.

But they still opened preorders on Steam after E3 and let them be open till now.
They didnt inform retailers, so retailers still sold Steam keys.
And the marketing material including trailers still used Steam.

Wow...

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018

But they still opened preorders on Steam after E3 and let them be open till now.

Wow...

Dont think 4A can inform retailers and talk about this without Deep Silver consent.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Dont think 4A can inform retailers and talk about this without Deep Silver consent.

The thing is if that was known after E3 2018, Deep Silver didnt do anything to inform retailers about it or even their own marketing team. Or they did it on purpose.

Steam preorders went up in August 2018. The marketing material including trailers and promotion material were literally using the Steam logo in the latest trailers till January.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Deep Silver has literally been engaging in false advertising for the physical versions for months despite knowing they wouldn't ever deliver the steam key they promised. Jesus fucking Christ Deep Silver.

GoaThief

Oct 25, 2017
Just to clear up some confusion, the actual relevant quote there is "Well after that, that's all I can say". So it's well after E3 2018, they didn't go back to office after E3 and learn about that.

If they learned about it at the same time we did, it was still after E3 2018.
This should probably be in the OP.

Their attitude to crunch seems balanced, 4A seems a decent place to work.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe the talks between Epic and Deep Silver started after E3 but only finalized just a few weeks ago?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Well well well.

Let me get my popcorn ready. So they've known since around June of 2018 (nebulous "later") that it wouldn't be on Steam? This is some bogus shit, boys. Their crunch sounds nice, though. Or, nicer than most.

Can't wait until this Jimquisition. Get on it, Sterling!

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So Deep Silver and Epic must have started talking before E3 and the deal finalized months ago, we (and valve) were just informed a couple days ago.
Funny enough I remember seeing a Windows logo after the Microsoft e3 metro presentation so I assumed it would come to more than one shop...

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017

Wow...

I want to believe that they started to talk around that time but the deal wasn't closed until few weeks ago. Because otherwise... lol.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
It's weird many people are trying to blame these guys for the exclusivity deal. It's nonsense actually

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is a drive by post, but at least I am glad these controversy surrounding 4A games could make metro enter the mainstream finally. They deserves that recognition.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Deep Silver can't catch a break with all these negative PR around them. Even an otherwise positive article throws shades at their business practices. Play stupid games win stupid prizes I guess.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, Deep Silver. What the fuck? Now I can't trust that any of your pre-release titles will actually release on the advertised platform.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I'm confused; it sounded like the exclusivity deal was known about much longer in advance, yet they still used Steam to market the game for them until two weeks before release.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, Deep Silver. What the fuck? Now I can't trust that any of your pre-release titles will actually release on the advertised platform.
Except Metro is releasing on Steam eventually and people who pre-ordered get the Steam version. The question mark seems to be around the physical version. As in, when the decision was made to switch to Epic keys for that version, what factors were involved, and such. Like, I don't think the EGS even HAS game keys currently.
Thought so. Pretty scummy to use a store to advertise your game when you know full well you aren't going to be selling it on Steam for a year just prior to release.
They did sell it on Steam, though. That's why they opened pre-orders for a good six months or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.