• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Played this on pc with a rtx2060 at 1080p and was blown away with how great it looked .

I'll definitely give it another play on series x

Hasi

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Very exciting, they had that super nice global illumination with RT, I think that was my favorite RT implementation yet and I'm hopeful it works great on consoles. I think it goes beyond better photo realism, it enhances the atmosphere so much.

Dictator do you have any insight into why more devs aren't doing RT GI? Is it harder to implement or a lot more performance intensive or something? I haven't seen it anywhere but this game.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Metro has my fave ray tracing in a game tbh, prefer it to Control.

It's just a bigger deal having realistic and consistent lighting in an open world with dynamic day/night.

I don't even think Metro does RT reflections either, it's SSR I think cause you see the image change when out of camera. RT is more than reflections
It only uses RT for real time GI.

Which looks *great*.

Very exciting, they had that super nice global illumination with RT, I think that was my favorite RT implementation yet and I'm hopeful it works great on consoles.

Dictator do you have any insight into why more devs aren't doing RT GI? Is it harder to implement or a lot more performance intensive or something? I haven't seen it anywhere but this game.
Well it depends on what your game is trying to do. Metro Exodus doesn't have a lot of shiny surfaces. It has a real time day / night cycle. So doing RT GI makes a lot of sense. If a game has fixed times of day (like Spider-Man say), doing RT GI is a massive waste of resources. And I'd always argue that if your open world game is based in a city, RT reflections are probably going to do more for the look of your game.

RT shadows are a good choice if your game isn't doing real time day / night cycles, and if it doesn't have a lot of reflective surfaces. Baked GI can look fantastic if your lighting is fixed.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I own it but haven't played it as I heard the frame rate was bad on my base PS4. I'll wait for the PS5 upgrade now then

LV-426

Oct 29, 2017
Awesome this is still sitting in my backlog so glad I waited! Free upgrade is nice to hear.

Aug 30, 2020

Why more devs aren't doing RT GI is easy, because it's extremely performance intensive. More than shadows, reflections, or AO. Technically if you do full fat RT GI without taking shortcuts, that is path tracing. I'm sure the Metro implementation on PC is already optimized (taking shortcuts), however.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why more devs aren't doing RT GI is easy, because it's extremely performance intensive. More than shadows, reflections, or AO. Technically if you do full fat RT GI without taking shortcuts, that is path tracing. I'm sure the Metro implementation on PC is already optimized (taking shortcuts), however.
you can do RT GI without path tracing. the 3D Mark RT Feature Test does that, if I remember correctly

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm deciding if this is a good enough excuse to grab the complete edition in the Xbox sale. I had played on PC, but sort of fell off. I heard at least one of the expansions was really high-quality.

Aug 30, 2020
you can do RT GI without path tracing. the 3D Mark RT Feature Test does that, if I remember correctly

Like I said, it's taking shortcuts. And a lot of places that are doing "RTGI" are doing simplifications such as the cube world of Minecraft in software based RTGI implementations. Also a lot of time voxel cone GI is just called RTGI.

If your GI model is coarse enough you could never have accurate reflections off spectacularity (nor sharp enough shadows to really be labelled 'path traced' as well), but it is a virtual path traced routine, only too coarse for results applicable to anything but GI.

In Metro I guess the biggest shortcut might be just assuming every material is equally diffuse? Almost certainly much lower LOD. Even RT reflections use drastically lower LOD and GI would both reveal less of this AND Metro's palette isn't so colorful.

Last edited:

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Nice,I'll take a free upgrade on PS5...if only to reduce the insane loading times on PS4 which I think averaged out for me at about 8 mins,lol.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Great news about the free upgrade, let's just hope they fix the fucking controls. If you need to patch in five different presets for aiming sensitivity/smoothing (aside from the normal sliders), then you've fucked up somewhere.

Was considering grabbing it on sale now for the upgrade later, but after playing it for a couple hours near launch and remembering how miserable that was just gonna pass now. The controls felt like shit. I have no clue how an experienced dev can release a game that just fails at the basic fundamentals of how games work in this decade.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gorgeous game. I bought the expansion on the 1X and haven't gotten around to it yet, so maybe I'll do a full campaign replay plus DLC on the Series X in the future.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Was considering grabbing it on sale now for the upgrade later, but after playing it for a couple hours near launch and remembering how miserable that was just gonna pass now. The controls felt like shit. I have no clue how an experienced dev can release a game that just fails at the basic fundamentals of how games work in this decade.
It's utterly baffling. I get that QA doesn't solve everything and sometimes bugs need to be ironed out after launch. But on launch and even now if you use the default settings, the right stick sensitivity etc is immediately obvious as unusable. Literally anyone could tell you that within seconds of starting the game.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
It's utterly baffling. I get that QA doesn't solve everything and sometimes bugs need to be ironed out after launch. But on launch and even now if you use the default settings, the right stick sensitivity etc is immediately obvious as unusable. Literally anyone could tell you that within seconds of starting the game.

It's almost impressive. There's been dual stick shooters on console for two decades. This isn't novel stuff. You should maybe try to get the absolute basics of your game right. Game studios, in general, just need better people running the show.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Really hope they add cross with pc. Got about half way on pc via gamepass and would buy it if I could continue on XSX from where I left off. Given the story-focused nature of the game I dont really wanna start again.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Once was enough for me tbh. This really wasn't a very enjoyable game. The open world didn't really add anything at all and trying to take their bad voice acting and poorly written story seriously just became impossible. This franchise has so much potential but they never quite get there outside of its visuals...kind of like crysis now that I think about it 🤔

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Very nice. The game runs maxed out (without RT) In Native 4K on a simple R5700. and next-gen consoels are much better than it so it gonna be fine with RT too.