• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
From 4A Games' website: http://www.4a-games.com.mt/4a-dna/2020/11/17/metro-10th-anniversary-studio-update

On Metro Exodus coming to Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5:
We're currently hard at work on bringing Metro Exodus to Xbox Series X | S and PlayStation 5 next year. While we can't share all the details just yet, you should expect major enhancements including faster frame rate, increased resolution, reduced loading times, and stunning Ray Tracing features made possible by the new hardware. The new consoles are amazing, and will allow us to deliver visual enhancements and performance only possible on state of the art PC hardware and RTX enabled cards – until now.

We're happy to confirm that these enhanced versions will also be made available as a free upgrade to all existing owners. That means if you already own Metro Exodus on Xbox One or PlayStation 4, whether digitally or on disc, you will be able to upgrade to this enhanced version on the next generation on consoles for free.

On the next Metro game and them exploring multiplayer concepts:
It's no secret that we have already started work on the next Metro game. Using everything we've learned from the last 15 years, we've set our sights even higher – the next title is being built for Gen 9 consoles and PC, with a complete overhaul of our engine and renderer to take advantage of the new power, storage, and hardware supported ray tracing afforded by the new consoles.

We're not ready to share anything more, but we wanted to reassure our fans about a few important topics.

First – we're committed to delivering a great story driven single player experience; this is what the Metro series is founded on. As a studio, we want to constantly push ourselves to create bigger and better games, but we also listen to what the fans are saying, and we know what's important to you. We take our responsibility to the franchise seriously, and we think you'll be excited about our plans for the next chapter.

Multiplayer

At the same time, our partnership with Saber will allow us to explore something that has always been an ambition for 4A Games, but something we have never been able to commit to until now: a multiplayer experience in the Metro universe.
As a small studio we have never been able to do justice to these ambitions, and our ideas have never made it beyond the prototype phase. But with Saber's experience in online gaming, we are now actively exploring multiplayer concepts that will offer a new way to experience the world of Metro.
We know some of our fans have concerns whenever they hear multiplayer mentioned, so we wanted to tackle this topic head on and talk about some of goals and principles behind this early exploration.

Let's start by saying, we hear your concerns. We're not looking at multiplayer as a box-ticking exercise, or to jump on some trend or bandwagon. As creators, we want to explore a multiplayer experience that makes complete sense in the Metro universe.
We're also committed to ensuring that whatever we do, it's not to the detriment of our single-player ambitions. We'll need a dedicated team focused solely on the online component, and this is what our new partnership with Saber can bring; years of expertise, technology, and know-how to help us realise our ambitions.
Additionally, a reminder that it's still early days – none of the thoughts above mean that the next Metro game will be multiplayer only; or that the next game will have single and multi-player in the same package. We are still figuring things out, but know that we are absolutely committed to more single-player, story driven experiences in the Metro universe that our fans have come to know and love.

They're also hiring to become a multi-project team so they can develop a new IP:
NEW IP

Finally – while we expect to be working on Metro for many years to come, we want to stretch ourselves by exploring new projects and new IP. In 2017 we released Arktika.1, a sci-fi FPS for the Oculus Rift, and our first steps towards a goal of being a multi-project studio. We now want to grow this ambition to another new AAA experience that can sit alongside the Metro series. We're hiring across both our Malta and Kyiv studios to help us bring these dreams to reality, so if you think you have what it takes and want to join our team, head to our careers page and apply at 4a-games.com.mt/careers !

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yessssss.

Exodus was already one of the best looking games on last gen. Ran at native 4k on the One X so can only assume there's not much left to push resolution wise so a next gen version should (hopefully) mean 60fps. And they talk about ray-tracing...

Loading times are a bitch on this game, even when running in BC from the new console's SSD. Hopefully there's work to be done then. Very happy.

BoxScar

Jul 21, 2020
One of my favourite series, but had some issues running it on PC gamepass.

Will gladly double dip.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Exodus yet and only recently played the first two for the first time. I'll wait now :)

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Oh my god.

Exodus was the game that really made me wish for next gen. Those 5mins loading screens were brutal.

If they fix that, I may give it a second playthrough

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
I've beaten this game twice. I almost never replay games but this one was special.

If they go forward with metro multiplayer lawd have mercy.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
The initial loading time for this game on console was insane lol,probably one of the longest I ever saw,just that will be a huge bonus ;)...I enjoyed this but some chapters where amazing while others not so much...not sure I would play this again but awesome for new players on next gen.

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Hope they go for something interesting in multiplayer, be it player versus player or cooperative/story-driven. I'd be more interested in the latter then the former, but we'll see. More interested in what's next for Metro, hopefully more on that next year.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Exodus was already a looker so I'm eagerly anticipating those enhancements. I really quite enjoyed Exodus in general really, I think the more risky approach with the open environments was a good decision.

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
The announcement I have been waiting for!
Will grab the game in Microsoft's Black Friday sale as soon as I am home.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Never got around to playing this through PS Now (it leaves in a couple days) and am kinda glad I did, this'll be better!

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Awesome stuff. It was certainly different to the first two (much the like the third book was) but it was very good experience overall (unlike the third book)

Love the free upgrade.

Can't wait to play the second DLC with some nicer visuals, even if they were pretty damn good already

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Great news about the free upgrade, let's just hope they fix the fucking controls. If you need to patch in five different presets for aiming sensitivity/smoothing (aside from the normal sliders), then you've fucked up somewhere.

Sundrowned

Oct 27, 2017
MN
I've always meant to get into this series. Are the Redux games worth playing first? The bundle on Xbox is $5.99 right now - have to assume that's more than worth it.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Loved the previous Metro games and playing right now Exodus and I'm absolutely amazed by the game.. silent protegonist doesn't work this time aswell as it worked in 2033 or Last Light, but otherwise it's a fantastic FPS experience.. you have your great claustrofobic sections like from previous games and still scary and tense open levels.. likeable and interesting characters, different approaches how to tackle missions, great weapon system, living AI systems even though still not at the same level as STALKER games had it, many suprises, great level and world design, great worldbuilding, so many great and interesting gameplay systems and features, fantastic graphics even without RTX, etc.. it's already one of my favorite FPS games ever, just like previous Metro games

Really looking forward to the new Metro game and what ideas they are going to bring in the next one

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Bought the Season Pass recently and just started playing this week. Glad I didn't start earlier. Will definitely wait now.
This game is already amazing on X1X, I can't even imagine it on XSX. Will probably be the best-looking next-gen game when it comes out.

Nov 8, 2017
If you somehow missed out of this game, make sure you jump on it when these upgrades are out. It's a great game and one I look forward to playing again with the improvements.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
This is great, albeit with the 10th anniversary of 2033 coming up, would have been extra nice to include an enhanced trilogy pack - 4k versions of 2033/Last Light with the enhanced settings from the PC version.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Nice! Loved the first two games and slept on this. I expected a paid upgrade, but glad to know its free.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This felt awful on the 1X. If they fixed the input lag and frame rate, I'll give it a shot again. I liked the first two remastered.

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Bought the gold edition a few months back but haven't played it yet, will definitely wait for the PS5 version.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Gonna double dip for sure after already having played it on PC. Next Metro game is going to be crazy.

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
i've purchased all of the metro games and have yet to play any. i always seem to find a reason to delay playing them. looks like i just found another!

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Metro has my fave ray tracing in a game tbh, prefer it to Control.

It's just a bigger deal having realistic and consistent lighting in an open world with dynamic day/night.

I don't even think Metro does RT reflections either, it's SSR I think cause you see the image change when out of camera. RT is more than reflections

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
no need to add multiplayer to the next game...the Metro series is meant to be a single player, story driven experience