• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your favourite Metropark?

• Delhi Metropark or Dexter-Huron Metropark

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Hudson Mills Metropark or Huron Meadows Metropark

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Indian Springs Metropark or Kensington Metropark

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • Lake Erie Metropark or Lake St. Clair Metropark

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Lower Huron Metropark or Oakwoods Metropark

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Stony Creek Metropark or Willow Metropark

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Wolcott Mill Metropark or Thor the Dark World

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Downriver folks represent!! I used to live in Lincoln Park, I also have family from Taylor, Flat Rock and Wyandotte. Outside of that there I also have family in Dearborn. If there's ever a meetup I'll be interested, I no longer live in the Detroit area but I visit at least a few times every year.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
Check out the Dream Cruise once, OP, and unless you're a car freak, you'll never need to do so again. It's more of a pain in the ass when you live near Woodward, what with the added traffic from people cruising weeks early, to the people having impromptu car shows in parking lots. I live in Royal Oak, and it's a nice area. Road work going on all over the place though, enjoy that.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Be sure to attend the Arts, Beats, and Eats in Royal Oak. It's at the end of the month and after checking online I just found out The All American Rejects will be attending and singing at the event.

We can totally do a meet up there.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
I like this thread a lot - I've lived in Michigan for 10+ years :)

If you ever feel like making a long drive, go to Ajishin in Novi - some of the best udon I've ever had in my life (includes Japan)

That's so funny, I just had dinner at Ajishin last night. I didn't get the udon, though. I ordered their curry rice, which is also delicious.

And if anyone is in the mood for ramen, get yourself over to Matsuchan. They're a small mom & pop place in Canton that's amazing. I've been going there forever. Try their curry ramen or tonkotsu ramen.

o.jpg

o.jpg

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I like this thread a lot - I've lived in Michigan for 10+ years :)

If you ever feel like making a long drive, go to Ajishin in Novi - some of the best udon I've ever had in my life (includes Japan)

Shit I was in Novi yesterday afternoon but my gf wanted to go to Noodles & Co, which was...kinda disappointing. I even had the udon there. Ugh. She lives in Novi and I left picking the restaurant up to her since I usually pick.

Oct 25, 2017
That's so funny, I just had dinner at Ajishin last night. I didn't get the udon, though. I ordered their curry rice, which is also delicious.

And if anyone is in the mood for ramen, get yourself over to Matsuchan. They're a small mom & pop place in Canton that's amazing. I've been going there forever. Try their curry ramen or tonkotsu ramen.

o.jpg

o.jpg
I've only recently found about Ajishin, and that's because I was going to the Moose Pastry in the same lot. Seeing people lined up outside at 11am to get in was wild.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

o.jpg

o.jpg

Matsuchan is lovely. I love their Korean style broth ramen.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Grew up in Melvindale, live in Redford now. All the spots suggested so far are real damn good. My rite of passage suggestion though is to go to a Detroit City FC match. And if you do, let me know, I'll buy you a beer (if that's your thing.)

o.jpg

o.jpg
With regard to ramen, Nagomi in Novi is pretty solid too. Hard to find and really haphazard lunchroom vibe inside but that's part of the charm. Also: Whatever Hippo is called now is still good. If you haven't been to the New Seoul Plaza yet definitely check that out - daebak is a very solid kbbq and they have a bingsu (shaved ice) spot in there too!

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shit I was in Novi yesterday afternoon but my gf wanted to go to Noodles & Co, which was...kinda disappointing. I even had the udon there. Ugh. She lives in Novi and I left picking the restaurant up to her since I usually pick.
My little sister worked at Noodles & Company until recently a few months ago they started combining jobs and adding more work to their employees while also over staffing the locations so no one was getting hours. So I got to eat their food a lot and it's all terrible. I don't recommend anyone going there, horrendous food and their working conditions are getting worse and worse. Just go to someplace local, there are a ton of good noodle places in the Madison Heights/Troy area whether it be Asian, Italian, and so on.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
I play Pokemon Go in Royal Oak every now and then. I mostly stick to Ann Arbor/Plymouth for that.

I drive all over the state for work. Lots of cool stuff to see and do and eat.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I grew up in Troy... then moved out to Seattle when I was 18 for college and have been living out here ever since. But I go back every X-Mas and sometimes for a week during the summers.

I pick up a Hungry Howies on the way home from the airport every time.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Better than Slow's you say?

What do you recommend on the menu?
I'm a brisket or pulled pork man myself. For the side either their sweet potato mash or the pit beans. Finish it with some of their candy bacon to go with.

Shack sauce for my BBQ sauce. They have 5 or 6 but I vastly prefer the Shack sauce. It's a nice Texas style with a little spice behind it.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
While we're talking BBQ, you should also check out Max and Bella's in downtown Plmouth. They're run by a super nice husband and wife in a little house converted to a restaurant right off the downtown area. Their food is great, so don't be surprised if some of it is sold out if you don't get there early enough. One of my friends has been disappointed a few times. He has a Cadillac-sized smoker outside in the back that he only fuels with apple and cherry wood, which is delivered six cords at a time by a supplier who lives two hours north of Plymouth. It smells incredible, and he says that's his best advertising.

https://maxandbellasbbq.com/

https://www.hometownlife.com/story/...-bellas-smokehouse-opens-plymouth/2535758002/

4e80f7c1-e573-4ed1-89db-bdf6b8a7f7ca-_DSC6109.jpg

o.jpg

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While we're talking BBQ, you should also check out Max and Bella's in downtown Plmouth. They're run by a super nice husband and wife in a little house converted to a restaurant right off the downtown area. Their food is great, so don't be surprised if some of it is sold out if you don't get there early enough. One of my friends has been disappointed a few times. He has a Cadillac-sized smoker outside in the back that he only fuels with apple and cherry wood, which is delivered six cords at a time by a supplier who lives two hours north of Plymouth. It smells incredible, and he says that's his best advertising.

https://www.hometownlife.com/story/...-bellas-smokehouse-opens-plymouth/2535758002/

o.jpg
Man, why are all these cool restaurants people are sharing here are a good 45-minute drive away?

machine

Oct 25, 2017
Enough about restaurants, what about that craft brew scene? I recently went to Witch's Hat in South Lyon for the first time and they have some great beers. If they have it on tap when you visit, you really should try the Bourbon Barrel Traxxx Night Fury. Of course, there are great craft brew places all over the metro Detroit area.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Try Dragonsmead in Warren, it's like 3 minute drive from my house. Get their Final Absolution. On tap it gave me the most cleanest buzz I've ever had compared to drinking a 6 pack of beer of literally anything.

Oct 28, 2017
Hey OP, welcome to the RO area! My wife and I just bought a house nearby last month, but we've been Michiganders all our lives.

Also, we talking about Ramen, now?? And no one brought up Urban Ramen??!? (In Midtown off Woodward)

pfjml7uvjod11.jpg

Seriously the best Tonkotsu I've had outside Japan (I'd say better than some I even had in Japan). I should have taken a nice picture before I had a few bites, but I just didn't have the patience.

Edo Ramen House in Royal Oak is super great as well, although I've only been there once so far. We tried two of their ramen specials, the Curry hotpot and the vegan mushroom ramen. The curry one was incredible, the mushroom was was kind of bland, but my wife liked it.

Meetup!
OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Ok, let's do this!

tC1K7pu.gif

As per Illusion 's suggestion lets have a Metro DetroitEra Meetup at Arts Beats & Eats!

• When: August 31st; 4PM
  • Where: Downtown Royal Oak; Exact Location TBD

Bear in mind that there is a small entrance fee on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, admission is $3 before 3pm, $5 after 3pm, and $7 after 5pm. This is admission fee supports the festival as well as 13 non-profit partners.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, let's do this!

tC1K7pu.gif

As per Illusion 's suggestion lets have a Metro DetroitEra Meetup at Arts Beats & Eats!

Bear in mind that there is a small entrance fee on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, admission is $3 before 3pm, $5 after 3pm, and $7 after 5pm. This is admission fee supports the festival as well as 13 non-profit partners.

Have fun you all! I am off to Jamaica that weekend but will try to show up at the next meet.

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018

o.jpg

o.jpg

Matsuchan is so damn good. I grew up in Canton and used to go there all the time. Haven't been back in a while though :(

The Hot & Spicy bowl is my favorite.

pTn9tV3.jpg

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, let's do this!

tC1K7pu.gif

Oh shoot we are doing this!

I'm definitely scheduling this in my calendar now. I hope 3 weeks is enough time for everyone to plan and make it.

Just some general tips for anyone:

1. Have some cash on hand for the event.
2. Parking meters will be down during the event, so you have to park in the parking garages or designated parking areas. Police are checking the surrounding neighborhood for people parking without a permit. $5-$10 parking beats a $500 parking ticket.
3. Great grocery stores in the area: Holiday Market and Trader Joe's is nearby if you need to pick things up.

B_Spooky13

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Highland MI born and raised.

Michigan is a very interesting place to live. While yes you have Downtown.. Royal Oak.. Ann Arbor. But if you come up near my side, theres at least 3 lakes within a mile of you.

Sand dunes.. Beautiful cliffs.. Light houses.. Mackinac Island.. Tip Up Town.. Traverse City.. Frankenmuth.. Dream Cruise.. Art beats & eats.. Hash Bash.. The Movement.

There is plenty to do. And the Autumns here are some of the best.. We have the best Apple cider

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Man, why are all these cool restaurants people are sharing here are a good 45-minute drive away?
It feels like everything is 45 minutes away no matter where you are 😂

I can't believe I forgot to mention Pop + Offworld downtown above Checker Bar - if you like pizza (more traditional tossed) and old arcades it is the way to go for sure

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Protip: This will sound absolutely bonkers, but stick with me...The mediterranean food in the gas station in Berkley (Mr. Kabob on the corner of 12 mile and coolidge) has no right being as delicious as it is.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok, let's do this!

tC1K7pu.gif

Hmm, unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to go as I have my driving test the day prior, and I may have work/will be getting ready for the school year.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017

o.jpg

Continuing on the barbecue train:

Texas Monthly, the definitive source for bbq critiques, end up loving A.B's Amazing Ribs in Dearborn Heights. I've never been but if Texas Monthly says go, you go.

I figured Southeast Michigan had delivered its one barbecue surprise of the day—until I got to Dearborn Heights. A.B.'s Amazing Ribs is a halal barbecue joint, serving only smoked beef, that opened in March. That means sausage, brisket, beef back ribs (which were sold out), and the best value of a beef short rib I've ever seen. For just $23, a smoked short rib weighing in at more than a pound is served with fries, mac & cheese, and cornbread.

The cutting is all done in the back, and the rib was boxed up in an aluminum foil tray when I paid for it. In my car, I took off the lid and found a beautifully smoked rib glistening with a thin glaze. The texture on it was perfect. I pulled chunks of meat and nicely rendered fat away from the bone and feasted on half a rib before bothering to try anything else. I don't know how they stay in business with these prices, but folks should be be beating down their door.

Xena

Oct 25, 2017
I moved from Kansas to Michigan 3 years ago. So much better, except the weather... f my life!
I work in Ann Arbor at a biotech company and like it over here.

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Why the hell is car insurance so expensive here? Just got a quote for $410 per month from Allstate, are they having a laugh? I paid $1500 a year in California...

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad this thread has been so food centric. Makes finding places for dates easy lol. Gonna take my girl to ajishin on sunday.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
Protip: This will sound absolutely bonkers, but stick with me...The mediterranean food in the gas station in Berkley (Mr. Kabob on the corner of 12 mile and coolidge) has no right being as delicious as it is.
My favorite Mediterranean is Beirut, which is right by the airport. Everything is fantastic.

Also don't forget downtown is like 5 minutes from Canada. My favorite dim sum place House of Lee closed 😢, but there are still a bunch of really good dim sum places there.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok, let's do this!

tC1K7pu.gif

I really want to do this but that day's hard for me. :(
I work until 7 that particular weekend. I hope it works out though and becomes a more regular thing!

SpudBud

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the area. Lived in Ferndale most of my life and it's a pretty nice place to live.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Texas Monthly, the definitive source for bbq critiques, end up loving A.B's Amazing Ribs in Dearborn Heights. I've never been but if Texas Monthly says go, you go.

They're still pretty new; I haven't been yet but have heard it's incredible and I'm close enough where I should get to soon...