• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's your favourite Metropark?

• Delhi Metropark or Dexter-Huron Metropark

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Hudson Mills Metropark or Huron Meadows Metropark

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Indian Springs Metropark or Kensington Metropark

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • Lake Erie Metropark or Lake St. Clair Metropark

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Lower Huron Metropark or Oakwoods Metropark

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Stony Creek Metropark or Willow Metropark

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Wolcott Mill Metropark or Thor the Dark World

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
0ekY0q5.png

I cannot believe there is no Metro DetroitEra! Almost four million people and no OT?
Seing as I am going to board a plane in a minute to fly to DTW and will thusly become a Michigandan in a matter of hours, I thought this needed rectifying.

So what have I gotten myself into by moving to Royal Oak, Michigan?

Any people interested in meetups or hanging out?

5JTZyzI.png

Last edited:

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a metro Detroit expat. And spend 1/3rd of my posting time posting about things happening in Detroit and Michigan largely.

machine

Oct 25, 2017
Royal Oak is yuppie central. A place where fern bars go to die. You'll probably find yourself spending more time in more interesting places like Ferndale or Hamtramck. [I'm in Ann Arbor]

And for the record, the best movie set in Detroit is Mr. Mom.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a metro Detroit expat. And spend 1/3rd of my posting time posting about things happening in Detroit and Michigan largely.

Like Wedge, Metro Detroit expat. Family still there, though, so I visit regularly.

Royal Oak is a pretty good place. Lots of hipsters and slowly diversifying after decades of being your average Detroit white suburb.

The Detroit Zoo is there and it's a nice visit.

Expect to drive everywhere because public transportation is a thing southeast Michigan is scrambling to catch up on.

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Royal Oak is yuppie central. A place where fern bars go to die. You'll probably find yourself spending more time in more interesting places like Ferndale or Hamtramck. [I'm in Ann Arbor]

And for the record, the best movie set in Detroit is Mr. Mom.
Well I guess I am a young urban professional, so maybe it seems appropriate. 😛

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Lived in Berkley for 10 years. Loved the small time vibe in the middle of the metro area, though the gentrification in the last ~five years kind of ruined that. Anyway, moved an hour north a year ago but visit often. Lots of friends and memories in Royal Oak.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I live in Royal Oak lol. It's a fun suburb with lots to do and nice downtown area. Overall I love the Detroit area, but yeah, the transit system sucks so i hope you have a car. There's an unreliable bus system, and the only train is a trolley that goes up woodward a few miles north of campus martius.

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Also, if anyone has any contacts in the Oakland School District, my wife an elementary school teacher looking for a new job would love to pick your brain.

Dean

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the thread! I'm a metro Detroit native (Warren) who's been interning in NoVA for the last three months. I miss it dearly and am ready to go home and have some Buddy's pizza.

matcha pocky

Oct 27, 2017
I like this thread a lot - I've lived in Michigan for 10+ years :)

If you ever feel like making a long drive, go to Ajishin in Novi - some of the best udon I've ever had in my life (includes Japan)

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It Follows is a great Detroit film!

I've lived in Michigan all my life. I would love to go to a meetup. I'm in Bloomfield Township.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the thread! I'm a metro Detroit native (Warren) who's been interning in NoVA for the last three months. I miss it dearly and am ready to go home and have some Buddy's pizza.

Allegedly there's a Detroit-style pizza shop open (opening?) in DC this month or next.

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
Welcome to the area! I lived in Ferndale for years, but just moved to Farmington Hills. There is a lot to do in Royal Oak, but I always preferred Ferndale nightlife (although as time goes on they are starting to become very similar). There are so many good restaurants around here it's nuts. I felt sad leaving all the good food when I left Ferndale but I'm shocked at how good some of the Farmington Hills places have been.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
Oh and OP, you're getting here just in time for the woodward dream cruise. Might be a cool thing to check out since you'll be right by it.

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Oh and OP, you're getting here just in time for the woodward dream cruise. Might be a cool thing to check out since you'll be right by it.
Neat, thanks for the heads up. Will check it out!

On a completely unrelated matter, why is the DMV not called DMV in Michigan? And is it going to be an equally awful experience even though it is called the Office of the Secretary of State? At least I made appointments ahead of time. Wish me luck for this afternoon.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why they don't call it the dmv here. It's a pretty miserable experience. Don't know how it will compare with what you've had to deal with in the past though. You can make an appointment ahead of time which can alleviate some of the misery. Otherwise, get there early because there will be a line.

Edit: Ah you made an appointment. You should hopefully be ok

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Can us Ann Arbor folk join in? Not like we can sustain our own thread.

I like this thread a lot - I've lived in Michigan for 10+ years :)

If you ever feel like making a long drive, go to Ajishin in Novi - some of the best udon I've ever had in my life (includes Japan)

<3 Ajishin

Haven't been to Pastry House Hippo after the management/name change though.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of pizza, let's get OP some recommendations on the best Detroit-style pizza places. Obviously Buddy's is the original, but there's others, too.

Little Caesars! We need to support the humble down to earth local Illitch family.

On a more serious note, I like Loui's. And don't mind Jet's too once in a while.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
This thread made me decide on Buddy's for lunch today. I am already hungry, just thinking about it.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of pizza, let's get OP some recommendations on the best Detroit-style pizza places. Obviously Buddy's is the original, but there's others, too.

Shield's and Jets are my tops for Detroit-style pizza.

For regular pizza, Marco's is my go-to in metro Detroit. I feel like most major pizza chains originated in Detroit (Little Caesars, Dominos). But pick Marcos. The family is from the Detroit area, even if the company originated in Ohio. Get garlic butter and Parmesan on the crust.

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
So level with me folks, what is a Detroit Style Pizza? I better learn quick by the looks of it. Also is there such a thing as a Vegan Detroit Style Pizza?

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
As far as buddy's goes, OP needs to definitely hit up the original location in Detroit. It's in the hood though, so yeah lol 🤷‍♂️. It's my favorite location of their's of the ones I've tried.

Last edited:

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Shield's and Jets are my tops for Detroit-style pizza.

For regular pizza, Marco's is my go-to in metro Detroit. I feel like most major pizza chains originated in Detroit (Little Caesars, Dominos). But pick Marcos. The family is from the Detroit area, even if the company originated in Ohio. Get garlic butter and Parmesan on the crust.

Marco's old style pepperoni is my go to pizza too!

So level with me folks, what is a Detroit Style Pizza? I better learn quick by the looks of it. Also is there such a thing as a Vegan Detroit Style Pizza?

yJxE1z1.jpg

Buddy's does have a vegan option on their menu.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I'm in Ferndale but I'm right on the border of Royal Oak so I get the best of both cities.

Royal Oak is getting a little crowded but there are some cool places to go.

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
what up doe.

This is a great area to be in. Royal Oak, Ferndale and Berkley (which is on a serious upswing) are all decent areas to be in and offer varying types of restaurants/nightlife. Best of all, Detroit is a short 10-15 drive away (Campus Martius area is beautiful) and Windsor, Canada is easy to get to as well . Check out the beaches on the lakes nearby (also Belle Isle in Detroit) and "up north" if you want a long weekend.

Detroit style pizza is the best. If you just moved to Royal Oak, I STRONGLY recommend Palazzo Di Pizza (https://palazzodipizza.com/menu/) a carryout only place that just opened. But you can't really go wrong with any type of Detroit style pizza and Jets works in a pinch.

Exagenous

Jan 3, 2018
Auburn Hills checking in. New to the metro area but I've been in Michigan for most of my life.

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
Okay, OP. Now that you're one of us I can comfortably share some of the secret best food in town. There are a lot of great options in the Metro area (and many more springing up all the time) but why fuck around if you don't have to? And know that I do this out of love, because in no way do I want to make any of these establishments any busier than they already are.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Im currently at the not DMV in Hazel Park. This doesn't seem like the best part of town.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Know I'm not local, but 2 years ago I lived in Detroit for about 5 months for work - stayed all over.

Even if only a short amount of time, I got to really know and love Detroit and the surrounding areas - people there love their hometown and everyone wants to see it do well.

I never want to hear anyone speak ill of the place, because it's got a special place in my heart. I love the place.

Digital Snake

Oct 25, 2017
From Washington here, lived here all my life. You have to check out Imperial in Ferndale, amazing tacos (esp their vegetarian and vegan versions) and fancy hot dogs!

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
From Washington here, lived here all my life. You have to check out Imperial in Ferndale, amazing tacos (esp their vegetarian and vegan versions) and fancy hot dogs!

My gf and I had out first date at Imperial.

It was a great choice. Their corn is amazing.

Also I'm from Clarkston, work in Troy, but I grew up in South Redford.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, OP. Now that you're one of us I can comfortably share some of the secret best food in town. There are a lot of great options in the Metro area (and many more springing up all the time) but why fuck around if you don't have to? And know that I do this out of love, because in no way do I want to make any of these establishments any busier than they already are.

[Hidden content]

I missed Kuzzos this summer. Can't wait for it to re-open.

Birdito

Oct 30, 2017
I'm from Windsor (though currently live close to Toronto), and Detroit is awesome. My girlfriend is a big fan of the city, so we make semi-regular trips over.

Last summer was my first trip across in 5 years, and downtown was transformed in that time. Night and day.

Jabronium

Oct 26, 2017
Farmington Hills, been out here for almost 10 years now. Love it out here, and got fiber in my neighborhood last year so there's that.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit is the shit, baby.

Got ppl in Woodhaven, and I've spent a lot of time in Detroit and surrounding areas.

It's a great place!

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Warren over here, I work right next to the city square and across the street from GM.

Have fun in Royal Oak it's the place to be in terms of a downtown area, there is also Downtown Birmingham which is unlike any other part of Michigan. Your right of passage is definitely going to Hopcat (get their Crack Fries with cheese). If you want any good food suggestions just ask, I can name all the best restaurants in the area.

Last edited: