• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.vg247.com/2018/12/10/metro-2033-film-cancelled/

The movie was supposed to follow the events of the book, but MGM reportedly tried to Americanize it by setting it in Washington D.C. That idea apparently didn't work, and the film's rights have reverted to Glukhovsky, the author told VG24/7 in a recent interview.

"A lot of things didn't work out in Washington D.C.," he said. "In Washington D.C., Nazis don't work, Communists don't work at all, and the Dark Ones don't work. Washington D.C. is a black city, basically. That's not at all the allusion I want to have, it's a metaphor of general xenophobia but it's not a comment on African-Americans at all. So it didn't work."

"They had to replace the Dark Ones with some kind of random beasts, and as long as the beasts don't look human the entire story of xenophobia doesn't work, which was very important to me as a convinced internationalist. They turned it into a very generic thing."

Glukovsky goes on to say that MGM was afraid to set the movie in Moscow because Americans like stories about America. But, he sees "Metro 2033's" Russian setting as a unique selling point. "We've seen the American version of apocalypse a lot of times and the audience that like the genre are educated and saturated and not really wishing to get anymore of that,"

Looks like we successfully dodged that bullet. What the hell MGM...

Last edited:

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
giphy.gif

Deleted member 29354

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Good on the author for keeping that creative vision tight. Hopefully he finds a studio that gels with his image and we get a kick-ass movie. In the mean time, what sort of brain-dead focus groups is MGM taking from? The cut-and-paste into an American city can't be what audiences are clamoring for; that "Americans like stories about America" line has got to be some sort of production scapegoat to save on expenses not filming abroad? Who knows, but I'm jonesing for all sorts of different stories across this great wide world of ours.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like "Americans like stories that are set in America" isn't actually true at all, it's just a Hollywood habit. Like casting all white people for example.

Deleted member 43872

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 24, 2018
I hadn't heard that they planned to set it in America, that's ridiculous. Why would they throw away the strengths of the original story's setting? That would be absurd, like making a Monster Hunter adaptation starring modern-day soldiers with rifles!

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Are DC's subways built like underground fortresses? If no, MGM, go home you're drunk

Jan 15, 2018
What's the point of buying the right to the film version of a story if they just wanted to take away everything that made it unique?

Maybe some day we'll get a good adaptation of the book, but at this moment in time, I don't really see it happening as it would probably be too art house to get the budget it deserves.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Guys, its not good that the film was cancelled. It is actually a shame that mgm didn't comply with the author demands.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like "Americans like stories that are set in America" isn't actually true at all, it's just a Hollywood habit. Like casting all white people for example.
Yeah I have to agree. This is a weird habit and should be broken. And with this series the setting is part of the DNA.

We can wait for a proper adaptation.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
What a shame. The setting is part of what makes Metro Special! Oh well, at least we didnt get any a new DB Evolution.