• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HiroTSK5

One Winged Slayer
Nov 4, 2017
Just soft-crashed at the end of the first level, just the kind of Jank I was hoping for

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Sad, doesn't look like there is a physical Xbox One release. :(

First they never release the original outside of Japan AND NOW THIS! Us Japanese game and Xbox fans just can't catch a break. >:|

Maybe it'll come to Switch at some point, hopefully. They really should have released it there instead of continuing on with the GBA version. They wouldn't have had to deal with the smaller GBA cart size limitations when putting all the explosions in.

OriginalJonty

Editor at TheSixthAxis
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
7/10 from TheSixthAxis. Very much a product of its time.

"Metal Wolf Chaos XD is definitely a child of its time. It's an over the top action fest that has a few issues with it, but can provide a decent amount of entertainment. Perhaps the most interesting thing about the game is seeing FromSoftware's early work and recognising the systems the company would settle on to make the big leap to the more famous follow-ups in the Soulsborne style of games. "

sarcoa

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville KY USA
I liked it. Decent enough mech shooter and tremendous insight of the gross American ultrapatriotism and culture around the time of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. It's like the W. Bush Mission Accomplished fiasco was satirized into an entire game.

DigitalChumps: 8/10

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I played the demo at PAX last year and noticed a 30fps framerate. Can anyone confirm if it can go to 60?

Looks like it's locked at 30.

Metal Wolf Chaos was a pretty good-looking game by Xbox standards, and it holds up well enough here, though I'm not impressed that the PC version I tested is locked to 30 frames per second.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably a title where the game logic is tied to the framerate and pushing it above 30fps will break things. Back when the game was originally made I doubt they considered people wanting to play it at 60fps+ on PC 15 years later.

That's what I'm guessing too. It's unfortunate, but at least this game won't die an obscure Xbox exclusive.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Unlocked last night and I played the first mission a couple times. I like it! I need to check and see if there's a manual anywhere, though, as there aren't any in-game tutorials and some of the systems seem a bit opaque (the collectibles and upgrading).

The sound mix seems a bit off, too. The gameplay seems super quiet, especially the voices, while the cinematics are really loud. What is it with games lately and the audio mix just being terrible and all over the place?

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Richaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard! Can't wait to play it. Waiting for some PC impressions though. I just want to know if the port is at least decent. If it's on the Bullet Witch level, I would be totally fine with it.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Played two levels and it's certainly clunky and goofy and fun.

I really want something like a minigun, and I'm not sure what tree to invest in. so far assault rifles and a missile launcher seems like the way to roll.

It's charming and dumb and I think the graphics add to that.

OriginalJonty

Editor at TheSixthAxis
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Played two levels and it's certainly clunky and goofy and fun.

I really want something like a minigun, and I'm not sure what tree to invest in. so far assault rifles and a missile launcher seems like the way to roll.

It's charming and dumb and I think the graphics add to that.

Invest in the machine guns. The later ones cut through everything and target missiles. Flamethrowers deal high damage too.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I played the Windows version ahead of today's launch for an Ars Technica article:

And, yeah, it's a blast, so long as you know what you're in for. In terms of PC performance: stable 60fps, locked to vsync, with some sound-level issues in a few cut scenes but no particularly galling glitches. It's as janky as the 2004 original, but not in a Goat Simulator glitching-hilariously way, nor in a painful, "die because of glitches" way. The PC version includes full rebinding options for m+kb but little in the way of graphics options. I'm unsure about how it handles any screen ratio other than 16:9.

I can't speak to the console versions.

EDIT: Since being called out for my post, I went back and tested with frame rate counters turned on; go to the next page in comments for more info. it's locked to 30fps, not 60.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
casual reminder to stomp on all targets (A+Y/ X+Triangle), it's way more effective than wasting a ridiculous amount of ammo on buildings, and towers. Especially in early game.

Also: ammo is based off of the individual weapon, not the weapon type, so feel free to equip the same weapon type twice if you're a fan of it.

twisteh

Oct 26, 2017
Just bought this as a fan of From Software's work.

Never played a mech game before, game looks batshit crazy. Both excited and scared!

twisteh

Oct 26, 2017
Enjoying it tbh, but I suck.

Keep dying to the boss at the end of the second mission, and the lack of checkpoints are frustrating. Any tips in case I'm missing something?

I've been saving my rockets for him but still die :(

sarcoa

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville KY USA
Enjoying it tbh, but I suck.

Keep dying to the boss at the end of the second mission, and the lack of checkpoints are frustrating. Any tips in case I'm missing something?

I've been saving my rockets for him but still die :(
The boss tank opens between two buildings. I would push it back a little with some rockets, then dash over and use the building for cover when it delivered its death ray laser thing. As soon as it ended I would pop out and unload some bazooka shots then get back in cover once I saw it charging up. After this mission you can replay it and grind out funds for some more effective gear.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Played for an hour and this is just dumb fun, ridiculous story mixed with arcadey mech game play makes for a good time.

twisteh

Oct 26, 2017
The boss tank opens between two buildings. I would push it back a little with some rockets, then dash over and use the building for cover when it delivered its death ray laser thing. As soon as it ended I would pop out and unload some bazooka shots then get back in cover once I saw it charging up. After this mission you can replay it and grind out funds for some more effective gear.
Alright, will try that, thank you.

I just wish I didn't have to do the entire mission each time to fight the boss, my only annoyance with the game!

closer1000

Dec 9, 2017
Has anyone else noticed the "rom" folder in the directory on the PC version? It contains all the files, including the .xbe files, from the original xbox release. That mixed with some Phyre engine specific stuff in the other folders make me believe this is some sort of xbox emulator wrapped in the Phyre engine. Anyone smarter than me able to see how this might be working?

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I played the Windows version ahead of today's launch for an Ars Technica article:

And, yeah, it's a blast, so long as you know what you're in for. In terms of PC performance: stable 60fps, locked to vsync, with some sound-level issues in a few cut scenes but no particularly galling glitches. It's as janky as the 2004 original, but not in a Goat Simulator glitching-hilariously way, nor in a painful, "die because of glitches" way. The PC version includes full rebinding options for m+kb but little in the way of graphics options. I'm unsure about how it handles any screen ratio other than 16:9.

I can't speak to the console versions.

I can't seem to get the game to run at 60fps on PC.

Whatever I do, it still runs at 30.