• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's literally Metal Gear Solid's trademark style but ok, lol...
In fairness, Survive is definitely leaning really hard on the new style of codec calls and relatively simple cutscenes. It's clear they've been working with a low(er) budget. But if anything that's just caused them to revert to the style they used in the earlier MG titles, which has benefits of its own.

I think it'll be interesting to see the game's story pans out after the first few hours. Hopefully they don't rely entirely on short "character introduction shot > codec conversation" for all the major story beats. I also hope there are major story beats and it's not just filler for 18 of the 20 hours. Only time will tell.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
The food and water bars tick down continuously? Oh fuck, this is going to be a nightmare.

Early on, it can be a pain, yea.

You rely on finding animals and using their meat to help with hunger as well as dirty water. Both have a chance to give you a sickness. The meat you can eventually cook to give you more health and avoid sickness.

Clean water, on the other hand, you won't see too often. Not until you unlock the upgrade that let's you boil dirty water so it can be clean.

I'm about 8 hours into the game and I just got the upgrade for that. So now I can take bottles and canteens full of dirty water and convert them to clean. I've also been able to have a steady supply of food, too. There will be side missions where you can kill animals. I would suggest doing those just to keep yourself safe.

Hunger does tick down faster than Thirst.

Oxygen is another thing that will come into play. That can get refilled with Kuban Energy but every time you refill it, the cost increases. Going back to side missions, you'll see some pop up where they'll be a bunch of Kuban to collect. Look out for those as well.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That's literally Metal Gear Solid's trademark style but ok, lol...
In fairness, Survive is definitely leaning really hard on the new style of codec calls and relatively simple cutscenes. It's clear they've been working with a low budget. But if anything that's just caused them to revert to the style they used in the earlier MG titles. I think it'll be interesting to see the game's story pans out after the first few hours. Hopefully they don't rely entirely on short "character introduction shot > codec conversation" for all the major story beats.
This seems to be the case so far, that's my point. Sure, we can call the security camera scene cute as an homage but is the entire first hour and a half supposed to be an homage?
Honestly, this sounds a bit more tedious than I had hoped for. It might be less egregious in practice but this might be a bit too much for me personally. I might wind up giving up after a few hours.

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
In fairness, Survive is definitely leaning really hard on the new style of codec calls and relatively simple cutscenes. It's clear they've been working with a low(er) budget. But if anything that's just caused them to revert to the style they used in the earlier MG titles, which has benefits of its own.

I think it'll be interesting to see the game's story pans out after the first few hours. Hopefully they don't rely entirely on short "character introduction shot > codec conversation" for all the major story beats. I also hope there are major story beats and it's not just filler for 18 of the 20 hours. Only time will tell.

It doesn't change that the scene of a CRT surveillance camera with periodic screen refresh is pretty damn good framing in my opinion

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't change that the scene of a CRT surveillance camera with periodic screen refresh is pretty damn good framing in my opinion
The multiple camera angles and foley effects are pretty well done. Hopefully the game has scenes like this sprinkled throughout and this stuff isn't entirely front/end-loaded.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Japan got some insane Gray Fox helmet. Whole lot better than these ridiculous REX and RAY heads.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
So this PS4 situation is really stupid.

Downloaded and installed update - can't start game because it says I need an update.

Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear Survive This Day 1 Patch

I really didn't have fun at all playing solo during the beta, I'd like to see how the single player in the actual game may differ. Waiting on some youtube stuff to start popping up.

Ab4dd0n

Oct 25, 2017
Two updates to work?

giphy.gif

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Worldwide launches are so common these days that having to wait for the EU release feels so backwards. Looking forward to this releasing, beta was fun with friends.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm kind of glad for the two day delay for Europe. I have the willpower of a fish so at least this way I can make a decision based on impressions / reviews.

Samsquanchewans

User Permed at their request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
#NOTJAPAN
The fuck is this game 59.99 CAD? lol 39.99USD is 50 dafuq is the other 9.99 coming from?

fuck off cucknami

This is a game best gotten via BundleStars or HumbleBundle $5.50 tier.