• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
How does it's player controls compare to recent open-world games?
I'm playing it now, and the controls don't feel as good in certain important situations such as crawling and leaning out behind cover to fire.

With crawling, sometimes going over a small rise from a bump or rock will make Snake pop up into his crouch. And other times, he'll get hung up or stuck facing one way when trying to change directions. Also, trying to aim at objects the same elevation as you while flat up on a roof or cliff sometimes causes problems, making you crawl partially over the edge just so you can get Snake to extend his arms for the shot. That last situation would make sense for lower targets, but again, not for targets at the same elevation as you.

For leaning out behind cover, other games just feel better imo. Maybe it feels less "sticky" to me. Snake doesn't lean out, pop off a few shots, and snap back into place as other games with different cover systems do. It may be me, but I had issues leaning out easily, lining up my target, would find myself simply standing there firing from behind the object, but no longer hugging the object in "tight cover". It could be a preference thing or a failing on my part though.

Everything else feels good control-wise.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Biggest disappointment this gen.

As someone who plays games mainly for story content, this had really nothing to offer. The intro section was sublime however, too bad it fell really flat after that.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
It's an amazing game that is entirely held back by the circumstances of its creation - Konami wanting to bail on AAA gaming and wanting F2P money so badly they incorporated it into every level of game progression.

I'd still be playing MGS5 today if the grind and wait times for new stuff weren't so bullshit. Not to mention the high tax rate for actually using all the fun equipment you accumulate.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Easily some of the best gameplay mechanics in an open world game. The issues with the world design and story are legit but they matter less when you're in a mission and just having fun with all the options presented to you. Also enjoyed the way the AI adapted to the way you played. Getting too many headshots, they start wearing helmets. Using the tranq all the time? They put on armor.

Shame things with South with Konami and Kojima. Would have loved to see a 2.0 take on the design (plus PT actually releasing).

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely brilliant game and my favourite of his when it comes to mechanics. Flawed but ambitious as hell and felt like one of those rare "next gen" moments. It's a shame what happened with it.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Couldn't care less about MGS's convoluted as ass storyline. The gameplay is smooth as butter, has unparalleled variety and the attention to detail in all of the mechanics is absurd. It really is one of the best games of this generation and deserves to be in that conversation, but rarely is.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I find the gameplay to be overrated. The core mechanics are great, but traversing around the open world gets really boring.
I agree with you, but I think that's more of a world design and content distribution problem. If you're driving all across the world just to take out some dudes, it can feel terrible.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I don't know if this is a joke or not but this is something else. I don't believe one bit it's something intentional and even admitting that all was planned are you saying that he wanted to make us suffer the same hollow feeling he was experiencing at Konami while finishing the game?

That would be highly arrogant of him and really selfish.

I always fear what Death Stranding will be without the Konami costraints and with Sony giving him so much control over what he is doing. It could be a great move but the videos they showed until now feel like Kojima is going way too far with his pretentious behaviour.

I think it's absolutely possible and if you think that's selfish than idk. Art doesn't always have to be entertaining to be enjoyed. Luckily, even if that is the case MGSV has plenty to love since it plays like nothing else. It just has an unfulfilling narrative.

I don't think that would be selfish or arrogant. It's an auteur condensing his emotions into a game.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay was always top notch if you had a tiny bit of inspiration or creativity.

Aye, the only other games that was as fun to play in this regard was Dead Rising and BOTW IMO.

The problem is that because it didn't force you to be creative some people just mindlessly did the same thing over and over and called it boring.

But personally think that's a player problem, not the games problem.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The actual mechanics are great, but the open world design is where it all falls short IMO. I liked most of the missions, but the ways you can interact with the open world felt fairly limited.

Jan 20, 2019
I think for me, I ended up enjoying MGSV on my second playthrough a lot more. I basically just treated it as a game that wasn't Metal Gear, and instead just a fun sandbox to play around in.

I'm a person who really prioritizes a good story, and as you can imagine I was let down in that department, especially on my first time playing. But despite this, the Fox Engine is just so damn well made and I had an absolute blast exploring and raiding the landscapes, only playing the story missions to open up more opportunities for new gadgets and goodies. Yeah, it eventually gets a bit stale, especially late game when the time/resources required are just so massive and you've already explored pretty much everywhere.

I don't think I can say that the amazing gameplay excuses the faults (namely the lacking narrative), but it still allows MGSV to stand as an excellent open-world to have fun in. Could it have been better, like GOAT status? Yes, but we are past that point now. No use crying about it when we could be sneaking around with D-Dog instead!

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
Sometimes when I want to feel sad I watch some trailers and imagine what the game could have been. Still one of the best playing TPS ever.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
I feel like I need to give it another try. I was towards the end, but stopped playing for some reason.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
It's my biggest gaming disappointment ever along with Fallout 4. It didn't match up to my expectations at all. Yes the gameplay control mechanics were good, but that was never the actual draw for me in the series. For me MGS were about much more than that it didn't give it to me at all. I also didn't fall in love with it's big empty desert maps.

Solid Shake

Oct 28, 2017
The game had SOLID gameplay, no pun intended. Character movement, gunplay, and gadget play is unparalleled to this day. The only bad thing about this game was the story and I wish there had been a few more bigger outposts.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's so utterly amazing, it's baffling to me how Konami haven't flipped the game and made a co-op shooter in the vein of Ghost Recon Wildlands and repurposed all the assets. It prints money!

To be fair to them they tried something new with Survive, but... no... no.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Gameplay wise it's probably one of the best ever and still years later nothing has come close to the feel, precision and variety it offers. But yeah nearly everything else was a pretty huge let down and a major tragedy that the rest of the game could not live up to its fantastic gameplay and great visuals. Was really pumped for MGSV after how amazing Ground Zeroes was and seeing the conclusion of the whole saga and getting a really gut wrenching no holds barred roller coaster of PTSD, horrors of war and everything and what we got was this heavily neutered, barely there and kind of stand off-ish experience.

MGSV is one of those games I would kill for modders to have full access to so they could create fully custom campaigns and environments and shit. Full on remakes of other games in the engine. Whole new original campaigns and stories. It's so fantastic at its core that it's a huge shame we only have this one mediocre game to experience it with.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ranking? Ranking is a deeply lame way to try and encourage experimentation if that's the only thing to go off of, and a total copout - and I'd still wager to bet that there is 1 optimal way to play alongside a dozen or so pointless ones. The playstyles are too scattered, the scenarios too samey, and too many of the paths are pointless and dumb.
So what do you mean by efficiency and optimal then? Do you purely mean from a time perspective? There is no optimal for this game, especially if you aren't talking about rank. This games gives you tools to be literally invisible to the enemy, why not just use that for every mission? If your goal is to beat every level in the most "optimal" way and you are getting bored in the way you are playing then the game is not made for players like you in mind. But it's ok, the vast majority of games are for people like you. This game's mantra is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ how do you want to beat it?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So what do you mean by efficiency and optimal then? Do you purely mean from a time perspective? There is no optimal for this game, especially if you aren't talking about rank. This games gives you tools to be literally invisible to the enemy, why not just use that for every mission? If your goal is to beat every level in the most "optimal" way and you are getting bored in the way you are playing then the game is not made for players like you in mind. But it's ok, the vast majority of games are for people like you. This game's mantra is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ how do you want to beat it?
It is quite possible to be aware that bolded is a fact and still believe that there are aspects of MGSV's design that are not in line with that mantra. Perfectly fair to call out an aspect of the game's design that can pull the emphasis away from experimentation and discovery, that which we all consider to be MGSV's saving grace.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The game starts off great (by that I mean after the stupid 1 hour intro) but the lack of level, mission style variety really hinders the game. The game play itself is good for the most part in term, gunplay could use some work but the other aspects are well done. I hated all the motherbase and recruitment nonsense as well.

I was hoping to get to play in a wider variety of environments and mission scenarios.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It is quite possible to be aware that bolded is a fact and still believe that there are aspects of MGSV's design that are not in line with that mantra. Perfectly fair to call out an aspect of the game's design that can pull the emphasis away from experimentation and discovery, that which we all consider to be MGSV's saving grace.
Its only about exploration and discovery if you want it to be, like the poster I quoted it can be about doing the same thing over and over again or just using overpowered weapons they give you at a certain point if you just want to get through the game. This game shines for creative people but still can be won by more straight forward "optimal play" people.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
it's incredible and that's why i hope death stranding will be sort of an evolution of those mechanics with a new and better story/characters and more dev time so that kojima can actually finish that game. if that happen DG could be the GOTG.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
This game is kind of what you make of it. It unfortunately doesn't push you to come up with creative solutions to things, but if you go wild anyway it's incredible how much you can do.

Oct 30, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrFbDs2StZ0

I think this is the same guy who made the old MGS3 videos (in the Santa suit).
RR0PSvi.gif

I loved MGSV. It was the first Metal Gear that I started and finished. I had tried MGS IV and MGS 3 but struggled to get into it. My biggest issue had been the unintuitive controls but MGSV played and controlled so damn well.

I'm currently playing MGS2 for the first time and even though the cumbersome controls are back, I've found the game to be really engaging. I know it's not as "big" as MGSV but I am still finding a similar amount of fun.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It's so utterly amazing, it's baffling to me how Konami haven't flipped the game and made a co-op shooter in the vein of Ghost Recon Wildlands and repurposed all the assets. It prints money!

To be fair to them they tried something new with Survive, but... no... no.

Everyone was already on the BattleRoyale train and Konami was like " What if crafting survival zombie game" as if they missed a few memos.

A crafting zombie survival game has been done a lot and that alone isn't so bad, but that game is just nothing but hot air with the name Metal Gear on it.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Probably the best action game of all-time. Don't really care about the story or unfinished narrative when what is there is that good. Kojima finally completely nailed 'Tactical Espionage Action'.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
It's so good. I'd argue Venom Snake is the best controlling character in a third-person shooter. Don't @ me with Max in Max Payne 3.

Makes me wish there was a modkit released so we could make our own maps.

Cathcart

Oct 29, 2017
MGS fans didn't deserve a game this good. Every time someone says some nonsense like "the gameplay is great but it's not a good Metal Gear game" an angel loses its wings and falls into a hell of endless talking heads and overwrought 90 minute cutscenes. Snake had a hard life, indeed.

MGSV is easily the best game with the Metal Gear name attached to it that wasn't made by Platinum. Top 3 of the generation for sure, it's a game I can return to at any time and never get sick of.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Its probably the blandest most uninspired open world without any kind of life to it, without any character .
The traversal is also pain in the ass , the way you need to go from one objective to another feels like just wasting time .
The gameplay loop gets old after 10h theres no reason to use any of the tools because the encounter and mission design never asks for it , Tranq every fuckin one , since its the most efficient way to building your base .
And the base micromanagement feels so unnecessary , just busy work on top of busy work.
The VA , the lack of cutscenes and just half assed direction of a game left a sour taste in my mouth.
God damn these copy pasted side objectives and mediocre visuals.
Its one of the most regretful AAA experiences I had in long while.
Games like mad max or any ubisoft open world output seems like masterpieces compared to mgs V

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Very easy actually - you can "no trace" all but I think 3 missions. No trace is hard due to the parameters that surround it - but a straight up no kill play through is pretty easy.
IMO no trace is the best way to play the game but it can be infuriating to go 30+ mins with nothing then some fucker spotting you
MGS fans didn't deserve a game this good. Every time someone says some nonsense like "the gameplay is great but it's not a good Metal Gear game" an angel loses its wings and falls into a hell of endless talking heads and overwrought 90 minute cutscenes. Snake had a hard life, indeed.

MGSV is easily the best game with the Metal Gear name attached to it that wasn't made by Platinum. Top 3 of the generation for sure, it's a game I can return to at any time and never get sick of.
Yeah its sad to see people talk about how its a disappointment because of no story but the long ass cutscenes and ok gameplay in MGS3 is what made me not want to play these games but then I got gifted the GOAT.

Last edited:

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
The gameplay is so incredible it's extra sad the story is told in such a dull way. The structure where you partly have to replay stuff in the second half kind of killed it for me too, and I ended up watching the second ending on Youtube because of it.

And it feels unfinished structurally. But I loved experimenting with all those mechanics so much.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this game was weird for me. Ignoring all the "this is not an MGS game" and just talking about gameplay: I could see that the game could have a lot of variety but for some reason I found it hard to find the urge to delve into finding it for myself. I just stuck to the silent tranq pistol and played sneaky.

I think a much of the reason was because of the bland as fuck level design. It was just so uninspired and felt so samey after just a few missions. Some areas were good but enemy layout never changed so even those became dull after a while. Game just felt so devoid of bespoke design in anything and everything seemed to be about how much copy pasted stuff they could get away with.