• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

youtu.be

Metal Gear Solid Briefing

Briefing from Metal Gear Solid put in order based off time code.0:00 Brief Mission Description2:43 How Snake will get to Shadow Moses4:07 Snake questions ...

This was so far ahead of its time that even with all the advances in graphical technology today, developers still have difficulty crafting scenes as well directed, acted, and shot as this. It blew my mind as a kid, it still blows my mind today. So simple, so elegant; really just clever use of still 2-D art. Yet, the way everything is put together completely immerses you in the game and tells you everything you need to understand the story.

- The superb voice acting by everyone, Hayter sounds his best here.
- The excellent audio mixing that adds in ambient sounds of the interior of a submarine and footsteps from off-screen.
- The VHS effect which obscures the fact you just watching still art and instead makes you feel as though you're just watching a playback.
- The ability to control the surveillance camera capturing the scene which further tricks you into believing this is beyond some 2-D images.
- The actual thought that is put into the exposition.

The last point is especially poignant as the game not only catches first-time players (of which most of us were) into the background of the series and its characters, but also adds sufficient detail to really make you feel like this is some actual Tom Clancy type of thriller. All the characters react like real people and ask questions any one of us would have in that situation? Why can't I airdrop? How do these terrorists have access to nukes? What happened to my dogs?! At the time, most games couldn't be arsed to care about these types of questions a player might have, just go stop the terrorists. But, MGS1 takes the time to explain to you how and why this is all happening which also makes the twists more interesting a believable.

But again, it goes beyond just the writing. If you've ever watched the Twin Snakes version, you notice how all these little details are missing that leads to a lesser scene as a whole. The writing is mostly the same, but everything else is off. The sheer fact that Snake is wearing underwear in the TS version alone drastically impacts the atmosphere.

Anyone else still revisit these briefing files just to get immersed in the world all over again? Hell, if you've never played MGS1, the cutscene itself should give you all the reason you need.

Now, how many skipped the briefing files when playing the game the first time? 😁

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I think I did watch them before I played the game when I was a kid but thats only because I had already seen my brother play an hour or 2 and he didn't watch them so I HAD to know what they were.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
strangely enough, I saw the Twin Snakes version first, so that's my memory of it, oops

I still do the dumb finger gun-pointing pose that he does in that version, sometimes. Because I'm well adjusted.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
yeah they are great. They really sold the serious military vibe that the game has. Especially in 1998, that shit was mad impressive for my 11-year-old self.

Mar 30, 2019
I really enjoyed the briefing files along with the vr training challenges. It added so much to my first run with MGS at the time and since then. They are entertaining on their own and I always rewatch on a replay. So enjoyable.

One irritating detail I've had was wondering if Snake was blonde like Liquid or dirty-blond/brown. He had to dye his hair for the Shadow Moses mission because of Liquid's presence, but following games seem to soft-retconning by ignoring it.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the briefing files along with the vr training challenges. It added so much to my first run with MGS at the time and since then. They are entertaining on their own and I always rewatch on a replay. So enjoyable.

One irritating detail I've had was wondering if Snake was blonde like Liquid or dirty-blond/brown. He had to dye his hair for the Shadow Moses mission because of Liquid's presence, but following games seem to soft-retconning by ignoring it.

Same, it's actually not clear from the Briefing alone if he dyes his hair brown because the color grading of the tape has very limited colors, intentionally so. Snake asks for a pair of scissors to cut his hair, but its unclear if he needed to dye it to. Of course, subsequent games just straight act as though Snake has always had brown hair.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Jeremy Blaustein da God

unfortunately Kojima was not pleased.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I always took this to mean Snake is a natural blonde like Liquid and only dyed his hair black (I always thought his hair was black not brown, until later games) because of the need for stealth.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I haven't seen this stuff in ages but it really emphasizes how the game just apes Escape from New York wholesale.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
They were really good for THAT time, the voice acting and concept specially, but it was a time when we mistakenly thought that videogames needed to emulate movies instead of trying to find their own voice.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that confuses is why is Snake naked? It even implies he is butt naked but not sure.
solidsnake-metalgear.gif

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
One thing that confuses is why is Snake naked? It even implies he is butt naked but not sure.

He's a living weapon, they had to remove any potential weapons. 😁

But, of course, he's naked to add to the whole atmosphere and theme of being stripped totally bare before these individuals. He can't hide anything from them literally or figuratively.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
He's a living weapon, they had to remove any potential weapons. 😁

But, of course, he's naked to add to the whole atmosphere and theme of being stripped totally bare before these individuals. He can't hide anything from them literally or figuratively.
If they can't trust him during the interview how did they decide to trust him with the mission? Their treatment of him was dehumanizing.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
If they can't trust him during the interview how did they decide to trust him with the mission? Their treatment of him was dehumanizing.

Lol, they didn't trust him. He was a dispensable pawn. He wasn't chosen for any combat skills, merely to be used as a vector. The point is to foreshadow this dehumanization. There people aren't the good guys.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
The briefing files are great introduction to the game; the art, design, sound, acting, etc.

Did you know there's a hidden briefing file when you exit the menu after watching the first file?

The whole game is still a masterpiece for me.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
MGS1 is easily the best game ever made, as far as I'm concerned. Voice acting is still a marvel to this day.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, they didn't trust him. He was a dispensable pawn. He wasn't chosen for any combat skills, merely to be used as a vector. The point is to foreshadow this dehumanization. There people aren't the good guys.
I haven't played the game in many years, but are you saying they picked him due to who he is rather his skill set? Basically they were forced to use him?

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Rewatched these about a month ago. They hold up so well!

I instantly miss them when I play Twin Snakes.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played the game in many years, but are you saying they picked him due to who he is rather his skill set? Basically they were forced to use him?

Not so much forced as he's the perfect pawn. The whole point of the operation was to inject an agent with FOXDIE programed to kill all members of FOXHOUND and the President of ArmsTech, only the DARPA chief was to be spared. And since Snake has the same DNA as Liquid it would take care of him too. Then the government could swooop in and recover Metal Gear without leaving any witnesses to talk.

As Liquid said near the end, Snake completed his mission in the interrogation room when he met all members of FOXHOUND he had not encountered before. Had he died then, the mission could've theoretically been completed without him as all the squad members would've died.

But Liquid was a step ahead.

BadHumans

Jul 28, 2020
the coolest thing about the briefing tapes is that if you try to exit after the first one, you'll go into another briefing tape with the colonel asking you to stay.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
I love how Snake immediately starts hitting on half the cast. Everybody in this game is horny as fuck.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Not so much forced as he's the perfect pawn. The whole point of the operation was to inject an agent with FOXDIE programed to kill all members of FOXHOUND and the President of ArmsTech, only the DARPA chief was to be spared. And since Snake has the same DNA as Liquid it would take care of him too. Then the government could swooop in and recover Metal Gear without leaving any witnesses to talk.

As Liquid said near the end, Snake completed his mission in the interrogation room when he met all members of FOXHOUND he had not encountered before. Had he died then, the mission could've theoretically been completed without him as all the squad members would've died.

But Liquid was a step ahead.
Thanks for the explanation.
One more question: how come it had to be snake? is it because he shared his DNA with liquid? I mean they could have sent anyone with the FOXDIE virus

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the explanation.
One more question: how come it had to be snake? is it because he shared his DNA with liquid? I mean they could have sent anyone with the FOXDIE virus

It didn't have to be him, but he is disposable. He's a "dirty little secret from the 70's" as the Sec. of Def. called him, this country's "embarrassment." So sending him gets rid of that. OF COURSE, the real reason we learn at the end is because the President of the U.S. at this time is Solidus Snake, so he likely indirectly made sure Snake was chosen to get rid of his other two clones.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It didn't have to be him, but he is disposable. He's a "dirty little secret from the 70's" as the Sec. of Def. called him, this country's "embarrassment." So sending him gets rid of that. OF COURSE, the real reason we learn at the end is because the President of the U.S. at this time is Solidus Snake, so he likely indirectly made sure Snake was chosen to get rid of his other two clones.
Oh shit I never picked up on that bit even after playing through 1-3 many times, and watching in-depth Let Plays on the series.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
The whole mood of Shadow Moses, from the Blaustein dialogue to the Shinkawa designs to the chanting background music to the grungy PSX graphics... it's simply too good.

Jeremy Blaustein da God

unfortunately Kojima was not pleased.

One of the best localisations ever. MGS1's script sings like video games very rarely do.

Blablurn

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Remake announcement any day now?

....?

;_;

God, I love MGS1 so much. The portrayal of Snake was on point in this one.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
got me curious and listened to the french version again (only MGS1 got a french dub)

i loved it as a kid, it's definitely not a great dub, but nostalgia make it kinda charming

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The whole atmosphere and art direction of MGS1 is superb and played into the limitations of the PS1 perfectly. The game has that gritty, lo-fi cold war cyberpunk feel that just wasn't quite as present in the rest of the series. It's a big reason why it's still my favorite MGS and possibly my favorite game of all time.

Remake announcement any day now?

....?

;_;

God, I love MGS1 so much. The portrayal of Snake was on point in this one.
Remake would just take away a lot of the game's charm.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
The game that made a man out of you and put hair on your chest.
Raise your hand if your teen self initially thought "man, I'm way out of my league with this one."

Blablurn

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The whole atmosphere and art direction of MGS1 is superb and played into the limitations of the PS1 perfectly. The game has that gritty, lo-fi cold war cyberpunk feel that just wasn't quite as present in the rest of the series. It's a big reason why it's still my favorite MGS and possibly my favorite game of all time.

Remake would just take away a lot of the game's charm.
It will continue to exist. Like FF7.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
MGS1 voice acting was sooo good.

Like even Liquid who is still overly-dramatic and ridiculous still feels just right.

Woiwode

Banned
Sep 18, 2019
Is there any other franchise that comes even close to MGS when it comes its approach to story?

A 20 minute intro is one thing but you can have a interesting conversation about every single gun, item or camo in MGS3

There is literally hours of optional completely voice acted background information in every single game.

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017
The PS1 version of the briefing is really an example of how added detail can elevate a scene for reasons you outlines. Its great, and captures that dark and gritty atmosphere that MGS1 had in spades.

Jun 24, 2021
One of many reasons why the PS1 original is still better than the pathetic GC remake. They fucked up even this part.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, every time I replay this I'm still amazed at how good it is. I sometimes think I'm wearing rose tinted glasses but nope, just really ahead of it's time with fantastic performances.