• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Metal_Gear_cover.jpg

On July 13th, 1987, the original MSX Metal Gear game was released. While this isn't the game that launched the series into international fame, it's still nonetheless an important milestone to celebrate. There may never be another Metal Gear game again that isn't a pachinko machine, but this is still a series worth celebrating and remembering, 35 years later.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W6dShYD9LU

Share your favorite memories with either the original Metal Gear game or the series as a whole in this thread, as the classics they should be remembered as. After all, the sins never die...

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017

GOAT-series. Happy Birthday, Snake(s)!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mekanos

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I was a latecomer to Metal Gear, I only got in the series after Snake's inclusion in Brawl piqued my interest as someone who grew up on Nintendo consoles. First game was Twin Snakes on GCN, then later I played MGS3 on a whim and ended up loving it and beat it over a weekend. It was a couple of years later that I finally sat down and played the whole series in proper order start to finish, including MGS1 PS1, which was my favorite and still one of my top 5 favorite games ever. I beat the whole thing in one sitting. I can only imagine how mindblowing it was to play in 1998.

MGS was one of the last times I got totally sucked into a new game series and fell in love with its cast and characters. While I think it definitely wore out its welcome with the post-MGS4 titles, warts and all, Kojima's insane mix of sociopolitical and video game commentary is unlike any other and I miss it a lot.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Happy Birthday Metal Gear.

Shame that Konami fucked Kojima over otherwise he would've brought forth an epic celebration of the series.

And to top it off, he's is currently dealing with bad press due to a racist right-wing politician that's blaming him for the assassination of a politician.

Anyways, here's to 35 years of confusing stories, epic gameplay, and the constant pushing of boundaries with nearly every release.

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
I should get around playing the original Metal Gears, I loved the Solid series. Every main entry in the Solid series is a favourite of mine (except 4 wich I haven't played) for different reasons. Great games all around.

Oct 27, 2017
I played through the original Metal Gear for the first time a couple of years ago. It was the version included in the HD collection in PS3.

I was impressed with how many of the ideas I liked from later games were there from the start.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played through every Solid home console game right at its launch except for MGS3. Snake Eater's godawful frame rate on the original PS2 release, in addition to the clunky controls where the look control couldn't be inverted IIRC turned me off completely. It wasn't until the MGS Collection release in the leadup to MGS4 that I played Snake Eater because it was the Subsistence version that fixed the camera problem.

I started up the translated MSX versions of both original Metal Gears at different times, but could never bring myself to get too far in either.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I guess I'll be the one to post the GIF:
metal-gear-solid4-mgs56ka2.gif

My Metal Gear experience starts with watching my cousin play Snake Eater on his PS2 during Thanksgiving weekend of 2005. I remember him demonstrating the ability to attack and heal Eva.

Oct 25, 2017
I played through the original Metal Gear for the first time a couple of years ago. It was the version included in the HD collection in PS3.

I was impressed with how many of the ideas I liked from later games were there from the start.
Metal Gear 2 is my favorite game in the franchise.(and I didn't even play it till after MGS3)
its literally an MGS1 prototype like 8 years before it.
Its honestly my favorite game of all time,

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
I remember playing Metal Gear Solid 1 on PS1 as a kid. I was completely blown away. To go from SNES games to this was difficult to process lol

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
MGS blew my mind when I was a kid and remains an essential piece of my childhood. Later, when I discovered how influenced Kojima was by other films and pop cultural tentpoles, it lost a bit of its magic for me, but the whole series is due for a revisit.

Something also tells me we haven't seen the last of Metal Gear.

Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020
Metal_Gear_cover.jpg

On July 13th, 1987, the original MSX Metal Gear game was released. While this isn't the game that launched the series into international fame, it's still nonetheless an important milestone to celebrate. There may never be another Metal Gear game again that isn't a pachinko machine, but this is still a series worth celebrating and remembering, 35 years later.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W6dShYD9LU

Share your favorite memories with either the original Metal Gear game or the series as a whole in this thread, as the classics they should be remembered as. After all, the sins never die...

Fun fact: I turned 8 two days earlier and asked the game for my birthday because I thought it was a racing game because of the title, lol.

Best mistake of my life.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was like ten and my first MG was the botched NES port. Still loved it though. Hated that instead of Metal Gear 2 we got that snakes revenge trash but I won't knock it too much because if legend is correct it's what inspired Hideo to make MG2 and anyone who has played that knows how much of MGS was already in there and was pretty much a blueprint for what would come.

TGB86

Jan 27, 2021
It's on the Mount Rushmore of gaming franchises. One of the all-timers. It's a shame we'll likely never get another one (with Kojima's involvement, anyway).

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I will never get anything remotely similar from a videogame like what MG has done to me.
I will say that I felt like I was going to be done playing video games when I beaten MGS4 when it was coming out.

I can only imagine how mindblowing it was to play in 1998.
It wasn't for me but this was:

View: https://youtu.be/HuuiASvcVjo

It's on the Mount Rushmore of gaming franchises.
Snakemore.jpg

Jun 7, 2018
When I was a kid, my dad took me to a computer games trade show in London, where they had a stall giving away few-months-out-of-date American games magazines. At the time, we had a fairly typical '80s UK combo of ZX Spectrum and Sega Master System and I had only played NES on the demo units in shops. This was pre-Megadrive/Genesis too, so the US mags obviously had a heavy NES slant and barely any Master System coverage, so I found it fascinating to glimpse this "other dimension", read reviews of games I'd never even heard of, and learn how big a thing Nimtendo was in the States.

One of the magazines I picked up, which was focused on strategies, cheats, walkthroughs and the like, had a guide for Metal Gear and I can remember reading it over and over, amazed at how in-depth and "realistic" it all sounded, how different it seemed from anything I had played. I'd take the magazine into school to show my friends this game that seemed like James Bond meets Rambo, pointing out snippets of dialogue and little details that I'd spotted in the screenshots.

Many years later, in 1997, I was clicking through a CD-ROM of trailers and previews that came with Edge magazine and came across the original MGS trailer. I was like "IT'S THAT GAME! BUT ALL MODERN AND 3D!!" and within about a month, on either my first or second payday from my first full-time job, I got myself a Playstation in anticipation of its release.

Last edited:

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
This series is everything to me. From MG to MGS I'll never have a series that tops this. Happy 35th :')

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I was like ten and my first MG was the botched NES port. Still loved it though. Hated that instead of Metal Gear 2 we got that snakes revenge trash but I won't knock it too much because if legend is correct it's what inspired Hideo to make MG2 and anyone who has played that knows how much of MGS was already in there and was pretty much a blueprint for what would come.
I only played the NES game but it was insanely advanced for a 80s console game.

The leap from that to the PS1 is one of the biggest leaps I have experienced in a franchise.

The leap to PS2 was almost as impressive.

Legendary franchise.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I only played the NES game but it was insanely advanced for a 80s console game.

The leap from that to the PS1 is one of the biggest leaps I have experienced in a franchise.

The leap to PS2 was almost as impressive.

Legendary franchise.
Yeah it was. That was why I was so into it, all the different weapons and gear and even cigarettes, and you actually had to use them (plus the radio) to progress. I last played on PS3 with the legacy collection through snake eater and while it may seem pretty dated now at the time it was really complex.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it was. That was why I was so into it, all the different weapons and gear and even cigarettes, and you actually had to use them (plus the radio) to progress. I last played on PS3 with the legacy collection through snake eater and while it may seem pretty dated now at the time it was really complex.
Like a lot of the earlier games it was not the most accessible but once you understood the systems and what the game wanted of you it really was pretty immersive.

A lot of PC games at the time were like that too. The hardest part was the beginning and understanding how the game worked.

I was weird kid though and could spend a lot of hours playing a game and continuing to think about it afterwards to figure that shit out. The 80s were kind of slow so you had to a lot of time to think...

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had no MSX2 access so I started with the first NES game which I liked but didn't love. I remember pre-ordering MGS on PS1 and getting a music CD with it. It's definitely a classic (although I liked Thief and Tenchu even more for 1998 stealth games). MGS2 and 4 didn't grip me as much as they did other people but MGS3 Subsistence and 5 impressed.

Reminder that Metal Gear 2 has the best OST in the whole franchise.
It's a contender for best game in the franchise, too.

Last edited:

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
I turned 27 today, had zero clue one of my favorite franchises shared the same birthday lol. Truly one of the greatest series I've ever experienced. Also happy birthdays to Harrison Ford, Cody Bellinger and my boy Yadier Molina.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, 35 years. I am eternally grateful for this series. It's what got me into gaming. And it is cemented as one of the greatest of all time. Thank you Metal Gear, thank you Kojima. The series continues to inspire game design to this day.

AcademicUnnaturalBarbet-size_restricted.gif

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing Metal Gear Solid 1 on PS1 as a kid. I was completely blown away. To go from SNES games to this was difficult to process lol

Same, i think when my neighbour kid showed it to me for the first time, my mind couldn´t even handle it and i didn´t understand what was going on :D it was just so new and different. It took me quite some time later when i got to play it myself at my own pace, and fell in love with everything about it :D