• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
You may have already heard of them due to them blowing the fuck up lately largely in part due to the semi-viral song Pisces.

First heard of them around the start of the year and haven't stopped listening. I absolutely fucking love them. In the djenty metalcore realm, but always with something extra, be it slightly proggy, poppy or straight up fucking reggae (and seamlessly pulled off). Incredibly musical with an awesome, and very inventive, bassist, and an INCREDIBLE frontwoman in Tatiana. Holy shit is this woman talented. Check 'em out. Their new album Macro is just out!

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I really like Jinjer. I wouldn't call them one of my favorite bands or anything but they have some killer stuff and Tatiana is undeniably a beast.

I saw them live last year too and they were great. They're coming back on March. I need to listen to the new album!

Mixen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think Tatiana is a great frontwoman. Her growls are good and her clean vocals are ok.

But... I think Jinjer as a band is way overrated. Their music is boring and generic and they are not very good song writers. Seems like they just got alot of hype because they have a woman who growls. Nothing else is very special. Saw them live and the show was really dissapointing too. I hope their new album is an improvenment because I think they have potential. I liked "Teacher teacher" but not the other song I've heard.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
I think Tatiana is a great frontwoman. Her growls are good and her clean vocals are ok.

But... I think Jinjer as a band is way overrated. Their music is boring and generic and they are not very good song writers. Seems like they just got alot of hype because they have a woman who growls. Nothing else is very special. Saw them live and the show was really dissapointing too. I hope their new album is an improvenment because I think they have potential. I liked "Teacher teacher" but not the other song I've heard.
So they are a bad version of Arch Enemy?

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they do anything remotely interesting instrumentally. It's a typical mix of Nu/Djent/Deathcore (pretty much all of the subgenres I dislike) riffs with some out-of-genre moments to try to sound different.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't had a new metalcore band in my playlist in a couple of years, will try them!

Mixen

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So they are a bad version of Arch Enemy?

Yea kind of. When I was a teenager (like 20 years ago),I thought Arch enemy was the coolest thing. I guess that's why I don't think Jinjer is anything special now. And Arch enemy was a pretty mediocre band then and has only gotten worse since.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Thread title is a blatant lie.

Also, I want those minutes of my life back.

I don't think they do anything remotely interesting instrumentally. It's a typical mix of Nu/Djent/Deathcore (pretty much all of the subgenres I dislike) riffs with some out-of-genre moments to try to sound different.
Yeah I don't even understand how that song would go "viral".

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Not the biggest fan of clean vocals in metal but this was pretty good! Scrolled down to read the comments and one of them was vocal range from demon to angel and boy that comment couldn't be truer. Thanks for the rec OP.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly outside of a few tracks (Pisces is really fucking great) they're not terribly memorable. Songwriting is overall pretty boring.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
my favourite track. really like jinjer but man, the reggae-tinged 'judgement (& punishment)' is bad.

looking forward to giving their new album a listen though.
Yeah I bounce off their weird reggae wtf stuff as well. I like them most when Tatiana finds ways to match her harsh vocals with interesting vocal melodies. She has a knack for putting a bit of jazz and blues into her delivery that I think is interesting for their style while they are just being a progressive metal band, but when they go full "fusion," it takes me out of it.

rm082e

Banned
Dec 16, 2017
They turned up on my YT recommendations about a year ago. I picked up their albums to support them. I really like what they're doing.

Thanks to this thread, I see they have a new album out. Time to give it a listen. :)

CaptainTrips

Nov 20, 2017
Sorry OP, but I'm going with this.

If this topic is about female fronted metal bands, Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult's new album has been one of my favourite releases this year.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bro, this shit is deep. Instrumental means talent even though it gets aggressive too. Metal has so many sub genres.

/s

Oct 28, 2017
Help me out, this is not what I think of when I hear "Metal". Forgive me cause I'm old and I grew up on Hip-Hop and Classic rock. That "yelling from the bottom of the throat" (I don't know what you call it, but you know what I mean right) I thought that was a different genre?

When I Think of Metal, I think of The Transformers:1986 Soundtrack

Oct 27, 2017
Murfreesboro, TN
Great musicians who are just okay songwriters. The bassist in particular is really, really good at what he does and as a bassist I'm always jealous watching his work in Pisces, same goes for the singer. I just wished I liked a lot more of their music outside of Pisces.

That being said, Pisces is a fucking banger of a song and one of my favorite metal songs in the past decade, so yeah.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Think I learned about Jinjer first because of the famous vocal fry register of their singer. Cool band.
If you have any interest in (metal) singing techniques then you absolutely heard the name Tetjana Schmajljuk at some point.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
If you want another female fronted metal core influenced band that should be heard by more people, there's Rolo Tomassi:

Listen to those two in order. They're technically two songs but to me it's one. The whole album has a ridiculously great flow and it's hard to pick a singular song to show because it's all one.

edited because I sounded like a dickhead before

Last edited:

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you want better female fronted metal, there's Rolo Tomassi:

Listen to those two in order. They're technically two songs but to me it's one. The whole album has a ridiculously great flow and it's hard to pick a singular song to show because it's all one.

This is some bullshit. Rolo Tomassi is my favorite metal band, period. TWDaLWBI is a masterpiece.

Why reduce this convo to a weird flex about "female-fronted" bands? Bands are bands. Jinjer can be good even though Rolo Tomassi exists, and calling one worse than the other just because they are both woman-fronted is really not cool.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
This is some bullshit. Rolo Tomassi is my favorite metal band, period. TWDaLWBI is a masterpiece.

Why reduce this convo to a weird flex about "female-fronted" bands? Bands are bands. Jinjer can be good even though Rolo Tomassi exists, and calling one worse than the other just because they are both woman-fronted is really not cool.

Jinjer can be good even though Rolo Tomassi exists. They're not, though.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Oh ok. There are things I don't like, too. I try not to define them by the genders of the artists involved because that's insulting to both (in this instance) Eva and Tatiana.
I stated my piece on Jinjer earlier. They have talent but the songwriting is boring. Pisces is fucking great, but other than that they don't offer a lot.

And sure they shouldn't be defined by gender but metal isn't exactly bustling with frontwomen, especially screaming/growling. So it catches the attention of people and that is part of why Jinjer went viral.

In any case I posted Rolo Tomassi not just because of the gender but that and they're both metal core influenced bands. Not gonna trot out Myrkur or something here because she wouldn't quite fit.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I stated my piece on Jinjer earlier. They have talent but the songwriting is boring. Pisces is fucking great, but other than that they don't offer a lot.

And sure they shouldn't be defined by gender but metal isn't exactly bustling with frontwomen, especially screaming/growling. So it catches the attention of people and that is part of why Jinjer went viral.

In any case I posted Rolo Tomassi not just because of the gender but that and they're both metal core influenced bands. Not gonna trot out Myrkur or something here because she wouldn't quite fit.
That's fair. I enjoy Myrkur as well, and agree that she doesn't fit. I do contend that you lead with "female fronted," and I was willing to jump on that because I think comparing bands to bands via style/genre is healthier and more fair to the women involved as opposed to talking about them as "female-fronted" bands.

And related to that: modern Rolo Tomassi is fathoms apart from Jinjer, stylistically.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
That's fair. I enjoy Myrkur as well, and agree that she doesn't fit. I do contend that you lead with "female fronted," and I was willing to jump on that because I think comparing bands to bands via style/genre is healthier and more fair to the women involved as opposed to talking about them as "female-fronted" bands.

Part of me agrees, but part of me acknowledges the reality of the genre and the metal world as a whole. There should be more female fronted metal bands in totality. The metal world too male dominated and largely white male dominated, too.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Part of me agrees, but part of me acknowledges the reality of the genre and the metal world as a whole. There should be more female fronted metal bands in totality. The metal world too male dominated and largely white male dominated, too.
We are heading toward the same place, then! This is just the kind of discourse folks have when the means potentially compromise the end.

I am 100% behind supporting more strong, unapologetic women in metal, which is a famously misogynistic genre. I guess we just hit a hiccup when thinking about this as a kind of subgenre unto itself vs appreciating women in metal, period, regardless of genre.

Thanks for engaging in this convo in good faith. <3