• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember the name of the band or song but I think it involved the word "Sonata". The song was kinda of like an opera telling the story about a dude pledging himself to a king then feeling betrayed I think. There are two versions one super high tempo and one real slow like a ballad. Sorry in advance for how little sense this makes

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure a ballad version exists, but maybe this?

EDIT: Power metal is incredibly tropey and your description, Sonata aside, could really be so, so many songs.

Nov 27, 2020
I can't remember the name of the band or song but I think it involved the word "Sonata". The song was kinda of like an opera telling the story about a dude pledging himself to a king then feeling betrayed I think. There are two versions one super high tempo and one real slow like a ballad. Sorry in advance for how little sense this makes
Is the band Sonata Arctica?

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
Could be Ruins of my Life by Sonata Arctica.

The land was then young, I was fighting for it like everyone.
Ready to die for the cause, for my King, for my Lord.

You were my reason to live, to fight another day.
You were the only one for me, and you were only for me.

Another year I would be gone.
The war was leading us so far apart.
I built a house to keep you there.
Waiting for me, waiting...

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
Yeah Silence and Winterheart's Guild are Sonata's best records.

If you want similar, I'd suggest Stratovarious, Cain's Offering and Kamelot.

Oct 27, 2017
Others that are suggested listening?
Their first 3-4 albums (Ecliptica, Silence, Winterheart's Guild and Reckoning Night) have a few hyper tempo songs like that. A few I like

Beyond them I guess Stratovarius would be a good rec, they were a major inspiration for Sonata and they're still around making good stuff. The albums Visions, Destiny and Infinite in particular all sound like the above.

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
For something similar in style, I always recommend Unleash the Archers:

This is the first song of Apex, an album that tells a story of the immortal, a being cursed to live forever in servitude of whomever knows the ritual to awaken him, and what happens when said ritual is uncovered by the Matriarch, an extremely powerful witch/hag. After the completion of that story, the most recent album, Abyss, picks up where the last one left off, several years later, and continues to story to an epic ending. I've listed straight through both albums back to back, and man I love the tale!

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
You guys were right about the band, this is the song I was talking about. It slaps

dude, I've literally been looking for this song since the 9th grade hahaha. Cheers for making this thread. Not that I've been actively searching. I knew it was Sonata Arctica even, just didn't take the time to dig through their catalog.

Galneryus from Japan is also some really great power metal. Syu (guitarist) is a BEAST. As a funny kinda coincidence, one of the oldest videos I know is a guitar battle between him and Jani from Sonata Arctica.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, is this a Sonata Arctica thread? :D

I'm surprised you didn't just ask me, Slayven. You should know I'm a metalhead >_>;

Their first 3-4 albums (Ecliptica, Silence, Winterheart's Guild and Reckoning Night) have a few hyper tempo songs like that. A few I like

First four Sonata Arctica albums are so great. Silence, the second album, has my favorite Sonata Arctica song:

Reckoning Night is an almost perfect album too. The songs on that album are fantastic. Ain't Your Fairytale, The Boy Who Wanted To Be a Real Puppet, My Selene, and Wildfire are standout tracks.

Later Sonata Arctica albums aren't as good, sadly, but they still have a few gems. Some good songs from their later stuff:
  • "Paid in Full" from Unia
  • "The Last Amazing Grays" and "Flag in the Ground" from The Days of Grays
  • "I Have a Right" and "Wildfire Pt 2/3" from Stones Grow Her Name
  • "The Wolves Die Young" and "Cloud Factory" from Pariah's Child.
Yeah Silence and Winterheart's Guild are Sonata's best records.

If you want similar, I'd suggest Stratovarious, Cain's Offering and Kamelot.

Epica and The Black Halo by Kamelot are two of the best metal concept albums ever done. In my opinion, they're among some of the best albums for people new to power/progressive/symphonic metal too.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020
I realize I might get some flak for this suggestion, but I'm going to throw it out anyway. Check out Gloryhammer…probably my favorite band of the past ten years. It's a little hard to describe, since it's simultaneously a parody of power metal, while also being great power metal in it's own right. Their songs are fantasy/sci-fi based epics, but they go SO hilariously over the top it circles back and becomes great. They have three albums which are each part of a single epic adventure through space, time and dimensions. All three albums are good, but if I had to pick my favorite, it's their second album, "Space 1992: Rise of the Chaos Wizards". Listening to their stuff just instantly puts me in a great mood, and it's fun.

Standing by to have my metal card revoked. Lol

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I realize I might get some flak for this suggestion, but I'm going to throw it out anyway. Check out Gloryhammer…probably my favorite band of the past ten years. It's a little hard to describe, since it's simultaneously a parody of power metal, while also being great power metal in it's own right. Their songs are fantasy/sci-fi based epics, but they go SO hilariously over the top it circles back and becomes great. They have three albums which are each part of a single epic adventure through space, time and dimensions. All three albums are good, but if I had to pick my favorite, it's their second album, "Space 1992: Rise of the Chaos Wizards". Listening to their stuff just instantly puts me in a great mood, and it's fun.

Nope. Glorryhammer is the same singer as Alestorm. I've not listen to too much, but they are indeed metal as heck.

Nov 27, 2020
Nope. Glorryhammer is the same singer as Alestorm. I've not listen to too much, but they are indeed metal as heck.
Lol…cool…I don't hang out or talk metal with people often, so I don't know how they're regarded. I know I like them, and I knew about the Alestorm connection (I think the keyboard player who's the evil wizard in Gloryhammer is the lead singer of Alestorm), but the fact that they don't take themselves super seriously might not sit well with some people. They're kind of a parody, kind of not, but they're way more serious than say, a band like Steel Panther, if that makes sense.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lol…cool…I don't hang out or talk metal with people often, so I don't know how they're regarded. I know I like them, and I knew about the Alestorm connection (I think the keyboard player who's the evil wizard in Gloryhammer is the lead singer of Alestorm), but the fact that they don't take themselves super seriously might not sit well with some people. They're kind of a parody, kind of not, but they're way more serious than say, a band like Steel Panther, if that makes sense.

Metal is metal. As far as I'm concerned, it's all fantastic as long as the band isn't really bigoted. I guess arguments could be made against nu metal, but nu metal's not really metal so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

One of my favorite bands lately has been Ancient Bards. It's basically the symphonic metal of Rhapsody, but with the cheese factor bumped up to 11, and I love it.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Great band. Their sound changed in a way that's not to my preference but I still love the older stuff.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
edit: oh you already found it lol.

Sounds like you're talking about Sonata Arctica - Wolf and Raven

Here's the balad:

If you have Spotify, listen to their Best of compilation. Covers a lot of the best stuff from their good years:
open.spotify.com

Best of Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica · Compilation · 2006 · 17 songs.

As far as their albums go, Ecliptica and Silence are top tier.

Similar stuff? Back when I used to listen to Sonata I really liked Kamelot:

Last edited:

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't mind growling, Finntroll is fun as fuck. One of my favorite live shows:

I don't like their music quite as much, but Gloryhammer is suuuuch a good live show. They really know how to get the crowd going. They gave us a quest last time to help a guy crowdsurf to get them a beer.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Me at all the awesome suggestions in this thread:

waynesworldheadbangqejg3.gif

Some other good suggestions. Freedom Call is heavy on the Power Metal side of things, where as Delain is more on the symphonic side. I got to see Delain and Sonata Arctica live in concert, and they were absolutely amazing.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Oh cool, a power metal thread. Will watch for suggestions and throw out the obvious Rhapsody [of Fire] mention because Emerald Sword is my definitive power metal song. The energy. The cheese. It has everything.

Nov 27, 2020
If you don't mind growling, Finntroll is fun as fuck. One of my favorite live shows:

I don't like their music quite as much, but Gloryhammer is suuuuch a good live show. They really know how to get the crowd going. They gave us a quest last time to help a guy crowdsurf to get them a beer.

Oh damn…I really want to see them live someday.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I knew this thread was familiar... Slayven my friend, you're getting forgetful in your old age I see:

www.resetera.com

Suggest songs like "Wolf and Raven" by Sonata Arctica

I hard this in an amv years ago and fell in love with it. I am now read to hear more like it

I kid, I kid.

Or do I
This is for all the times you called me old! :D

Anywho, my recs in the old thread stand. 🤘

I'm surprised you didn't just ask me, @Slayven. You should know I'm a metalhead >_>;
Same, I am taking this personally!

Could also give Symphony X a listen.
This is also good advice.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, is this a Sonata Arctica thread? :D

I'm surprised you didn't just ask me, Slayven. You should know I'm a metalhead >_>;
I was going to ask Morrigan but she already yells at me too much

I knew this thread was familiar... Slayven my friend, you're getting forgetful in your old age I see:

www.resetera.com

Suggest songs like "Wolf and Raven" by Sonata Arctica

I hard this in an amv years ago and fell in love with it. I am now read to hear more like it

I kid, I kid.

Or do I
This is for all the times you called me old! :D

Anywho, my recs in the old thread stand. 🤘

Same, I am taking this personally!

This is also good advice.

Modding has made me lose what little mind i had

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Unfortunately Days of Grays was their last album with any decent songs, they've been putting out mediocre stuff ever since (although it was overall still lackluster and a far cry from their last truly great album Reckoning Night).

The Collection is a good compilation and is what I got. I don't think it's available digitally though.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Their cover of Metallica's Fade to Black is fucking awesome. It starts off pretty similar to the original but it goes another way by the end...

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
Others that are suggested listening?
Imaginations from the other side, Nightfall in middle earth and A night at the Opera by Blind Guardian are some of the best Power metal albums though they're less cheesy than Sonata Arctica.

You can also try Epica and The Black Halo by Kamelot. They're legendary concept albums based on Goethe's Faust.

Lost Horizon's Awakening The World and A flame to the ground beneath are criminally overlooked power metal albums.

Symphony X had a brilliant run of albums from The Divine Wings of Tragedy, all the way to Paradise Lost.

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
Oh cool, a power metal thread. Will watch for suggestions and throw out the obvious Rhapsody [of Fire] mention because Emerald Sword is my definitive power metal song. The energy. The cheese. It has everything.

You, saved me from having to post Rhapsody. They're quintessential cheesy power metal and I love them.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Blind Guardian in a power metal too. Personally one of my top 2 favorite bands ever. The album A Night at the Opera is probably most similar to Sonata Arctica in sound.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Avantasia is my favourite power metal. Pretty much a who's who of guest vocalists.

Hard to pick a favourite song as I see it as favourite album and play the entire thing.

But they also have an awesome ABBA cover.

Oct 27, 2017
Imaginations from the other side, Nightfall in middle earth and A night at the Opera by Blind Guardian are some of the best Power metal albums though they're less cheesy than Sonata Arctica.

You can also try Epica and The Black Halo by Kamelot. They're legendary concept albums based on Goethe's Faust.

Lost Horizon's Awakening The World and A flame to the ground beneath are criminally overlooked power metal albums.

At least Daniel Heiman is singing in a legit power metal band for a change, with an album dropping in ~ two weeks:

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

You, saved me from having to post Rhapsody. They're quintessential cheesy power metal and I love them.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Blind Guardian in a power metal too. Personally one of my top 2 favorite bands ever. The album A Night at the Opera is probably most similar to Sonata Arctica in sound.

Okay, y'all cannot just come in here, mention Rhapsody, and not mention Unholy Warcry

Rhapsody at their absolute best.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Listening to Unleash the Archers atm, any more recs for power metal with female vocalists? I have a soft spot for Luca Turilli's third album because of the guest singer - she kills it lol. It's not his most inspired compositions but she makes it worth revisitng. Her name's Bridget Fogle iirc.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
A Slayven thread asking about more power metal means Gloryhammer should've been recommended and I see it has. Well done.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not a huge metalhead of power metal expert, but I do know that this fucking slaps

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
No power metal thread is acceptable without some Kai Hansen, the founder of the genre.

I already posted Helloween in the older thread so here's some Gamma Ray

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
I don't really listen to this subgenre, but the closest I can think of I do like is the Sturm und Drang album by Lamb of God.

and maybe try some Ghost if you're into the more theatrical aspect.