• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017

Metagame Documentary is an eight-part series following the five best Super Smash Brothers Melee players as they battle to be the best in the world.

Fri, Dec 11

Episodes 1 - 3
2pm PT / 5pm ET / 10pm GMT​

Sat, Dec 12

Episodes 4 - 6
2pm PT / 5pm ET / 10pm GMT​

Sun, Dec 13

Episodes 7 - 8
2pm PT / 5pm ET / 10pm GMT

https://www.metagamedoc.com/

https://www.twitch.tv/metagame
'Metagame' is the sequel to the famous 2013 documentary series 'The Smash Brothers' that ushered in a new generation of Melee players into the scene along with the charity drive to push Melee into Evo 2013.

Last edited:

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
Will definitely watch, but I kind of wish they'd cover something else Melee related. The plot/story of the "Five Gods" has been covered ad nauseum. Though I guess chronologically it has to be covered following the first doc.

#FreeMelee

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My god it's finally done. There was always a part of me that wondered if it would ever be released.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize we had an OT.

The five gods narrative in Melee was probably one of the most compelling storylines in eSports, super excited for this.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow. The first documentary was amazing and got me into watching Melee despite having never played the game. The narratives are just fun to follow. Had no idea they were planning a sequel!

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have any tippers? is a top tier bad Smash pickup line

OP
OP
Lady Bow

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Holy shit the production value is off the charts. Melee looks SO GOOD with motion blur too.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
M2K manually counted the frame data by pausing and unpausing...

czFaMEq.jpg

OP
OP
Lady Bow

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
That new main theme song thoughhhhhhhh

Juicy Fruit has a worthy succesor.

Fantastic first episode. Loved the parallels between Pound 3 and TBH4.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely worth the wait so far. I feel like they've made improvements on the original in nearly every way.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This makes me so nostalgic, this was the time when I started getting into Melee so it has such a special place in my heart. I'm glad it isn't treading too much of the same ground as the first doc despite focusing so heavily on many of the same players.

Maybe they could have done a bit more redacting with certain people but that's the only major critique and it's only really something people who follow the scene closely could even spot anyway

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
1st episode had some slightly weird pacing, but it was still great. 2 and 3 were exceptional, and it seems like it's just hitting its stride.

Pretty stellar

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I missed it? There an archive?
They'll be streaming episodes 4-6 tomorrow, and the whole series again in a week(?) or so. The first 3 episodes should be available on demand tomorrow (I think), but I don't think it's been announced where yet.

The short term goal is to get the series on a streaming service.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The production values were incredible, the narratives seem like they might be a bit all over the place for people not familiar with the scene but things got more straightened out partway through the second episode

I have a HUGE softspot for the first documentary. I remember the night it was released someone on GameFAQs or Reddit posted it, I had an exam the next day but I ended up staying up all night watching it. In retrospect it feels a little more like a senior film school student's project in terms of the actual filmmaking and there are some moments that aged pretty poorly, but the narratives are really fun and it documented an era of Smash that wasn't previously well documented. When I was first getting into the scene I probably rewatched it like five times. This actually feels like a complete and well put together professional documentary, but the narratives haven't really coalesced into something I feel like the average person who isn't super familiar with these people could get invested in. Some of the moment-to-moment shots are really damn gripping, though.

Definitely going to be watching the whole thing this weekend.

TheDoldrums

Nov 10, 2017
Wow that was so, so good. I've never played Melee in my life but I loved the first doc and was engrossed again.

PPMD's stories about Mango were hilarious. I'm paraphrasing but something like "I'd love to tell you he gets nicer the more you get to know him but..." I knew more about Mango and Armada going in so Kevin's story has been the highlight for me so far.

Also that awkward interaction with Armada in robot mode silently standing beside someone for awhile before being wished good luck, that slayed me for some reason.

Jun 22, 2019
I've only seen (part of) ep4 of this so far, but the structure they went with seems really sporadic/scattershot, and I personally find it pretty bad? It feels like they had tons and tons of footage with zero forethought for arranging it / telling a story, and are trying to include as much of the collected footage as possible across this whole multi-episode production, which has made the experience feel like a bushel of tangents.

Edit: Now I've seen eps 4-6 and what I typed earlier still applies but not quite as much. That being said, this is certainly not stirring up feelings in me like the 2013 documentary was able to do back then (I have no idea how much of that is due to difference of time and context vs the content of both projects). And I don't even feel a fraction of what I often feel watching top 8s for melee tourneys - there's nowhere near enough tension or anticipatory build-up to enjoy moments that were historically quite hype. This ended up feeling bland for me personally, gotta be honest. I'm not even ready to mentally jump into how this series wants to have its cake and eat it too when it comes to addressing what terrible human beings many of the players were/are. The vibe at the end of it all certainly seems to excuse all past behavior too for the sake of the game or something which... yeesh. It was just jarring to see those tangents of "here's something horrible X player did/said, now let's move past that because in the next tournament this happened!"

Last edited:

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure much of this episode would make sense without the first three leading into it.

I think episode one might even be a little confusing for people not familiar with these people, but two and three introduce the five different storylines that are happening at the same time pretty well.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
This isn't as big an improvement overt he original doc as I'd hoped. In some ways, like structure, it's worse.
Maybe Samox should have just stuck with his original plan and did an Armada movie, the Armada sections are the best anyway.