• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.metacritic.com/pictures/best-videogames-of-2019-at-midyear?ref=hp

List:

(Platform and Metascores in parentheses)

#16 [tie]: Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled (PS4, 84)
#16 [tie]: DiRT Rally 2.0 (PS4, 84)
#16 [tie]: Irony Curtain: From Matryoshka with Love (PC, 84)
#16 [tie]: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey (3DS, 84)
#16 [tie]: Wargroove (Switch, 84)
#12 [tie]: Blaster Master Zero II (Switch, 85)
#12 [tie]: Devotion (PC, 85)
#12 [tie]: Outer Wilds (PC, 85)
#12 [tie]: Total War: Three Kingdoms (PC, 85)
#7 [tie]: AMID EVIL (PC, 86)
#7 [tie]: Cadence of Hyrule (Switch, 86)
#7 [tie]: MLB The Show 19 (PS4, 86)
#7 [tie]: Steins'Gate Elite (PS4, 86)
#7 [tie]: Sunless Skies (PC, 86)
#6: Devil May Cry 5 (XB1, 87)
#3 [tie]: Apex Legends (PC, 89)
#3 [tie]: Slay the Spire (PC, 89)
#3 [tie[: Super Mario Maker 2 (Switch, 89)
#2: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4, 90)
#1: Resident Evil 2 (PS4, 91)

perhaps this will help with the "I've played RE2 and Sekiro, what now?"-type threads.

thoughts?

Last edited:

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm just getting old but none of that outside of RE 2 and Sekiro looks appealing to me.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand why Metacritic doesn't combine all of the reviews under one entry like Opencritic, makes these lists feel weird.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Nice to see Amid Evil get some recognition. That plus Dusk has really scratched that classic shooter itch while I wait patiently for doom eternal

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Just beat Amid Evil recently. Had no idea it was one of the better received games this year thus far.

Oct 25, 2017
if Death Stranding doesn't hit the mark then I expect RE2 to be the consensus pick. Remember that it did already win the E3 Critics' Award last year so it's not like it's barred from getting awards.
That's what I mean. If RE2 happens to be the best game of 2019 even after DS, will it be eligible for GOTY? That would be interesting to see.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
RE2 is one of my favorite games ever but if Remake ends up being the 'consensus' GOTY in December this year has been incredibly disappointing.

Oct 25, 2017
REmake 2 does deserve that #1 stop, I'm not even an RE fan and I think it's one of the best games ever made.

I'm happy to see Blaster Master Zero 2 in there as well.

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
RE2 is one of my favorite games ever but if Remake ends up being the 'consensus' GOTY in December this year has been incredibly disappointing.

I oon't know about disappointing, but many people would at least agree that this is a transitional year as we gear up for the next generation.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Why would that matter?
An evolving multiplayer game having staying power and being more than an initial positive impression doesn't matter to you? My feelings on Apex are different now than they were in February and I like the game. How I'd review the game at launch versus now would be different too. Shows how inadequate reviewing a game like that within days of its release is.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Metacritic should just consolidate the reviews regardless of platform. For example DMC5 got a 87 on Xbox One and and 88 on PS4. It seems pointless to have 2 different ones.

Also is Apex Legends that good?

Outside of the trifecta that is DMC5, Sekiro, & RE2 this year has been too crazy.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019
An evolving multiplayer game having staying power and being more than an initial positive impression doesn't matter to you? My feelings on Apex are different now than they were in February and I like the game. How I'd review the game at launch versus now would be different too. Shows how inadequate reviewing a game like that within days of its release is.
The core experience hasn't really changed though.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
There are definitely some good games there. But when you compare it to 2017/2018 at this time...Man, this is a weak year.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
There are definitely some good games there. But when you compare it to 2017/2018 at this time...Man, this is a weak year.
I thought 2018 was weak compared to 2017. 2017 was nuts. Also we kinda should have expected for this year to be a bit light given new consoles. The 1st 3-4 months of next year is basically get your shit out before the new consoles arrive. Lol...

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017

Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers

Take part in the next saga of FINAL FANTASYĀ® XIV Online with the next legendary expansion packā€”SHADOWBRINGERS. New jobs: Gunbreaker and Dancer New races: Viera and Hrothgar Level cap increased: 70 to 80 New cities: The Crystarium and Eulmore Journey through expansive new areas, such as the...

uhm?

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully end of year is stronger, already played an enjoyed the top two.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Wilds and Slay the Spire have "instant classic" written all over them and I think we'll see a lot of outlets coming to similar conclusions by the year's end.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
perhaps this will help with the "I've played RE2 and Sekiro, what now?"-type threads.

thoughts?
Out of those, I've enjoyed Slay the Spire (last year), Outer Wilds, and... uh... yeah. Probably gonna spend some time on Super Mario Maker 2 but that's about it.

Anno 1800 not in the top 20 feels weird though. Same for Baba is You and maybe Hypnospace Outlaw.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even play apex legends that much and think that it deserves that score.

Most fun I had with a FPS this gen.