• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Does this bother anyone else? There was the Dreams review thread where the vast majority of us thought it would score within the 90s. And for quite some time we were right, me being the debbiedowner voted all the way down but now it's dropped to 89. If you look at MC now it's going to say "generally favorable reviews"

Now, I do believe that because video games can be an expensive hobby that acclaim should be in higher regard than film or television, which will cap their "acclaim" status at around 80, I think. But I don't think it's fair to say a video game isn't acclaimed if its score is 89. To me there should be room to go until 86-99 for critical acclaim. I know that's only giving room for 4 fewer points but very often we have games that score from 86-89 that aren't regarded as critically acclaimed when in many case in my opinion, they should.

What do you think?

Mod edit: updated title from 'critical' to 'universal' based on Metacritic's descriptives

Last edited by a moderator:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's just an arbitrary line that they had to draw somewhere, they must think that's fair enough. Don't see the issue.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
The difference has to be somewhere. If it was lower (for example 86), then again somebody will inevitably complain that an 85 should also be considered critical acclaim.

It's a never ending loop.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it has anything to do with being expensive, it's more that games get higher scores in general. Just look at how low movies can go before they're no longer green reviews and compare it to games.

If anything gets a 7, then below 9 is hardly universal acclaim.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about Metacritic at all, so whatever Metacritic deems as "critically acclaimed" doesn't matter to me.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
not particularly important but it is an odd way to do things I guess. Cumulative GOTY winner Death Stranding not being considered "critically acclaimed" is pretty funny

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Very arbitrary. No one really says spiderman or horizon aren't critically acclaimed, yet both are just under 90.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
I'm sure this matters to the developers and publishers, given how much stock they put into scores and MC already.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
You shouldn't let this sort of thing bother you. A game that settled at 89 isn't somehow notably worse than one that ultimately landed on 90 just because Metacritic's arbitrary scoring system doesn't consider it "universally acclaimed".

Last edited:

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
It's a chicken and egg problem, sure, a 7 should be considered a good score, but it isn't, so an 8 can't be considered "universally aclaimed"; even thougj it should, but in order for an 8 to be considered universally aclaimed, then a 7 shouldn't be consiered a bad score, and a 8 should be considered a great score. But that's not the case...

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
no, metacritic does not need to change their entire scoring system because a game you like didn't hit the critical acclaim category

games get higher review scores from critics than movies or tv shows do, so setting 90 or above as the "critical acclaim" point makes sense

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Review scores are arbitrary and companies should stop putting so much stock in them, especially metacritic specifically.

Oct 25, 2017
People who argue over and base their purchases and enjoyment of games on a metacritic or opencritic number never fail to amaze me.
it doesn't matter, at all.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It doesn't bother me, but it surprises me. I'd think 85% would be the cut off on this sort of arbitrary scale. Especially because they independently interpret scores without a number score I believe.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017

It's this. No matter what reviewers or aggregation sites do, they're going to always be criticized by gamers, a traditionally calm and thoughtful group. No matter what the cutoff or metric used, people will be upset when a game they like doesn't receive it's "deserved" credit and people feel their opinions aren't being validated.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Never even heard of Metacritic calling something critically acclaimed in the first place so doesn't bother me. If it was something that was considered more prestigious than being called critically aclaimed by metacritic maybe it would bother me cause it is quite a high bar.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't bother me, but it surprises me. I'd think 85% would be the cut off on this sort of arbitrary scale. Especially because they independently interpret scores without a number score I believe.
80 is the cut off point for universal acclaim on metacritic for other forms of media, but considering the generally inflated scores that video game reviewers give, it's a good decision imo to have a different system for games.

screenshot2020-02-24a54ki7.png

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Who cares?

MC has a set of arbitrary rules. You can choose to follow or ignore them. For the most part outside of internet/forums no one gives a shit, unless you happen to have an incentive clause in your contract dependent on a specific MC score.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Practically everything about Metacritic, and the way that people think about Metacritic is dumb as hell.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
It's the case since a long while, and yeah it's dumb, but it's also adapted to gaming reviews not using the full scale for reviews.

It's weird that it took Dreams going from 90 to 89 to lead to this tbh.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
nah. 90 is the bar and the games that go over are considered my metacritic critically acclaimed . Its fine as it is .

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Who cares?

MC has a set of arbitrary rules. You can choose to follow or ignore them. For the most part outside of internet/forums no one gives a shit, unless you happen to have an incentive clause in your contract dependent on a specific MC score.
a lot of people care about metascore than not , be it on internet or not . Most people dont care about opencritic tho, well most people dont even know about it

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Calling an 89 "generally favorable" does seem a bit ridiculous. 85 would be a better cut off point.

Not very important though.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Does this bother anyone else? There was the Dreams review thread where the vast majority of us thought it would score within the 90s. And for quite some time we were right, me being the debbiedowner voted all the way down but now it's dropped to 89. If you look at MC now it's going to say "generally favorable reviews"

Now, I do believe that because video games can be an expensive hobby that acclaim should be in higher regard than film or television, which will cap their "acclaim" status at around 80, I think. But I don't think it's fair to say a video game isn't acclaimed if its score is 89. To me there should be room to go until 86-99 for critical acclaim. I know that's only giving room for 4 fewer points but very often we have games that score from 86-89 that aren't regarded as critically acclaimed when in many case in my opinion, they should.

What do you think?

Games are higher than television and films because a large chunk of games media basically has 5 scores. 0-6 is typically reserved for unplayable junk, and 7-10 for games they actually want to give a score to. That makes an average between 9-10 roughly the top fifth of the score range and that seems like as fine a arbitrarily decided cutoff as any.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
a lot of people care about metascore than not , be it on internet or not . Most people dont care about opencritic tho, well most people dont even know about it
The majority of people who are not on ResetEra and also anyone who is on Era that enjoys critical consensus sites and reviews.

If "a lot" or "majority of people" were true then how do you explain all these 75-85 games dominating the sales charts year in and year out?

I have no opinion on opencritic outside of it being an alternative to MC.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Large group of people not giving a shit about the subject coming into the thread to make clear that they don't give a shit about it.
You're so cool.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Metacritic is unbelievably flawed. It's not perfect, but Opencritic is the new standard.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The line has to be drawn somewhere, it was drawn here, some games will be affected, some won't, it'll be okay.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
That's not a bad bar for "critically acclaimed". There is plenty of room on the spectrum between that and "terrible"

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Doesn't really bother me. Not sure if it's supported by fact, but it at least feels like video game reviews run higher than other mediums, so it'd make sense for these types of scales to be shifted up a bit. Would be interesting to see how they decided on those exact numbers of if they just kinda picked them randomly.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
It's just a meaningless agregate anyway. Shouldn't having just one review above a 9 be enough to make a game "critically acclaimed?"