• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 11, 2018
I like how games need numerical scores to be critically acclaimed. I guess sites that don't give out numbers don't matter.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
You gotta draw the line somewhere, and I'm sure people will argue until the sun explodes as to where that line goes. I'm sure some people will come up with wildly convoluted measurements that have little-to-no applicability but will also capture their most beloved pet games that are sub-90 so they can feel validation that their favorite game is loved by all.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I have completely stopped using metacritic. Pick a few reviewers that you've seemed to share taste with in the past and read what they have to say. Then make an informed decision based on that. If I followed that score I would have skipped a lot of games in the past that I ended up loving.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
90 is fine and at the end of the day it doesn't really matter.
The majority of people who are not on ResetEra and also anyone who is on Era that enjoys critical consensus sites and reviews.
jQ175Gv.gif

I like how games need numerical scores to be critically acclaimed. I guess sites that don't give out numbers don't matter.
Yup it's bullshit, then again a majority of people don't actually read reviews more than the final paragraph and score. Video reviews tend to hold attention spans better but if a score is upfront people tend to ignore those too and sites like metacritic just fast forwards people not actually reading reviews

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't bother me. And in Dreams case it didn't have a bunch of reviews for awhile, i think it was 12-15. It actually makes sense to me /shrug

OP
OP
The Artisan

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Games are higher than television and films because a large chunk of games media basically has 5 scores. 0-6 is typically reserved for unplayable junk, and 7-10 for games they actually want to give a score to. That makes an average between 9-10 roughly the top fifth of the score range and that seems like as fine a arbitrarily decided cutoff as any.
This makes sense but are you sure this is the case? Some video games will have like over 70 review scores and still managed to grade above 90

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Sounds fine to me, don't see anything wrong with it. That being said it makes very little difference in the grand scheme of things, so does it really matter?

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
I agree with it and think it's a great line to set considering the generally inflated nature of video game scoring.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm amazed something as well-executed as Dreams is below a 90 on Metacritic. Even if you set aside the potential, the quality of what is already there is astounding.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never cared much for it all personally, anything over 80-85 generally piques my interest anyway

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Games on average are rated way too high. If you call a game "critically acclaimed" when its score is 85 or whatever then most of what AAA publishers put out would be "critically acclaimed", which would make that phrase meaningless.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Scores are actually useless. Smaller AA or niche games like Dreams seem to have a cap at around the 80s for some reason, so I wouldn't put any weight into that at all. Look at general feedback, and then look at fan feedback and figure out yourself if you fit within the niche audience.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Metacritic is only valuable if you want to go and see a list of who's reviewed a thing, and then go read some of those reviews and make your own opinion of whether you might like a thing.. The agregate score they provide is essentially meaningless.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
Once you set 89 as "critically acclaimed" then what about games there scored 88? It's a slippery slope situation.

So set cutoff and applies it for every game. it's only fair.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Most of my favourite reviewing sites don't give a numbered score so I learned to stop caring about scores and MC stuff a long time ago.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
So we've gone beyond caring about review scores, and now we're on what label a game is given, based on said scores.

Ok.

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
MetaCritic is pish anyway

lazy fools only look at the score. Instead find the best critiques and analysis. Learn about reasons behind reviewers final judgement

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I don't care if it's critically acclaimed or not, but in don't buy games that score under 75 unless it's a personal favorite series of mine. You all might be fine spending money in whatever but real/dolar rate doesn't allow me to do so, so I'm pretty selective with what I buy. So yeah, metacritic is good for me as it is for a lot of people in a situation similar to mine.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's a good metric. Most AAA games get in the 80s. They can't all be acclaimed. Personally I'd say 86 or something though

Feb 24, 2018
So we've gone beyond caring about review scores, and now we're on what label a game is given, based on said scores.

Ok.
The thing about that is that it feels now that Metacritic is now in some ways encouraging this behaviour now, their is so way they don't know how their site is used and, how does an arbitrary label help anyone besides those who care way too much about their site which will guarantee more toxicity, more anger about scores and more hate towards critics and reviewers.

At least it's not as bad as Rotten Tomatoes attempt like that infamous incident with Justice League (they decided to withhold having the review score up for the movie because the want to use it to promote their podcast and reveal it there, the stunt was kind of a mess and failed and I'm so glad it did, can you imagine if it succeeded and they turned big movie scores like they were Smash character announcements?)

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
OP keeps writing "critically acclaimed" which isn't even the label used by metacritic. It's "universal acclaim". You have to draw a line somewhere and 90+ for universal acclaim seems... fine? Why does this matter at all lol.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The thing about that is that it feels now that Metacritic is now in some ways encouraging this behaviour now, their is so way they don't know how their site is used and, how does an arbitrary label help anyone besides those who care way too much about their site which will guarantee more toxicity, more anger about scores and more hate towards critics and reviewers.

At least it's not as bad as Rotten Tomatoes attempt like that infamous incident with Justice League (they decided to withhold having the review score up for the movie because the want to use it to promote their podcast and reveal it there, the stunt was kind of a mess and failed and I'm so glad it did, can you imagine if it succeeded and they turned big movie scores like they were Smash character announcements?)
These labels aren't new though are they? And sites have done the whole label thing for review scores since time began.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
The number on metacritic means nothing to consumers except those poor fools who get some sense of ownership having high scoring exclusives on their platform of choice, and the that title even less so.