• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Congrats to the winners. I think Sega was top publisher for me last year, with two games in my TOP 10. Square Enix had two too, but with lower rankings.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
GOW - 94
Spiderman - 87
Astrobot - 90
Shadow of the Colossus -91
Detroit - 78
MLB The Show - 82
What brought the Sony ranking down by so much? Is it their mobile games?

Sep 28, 2018
Super congratulations to Capcom!

But for me the real hero is SEGA, I have loved their output this year... If they had actually published Monster Boy it would be even higher. But they don't actually have any AAA FPS franchisees their belt, so being this competitive is really impressive. They publish a hell of a lot of niche yet fantastic games. I'm so glad to see games like Yakuza finally getting the recognition they deserve and a game like Sonic Mania, where they put their faith in the fans and it paid off... I hope they can keep it up.

Apr 21, 2018
Woah SEGA's numero dos?

Dem Yakuzas and VC4 I imagine? I guess not having a new 3D Sonic game this year helps as well.
Even with 3D Sonic, Metacritics admitted Sega was the only major publishers remaining in the top 3 in the recent years.

Even in 2018 his score is impressive since Sega released 30 games ! Capcom 14... it's obvious to say there is no clear winner this year.(best Sega Games, japanese arcades are not even counted) Only two kings without crown, two legends remain, like the good old time ;)

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
The Sony list is suspect with Unties' two games being included despite not being a SIE label. They're under the Sony Music Entertainment umbrella.

The three Sony brands they include (bolded are their actually-published games):

SIE LLC
Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - 90
Creed: Rise to Glory - 75
Firewall Zero Hour - 79
The Persistence - 78

Creed has no mention of SIE as publisher on the PS Store page. It's self-published by Survios.
The same goes for The Persistence by Firesprite. Astro Bot and Firewall Zero Hour are SIE games.

Unties
The Midnight Sanctuary - 50
Azure Reflections (Switch) - 70

Unties is a Sony Music Entertainment Japan label, which is completely separate from SIE.

SIE
The Inpatient - 59
Shadow of the Colossus - 91

Moss - 85
Bravo Team - 45
Frantics - 68
World of Warriors - 61
MLB The Show 18 - 82
God of War - 94
Detroit: Become Human - 78

Salary Man Escape VR - 63
Animal Force - 57
Track Lab - 64
Marvel's Spider-Man - 87
Deracine - 68

Tetris Effect - 89
Chimparty - 62
Knowledge Is Power: Decades - 64

Animal Force, Salary Man Escape are published by Oasis Games, not Sony. Tetris Effect is self-published by Enhance. Moss is self-published by Polyarc, so that also shouldn't count for them.

They've got Sony down for 21 games and with their published games and the two Unties games, I only count 17 games. So it's confusing as to what the other titles could be.

Based on the distribution chart, it's 1 Bad, 11 Mixed, and 9 Good games. So here's the confirmed items for those tiers:

Bad (1):
Bravo Team - 45

Mixed (9):
Azure Reflections - 70
The Inpatient - 59
Frantics - 68
World of Warriors - 61
Track Lab - 64
Deracine - 68
Chimparty - 62

Good (7):
Firewall Zero Hour - 79
MLB The Show 18 - 82
God of War - 94
Marvel's Spider-Man - 87

The remaining two Mixed games are these that shouldn't count:
Animal Force - 57

The two remaining Good games are any of these that shouldn't count:
The Persistence - 78
Moss - 85
Tetris Effect - 89

I'm guessing that it's Creed and The Persistance, but I have no idea what it could be since they don't have a list on the page for what they include in the formula. It probably doesn't change the score very much, but that's not the point.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
The Sony list is suspect with Unties' two games being included despite not being a SIE label. They're under the Sony Music Entertainment umbrella.

SIE LLC
Firewall Zero Hour - 79
The Persistence - 78

Creed has no mention of SIE as publisher on the PS Store page. It's self-published by Survios.
The same goes for The Persistence by Firesprite. Astro Bot and Firewall Zero Hour are SIE games.

Unties

Unties is a Sony Music Entertainment Japan label, which is completely separate from SIE.

SIE
The Inpatient - 59

Moss - 85
Bravo Team - 45
Frantics - 68
World of Warriors - 61
MLB The Show 18 - 82
God of War - 94

Animal Force - 57
Track Lab - 64
Marvel's Spider-Man - 87
Deracine - 68

Tetris Effect - 89
Chimparty - 62

Animal Force, Salary Man Escape are published by Oasis Games, not Sony. Tetris Effect is self-published by Enhance. Moss is self-published by Polyarc, so that also shouldn't count for them.

They've got Sony down for 21 games and with their published games and the two Unties games, I only count 17 games. So it's confusing as to what the other titles could be.

Based on the distribution chart, it's 1 Bad, 11 Mixed, and 9 Good games. So here's the confirmed items for those tiers:

Bad (1):
Bravo Team - 45

Mixed (9):
Azure Reflections - 70
The Inpatient - 59
Frantics - 68
World of Warriors - 61
Track Lab - 64
Deracine - 68
Chimparty - 62

Good (7):
Firewall Zero Hour - 79
MLB The Show 18 - 82
God of War - 94
Marvel's Spider-Man - 87

Animal Force - 57

The Persistence - 78
Moss - 85
Tetris Effect - 89

I'm guessing that it's Creed and The Persistance, but I have no idea what it could be since they don't have a list on the page for what they include in the formula. It probably doesn't change the score very much, but that's not the point.
Metacritic's list is confusing. They don't seem to be counting every game, but I have no idea what they did there.

But I did find link for Salary Man Escapes made by someone at Oasis Games that claims, "We're also the strategic publishing partner of Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) Shanghai for the overseas publishing market." So that's one game in the defense.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Metacritic's list is confusing. They don't seem to be counting every game, but I have no idea what they did there.

But I did find link for Salary Man Escapes made by someone at Oasis Games that claims, "We're also the strategic publishing partner of Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) Shanghai for the overseas publishing market." So that's one game in the defense.
They're a Chinese publisher/developer that helps Sony out in that region, but that still doesn't really make them count as SIE for their games in the West. Octopath Traveler doesn't count as a Square Enix game despite being published by them in Japan, right?

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
does sound like including Sony Music published titles hurt Sony's average when 'Sony' as we think of them regarding video games has nothing to do with those games :-/ kinda crap Metacritic didn't filter them out as a separate publisher since essentially that's what they are

SIE LLC
Firewall Zero Hour - 79
The Persistence - 78

Unties

SIE
The Inpatient - 59

Moss - 85
Bravo Team - 45
Frantics - 68
World of Warriors - 61
MLB The Show 18 - 82
God of War - 94

Animal Force - 57
Track Lab - 64
Marvel's Spider-Man - 87
Deracine - 68

Tetris Effect - 89
Chimparty - 62

Bad (1):
Bravo Team - 45

Mixed (9):
Azure Reflections - 70
The Inpatient - 59
Frantics - 68
World of Warriors - 61
Track Lab - 64
Deracine - 68
Chimparty - 62

Good (7):
Firewall Zero Hour - 79
MLB The Show 18 - 82
God of War - 94
Marvel's Spider-Man - 87

Animal Force - 57

The Persistence - 78
Moss - 85
Tetris Effect - 89

based off this I'm kinda curious where the two Sonys would rank if broken down separately in these rankings

the Music team had better output than I thought (didn't realize Moss & Tetris Effect fell under their umbrella?)

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
https://www.metacritic.com/feature/game-publisher-rankings-for-2018-releases

DyI46JvVAAEtjTL.jpg:large

More at the link above.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Congrats to Capcom and Sega. I just wish the quality Sega titles lead to greater sales and more recognition as a great publisher.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EA is the #1 Western publisher as per Metacritic.

EDIT: WTF That is only for "major publishers"... look at the list of their "mid-size publishers" including companies like

Activsion Blizzard
WB
Bethesda
Take Two
Microsoft

How the heck are Capcom and Sega "Major", yet any of the above "mid-size"?

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017

EDIT: WTF That is only for "major publishers"... look at the list of their "mid-size publishers" including companies like

Activsion Blizzard
WB
Bethesda
Take Two
Microsoft

LMAO its funny to see Activision and Take Two compared to Arc System works.

But maybe they count major and midsize based on the sheer number of titles they put out ? Not necessarily the budget of said titles.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

Metacritic's criteria for major/mid-sized are purely numbers-based by no.of SKU released.

Capcom and SEGA released more individual SKU of games last year vs WB/Acti.

Deleted member 43077

Banned
May 9, 2018
Everyone did pretty great overall. It being secluded to "major" just due to sku's released doesnt show the entire picture but regardless that doesnt take away from the success they are having critically.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Something like this is probably more fair when you only average out the highest 5 games. Like how in some sports the lowest score is removed from the tally.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's bizarre that they had the idea to put SIE and Sony Music on the same thing when both are different divisions of Sony Corp. lol And for people surprised about EA, their worse game was Fe with 70 and most of the others had 80 so their average was high.

Why is Activision-Blizzard not included?

They released less than 12 games. Those publishers are on mid size.