• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
Do you disagree with her message? Should progressives not try to work from the inside?

of course I do not disagree with her message, where in my post I wrote that. But I think that they are other ways to do that. Those inside jobs never get the job done. Hamilton's did a cool thing, for example, less show more action. I bet she is fighting the rich and all but there are other -less cringy- ways to do that. The progressive party here in my country just announced an "strategic" alliance with a homophobic pastor, because "they have to reach the poor". Sorry if I'm esceptic about progressiveness.

Oct 25, 2017
of course I do not disagree with her message, where in my post I wrote that. But I think that they are other ways to do that. Those inside jobs never get the job done. Hamilton's did a cool thing, for example, less show more action. I bet she is fighting the rich and all but there are other -less cringy- ways to do that. The progressive party here in my country just announced an "strategic" alliance with a homophobic pastor, because "they have to reach the poor". Sorry if I'm esceptic about progressiveness.

If she starts hanging with homophobic pastor's, then we can talk, but I think that's pretty far down the slippery slope from hanging with people in the Arts who are at the top of their game. Saying that she shouldn't go to an event like this is playing right into the Right's narrative that Progressives are Communists that want everyone to live identical lifestyles regardless of personal achievements.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
If she starts hanging with homophobic pastor's, then we can talk, but I think that's pretty far down the slippery slope from hanging with people in the Arts who are at the top of their game. Saying that she shouldn't go to an event like this is playing right into the Right's narrative that Progressives are Communists that want everyone to live identical lifestyles regardless of personal achievements.

I didn't implied that she is hanging with any homophobic people, again you are misrepresenting what I'm saying. I just state that sometimes progressiveness can go wrong. And not all progressive acts are good. And I make an example of how a progressive party can do wrong trying to do the right. And I know that Capitalist Realism is a good thing. But tell me, do you really think that she is going to make an impact at the most opulent gala we can think of? I dunno.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't implied that she is hanging with any homophobic people, again you are misrepresenting what I'm saying. I just state that sometimes progressiveness can go wrong. And not all progressive acts are good. And I make an example of how a progressive party can do wrong trying to do the right. And I know that Capitalist Realism is a good thing. But tell me, do you really think that she is going to make an impact at the most opulent gala we can think of? I dunno.

I'm not trying to misrepresent what you are saying, I'm disagreeing that the two situations have anything in common. Maybe it won't make a huge impact, but now I know about the 15% pledge, and I didn't know about it yesterday. Who knows who she talked to at the event, and what connections were made.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The discourse around AOC accusing her of being among the rich that she is criticizing, is absolutely mind-meltingly idiotic.

I'm fairly convinced progressives will never achieve any one of their goals because of how utterly petty they are. Aimless losers devouring each other from the inside. People who care more about dunking each other on Twitter over actually achieving goals which would benefit the people they love to boast they care about.

Last edited:

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The discourse around AOC accusing her of being among the rich that she is criticizing, is absolutely mind-meltingly idiotic.

Like Jesus Christ. I'm fairly convinced progressives will never achieve any one of their goals because of how utterly petty they are. Aimless losers devouring each other from the inside.
She's not going to convince the rich fucks at the Met gala that they should be taxed, and she doesn't need to convince the public because taxing the rich is already very popular.
She need to talk to her co-workers in congress to do something about it.
And for real, go rub elbows with billionaires and celebs, have a fun nights out, like whatever, our politicians mostly hang out around rich people anyway, but I hate trying to pretend this is activism.

There were people getting arrested outside protesting this gross display of wealth inequality, she would have done more good there than inside the met.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
There's something weird going on with pants in male fashion

grIsCb4.jpg

Vibes of that awkward fitting first suit you get that your mum insists "you'll grow into".

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
She's not going to convince the rich fucks at the Met gala that they should be taxed, and she doesn't need to convince the public because taxing the rich is already very popular.
She need to talk to her co-workers in congress to do something about it.
And for real, go rub elbows with billionaires and celebs, have a fun nights out, like whatever, our politicians mostly hang out around rich people anyway, but I hate trying to pretend this is activism.

There were people getting arrested outside protesting this gross display of wealth inequality, she would have done more good there than inside the met.
She should work with people in congress (as if she's not already doing that) and also she should go get arrested?

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
You're not truly progressing the progressive agenda if you don't actively find every avenue to suffer like the proletariat.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
She should work with people in congress (as if she's not already doing that) and also she should go get arrested?
First of all, what's wrong with elected official getting arrested?
There is a long proud history of that in America.

www.theguardian.com

Sheila Jackson Lee is third Black lawmaker to be arrested during voting rights protests

Congress members Joyce Beatty and Hank Johnson were previously arrested for participating in separate demonstrations

Also, I seriously doubt a member of congress would get arrested as easily as some black protesters, and that's the point, she could actually do good there.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Americans treat their politicians like celebrities so of course they're having a moment of disagreement over AOC because some of them enjoy the spectacle and the rest of us have principles

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
Progressives don't really think of fashion as an art form, so it's no surprise to me that people are trying to put down AOC for participating in the most important fundraising event for arguably one of the most important art museums in the world.

Most of the people in attendance aren't even the huge money earners that are actually responsible for the shitty state of the world. They're actors, artists and models who are at the top of their respective fields, and most of them have incomes that pale in comparison to a billionaire or a large corporation.

Most of the people who attended the Met Gala would absolutely agree with AOC that the rich should be taxed more and made to pay, there's no awkwardness there, these are people who are exploited by powerful studios and their executives, and society at large daily. They would love to see meaningful change, asking them to give up all their money because it's more than what the average person makes is just envy. They're not the real problem, their success isn't what's destroying the world.

It's unbelievably tiring how leftist political activism has turned into simply not liking things that you don't get and see as only vain displays of wealth. Like, what, do you wish everyone would just dress in black t shirts and jeans every day and not publicly show off their success at all.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
While I think the whole thing is a little tone-deaf and clearly out of touch with the average American, I don't see what AOC is doing here as being problematic. For one, she's got a free invite as an elected official in NYC. It's not like she could convince them to somehow take the money her ticket would cost and use it for something else. On top of that, she's going to a place where everyone is flaunting their wealth and engaging in the celebrity culture machine and essentially stating the message "y'all should be taxed more". It's an appropriate venue for the message.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Progressives don't really think of fashion as an art form, so it's no surprise to me that people are trying to put down AOC for participating in one of the most important fundraising event for arguably one of the most important art museums in the world.

Most of the people in attendance aren't even the huge money earners that are actually responsible for the shitty state of the world. They're actors, artists and models who are at the top of their respective fields, and most of them have incomes that pale in comparison to a billionaire or a large corporation.

Most of the people who attended the Met Gala would absolutely agree with AOC that the rich should be taxed more and made to pay, there's no awkwardness there, these are people who are exploited by powerful studios and their executives, and society at large daily. They would love to see meaningful change, asking them to give up all their money because it's more than what the average person makes is just envy. They're not the real problem, their success isn't what's destroying the world.

It's unbelievably tiring how leftist political activism has turned into simply not liking things that you don't get and see as only vain displays of wealth. Like, what, do you wish everyone would just dress in black t shirts and jeans every day and not publicly show off their success at all.
I do think it's funny that the Met Gala is likened to some kind of gathering of the hyper-elite when 95% of the people there are just entertainers whose cumulative net worth is less than what Jeff Bezos makes in a month.

Even Rhianna and Kim Kardashian (both billionaires) don't get a spot on the Forbes 400. And everyone on this website is technically closer to them in wealth than they are too the poorest people on that list.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love how the litmus test here is defending politicians right to go to rich people parties. Its actually quite fascinating. Because that's all that's happening.

Progressivism and Leftism are meaningless terms. Its for people with underdeveloped and contradictory politics to get upset that people who have actually done the thinking call shit out. "uwuu she was raising monies" "uwuu she was making connections" you sound like children justifying fairytales

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love how the litmus test here is defending politicians right to go to rich people parties. Its actually quite fascinating. Because that's all that's happening.

Progressivism and Leftism are meaningless terms. Its for people with underdeveloped and contradictory politics to get upset that people who have actually done the thinking call shit out. "uwuu she was raising monies" "uwuu she was making connections" you sound like children justifying fairytales

Hey, we should be grateful at least someone is willing to make the sacrifice and go hangout with a bunch of a celebrities at a party for the ultra-rich.
Thank you for your service.
It must be hard, just came back from a month of vacation too.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, definitely insulting people rather than discussing with them is a sure fire winner, please keep that up.

Also love how crusty old white people go to a hundred exclusive events a year that cost a hell of a lot more, and yet weirdly enough the one event that's known for really showcasing Black and people of colour's art and presence and it's Black and people of colour who get attacked for their "hypocrisy".

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, definitely insulting people rather than discussing with them is a sure fire winner, please keep that up.

Also love how crusty old white people go to a hundred exclusive events a year that cost a hell of a lot more, and yet weirdly enough the one event that's known for really showcasing Black and people of colour's art and presence and it's Black and people of colour who get attacked for their "hypocrisy".

I'm black. And I dont care. What now? She's an elected member of congress and she had people who could possibly be her own constituents getting arrested right outside. This shit is smoke and mirrors and you do nothing but protect the status quo by thinking she was doing anything meaningful at all.

Oct 25, 2017

Hey, we should be grateful at least someone is willing to make the sacrifice and go hangout with a bunch of a celebrities at a party for the ultra-rich.
Thank you for your service.
It must be hard, just came back from a month of vacation too.

When she quits politics I'll know why. Hope everyone is happier with whoever replaces her.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

This is not what the met gala is known for, they just do that type of shit as PR because that museum had A TON of stolen artifacts from Africa.
And it still have some.

When she quits politics I'll know why. Hope everyone is happier with whoever replaces her.
What is this mindset even?
It's okay to criticize elected officials when they do something bad, it's more than okay, it's required for Democracy to function.

Oct 25, 2017
This is not what the met gala is known for, they just do that type of shit as PR because that museum had A TON of stolen artifacts from Africa.
And it still have some.

What is this mindset even?
It's okay to criticize elected officials when they do something bad, it's more than okay, it's required for Democracy to function.

I'm fine with criticizing, but going to an event or two =/= dipping out for high society for the rest of her life. If it becomes a trend, and she starts neglecting her responsibilities as a legislator, that would be the time for criticism. If she starts backing bad law due to influences (bribes/donations) at those events, then call her out for it.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
All these people dressing like they are auditioning to be Capitol extras in a hunger games movie is pretty wild though.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
AOC's dress stun is a bit tone deaf and kind of cringy IMO. I think she would have made a better squash by rejecting the invitation or something but eh, not really the worst thing to ever happen as some people are acting like.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Seems more like you have problems with politics, ie, playing the game, not progressives, or progressivism.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Tax the Rich" is such a weak message for a venue like that. Shit even Bill Gates will say that. Go bigger. Even "Eat the Rich" isn't that bold of a statement in the world of 2021. "____ the Rich" would have been preferable, let the people decide.

Though to be frank what AOC did was pretty cringey. She was there to have a good time and rub elbows with rich celebrities. Maybe just be honest with everyone and do that instead of pretending you're there to make a statement (which certainly fell on deaf ears with that crowd).

rude

Oct 25, 2017
"Tax the Rich" is such a weak message for a venue like that. Shit even Bill Gates will say that. Go bigger. Even "Eat the Rich" isn't that bold of a statement in the world of 2021. "____ the Rich" would have been preferable, let the people decide.

Though to be frank what AOC did was pretty cringey. She was there to have a good time and rub elbows with rich celebrities. Maybe just be honest with everyone and do that instead of pretending you're there to make a statement (which certainly fell on deaf ears with that crowd).
idg why saying this makes a subset of posters here mad af

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I have nothing against the woman but it's most likely that she went there, ate some snacks and chilled with Billie Eyelash and nem. It reminds me of the Hasan thread, its like you can still fuck with these folks for their stances on stuff and also not think of them as beyond-human

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
Because it's easier to complain about the message on an internet forum than to actually be out there doing shit about it.

i don't think she did much with a message most of the people there agree with already. Maybe if she went to the party masked that would have made an impact (the celebrities didn't wear a mask, only the workers around them).

But anyways people are getting too heated about this stuff. I don't think it's such a big deal, just cringy but eh.