• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
TheMadTitan

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
bh has them for 78 bucks. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...2Cub03VHCUlbdffzehkAQPHHe57OmQIMaAkTkEALw_wcB

the crazy part is you dont need a switch or cloud key or gateway, you can literally plug in the AP, have it create network and plugin another one and have it join the same network. Literal enterprise grade wifi.
I'll have to consider it. Buying three is nowhere near as affordable as the price we got the Eero at, but three is still cheaper than the regular price for the Eero.

I just have to consider whether or not I should bother with that if I do decide to switch when I can get a Wifi 6 mesh. It'll cost a fortune, but it'll also last longer.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately you can't fully turn off DHCP handling on AT&T's gigabit gateways, so if I did my own network I'd be cursed with double NAT. Can't live like that.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I live in a tiny apartment but the wall between my living room where my xfinity gateway is and my bedroom is like some magical wifi barrier and it's hard to get reliable connections.

Would a Google Nest Wifi be worth getting? Does one unit alone have some super powers that allow it to produce more signal than the shitty xfinity gateway? I don't want to have to buy multiple devices for my 500-ish sqft apartment, but if I moved later on I could always expand.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I use 3 Plume superpods in a modest townhome, one per floor, and it's fast as hell. Super happy with it.

Sitting in the middle of my basement TV room, my iPhone just got 442Mbps down and 313 up on a 400Mbps FiOS circuit.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I had so many issues with my Verizon router and then a netgear router I bought. I got the google mesh system and I've had no issues. I love mine.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
We've had various threads here on it.

Mesh is great if and when you need. Not all people need they realize.

AQM is more of game changer, fixed most of my bandwitdh hog problems besides moving on to fiber.

Unfortunately you can't fully turn off DHCP handling on AT&T's gigabit gateways, so if I did my own network I'd be cursed with double NAT. Can't live like that.

or get a router that's lets you turn off the nat. I'm doing it on my customized nighthawk that runs mesh.

bionic77 what you mentioned wouldn't crush a nighthawk with aqm on stock or custom in it's current form, it's built to counter and deal with those scanerios. Only people running without aqm run in to queue problems. One reason I prize them or other routes if they are working.

OP
OP
TheMadTitan

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
so.. i need to get an internet connection to the paint shop at our building. i need to go through my office walls, 2 cinder block walls and the metal mixing room. length would be about.. 40-50 feet i think. would mesh be good for my situation? i have no way of running a cable to the mixing room, and i've tried powerline adapters with no luck.
If the powerline adapters failed, I'd try the mesh route. I pretty much gave up on powerline adapters at this point. Some would either cause electrical interference that got on my nerves while on phone calls or listening to music, or others would collapse under their own weight if more than two were being used at a time. And apparently, if you get the ones with multiple ethernet ports on them, they'll act as a powerline for things that need to be hardwired anyway. Just ran one to my desktop and it's getting the same speeds as the hardwired box in another room and faster speeds than my sister's computer on wifi.
Don't think people are sleeping on these. Just not as many people who live in larger homes that require them.
But we have several instances in this thread where people had wall induced deadzones in small homes or apartments that had their issues alleviated by mesh.
I just had to reset my old router because trying to to disable this and turn the router into a switch essentially bricked it and killed internet for the things tethered to ethernet. I'm just going to leave it alone for now; nothing is using the Belkin for wifi and everything is working. Why poke the bear?

I'll just grab a switch later if I need to.

Oct 27, 2017
They were a game changer for me. I don't even live in a big home and my wifi was giving really fucking crappy signals everywhere that wasn't my bedroom.

I put in 3 Google Wifi nodes and now I get 100mbps everywhere in the house, no matter where I am. I was getting like 4-6mbps at the front of the house when i was just relying on the one wireless router.

Could you post a link to these things please? I have some awful signal in my house but have never heard of this product.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I've found Mesh Access Points don't really scale that well. I have 12 in my 15,000sqft house and I'm still getting pretty shoddy reception by the indoor pool. I'd add a 13th but the interference from the solid gold statues might make it not worth it :/

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Big fan of the Google Wi-Fi mesh we have here. Have the previous model with the main puck and two additional satellites, and love it.

House isn't big but even with our previous router (Buffalo Airstation N something) there were still a few spots where the signal strength was flakey. This was especially apparent on my Chromecast and PS4 which were the two furthest devices from the router. It also didn't handle our growing number of devices all that well. And the ever growing need to restart the damn thing got tiring.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I grabbed Google Wifi about this time last year and it legit changed everything at home. My room in our apartment was pretty far from the router, so even just streaming netflix was rough sometimes.

Adding a mesh router to the room that I could directly plug into (and another about midway between it and the main router) makes it so I can keep using my home network when I'm a couple doors down at a neighbor's crib, much less anywhere in the apartment.

OP
OP
TheMadTitan

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Nah most mesh systems are too focused on wifi I need my lan ports.
Grab a switch. And I just turned one of the mesh hubs into a powerline adapter for two devices and it seems to be working well enough. You have your cat6 for things that need it, and wifi that doesn't suck for all of your wireless stuff.

The more I play with it, the more I wouldn't 100% recommend the Eero to anyone. Thing doesn't have VPN support. If you plan on that, I'd avoid it. NextDNS works well enough for networked adblocking, though.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Grab a switch. And I just turned one of the mesh hubs into a powerline adapter for two devices and it seems to be working well enough. You have your cat6 for things that need it, and wifi that doesn't suck for all of your wireless stuff.

The more I play with it, the more I wouldn't 100% recommend the Eero to anyone. Thing doesn't have VPN support. If you plan on that, I'd avoid it. NextDNS works well enough for networked adblocking, though.

No VPN is why I chose the Synology over Eero. It's a great feature to have.

Google GA00158-UK Wi-Fi Whole Home System, White, Pack of 3 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGN7LRP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_xI9lEb48T319N

Is this the kind of thing people are talking about? How do you set them up? My internet provider insist you use the box they provide, is that a problem? I can't replace it or I won't get internet.

You can just connect a router, the Google mesh system in this case, to the modem from your provider. If you have a modem/WiFi router combo, just disable the WiFi so you can use the Google WiFi instead. It's already better to have dedicated devices instead of combo units. If you ever have to replace or upgrade, it's much easier. Plus, the gear from providers are usually a step down from what you could purchase on your own.

In fact, I even replaced the modem my provider (Spectrum) gave me and bought my own. It's faster and I don't have to pay that dumb equipment rental fee. Maybe do some research into your provider and see if you could do the same?

Last edited:

element

Oct 27, 2017
I have Google Fiber and have TP-Link mesh with weird backhaul in my apt. It is overkill, but my building is mostly concrete and metal, so signal strength ends up being awful.

CEHmdpq.jpg

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
I moved from an apt into a big house (3 floors) and bought 5 Tenda mesh routers.... oh boy is that shit great.
Haven't had any connection issues so far and great Wifi, even at the outer corners of my garden.

Helps that I also have CAT6 outlets in any room to use a backbone. Not sure how these things work when you only have one wired mesh router and the others connect via WLAN.

OP
OP
TheMadTitan

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I mean there's nothing stopping us from meshing the hell out of our 1br apartments (or sudios or whatever.)
And it's not like apartments and one story homes aren't prone to dead zones, either. Or maybe someone owns their own business or works at a small business with shitty wifi.

The benefits of mesh wifi don't require someone to live in a big house.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think even in smaller homes, mesh helps to mitigate attenuation. I remember before mesh tech was available, I had spotty coverage in areas in even my 1400 sq. ft. house back then.

Oct 27, 2017
No VPN is why I chose the Synology over Eero. It's a great feature to have.

You can just connect a router, the Google mesh system in this case, to the modem from your provider. If you have a modem/WiFi router combo, just disable the WiFi so you can use the Google WiFi instead. It's already better to have dedicated devices instead of combo units. If you ever have to replace or upgrade, it's much easier. Plus, the gear from providers are usually a step down from what you could purchase on your own.

In fact, I even replaced the modem my provider (Spectrum) gave me and bought my own. It's faster and I don't have to pay that dumb equipment rental fee. Maybe do some research into your provider and see if you could do the same?

My understanding of this stuff is hazy but I'm pretty sure the box I have is a combo modem /router. I definitely have to keep this box or I won't get internet. If I can just attach the Google devices to it that should be fine. They ain't cheap though, my god. I already have a WiFi extender but it's crap. I allegedly have 500Mb Internet but get less than 10 using the extender.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
Might not be the best place to ask this question and I know I'll need, at somepoint just get a mesh set up.... but I've loads spare of wifi routers just lying around.... with a combo of those and homeplugs, am I able to create wifi access points round the house, or would I need something different?

OP
OP
TheMadTitan

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
My understanding of this stuff is hazy but I'm pretty sure the box I have is a combo modem /router. I definitely have to keep this box or I won't get internet. If I can just attach the Google devices to it that should be fine. They ain't cheap though, my god. I already have a WiFi extender but it's crap. I allegedly have 500Mb Internet but get less than 10 using the extender.
Did your ISP tell you that? Because that definitely isn't true. Any off the shelf modem and router will supply you with internet when plugged in your home. If that weren't the case, then there wouldn't be a market for routers and modems and this thread wouldn't exist.

Even without having a crappy extender, your speeds are being hindered by having a shitty ISP provided router, not to mention that modem/router combos --those from ISPs specifically-- tend to be extra horrible. Hell, you buying the Belkin router I mention in my OP and something like this modem would do enough to boost your speed and signal range. Grab the used one and that's roughly $60 for superior than what you're paying $5 a month to rent from your ISP.

Oct 27, 2017
Did your ISP tell you that? Because that definitely isn't true. Any off the shelf modem and router will supply you with internet when plugged in your home. If that weren't the case, then there wouldn't be a market for routers and modems and this thread wouldn't exist.

Even without having a crappy extender, your speeds are being hindered by having a shitty ISP provided router, not to mention that modem/router combos --those from ISPs specifically-- tend to be extra horrible. Hell, you buying the Belkin router I mention in my OP and something like this modem would do enough to boost your speed and signal range. Grab the used one and that's roughly $60 for superior than what you're paying $5 a month to rent from your ISP.

It is true. I'm in Ireland, my ISP is Virgin Media, feel free to look it up. I don't rent the equipment either, I can't send it back and it won't save me any money.

But I will switch it to modem mode anyway and buy some new equipment as you suggest because that definitely seems like it'll help.

Annatar86

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Maybe I'm missing the point, but what happened to good old ethernet cables? Can you provide screenshots of the performance with one of those, OP? It would be interesting to see how much you were bottlenecking yourself.

Unless you are a big family with a lot of connected devices streaming different things I don't see the purpose, but I guess it's nice compromise for things that work on both options (laptops, TVs).

OP
OP
TheMadTitan

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
It is true. I'm in Ireland, my ISP is Virgin Media, feel free to look it up. I don't rent the equipment either, I can't send it back and it won't save me any money.

But I will switch it to modem mode anyway and buy some new equipment as you suggest because that definitely seems like it'll help.
I've only read a bit so far, but I fail to understand how simply using your own modem wouldn't work for this one specific ISP, but all signs point to you putting it into modem mode and grabbing your own router to be a better course of action.

What are LAN throughput speeds/latency etc like on these things though?
My dumbass didn't bother to test LAN speeds before setting it up, so I can't get a solid comparison. But they're roughly 320 megabits per second wired. Wifi is roughly 100-150 Mbps slower in the areas that weren't practically black holes before.

Maybe I'm missing the point, but what happened to good old ethernet cables? Can you provide screenshots of the performance with one of those, OP? It would be interesting to see how much you were bottlenecking yourself.

Unless you are a big family with a lot of connected devices streaming different things I don't see the purpose, but I guess it's nice compromise for things that work on both options (laptops, TVs).
As stated above, I spaced on testing LAN since the goal was primarily to curb inconsistent connections due to shitty powerline adapters being shitty for wired devices and removing dead zones/poor reception areas with wifi. The ridiculous wifi speed boosts were a bonus.

fivestarman

Oct 28, 2017
I picked up a master and one slave unit of the Netgear Orbi when they were on offer at Amazon, I really cant fault them. My ISP router had to come in at the bottom right of the house and it was near impossible to get signal in the bedroom at the far left of the house. I have an Orbi on each floor, no more dead spots!

Gabriel

Oct 25, 2017
Netgear Orbi w/ 2 satellites. Replaced an Asus RT-AC66u that left dead spots everywhere including where I normally sit to watch TV. Now I finally have a strong signal everywhere in the house - I just wish I'd bought these earlier.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been thking a lot about installing a mesh network. Internet provider keeps updating the speed but the router signal only gets worse with new equipment, I tried to explain this to them but they must think everyone is near the fucking router or something.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've only read a bit so far, but I fail to understand how simply using your own modem wouldn't work for this one specific ISP, but all signs point to you putting it into modem mode and grabbing your own router to be a better course of action.

Virgin Media don't allow you to connect any random modem to your network to replace their own, you have to use theirs otherwise it won't receive the authentication it needs to receive a signal. As said the option is basically putting the combined router/modem into modem mode only and jumping everything else from there, my setup is pretty much VM Router (modem mode) > USG Pro > Switch > APs.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have Google Wifi and I love it. Wifi was absolutely shit throughout the house before I it with multiple networks and dead zones everywhere. However that ten-fold jump in speeds in your example suggests something was before. It's not that good.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Virgin Media don't allow you to connect any random modem to your network to replace their own, you have to use theirs otherwise it won't receive the authentication it needs to receive a signal. As said the option is basically putting the combined router/modem into modem mode only and jumping everything else from there, my setup is pretty much VM Router (modem mode) > USG Pro > Switch > APs.

Yeah I have Virgin and whilst I can't remember the details I ended up putting it in modem mode and then on to Google Wifi. Only issue is that I can't get my NAT off moderate in Call of Duty

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate my house for having a bit convulated layout in two floors and concrete + steel doesn't exactly help with the signal. Mesh makes things a bit easier, but I still have rooms with lousy or no connection. I hate the guy who built it for cheaping out on decent ethernet wiring.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
Ubiquiti Unifi, not point in even discussing anything else.

This man knows. I set up my home with a Unifi AP HD as an overkill measure because I was tired with my wireless connection getting awful signal. Now I can even have it hidden inside a dropped ceiling.

Must be nice to live in a castle, Era.

My place is small, but being 2 floors I had awful signal upstairs. Concrete and metal beams are not friendly to wifi.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Need advice : I live in a house and downstairs connection to my Netgear 3200 router (R8000) is spotty at best. I'd get a google mesh in a heartbeat if it supported my desktop USB drive. Currently I have that plugged in to my Netgear and it allows me have both DLNA and drive access for kodi to stream my media... I am it familiar with NAS much so are there any way i can easily do that setup with google mesh?

Couchpotato

Nov 7, 2018
Also need advice: I live in a 3 story concrete complex, and our single dual modem router just can't reach past a certain limited point (directly adjacent to the room with the router). We tried wireless relayers and powerline adapters to no avail. Would mesh help with concrete, or is it just adding more noise?