• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to share that I know what it's like to feel overwhelmed with how sad and terrible life can feel when you're depressed and anxious. This year I was diagnosed with severe PTSD, severe anxiety and severe depression as a result of some traumas I experienced in the last year. However I have had generalized anxiety disorder for the last 10 years and mild to moderate depression for the last 18 years that have been chronic and difficult to manage over the years with on and off CBT therapy and trying some of the classic antidepressants (Lexapro and Zoloft). Things got unbearable in the last year with my updated diagnoses.

I could no longer recognize myself. I would cry and panic when hearing certain lines of dialogue in movies or games. I would zoom out and have a panic attack if I saw something triggering on the street. I was physically incapable of being optimistic. I was spiraling every day into dark despair. I couldn't bear to continue living life the way it was. It was a dark time in my life. It has been. Lots of change and trauma and grief. I didn't think I would make it this far.

I see lots of mental anguish and suicidal threads here and it almost always appears to be someone who hasn't figured out the right combination of medication and therapy for themselves. I also see bad advice here like discouraging people from seeing their doctors. So I want to encourage you to be brave and keep trying!

I'm happy to say that after 2 years of psychiatric medication trial and error I've finally found the right dosage and combination of meds for me. It took me so long. I wanted to give up, but what choice did I have? It was either be so miserable that life passes me by, or keep trying to find the right treatment for me ASAP. This included finding the right therapist and doctor for me, and unfortunately (but necessarily) sorting through many that were not the right ones for me.

I finally found a trauma therapist (after interviewing several therapists) and started EMDR therapy (I've done a few years of CBT already). I'm getting some freedom from my demons I have been waiting for and I'm learning a lot.

Most importantly though is I got the RIGHT BALANCE of medications after seeing different psychiatrists, trying different meds, and going through several different medication combinations. For those of you out there with depression or anxiety living in daily anguish, do not give up hope! Psychiatric medications affect everyone differently and you might need a blend of different ones! I take mirtazapine + buspar + abilify and for the first time in years I feel...happy. I feel calm. I feel stable. I feel capable of excelling at my job. I feel optimistic about the future.

You have no idea how badly depressed you are and how used to it you have gotten until you finally find the medication that switches your brain into a proper functioning state. Listen! Suicidal thoughts are not your fault and they are lies being told to you by a hurting brain! Do not repay your hurting brain with a permanent solution that will not help. Advocate for your own health and see a psychiatrist! Try a med! If it doesn't work, ask for a new one! Keep trying! If the psychiatrist runs out of ideas, find a new one! Get a new referral! It can take years but you owe it to yourself to wait for the chance to be happy. What other choice do you have? If you don't keep trying, you will never have the chance to be happy again!

Anyway, to recap. For the first time in a long time, my brain is able to feel happy again, and I feel like I can get back to living. Please give living a chance! See a therapist and psychiatrist ASAP if you have unresolved mental illness! Even if you don't believe medication can help you, what does it hurt to get a professional opinion/advice? This is their expertise. Give it a shot!

Disclaimer: this is a very privileged post and I recognize that mental healthcare access in the USA is terrible and costly. To those that can't afford a psychiatrist, I am so sorry. Please try to find community health options in your area that connect you with affordable psychiatry.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
User banned (1 day): inappropriate drive-by in a sensitive thread

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
It's a very good thing to be promoting for sure and I hope people do keep trying.

feelings on my own situation that will come across as negative
However its very different for everyone and personally after a few decades of trying pretty much everything its become clear there's no way out of it. Just had to accept that every day will be a struggle to get through and eventually something will tip the scales in a bad way. Even if they developed substantial new treatment, the situation im in even outside of health problems is perfectly expected to make anyone feel like absolute shit.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
It's a very good thing to be promoting for sure and I hope people do keep trying.

feelings on my own situation that will come across as negative
However its very different for everyone and personally after a few decades of trying pretty much everything its become clear there's no way out of it. Just had to accept that every day will be a struggle to get through and eventually something will tip the scales in a bad way. Even if they developed substantial new treatment, the situation im in even outside of health problems is perfectly expected to make anyone feel like absolute shit.

Whats going on? Or is this something you've discussed in another thread you can link me to?

CielYoshi

May 10, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Man, I wish I could afford a good psychiatrist, but those aren't cheap, and the one I'm visiting now straight up told me she didn't think I could be helped, so here's some meds to stop suicidal ideation (Warning: side effects of this medication may include suicidal ideation). So, uh, thanks I guess?

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Well, it's been almost five weeks since my mental breakdown. During the time I made a post on era, right when I was in the middle of my breakdown. I haven't posted since because to be truthful, I'm ashamed I even posted it. I was ashamed of what I had become. How I let the aniexity and depression get the best of me and almost destroy my 13 year relationship. I couldn't even look at the replies I had and have ghosted this site since.

I was, and still am, struggling with depression and anxiety. There were many factors going back decades, but the thing that broke me was my wife's reaction to it. At first she was understanding, but then did a 180.

Early August it started. I'd been signed off work for a long time and she went to the gym. She told me she was going with her best friend, who I'm also friends with. Myself and her friends boyfriend have this running joke that these girls pay for a gym membership but hardly ever go, so when she went I messaged him on WhatsApp to say I couldn't believe they went. He replied with the laughing emoji and that was that. I thought they went.

When she came back she told me that she didn't go with her friend. Instead she went with this guy 17 years younger than her that she works with. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, but this guy is constantly flirting with her on messenger. A week before this I saw her texting him saying that she's 37 and he's 20, so they would never work out. Of course knowing that he wants to get involved with her, that she has told me before how hot she thinks he is, how she always talks about him......I can't deny that it sent my aniexity into overdrive.

I was cool with it, but questioned why her friends boyfriend implied she went with her friend. At first she told me she didn't know and thought maybe her friend was cheating, but the next day shit changed.

She texted me randomly to ask if I trust her. I told her I did and asked why she is asking me. She said that she had spoken to her friend and her friend thinks I was texting the boyfriend to "check in" and make sure she went to the gym ( apprantly, her friends boyfriend knew his girlfriend wasn't at the gym, but was shocked that I thought they were there together and didn't know what to say). This of course wasn't my intention, but when I got home it turned into a huge row. She told me that I clearly don't trust her and started to cry. She tried to leave and go for a drive, but just spent five minutes crying in the car taking crying selfies. When she came back I asked why she was taken photos, but she never explained. She told me she just wanted to take them?

Anyway that night she told me we were splitting. She couldn't be with me. My illness was too much for her and it was too stressful.

It's been odd since then. One week she's all over me telling me she loves me, but the next few days she tells me she doesn't know if she loves me, but wants to try to make it work. She doesn't really talk about this 20 year old dude much anymore, but she still wants to go to the gym with him?!, Of course, since this was the cause of all this the first time, when she mentions she wants to go tot the gym with him I don't say anything. She take this as I'm not letting her and has said she just cancel her gym membership. I can't stop her from going, but I'm not supposed to be cool with it either. She tells me nothing happened between them, and if she wanted to leave me for him she could easily....... because that's a great thing to say with somebody with aniexity.

My heart has been ripped apart and sewed back for months. In August we went away as a family for two weeks and it was amazing. I felt the love then. She told me she loved me all through that holiday, but since then it's been "I do love you" to "I'm not sure if I love you". There was also a time a few weeks ago where I was in hospital for something unrelated and then I had a flood of messages telling me how much she loved me.

Sorry for the novel, but I had to get this off my chest. I love her unconditionally, but to be truthful I'm not sure why. How can you love somebody who doesn't love you back, or keeps changing their mind on a almost daily basis. I'm not even sure if she cheated on me. That's on the back of my mind constantly.

Time will tell, but anyway, just wanted to say that I'm coming to terms with everything. I'll be fine if I can sort this relationship nightmare out.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I added a bit more to my OP.

Well, it's been almost five weeks since my mental breakdown. During the time I made a post on era, right when I was in the middle of my breakdown. I haven't posted since because to be truthful, I'm ashamed I even posted it. I was ashamed of what I had become. How I let the aniexity and depression get the best of me and almost destroy my 13 year relationship. I couldn't even look at the replies I had and have ghosted this site since.

I was, and still am, struggling with depression and anxiety. There were many factors going back decades, but the thing that broke me was my wife's reaction to it. At first she was understanding, but then did a 180.

Early August it started. I'd been signed off work for a long time and she went to the gym. She told me she was going with her best friend, who I'm also friends with. Myself and her friends boyfriend have this running joke that these girls pay for a gym membership but hardly ever go, so when she went I messaged him on WhatsApp to say I couldn't believe they went. He replied with the laughing emoji and that was that. I thought they went.

When she came back she told me that she didn't go with her friend. Instead she went with this guy 17 years younger than her that she works with. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, but this guy is constantly flirting with her on messenger. A week before this I saw her texting him saying that she's 37 and he's 20, so they would never work out. Of course knowing that he wants to get involved with her, that she has told me before how hot she thinks he is, how she always talks about him......I can't deny that it sent my aniexity into overdrive.

I was cool with it, but questioned why her friends boyfriend implied she went with her friend. At first she told me she didn't know and thought maybe her friend was cheating, but the next day shit changed.

She texted me randomly to ask if I trust her. I told her I did and asked why she is asking me. She said that she had spoken to her friend and her friend thinks I was texting the boyfriend to "check in" and make sure she went to the gym ( apprantly, her friends boyfriend knew his girlfriend wasn't at the gym, but was shocked that I thought they were there together and didn't know what to say). This of course wasn't my intention, but when I got home it turned into a huge row. She told me that I clearly don't trust her and started to cry. She tried to leave and go for a drive, but just spent five minutes crying in the car taking crying selfies. When she came back I asked why she was taken photos, but she never explained. She told me she just wanted to take them?

Anyway that night she told me we were splitting. She couldn't be with me. My illness was too much for her and it was too stressful.

It's been odd since then. One week she's all over me telling me she loves me, but the next few days she tells me she doesn't know if she loves me, but wants to try to make it work. She doesn't really talk about this 20 year old dude much anymore, but she still wants to go to the gym with him?!, Of course, since this was the cause of all this the first time, when she mentions she wants to go tot the gym with him I don't say anything. She take this as I'm not letting her and has said she just cancel her gym membership. I can't stop her from going, but I'm not supposed to be cool with it either. She tells me nothing happened between them, and if she wanted to leave me for him she could easily....... because that's a great thing to say with somebody with aniexity.

My heart has been ripped apart and sewed back for months. In August we went away as a family for two weeks and it was amazing. I felt the love then. She told me she loved me all through that holiday, but since then it's been "I do love you" to "I'm not sure if I love you". There was also a time a few weeks ago where I was in hospital for something unrelated and then I had a flood of messages telling me how much she loved me.

Sorry for the novel, but I had to get this off my chest. I love her unconditionally, but to be truthful I'm not sure why. How can you love somebody who doesn't love you back, or keeps changing their mind on a almost daily basis. I'm not even sure if she cheated on me. That's on the back of my mind constantly.

Time will tell, but anyway, just wanted to say that I'm coming to terms with everything. I'll be fine if I can sort this relationship nightmare out.

I am so sorry this is happening to you. Yes mental illness is difficult for a partner to handle but there are lots of healthy ways to manage it and your partner is being extremely volatile and unfair to you. You didn't choose your illness, but her choices are hurting both of you. I think in this time you should focus on taking care of yourself. Again, sorry you're experiencing this.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I wish I could afford a good psychiatrist, but those aren't cheap, and the one I'm visiting now straight up told me she didn't think I could be helped, so here's some meds to stop suicidal ideation (Warning: side effects of this medication may include suicidal ideation). So, uh, thanks I guess?

Many psychiatric meds have that disclaimer. The risk of mine (abilify) is developing neurological twitches someday in the future. I don't care though because I'd rather have some kind of future where I'm happy.

Anyway, do you have health insurance? Sometimes psychiatrists don't want to deal with patients outside their focus area and they can be harshly blunt if they don't feel you're a good match for them. Don't let that stop you or give up! If you aren't afraid, feel free to PM me your info and I can help you find a doctor in your network. Otherwise google community health services in your area or try finding a new family care doctor to manage your meds.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for this thread. I'm not severely depressed, but have been feeling down lately and it's nice to hear from someone who has a success story.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been through the gamut of medications and therapy, and I had nothing but failures. Eventually I found a REALLY good therapist, and with his help I finally found some solace with my mental health issues.

Here are the key things that work for me:

- No medications specifically for mental health. I honestly tried over 30 and they only gave me severe side effects. I find being on no medication is actually more manageable for me.
- Lifting weights. This completely changed my day to day mood and on days I lift any depression is literally gone. I was driving home a couple weeks ago after hitting a huge single rep deadlift and actually had the (admittedly ridiculous) thought "man I really don't want to die right now" which is a far cry from where I've been in life.
- Testosterone replacement therapy. My test levels were low, but no doctor would prescribe TRT, despite the fact that I had every symptom. I decided to find a doctor who would take a chance on it and it turns out it completely changed my life. TRT combined with lifting is the first time I felt something actually work, and it's mind blowing.

I'm still working on other issues (near daily migraines), but overall my mental health is the best it's been in years. I'm 33 and was diagnosed with depression, anxiety, and OCD when I was a teenager, and it was hell at times. At its zenith I nearly killed myself. I NEVER thought it would get better, but I never truly gave up trying.

So essentially I fully agree with you OP. Don't give up on the search for a solution.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I've been through the gamut of medications and therapy, and I had nothing but failures. Eventually I found a REALLY good therapist, and with his help I finally found some solace with my mental health issues.

Here are the key things that work for me:

- No medications specifically for mental health. I honestly tried over 30 and they only gave me severe side effects. I find being on no medication is actually more manageable for me.
- Lifting weights. This completely changed my day to day mood and on days I lift any depression is literally gone. I was driving home a couple weeks ago after hitting a huge single rep deadlift and actually had the (admittedly ridiculous) thought "man I really don't want to die right now" which is a far cry from where I've been in life.
- Testosterone replacement therapy. My test levels were low, but no doctor would prescribe TRT, despite the fact that I had every symptom. I decided to find a doctor who would take a chance on it and it turns out it completely changed my life. TRT combined with lifting is the first time I felt something actually work, and it's mind blowing.

I'm still working on other issues (near daily migraines), but overall my mental health is the best it's been in years. I'm 33 and was diagnosed with depression, anxiety, and OCD when I was a teenager, and it was hell at times. At its zenith I nearly killed myself. I NEVER thought it would get better, but I never truly gave up trying.

So essentially I fully agree with you OP. Don't give up on the search for a solution.

Good for you. Exercise can actually correct depression chemical imbalances in the brain, and I'm sure your hormonal imbalance was difficult to deal with. Glad you found a solution! When your chemistry is working properly, it's amazing how different you can feel about life and the future!

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I added a bit more to my OP.

I am so sorry this is happening to you. Yes mental illness is difficult for a partner to handle but there are lots of healthy ways to manage it and your partner is being extremely volatile and unfair to you. You didn't choose your illness, but her choices are hurting both of you. I think in this time you should focus on taking care of yourself. Again, sorry you're experiencing this.

Thanks.

I'm trying, but I feel I need to fix my relationship before I get better. Problem is, my illness is what is causing problems with my relationship, so I'm stuck in an endless cycle.

I'm just tired of fighting this illness and trying to fight for her. She's so hot and cold at the moment and it's a huge shock because she hasn't been like this before. One day she loves me and texts that she misses me, but the next day she's unsure if she loves me and wants to take "baby steps".

She told me yesterday that my illness brought so many problems into our family. I didn't know how to react to that. I just apologsed and walked upstairs. She followed me and apologised, but I just don't know what to think at the moment. I know she is very tired of having to see me suffer and just wants the "old" me back, but it's not easy and I can't just snap out of it.

I really am pathetic in this situation. I should just grow a pair and tell her that she needs to make a choice: either she loves me and wants to stay with me or she doesn't and wants to really fuck this 20 year old kid.......but I don't have the balls. Instead I just sit her and have my heart ripped open and sewed back shut on a almost daily basis.

FML.