• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 17, 2017
That doesn't even seem that much tbh
That's the joke. It's from One Punch Man, the main character is absurdly powerful and everyone wants to know how he got so strong. When he reveals how, they're like "but that's not even special."

It's like when a person with a degree in mathematics comes into a math thread in order to tell everyone how easy integral calculus is. Just betrays a wild lack of perspective and humility.
For real. I'm especially rolling my eyes at the people who are like "if you can't do 40 push-ups then you've got some problems." It's like that mathematician doubting you could get through life without those calculus skills.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
I maxed out at 105 in one set before. That was during a time when my main excercize was strictly doing high reps of push up. I can still manage 60 or so easily.

Now my main focus are pull ups.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you think that's rough. Try doing 20 pull ups

20 crossfit pullups, cakewalk. Kip your way to success.
3ZhlaqN.gif

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
I'd be interested in knowing their metric for form. We talking full stop, chest grazing the ground, or this silliness?

Wait..wait.. wait how are those pushups?? If I was doing what he was doing I'd easily get to 100.

So I only got to 31 on my first try, but I just ate some garbage I picked up from Jack in the Box so...I won't be counting those. I'll try again in an hour.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I can do 40, but my cardiologist just told me a couple weeks ago to STOP doing pushups. I have an enlarged aortic root valve (from a congenital heart defect) and pushups can enlarge it. Guess I'm dead.
I can do 40 with my eyes closed.
I tried this once and rammed my face into the ground so this is quite an undertaking tbh.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I mean this is more about the fact that being able to do less than ten push-ups, barring physical disability, is a marker of other factors of extremely poor health (probably weight) than the amazing benefits of doing 40.

It's like an article saying "People who weigh less than 150 pounds have 99.9999% reduced risk of heart failure compared to people who weigh 600 pounds or more!" Like, thanks for the non-news.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
I need to do more push-ups. Ran two marathons in the past two months, but have a obstacle course (similar to Tough Mudder) to run next month.

ScandiNavy

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Norway
It helps to be small.

Honestly though, it's not that big of a deal. 30 is enough imo. You're good. If you want to do more for whatever reason just practice.

At the end of the day being able to do mad push ups (like 40+) is pretty pointless imo, unless you're a gymnast, boxer, military, etc. I say this as someone who could always do mad push ups. I'm the only one in my friend group who can do pistol squats (bodyweight squats on one leg), yet in terms of raw strength I'm prolly the weakest.
Well, when I haven't done them for years, I'll typically max out at 15, sometimes more, or less.
But 30 is like a wall, for me, even after several weeks of practice. The lactate just floods the system.

I build muscle quite fast, so there's that.

Pistol squats. Do you support yourself, or do you just have very good balance?

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
Well, when I haven't done them for years, I'll typically max out at 15, sometimes more, or less.
But 30 is like a wall, for me, even after several weeks of practice. The lactate just floods the system.

I build muscle quite fast, so there's that.

Pistol squats. Do you support yourself, or do you just have very good balance?

If you can get to 30 with good form then you're good imo, especially if you can build muscle fast in other ways.

As for pistol squats, I don't support myself, so I guess I have good balance.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Over summer, I started working out again.. could hardly do 10 or 15 total.. was really disappointed as I used to be able to just pump them out. Started working at it every day, now I'm up to 40 reps/4sets. Also working in 200ish crunchies. Hoping getting in the habit of doing home exercises is going to improve/maintain my health in the long run.
I maxed out at 105 in one set before. That was during a time when my main excercize was strictly doing high reps of push up. I can still manage 60 or so easily.

Now my main focus are pull ups.
You can do 100 without resting? That's a crazy amount.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Over summer, I started working out again.. could hardly do 10 or 15 total.. was really disappointed as I used to be able to just pump them out. Started working at it every day, now I'm up to 40 reps/4sets. Also working in 200ish crunchies. Hoping getting in the habit of doing home exercises is going to improve/maintain my health in the long run.

You can do 100 without resting? That's a crazy amount.
During that time period yes i did over 100 maybe a handful of times times. It was just one of those days, but usually it was 80-90 consistently.

However high reps are bad for the joints so i scaled it down and started doing slower more meaningful push-up.

Now i just shoot for 40 with my feet on the couch and hands on the floor.

Last edited:

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you work out pretty consistently over the course of a year you should be able to do this, although this depends on where you are starting out.

I used to be able to do these pretty easily, but with the torn ligament in my hand I don't even risk putting that my pressure on it anymore.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
People who say 40 is easy are full of shit. But then again this is the internet.
When I started doing push ups I could barely do 6 straight and could only do more after several days.

Now I do 4 sets of 70 every other day. Tne only problem is that this is pretty much the only exercise I do in my life.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After losing a bunch of weight, I finally tried doing a proper pushup and... I managed to do 7 with relative ease. I had never been able to do a proper pushup before in my life.

Now I'll aim for 40. :)

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
40 isn't a problem for me, but I also work out on the reg.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I see it as basic hygiene like brushing my teeth and showering. Its been something I've done since freshmen year in high school. Ive always beem more of a cardio focused and never messed with weights until recently so i never really had a gym membership but push ups, sit ups, and running were my thing. That basic physical fitness should be a routine in every able bodied person's life is my context. Maybe not 40 though.

That's exactly my point! Your routine is not 'normal' lol. It's good, but most people don't do anywhere near that.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Tried just now, my arms gave out around 35, and the last 5+ were probably not full pushups. I'm not overweight, but I am out of shape, and have never been much for working out.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Welp. Just tried. Failed at 28. I'm not fat either (M 5'10" 130 pounds). Just really weak. :(
I've been working on trying to get stronger arms by doing a set of 15 push ups 4-5 times a day but it isn't helping.
What do?

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea how many I can do but 40 sounds like a lot haha. I'm in "okay" shape, lots of walking, hiking and yoga and my weight is solid, I can plank well... but never really do pushups.