• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say you don't really need to do high reps work outs, just go heavier, it's more efficient. High reps will feel like nothing later on.
Isn't this categorically false? Hypertrophy training also can increase your strength. Both is best I hear?

Fitness era what say you?

Feb 10, 2018
It does not prove that better muscular endurance is better for cardiac health, but ppl who can do 40 push ups are less likely to be overweight, likely to do other exercise and watch there diet.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Another worthless study with little to know basis or evidence to support it.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
I'm pretty sure I can push at least 60+ in one go easily. I train a lot though.

If you're fairly small 40 shouldn't be too difficult with some training. Bigger gym dudes will struggle though.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last time I did a lot of push ups and never broke a sweat was a 100 of them in middle school.

I think I could do 40 now, but God damn am I out of shape and fat. I will be sweating and taking my good ass time getting to 40.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
people in this thread saying 40 pushups straight is easy but they been hitting the gym lol. Some of ya'll need CONTEXT in your life.

Take someone that doesn't have a gym membership, even if they look fit, and see if they can reach 40.
I see it as basic hygiene like brushing my teeth and showering. Its been something I've done since freshmen year in high school. Ive always beem more of a cardio focused and never messed with weights until recently so i never really had a gym membership but push ups, sit ups, and running were my thing. That basic physical fitness should be a routine in every able bodied person's life is my context. Maybe not 40 though.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Just dropped and gave the thread 40.

The last 5 were shaky, but I haven't been exercising the way I should be.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Doing 40 push-ups doesn't come down to strictly "being in shape". You can visit the gym and focus on building size and still lack the strength to do 40 push-ups. Endurance and strength aren't always linked. I had a friend that looked to be in great shape but couldn't do 15 push-ups or 10 pull-ups. He focused on muscle mass and appearance.

You can condition yourself to doing 40 push-ups in less than a month. It's not difficult if you commit to building up to it. Start slow and increase the number a little bit every other day. Do 10 push-ups on Monday/Tuesday, Wednesday off, and then 15 on Thurs/Friday. You'll get to 40 within 30 days.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Gases you? Sounds kinky.

Still - not bad even as you say it. I really only started working out again 3 years ago and saw massive increases in those kinda things rather quickly. Lack of time though has made me stagnate for the last 1,5 years. Still healthy though!

This thread is just one illinformed upload away from shirtless pics of everyone on ResetEra. We can do it!
Hmmm, im not gonna start, if ur brave enough, go ahead lol.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty fit and I still find 40 consecutive to be kind of a challenge. I don't think this is as easy as it sounds on the surface, but it's a great goal to strive for.

With consistency and strength training it's definitely achievable if you're doing a little more each time.

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton
I always get tired around the 20 mark, but in sets I could probably get to 100.
Even back when I played tennis/exercised almost daily, most I could do in one set was like 30 something.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
At least I still have socioeconomic status results on my side vs cardiovascular disease. I think if I could also do 40 pushups I would become immortal, and nobody wants that.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
I just did 17 real push ups to failure.

waited one minute, then cranked out 50 fake push ups. So yeah I guess it's easy depending on how you do it.

..but still, time to hit the gym.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
I remember being able to knock out 80 in two minutes in the Army. I could probably do 25 in a minute now.

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Isn't this categorically false? Hypertrophy training also can increase your strength. Both is best I hear?

Talking specifically about pushups, I always experienced best results by keeping my reps at 20, and adding weight (45 on my upper back). Once you can do 3 sets of 20 with 70lbs of weight, your body weight pushups will be crazy.

In general weight training, I've found that high weight/low reps and low weight/high reps (15-20) are simply different roads to similar results.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Yikes. I guess I'll have a heart attack soon. I can do 20-25 no problem but 40 would be a struggle and my arms would fall off after.

Oct 26, 2017
California
Round is a shape

I just tried it, I've gained a lot of weight recently and I'm in shit shape, I only got to 15, this is def a wake-up call for me, even a year ago I would have done way better. Pushups are one of those things though where it's easy to build up how many you can do in fairly short order if you're dedicated to doing so.
Early on, 15-30 yeah. After 30, though, the plateau effect is real!

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that range of motion is pretty tiny, isn't it? Like... does that do much? I was always told to go for full range of motion.

I'd bet that's the ROM that 95% of the posters in this thread hit. If you go to 1:16 in the same video you can see the PTL demonstrating the way you're supposed to be doing them. Most PT tests now are administered by having two test takers buddy up, count for each other, and report their numbers to the PTL. So what happens is you have people breaking form and still getting credit, because you don't want to screw your buddy over.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I would say they are awful, but what do I know
That's what I thought. I can't imagine what 44 good ones in a minute would look like, that's why I was asking in the first place.

I'd bet that's the ROM that 95% of the posters in this thread hit. If you go to 1:16 in the same video you can see the PTL demonstrating the way you're supposed to be doing them. Most PT tests now are administered by having two test takers buddy up, count for each other, and report their numbers to the PTL. So what happens is you have people breaking form and still getting credit, because you don't want to screw your buddy over.
Makes sense.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017

Sorry, I wasn't very precise. I was talking about strength trainning (be it 5 rep max or 8-12 rep hypertrophy) as opposed to trying to do as many as push ups as possible.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I'm relieved the cutoff is 40, because that's about my limit these days. I'm getting old. Everything is harder than it used to be. But at least I'm all wise now.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Yeah there is a lot of fudging the numbers going on in PRTs, but most people don't care about it too much because while it is easy to cheat the push ups and sit ups, you can't really cheat the mile and a half run. And if you can't pass the run you clearly couldn't pass the push ups and sit ups either.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Before I stopped doing them daily, I was at 35. Honestly, getting to 40 is not easy. My weight hasn't changed since high school so it's not like I'm out of shape either.

igordennis

Oct 25, 2017

People saying it's easy are either in the 1% of people that are very fit or they haven't ever seen a proper push-up like shown in this video. Given the statiscally unlikely scenario of this amount of people in this forum being part of that 1%, i feel safe in saying most people here have no idea what they're talking about lol, especially the ones going "if you can't do it as an adult then lmao". And the legit 1% (it's probably more than 1% since 40 push ups is not some crazy impossible feat of fitness but you get the point) of people that do it with proper form know better than to say it's easy too lol. This thread is funny. I can do it but i've been working out for 8 years non stop now. And i wouldn't say it's easy.

Jersa

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA (USA)
I think you guys are focusing on the wrong half of this comparison. I think it is more to say that someone who can only do 10 push-ups is much more unhealthy than someone who has a baseline level of health demonstrated by the 40. Not if you do 40 push-ups you're some sort of athletic freak. If you can't manage 10, you likely have some sort of underlying medical condition that could be a contributing factor.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
40 consecutive pushups with correct form and no breaks is a good indicator of physical and cardiovascular fitness. So no surprise that it means less likely to have a heart attack.

Ceileachair

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's like 3% of the entire population lol. 40 proper ones is most definitely not 'easy' for 90% of people.
Definitely, it takes a lot of physical training to get to that point. When you first start basic training they give you a mock PT test to see where your at, at a physical level. Then over the course of 9 weeks they smoke you to the point of muscle failure every day, then at the end they give you your first official test and the scores are so vastly different it's like two different people

Oct 30, 2017
The Army maxes out at 75 reps.

I tried it yesterday and got it. The only break you can take is by arching your back but keeping the weight on your arms. I took a break after 55, then banged out the last 20.