• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Until recently I used to not be able to do many at all, but have been working on it over the past couple months and can do about 20.

Pushups are kind of an intimidating exercise to more casual people like myself who don't really work on upper body strength. I have an office job where I don't have to lift stuff or grapple people during the day, so it has never been an area of focus for me. Was more concerned about feeling winded when walking places or going on vacation or hikes and stuff. I would just focus on cardio activities, lost 20 lbs, and got to my desired weight from just the cardio stuff alone. But I wanted to see if I could at least get better at pushups, since I have always sucked at them from even back in high school. There's no expense involved and does work on different muscle groups.

The "problem" (from a self-esteem perspective) is that pushups are kind of humiliating when you first start out. On my first session, I was just kinda laying on my mat like a beached whale after doing a couple pushups. It felt kind of pathetic, and I am glad I did it at home where nobody could watch. The other thing is that a lot of people (like myself) are never really told how to do them properly. In high school, it was like "do pushups" during a fitness test, and I would always awkwardly fumble my way through some. Thankfully YouTube and the internet is around to catch people up. I was surprised that just sticking with it, after a few sessions, I was improving a lot more than I thought.

I'm not at an amazing place obviously and still am working on improving, but pushups shouldn't be this mystical unattainable thing. They just really really suck when you're first starting out.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Some of y'all lying your ass off lol

40 straight is not EZ cmonbruh

I think it's not that bad. If I haven't been keeping up on my recent exercise, it is a bit difficult to reach 30. But if I absolutely had to, 40 is also doable. If I have been keeping up on exercising, then it is a breeze. I only bench like 150 lbs max too. Although I do exercise a good bit using my arms (basketball, tennis).

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I usually bang out 30-40 randomly when I work chest or triceps. At that point I've been working out for a bit so I wouldn't call it "easy." If I'm fresh I can do a bunch but honestly haven't tried that in a while - maybe give it a go today.

Unless you are injured, how is 40 any difficult to an adult?

If we're talking consecutive (and legit) push-ups and the shitty fitness level of the average American, it's not just difficult - it's impossible.

this_guy

Oct 26, 2017
If you can't do 40 pushups you need to get in shape.
If you think other people are lying about being able to do 40 pushups or cheating on their form then you need to get in shape.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I used to be able to do 100 pushups in one go, but that was a goal I specifically targeted. I think now I could do about half of that if I really strained myself.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I can do 40.......but I only weight like 150 lbs at 5'10" so anything involving body weight is quite easy lol.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
40 is not easy for the average person. At all. Usually 17-20 is considered "enough" to get past basic military admission testing.
Really? 40 is easy. You just have to build up to it. I do at least 40 daily. Its been posted but whether i go to the gym or not i do an abridged version of the opm workout. You might start out managing 10 but you build up to being able to do more really really quickly.

Oct 25, 2017

Yep, this is what I do and if you can do 40 like that, I'll salute you. I feel like this thread could use a few video uploads, I don't believe half of it lol

Really? 40 is easy. You just have to build up to it. I do at least 40 daily. Its been posted but whether i go to the gym or not i do an abridged version of the opm workout. You might start out managing 10 but you build up to being able to do more really really quickly.
The average person does not "build up to it"...

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
I think some people are seriously overestimating the level of fitness of the average adult who doesn't do any physical exercise.

It's bad out there.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I do 25 x 3 reps of pushups in my routine, but that's only twice a week. 40 in a row all with good form would be tough.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I should have clarified before. don't do flat push-ups anymore but I do elevate push-ups. Not sure why I forgot I do them. For some reason my brain is on "flat surface push-ups" and nothing else. I make sure my legs are elevated, sometimes as high as 45 degrees so that I activate my upper pecs more. But I at least always do push-ups with legs elevated 10 degrees. They feel so much more satisfying.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Only 40?

thumb.jpg

I can only do like 20 at a time

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck it BRB.

Edit: Just finished, but I did one set of 25, and then another set of 15 with a 15sec break in between.
Am I doomed?

I probably could have done better, but this morning was arm day:

Bar curls @ 65lbs 8, 8, 8, 6
Dips @ Body Weight: 10, 10, 10, 10
Hammer Curls @ 35lbs: 10, 10, 10, 10

Last edited:

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Well what kind of push up are you talking about, there is no right way or weong way if doing a push up. Different pushups hit different muscle groups. Millitary focuses on bi and tri muscles, wide focuses on back and chest, staggered pushups engage the core... so what is the right way?

All that it takes is 5 minutes to search on Google and you will find a lot of results

Example: https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/5-common-push-up-mistakes-to-avoid/

Yes, there are wrong and right ways to do pushups. And also yes, there are different types of pushups that hits different muscles.

The most common mistake is opening your elbows too much. You can easily do 100+ pushups this way.

The weight of your body is retained in the elbows, so flexing your arms is very easy this way.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
That is rather impressive !
You have that god physique?
Uhhhh lol my gf thinks so lol, but she gases me.

Also chin ups are different to pull ups. Proper wide pull ups, for the past year ive been doing those weighted, so 8 reps of 3 sets with 25 pounds attached to a belt.

Before doing full weight training, i did p90x3 for like a year and a half. There is a particular vid in there called the challenge where u do an insane amount of pull ups and pushup every thursday. That surely helped.

moriquendi

Oct 27, 2017
A friend challenged me to do as many push-ups as possible daily to get back into shape. This was coming off a weight loss of 70 pounds. The idea was to do one set in the morning, and one in the evening. When I started 10 in a row was may limit. It's been close to a year and I currently do 40 morning and evening. It's "easy" to the extent that I've worked up to it over the course of most of a year.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think I've ever been able to do 40 pushups in my life. 10, maybe. I have a long way to go.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
Most people here are full of shit. Using proper form at the correct tempo, doing 40 pushups is exceedingly difficult for a vast majority. It takes a lot of work to build up to that level, unless you're a bean pole fueled by Mountain Dew Code Red.

You're all Dark Souls speedrunners telling average folks that Dark Souls is an easy game because you can beat it without getting hit.

Metallia

May 31, 2018
10 is trivial, 15 is where I begin to struggle and 20 is where I'd put my limit. I don't think I could go much beyond 20 even if I really pushed myself, before needing a short break. I want to improve on that though.

Nov 17, 2017
Well, yes, if you build up to it you can do it. But the average person can't just drop and do 40. That's the point.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Uhhhh lol my gf thinks so lol, but she gases me.

Also chin ups are different to pull ups. Proper wide pull ups, for the past year ive been doing those weighted, so 8 reps of 3 sets with 25 pounds attached to a belt.

Before doing full weight training, i did p90x3 for like a year and a half. There is a particular vid in there called the challenge where u do an insane amount of pull ups and pushup every thursday. That surely helped.
Gases you? Sounds kinky.

Still - not bad even as you say it. I really only started working out again 3 years ago and saw massive increases in those kinda things rather quickly. Lack of time though has made me stagnate for the last 1,5 years. Still healthy though!

This thread is just one illinformed upload away from shirtless pics of everyone on ResetEra. We can do it!

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
people in this thread saying 40 pushups straight is easy but they been hitting the gym lol. Some of ya'll need CONTEXT in your life.

Take someone that doesn't have a gym membership, even if they look fit, and see if they can reach 40.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I just recently started doing anything at all again when it comes to fitness, and once I realized my elbows were wrong, I fixed the issue. My nombuer of possible pushups got more than halved by doing so.
Story of my life too. I started looking up form guides recently and when I tried at first 7 was my limit. It was only embarrassing until I realized that it's good to get a proper benchmark so you have one to break. And breaking benchmarks feels good.

One step at a time.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man

This is it, the best video on how to do the proper push up I've seen.

I do 6-8 sets 25 reps throughout the day. I've never tried to do 40, but I think I can do it since I train regularly.

For noobs, follow this video, form is very important. Start out with a small amount and work you way up to doing a lot. Just keep doing em! You will get better and be able to do a lot with time!

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bench 3 sets of 5 reps at 225 pounds, and I can't do 40 pushups nonstop. You guys are nuts. Most of the difficulty isn't a strength thing; it requires significantly higher than average endurance.
This is also true. Some massive guys can't do pull-ups yet very skinny, lanky dudes can dish out 50. Which will you tell me is in better shape? If you saw the number on paper without regard for the actual person, you'd choose the person doing 50, but I bet the bigger guy can bench and lift a ton more.

I'm at a point now where I've accumulated more muscle mass than ever before, yet doing push-ups have gotten harder.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I've been going to the gym 6 days a week and getting back into shape for the last several months after stopping and can almost do 60 until I give out, but people saying 40 is "easy" got to be doing granny pushups or something and not good ones lol (chest and face close to the floor).

I start getting weary close to 40. It's not "easy", but just not too difficult if you're in decent shape.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
my record is like 52 (last 10 or so were probably pretty sloppy lol).. but i doubt i can do 25 now.

fuck, maybe i should get back to it. pushups are really boring though :/

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say you don't really need to do high reps work outs, just go heavier, it's more efficient. High reps will feel like nothing later on.

That's what I've read (progressive overloading with heavier and heavier weights is the best for muscle gain) so I've gone with that for the most part!

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
All that it takes is 5 minutes to search on Google and you will find a lot of results

Example: https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/5-common-push-up-mistakes-to-avoid/

Yes, there are wrong and right ways to do pushups. And also yes, there are different types of pushups that hits different muscles.

The most common mistake is opening your elbows too much. You can easily do 100+ pushups this way.

The weight of your body is retained in the elbows, so flexing your arms is very easy this way.
Right, there are wrong ways of doing, i meant to say that there are different forms, if ur form is good in all the right places. People are saying "if u do them the right way, they are much harder"... well military style is harder than wide pushups, but that doesn't mean that wide pushups are invalid.