• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you know any men who were pressured or deceived into having kids?

• Yes

Votes: 455 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 520 53.3%

• Total voters

Atilac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My brother was tricked into having his daughter. His gf at the time said she had an iud. He believed her. This was after she tricked him into paying for an imaginary abortion, which caused him to fall off the wagon.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
One year at a Christmas gathering my cousin's wife admitted to a bunch of mostly women that she just stopped taking her pill and didn't tell her husband because otherwise he was taking to long to go along with it.

Instead of being fucking horrified the room of my aunts and cousins just laughed and nodded. Yup, sometimes you have to do that, they seemed to all say. A few admitted to literally the same thing.

My girlfriend and me at the time both WTF'd hard after that day.

I still don't understand why folks would want the love of their lives... their life partner...etc... to constantly take birth control pills.

Maybe I need to read up on it more, but growing up I was led to believe it wasn't a healthy thing to do long term.

Even though I wasn't married to them.. I didn't want my ex'es to do it... We did our part regarding pre-cum.. and then I did my part in pulling out. Worked out all my years with relationships where we eventually started to go bare.

OP
OP
Juice

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
To folks piling on the part where I said I resented/hated kids, I'm not walking around like a monster or anything. I'm perfectly kind and polite to people. The reason I emphasized it in the OP is because if I'd been any LESS headstrong about it, I wouldn't have risked being ostracized by friends and family by refusing to procreate. I paid a high social cost for this

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand why folks would want the love of their lives... their life partner...etc... to constantly take birth control pills.

Maybe I need to read up on it more, but growing up I was led to believe it wasn't a healthy thing to do long term.

Even though I wasn't married to them.. I didn't want my ex'es to do it... We did our part regarding pre-cum.. and then I did my part in pulling out. Worked out all my years with relationships where we eventually started to go bare.

Most of the women I've been with on the pill actually wanted to be on them for hormonal reasons. With my wife, she had an IUD in already.

And, I mean, pull out is both not quite as satisfying and not as safe. None of us wanted a kid when I was 18 or 20 or whatever. I mean if the love of my life didn't want to be on the pill or whatever then obviously we'd have that conversation and it's her body so she rules in regard to that. But the women I've been with have wanted to for hormonal or control reasons.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
the way you talk about kids is very... off putting

the pill is normal to take long term and pulling out feels terrible

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
One year at a Christmas gathering my cousin's wife admitted to a bunch of mostly women that she just stopped taking her pill and didn't tell her husband because otherwise he was taking to long to go along with it.

Instead of being fucking horrified the room of my aunts and cousins just laughed and nodded. Yup, sometimes you have to do that, they seemed to all say. A few admitted to literally the same thing.

My girlfriend and me at the time both WTF'd hard after that day.

I think this is a southern thing in America, the idea that it's ok for women to "drag" their man into what will surely be a happy, stable, equitable co-parenting family relationship.

As the startling number of single moms in my dating pool can attest to, this doesn't usually work out.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is a southern thing in America, the idea that it's ok for women to "drag" their man into what will surely be a happy, stable, equitable co-parenting family relationship.

As the startling number of single moms in my dating pool can attest to, this doesn't always work out.
I live in Wisconsin. These were all Wisconsinites, born and raised.

Granted they're Wisconsinites that have in the past either defended or actually flown the confederate flag, so... you know.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
never knew doctors try to stop you from having a vasectomy? like you gotta have kids first before getting the surgery and you have to find one who's willing to bypass that; why's it like that tho

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
If a woman consents to protected sex, but a man forces her into unprotected sex, then I think that ought to be called rape.
Agreed. Stealthing is a form of rape in my book, and logically therefore, so is deliberately misleading/sabotaging a male's attempt to use birth control.

I definitely see it as emotional and moral abuse, and having long-lasting damaging effect to the victim in ways that can shatter their trust and self-confidence in future relationships. I definitely see it as sexual abuse, as again the act is related to sexual activities, and is intimately linked to it. But I have troubles calling it rape, really. This doesn't feel right to me, to call it rape.

I have greatly feared getting raped since I'm like 7 years old. I have also greatly feared becoming pregnant in non-consensual ways ever since I became menstruated. Those two fears overlap, but they're not the same fears still. Both of them are different kind of utter shit stuff, but they're not the same shit stuff, and shouldn't be equated to one another, in my opinion. Then again, my own experiences and fears are why I'm having this particular subjective opinion on the matter, this is... always a difficult and sensitive subject to talk and reflect about.

Last edited:

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah I know of one who was misled and ended up stuck in a somewhat shaky relationship for many years 'for the sake of the kid'

They will likely divorce soon

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017

it's fine

and actually a lot of women see improvement in mood/mental health and things like acne because of the changes in hormones from taking birth control

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My marriage ended over this very issue.

During dating / engagement, we discussed at length the desire to not have kids, and we were both on board. We were together for 14 years.

Then my ex flipped a switch in her brain and all of a sudden had baby fever (probably because a string of women in her office had recently had kids), and then it was all or nothing with zero room for compromise.

So, she left, and "started over", and five years later she's no closer to having a kid because she hasn't 'found the one' yet.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Not that simple when your SO wants kids.

I empathize but it is also the reason i made the choice to be fixed before having any kids. Makes those conversations a lot easier in dating.

Funny thing a friend of mine started dating a woman who said in the very beginning she wants kids, he doesn't. I told him it wouldn't work out based on that, but they started dating anyways, and lo and behold...they're at odds with each other over this very subject.

People will tell you their feelings on children in the beginning of the relationship. People who truly want kids will say this, and those who don't will also vocalize this. It always blows my mind they still get involved with each other and then are shocked at later stages in the relationship when they have different wants in regards to kids.

It kind of rides alongside what OP is talking about, that many people ignore these signs in the beginning because so many men and women think having kids is just their calling, and as a result they think their SO will change their mind about it, or will cave in via societal and spouse pressure.

Shit sucks. Which is why I personally don't even bother wasting time with a woman who is at odds with what I want in regards to whether or not to have children.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
There's definitely a weirdly judgmental tone a lot of the time some people take with you when you just flatly admit, and very bluntly explain why, you don't want kids. As a gay man I don't get this pressure from others quite as much, and I'm extremely happy my husband and I are both very firm on not wanting kids, but whenever someone asks us about it and we just straight up say "We don't like kids, we find them kind of frustrating to be around and it would absolutely sap us of our free time for years of our lives and tons of our money, and we just see nothing inherently rewarding in that" people can look at us like we're aliens.

Growing up, I always felt like having kids is something a lot of people do just as something they feel like they're supposed to do, without really every thinking about it much more than that, and being in a same-sex relationship makes parenting something you genuinely have to explicitly plan and weigh the pros and cons of - in addition to just how being gay can make you analyze aspects of sexuality and relationships most people don't even think to question - because it can't ever just kind of be something that "happens" to us and we have to find ways to make peace with it and rationalize it or whatever, there's a lot more work involved for us, which kind of takes away the mystique of it all and makes you realize that a lot more people probably wouldn't have kids if they could make the choice differently.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

During dating / engagement, we discussed at length the desire to not have kids, and we were both on board. We were together for 14 years.

Then my ex flipped a switch in her brain and all of a sudden had baby fever (probably because a string of women in her office had recently had kids), and then it was all or nothing with zero room for compromise.

So, she left, and "started over", and five years later she's no closer to having a kid because she hasn't 'found the one' yet.

Not sure what the compromise to having children is?

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I don't think that this is the correct answer, but I've met people who basically tried to answer this question with "Getting a dog"
Maybe it works for some people, I guess, but it seems to me that if you want a kid and you can be satisfied by having a dog, maybe you didn't really want a kid, and just something to look after and cuddle. Idk.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018

This always scares me about getting into a relationship again. Granted, I'm okay with eventually having kids - with plenty of planning and consideration beforehand - but that biological clock/peer pressure phenomenon is real.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I don't think that this is the correct answer, but I've met people who basically tried to answer this question with "Getting a dog"
Maybe it works for some people, I guess, but it seems to me that if you want a kid and you can be satisfied by having a dog, maybe you didn't really want a kid, and just something to look after and cuddle. Idk.

Yeah. If you just need something to love, lots of doggies in shelter looking for love and to give love.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Got that vibe from an ex, yeah. She eventually didn't want to use birth control because it made things "too complicated." I pointed out that having a child would make things extremely complicated and that somehow was not the right thing to say.

I also asked her once if she'd stop smoking when we had children and she took it as if I'd just slapped her mother.

During all of this, I was 20. She was 19.

We broke up and she was pregnant within four months with a dude who I'm pretty sure she was fooling around with near the end of our relationship, and who from what I heard felt similarly "trapped." They got married and I believe they now have two kids. I haven't been super curious about what's going on with them now.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. If you just need something to love, lots of doggies in shelter looking for love and to give love.

Like these adorable little tykes.

tl-horizontal_main_2x.jpg

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like kids is one of those issues that is highly magnified on ERA vs real life. The vast majority of my friends all have kids. I feel like I live in a bizarro world.

With respect to the OP, always bring your own "rubber" or get a vasectomy. In addition respect your partners wishes and realize that its time to bail if they want kids and you don't. Even if at the start of the relationship/marriage both of you agreed on no kids.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This always scares me about getting into a relationship again. Granted, I'm okay with eventually having kids - with plenty of planning and consideration beforehand - but that biological clock/peer pressure phenomenon is real.

We had two dogs already.

My compromise came during marriage counselling where I offered up if she could wait 5 years for us to get a bit of a nest egg / get properly prepared for the mountain of work having a kid was.

We were 30 at the time, and she said 35 would be "too late" for her and she wanted to have one ASAP.

So the "wait 5 years and we can try" wasn't good enough.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
it's fine

and actually a lot of women see improvement in mood/mental health and things like acne because of the changes in hormones from taking birth control

I'd argue that for many women, it's the total opposite. I took birth control pills for quite a while, they resulted in a deep dive to my libido as well as a nice depression to deal with. Birth control pills fuck with a lot of brain chemicals we barely fully understand, and while it might greatly improve the quality of life of many people with uteruses (I have friends taking them in order to reduce the pain and discomfort their endometriosis is putting them through), it equally can just screw over the quality of life of many other (libido, mental health, and even cancer can be huge side-effects).

It's a tough one, but let's say that birth control pills definitely aren't the perfect solution to this problem at all. The more birth control options we have, the merrier. But let's not put the onus on people with uteruses and push them to make birth control pills a priority while it can screw over us big time as well, more often than you'd think.

I always find it interesting how birth control pills were never made for people with penises, nor publically pushed by them to be created, and that's because more often than not they're pretty damn glad and happy to not have to be the ones that have to have the discipline and responsibility to maybe screw over their own health (or maybe not) by taking them in order to take charge of their own fertility. There's a certain level of comfort here some people aren't willing to give up on, and who take full advantage of our patriarchal societies in order to keep it that way. That and the toxic masculinity making most of them feel "lesser than" if they happen to have to be the ones expected to become infertile, even if very temporarily.

Oct 28, 2017
We had two dogs already.

My compromise came during marriage counselling where I offered up if she could wait 5 years for us to get a bit of a nest egg / get properly prepared for the mountain of work having a kid was.

We were 30 at the time, and she said 35 would be "too late" for her and she wanted to have one ASAP.

So the "wait 5 years and we can try" wasn't good enough.

Isn't that age range usually considered high risk pregnancy? Probably why they want it as soon as possible. But still resorting to that method is shitty. The whole secretly stop taking BC.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I'd kill to take a male birth control pill, assuming it was 99% effective and didn't make me suicidal or something.

I've always hated that the only two options for men are condoms and vasectomy.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
In my experience this isn't really a man or woman thing. Society in general pressures everyone to have children and I've met countless people with kids who are unhappy. I'm extremely confident if not for that constant societal pressure many more people would choose to not have kids.

When my wife and I had our first outing with friends as a couple people were already asking us when kids were coming. This on top of a lifetime of pressure.

Also I do think there are many examples of men having kids because their partner wants one but that ignores our upbringing. From young kids women are told that's what they need to do, be a mother. Men are given the opposite message. That's why it seems like it's the men being forced into having kids when really women are being pushed from the time they're kids.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018

She is probably too old now.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue that for many women, it's the total opposite. I took birth control pills for quite a while, they resulted in a deep dive to my libido as well as a nice depression to deal with. Birth control pills fuck with a lot of brain chemicals we barely fully understand, and while it might greatly improve the quality of life of many people with uteruses (I have friends taking them in order to reduce the pain and incomfort their endometriosis is putting them through), it equally can just screw over the quality of life of many other (libido, mental health, and even cancer can be huge side-effects).

It's a tough one, but let's say that birth control pills definitely aren't the perfect solution to this problem at all. The more options we have, the merrier. But let's not put the onus on people with uteruses and push them to make birth control pills a priority while it can screw over us big time as well, more often then you'd think. I always find it interesting how birth control pills were never made for people with penises, nor publically pushed by them to be created, and that's because more often than not they're pretty damn glad and happy to not have to be the ones that have to have the discipline and responsibility to maybe screw over their health (or maybe not) by taking them in order to take charge of their own fertility. There's a certain level of comfort some people aren't willing to give up on. That and the toxic masculinity making most of them feel "lesser than" if they happen to have to be the one expected to become infertile, even if temporarily.
From what I have heard from the women in my life, you really have to find the right one for you, because the wrong one throws all of your systems out of wack, while the right one can help balance you out. This is all anecdotal and doesn't account for other medications they are on and each person's specific brain chemistry, though. Saying "it's fine" was probably too broad on my part, especially speaking on secondhand experience.

I agree with everything in the second paragraph

Oct 28, 2017
I'd kill to take a male birth control pill, assuming it was 99% effective and didn't make me suicidal or something.

I've always hated that the only two options for men are condoms and vasectomy.

Same. Wish men had a pill version. Putting a condom on every time is a serious downer. Plus my anxiety starts to rise every month if my fiancé's period doesn't start right in time. Always makes me think the condom malfunctioned during use but then finally her period starts and I breathe a huge sigh of relief.

Kinda turns me off sex entirely tbh.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Same. Wish men had a pill version. Putting a condom on every time is a serious downer. Plus my anxiety starts to rise every month if my fiancé's period doesn't start right in time. Always makes me think the condom malfunctioned during use but then finally her period starts and I breathe a huge sigh of relief.

Kinda turns me off sex entirely tbh.

Yep, and it scares the shit out of me because I know that if it should ever happen the choice for what happens next is more-or-less out of my hands. Agency gone. If she wants to keep a baby, then we're having a baby.

Oct 28, 2017
Yep, and it scares the shit out of me because I know that if it should ever happen the choice for what happens next is more-or-less out of my hands. Agency gone. If she wants to keep a baby, then we're having a baby.

Sorry to hear that. Me and my fiancé both are adamant about never having kids. We enjoy our own time too much to worry about another person's problems. Life is stressful enough with just us. Why the fuck would we ask for more? Lol

Deleted member 14313

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No it isn't, at all. You can give consent to having sex with someone, while at the very same time not give consent to also have kids with that person. Please do not equate it to rape, thank you.
Consent can be conditional. It is rape if for instance a person's consent is conditional on the other person using birth control. This is known as rape by deception.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Legally "stealthing" is classified as rape in the UK as it violates "conditional consent" laws. IE, that the person would never have had sex had they known a condition had changed.

That's interesting, I don't think the law in my country properly recognizes it as rape, for that matter. There's still something weird to me in putting it under the actual definition of rape, although I can see why one would make the case that it actually could belong there as well. But it definitely belongs to the wider umbrella that is sexual abuse, no doubt.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone I know was told by his wife that she was barren and they had two kids 🤷🏻‍♂️ Obviously he should've been more careful after the first but uhhhh yeah she's been dishonest about a lot of stuff so idk if she was telling the truth with that one.

Oct 25, 2017
"The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's survey on domestic violence includes questions regarding control of reproductive health, specifically pregnancy pressure and birth control sabotage.[10] The 2011 study found that:

• approximately 8.6% (or an estimated 10.3 million) of women in the United States reported ever having an intimate partner who tried to get them pregnant when they did not want to, or refused to use a condom, with 4.8% having had an intimate partner who tried to get them pregnant when they did not want to, and 6.7% having had an intimate partner who refused to wear a condom;
  • approximately 10.4% (or an estimated 11.7 million) of men in the United States reported ever having an intimate partner who tried to get pregnant when they did not want to or tried to stop them from using birth control, with 8.7% having had an intimate partner who tried to get pregnant when they did not want to or tried to stop them from using birth control and 3.8% having had an intimate partner who refused to wear a condom."