• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you know any men who were pressured or deceived into having kids?

• Yes

Votes: 455 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 520 53.3%

• Total voters

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
Maybe this is my fundamentalist past nipping at my heels, but the idea that every heterosexual monogamous pairing must result in a child is still pervasive in most of my non-tech and non-twitter social circles.

Personally, I've been married 12 years but was incredibly headstrong about not having kids and got a vasectomy to ensure it, despite that leading to my wife's family and many of my own relatives shunning me. I have many friends with kids that I do my best to tolerate, but honestly I just truly resent children (until they reach their mid-20s or so) within a few hours. I still take a lot of shit for my decision but I can't imagine how hateful and spiteful a person I'd be if I had to raise or pay for kids.

Compare to many of my men friends who do have kids, and while plenty of them had kids as an intentional decision, many others resent their own children or their partners for either pressuring them into it or (they suspect, at least) lying about birth control or willingness to get an abortion. I have one friend whose wife openly brags about how she lied in the run up to get pregnant and she is mostly celebrated for this by friends and family because of course the man will get used to it and eventually love them.

Is this just a conservative flyover state thing? Is it still common in other parts of the developed western world?

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Women are tricked and pressured into having kids all the time, all over the fucking world.

This anecdotal strawman you've proposed as evidence of the victimhood of men being 'tricked' by some toxic relationship doesn't change that.

This is a really weird and antagonistic response. Not sure how the whataboutism/gender wars angle is appropriate at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Parents are the ultimate early adopters.

They complain all day about their kids but tell ya how ya just GOTTA have kids. Oh it's so life changing.

But naw. No one is being tricked. I'm sure being a parent can be very rewarding. But societal pressure is a bit odd given overpopulation and how there are plenty of older kids looking to be adopted. Not having kids doesn't have to mean abandoning future generations.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Women are tricked and pressured into having kids all the time, all over the fucking world.

This anecdotal strawman you've proposed as evidence of the victimhood of men being 'tricked' by some toxic relationship doesn't change that.

This.
Obviously it's extremely wrong when anyone is tricked into having kids, but the fact is it happens to women vastly more often.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

Is that what you'd say to one of your friends if their wife or girlfriend lied about being on birth control?

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
If they can't respect your decision, then they don't respect you.

Having kids, like having animals & material things, are not a necessity.

Also, there are plenty of children that need to be adopted.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

How are we supposed to talk about men's health and make meaningful progress towards less toxicity when the discussion devolves into crap like this.

Last edited:

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I've got a story or two.....

how about after telling her bf that she was already pregnant, she convinced him he no longer needed to use the condoms.
She supposedly went as far as showing him a fake pregnancy test, but it turns out she wasn't pregnant until sometime after they stopped using the condoms.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh as a parent, there's no being tricked into being a parent, because you're never fucking ready for it before it happens regardless. Yes there's pressure to have children from society at large, but that pressure is several orders of magnitude harsher on women and heavier. They also are dealt the worst card of parenthood from all facets.

The premise of this thread is flawed in my eyes.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
Men can wear condoms. There are things you can do to prevent a women getting pregnant. If you do not do those things, that is on you too.
"she told me she was on birth control!"

Who cares, wear a condom, shit happens, be safe. Take responsibility for your own actions

Oct 28, 2017
My ex was baby crazy. She wanted nothing more than to have kids with me. I did not. But she got pregnant and mis carried. Got pregnant a second time with twins, lost one in the womb.

She was a crazy drug addict too but I wasn't. We got a divorce and she had the kid back in California with her family. But she couldn't stop doing drugs I was told and the state took her away and gave her up for adoption.

Before me, she also had two or three kids from previous relationships taken away as well. All due to drugs and booze.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Actually yes. Recently a friend of mine was persuaded to have a child with his wife by HIS family. He was told how great it is to have kids blah blah, without being informed of any of the hardships.

He's happy to have his son and loves him, but if he could do it over he'd wait a bit more.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Is that not evidence of a toxic relationship?

That was rethorical. I'm more interested in why your immediate response to the OP was, to paraphrase; "despite your concocted anecdote women have it worse!"

OP never implied otherwise. Nor have you added anything of worth other than an obvious dismissal of the topic.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Actually yes. Recently a friend of mine was persuaded to have a child with his wife by HIS family. He was told how great it is to have kids blah blah, without being informed of any of the hardships.

He's happy to have his son and loves him, but if he could do it over he'd wait a bit more.

It boggles the mind how can you avoid being informed of what parenthood entails, in this day and age.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017

This feeling occurs when you want kids yourself without any pressure. Telling you this from experience.....

It boggles the mind how can you avoid being informed of what parenthood entails, in this day and age.

Imo, there's nothing that actually prepares you that isn't already experience being a parent. You can read all the books you want, you will find yourself unprepared a lot and feeling despair real fast. Kids are fucking hard.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I had a friend (f) who told me she knew a girl who did this once. Poke holes in condoms or whatnot. It was a "my brother and thinks she did this just to force him to marry her" thing.

I don't really run with anyone who would do this. Either shame you for not having kids or trick you into having them. You run with shitty people.

I do know a guy who got a vasectomy without ever talking to his wife first. They have three kids already, but not talking to your wife before getting surgery is weird.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
I dont know if it's "tricked" as much as pressured. Men pressure women too, of course. Guys get a woman pregnant in order to lock them into the relationship.

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019

Shit like this is why Men just bottle up shit and don't talk about things....

Maybe actually read the OP instead of just jumping the gun to get first post.

Dec 2, 2017
Literally had an ex desperate for kids put me in a scissor lock with her legs at the moment of climax. I was strong enough to get out but she gave me this wounded look after.

When we broke up she found another guy in 2 weeks and was married with a kid on the way within 6 months.

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Oh absolutely. I get he trusts his family and loves his wife, but this is a life changing decision and the internet is at your fingertips.

It's so typical though of couples feeling pressure to have kids.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't want kids, but I did want to keep my wife. So we tried. Imagine my relief when I found out I have low counts and motility! But it was driving my wife to severe depression. So we did IVF and it worked. I now have a 4 year old and he's my favorite person in the world. I would take on a grizzly with my bare hands to save him. So the pressure wasnt mean... it was just a pressure not to have a depressed wife. I made a good choice.

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Tbh as a parent, there's no being tricked into being a parent, because you're never fucking ready for it before it happens regardless. Yes there's pressure to have children from society at large, but that pressure is several orders of magnitude harsher on women and heavier. They also are dealt the worst card of parenthood from all facets.

The premise of this thread is flawed in my eyes.

Wow, I have several stories of several people being "tricked" into being parent.

One woman lied about being pregnant already, using fake pregnancy test to trick bf into stop using the condoms
another was poking holes in the condoms in hopes that it would happen anyway
others have straight up lied about being on birth control (the man should still take precautions on his end as BC isn't 100% anyway)
and in a special case, there was a time where the man was raped in his sleep, and when he woke just before the climax of the event, he was in no position to stop what was already happening as it was too late.

so let's please abandon the "can't be tricked" argument.

Last edited:

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
My ex was baby crazy. She wanted nothing more than to have kids with me. I did not. But she got pregnant and mis carried. Got pregnant a second time with twins, lost one in the womb.

She was a crazy drug addict too but I wasn't. We got a divorce and she had the kid back in California with her family. But she couldn't stop doing drugs I was told and the state took her away and gave her up for adoption.

Before me, she also had two or three kids from previous relationships taken away as well. All due to drugs and booze.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Why didnt you take the child?

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
OP, very surprised you were even able to get a doctor to give you a vasectomy without any kids.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
One of my exes tried to guilt me into having children once, it wasn't the catalyst to our breakup, but it was the beginning of me thinking "I don't think I want to be with this person forever..."

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
That pressure is common everywhere, yeah. There's people who have a "So when will you be having kids?" kind of attitude since, to them, it's expected of a hetero couple to have kids. As someone in a long-term relationship with no kids I get that kind of shit all the time from grandparents and what not.

I do know someone who got tricked, though. My mate got his girlfriend pregnant, baby was born, and she immediately separated from him days after leaving the hospital, told him she just wanted a kid and wanted him out of their life now, and he's been in and out of courts with her ever since. I had no idea that you don't have 50/50 care right out of the gate, he had to go to court just to have the right to see his son. Pretty fucked up.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I have several stories of several people being "tricked" into being parent.

One woman lied about being pregnant already, using fake pregnancy test to trick bf into stop using the condoms
another was poking holes in the condoms in hopes that it would happen anyway
others have straight up lied about being on birth control (the man should still take precautions on his end as BC isn't 100% anyway)
and in a special case, there was a time where the man was raped in his sleep, and when he woke in the middle of the event, he was in no position to stop what was already happening as it was too late.

so let's please abandon the "can't be tricked" argument.
I guess I spoke to generally as the OP wasn't describing such intense cases rather more the pressure surrounding having a child, particularly from family.

i can't really comment on what you've mentioned. I've never heard such stories before and I don't really know what to say about them. Short of that's awful.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Not that simple when your SO wants kids.

I empathize but it is also the reason i made the choice to be fixed before having any kids. Makes those conversations a lot easier in dating.

If your SO wants kids and you don't, seems like that is a deal breaker, no?

I don't have patience for people that stay in a relationship where one spouse wants children and the other don't. End that shit early.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
My best friend of ~30 years briefly dated someone who only hooked up with him because she was already pregnant and needed someone to support her. She almost successfully tricked him into believing that the kid was his.