• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
Metroid easily has one of the most ICONIC, with my personal favorite in the series being the terminal corruption sequence in Metroid Prime corruption:

The smash bros series has a lot of sounds to choose from, but my favorite is Captain Falcon's non-star KO scream in Melee for just how bizarre it sounds:

Show me some carnage, ERA!

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The screen smear and sound when you beat a boss in Kingdom Hearts is unbelievably satisfying:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
2spmcm.gif

The sfx is iconic: <https://youtu.be/301w1PuMIbo>

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
How do you do a game over sequence when the whole gag is that the protagonist is comically invincible?

www.youtube.com

Gon (SNES) game over

Two things:1. Billy Goat are the biggest prick of them all.2. Don't mess with Gon, or he'll kill everybody by destroying the Earth. X_X

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

-Majoras Mask game over with the moon falling is good too.
-Joke endings like in Nier Automata when you eat a fish

Coen

Oct 25, 2017
Antwerp, Belgium
While not really what you're looking for, the short chirp that plays after a kill in Killzone 2 is the best thing about that entire franchise.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Can't find any gifs or good vids of it exclusively but I always remember the Turok death yell when falling and the revive.

Its in this vid.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
FF6. It's haunting. "Annihilated" followed by a black screen with just your lead character, kneeling, and a somber theme kicks in.

Also can't believe no one's posted a classic Resident Evil game over either. You and your enemy on a black screen with them slaughtering you, your blood exploding into the words GAME OVER.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
There is a surprising number of fully animated death cutscenes for Leon in Resident Evil 4 that it's a novelty as you go through the game and discover more & more horrific scenes.

garrador.gif

Frakked

Jun 5, 2018
I can't find a good example online, but Sekiro's deflect, deflect, posture break, execution is a masterful rhythm of satisfying sounds.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020

I'm always a sucker for cool boss death animations and 3D Zelda games made them an art form. The way the last hit transitions straight into the cutscene, the triumphant music as the boss slowly decays or burns up in front of you. Perfection.

Castlevania and Kirby are great at this too