• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zodiark

alt account
Banned
Feb 8, 2020
During 2013, I saw the trailer of this game and it got me interested.

I completely forgot about it several months later and so it was for 7 years. Some weeks ago some memes about Elden Ring disappearance mentioned it and I did some researches, acknowledging the situation.

It was fun to have a chat with some friends I watched the original trailer with having the same reaction "Ohhh that game, completely forgotten"

So I'm wondering and asking: do you think there is any solid possibility that is it in fact going to be released? Otherwise, why doesn't Capcom cancel it yet like Microsoft did with Scalebound?

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
No, and if it ever did come out it'd be a very different game. Capcom basically lost the source code when trying to transfer the project to Unreal after the Phantai Rei Engine (internally known as the Sophia Engine) was a failure. It's never properly been cancelled, but essentially to make the game they'd have to start all over. Many within the company don't even really know what happened to it, or where the work done on it is currently stored.

There's a longer, kinda' sad/kinda' funny story behind it, but it was partially due to Deep Down (and Resident Evil 6's) failures that the RE Engine was made and Capcom Division 1 & 2 had huge restructures that lead to the current Capcom Division 1 that's been putting out a bunch of hits, and Monster Hunter World from Div 2, Capcom's biggest game to date.

OP
OP
Zodiark

Zodiark

alt account
Banned
Feb 8, 2020
No, and if it ever did come out it'd be a very different game. Capcom basically lost the source code when trying to transfer the project to Unreal after the Phantai Rei Engine (internally known as the Sophia Engine) was a failure. It's never properly been cancelled, but essentially to make the game they'd have to start all over. Many within the company don't even really know what happened to it, or where the work done on it is currently stored.
Such a shame, it seemed to have potential.

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that Rockstar still hasn't officially cancelled Agent, and that's a PS3 game.

Basically, often studios don't bother to officially cancel things and take the PR hit, preferring to just let things fade from memory.

OP
OP
Zodiark

Zodiark

alt account
Banned
Feb 8, 2020
There's a longer, kinda' sad/kinda' funny story behind it, but it was partially due to Deep Down (and Resident Evil 6's) failures that the RE Engine was made and Capcom Division 1 & 2 had huge restructures that lead to the current Capcom Division 1 that's been putting out a bunch of hits, and Monster Hunter World from Div 2, Capcom's biggest game to date.
Well MHW is one of my all time favourite games so maybe it's better this way.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
It was a game in a new in house engine that never actually got used for anything because now they have RE Engine. I think it is dead.

Also Nioh came back, so who knows?

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
People say that it's "dead," but I think a lot of these projects turn into different ones as they go on.

That was probably the case with Deep Down, which is a shame as I would've liked to actually see it.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

I am still amazed that source codes can be lost in this day and age where the practice of backing up multiple iterations of data to local and cloud storages are considered standard practice.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

that's pretty embarrassing if true

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
Ono is just waiting for his chance to take over Capcom with this game

jUMFWV0.jpg

it will resurface as a Nioh clone in europe or something.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
I think it's dead for the next 2/3 years, but from 2024 onwards there's a chance we might see it again, Capcom wants to expand now that they had back to back financial successes, Pragmata is a strong indicator pointing in that direction, so they might NEED to bring back Deep Down, especially since it was a different IP from the rest of their offerings.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Yes, or rather, I'd expect it to come out in some form. Like assets/ ideas could be reworked or used in other projects. However, I doubt we will ever see it in the form it was originally revealed in. Hell, we could get a game called deep down, but it might have close to nothing in relation to what we've seen. Full on conspiracy take - that new game, pragmata or whatever it's called, could just be deep down either with a new name or they going full Kojima and are using pragmata as a temporary name, only to reveal it as deep down further down the road.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018

That's really irresponsible of them to lose source code in the middle of development. I've heard of source code lost after a game has long been done but not this.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017

I'm glad your back :)

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Nah, it was a new gen reveal game. People who played it said it was a disaster, etc. Whenever a console is revealed, you get these crazy titles that simply never come out, and that is fine too. I wouldn't be shocked if either Pragmata or Project Athia never came out too lol

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Do we even know if Capcom is working on anything similar to Deep Down?? Is Dragon Dogma 2 a reality? Its been 2 console gens...

How sure of you of this?

I mean Itsuno has talked about Dragons Dogma 2 a few times in interviews, he even straight up said the team was deciding on whether to do DMCV first or DD2 first and decided on DMCV. So yeah that's just one instance. Also I once tweeted at him asking him to make DD2 and he followed me lol

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I just neeed Dragons Dogma 2 to become reality. Thats all I want, so I'm a little sensitive when it comes to mention of it.

Last edited:

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
That's really irresponsible of them to lose source code in the middle of development. I've heard of source code lost after a game has long been done but not this.
It kinda' was canned. Essentially in the process of trying to convert what they they could to Unreal with a much smaller team, it kinda' just... sizzled out? I mean, it's there somewhere and if they really were committed to finding it I'm sure they could, but they haven't been. Never officially canceled, but hasn't been worked on at all for a few years now, and most even internally don't really know what happened to it.

But again, due to Deep Down and a few other mishandlings at the time Capcom did a huge restructure, which lead to the Capcom we have now. They may eventually do something with it, they do still own the IP and there was interest, but if they did it'd be different than what was shown before as they'd basically be making it again from the ground up.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It kinda' was canned. Essentially in the process of trying to convert what they they could to Unreal with a much smaller team, it kinda' just... sizzled out? I mean, it's there somewhere and if they really were committed to finding it I'm sure they could, but they haven't been. Never officially canceled, but hasn't been worked on at all for a few years now, and most even internally don't really know what happened to it.

But again, due to Deep Down and a few other mishandlings at the time Capcom did a huge restructure, which lead to the Capcom we have now. They may eventually do something with it, they do still own the IP and there was interest, but if they did it'd be different than what was shown before as they'd basically be making it again from the ground up.
I have faith and want to believe that whatever becomes of Deep Down will develop into the form of DD2.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
They talked about Deep Down and that new engine like the were intertwined so when the RE Engine was announced, the engine was for sure scrapped and presumably the game too. I thought it could still come back on the RE Engine but it's been long enough to make me think it's completely dead. Especially now when it seems like Dragon's Dogma 2 might be in the works.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I think it's strange that there is no sequel to dragons dogma after they milked all those remaster ports.

Oct 25, 2017
At the very least gimmie the unfinished OST. The TGS 2013 trailer theme and the TGS 2013 demo dungeon theme were top tier :(

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
i used to think that but what little i've seen of deep down, game is virtually nothing like dogma at all really
I mean thats not saying much really as Dragons dogma was 2 generations ago. As graphics and animations get more realistic we really don't know what a Dragons Dogma 2 would look or play like with PS5/XSX graphics power. If anything you'd have to think it would be more grounded and reality based in a fantasy atmosphere as the Deep Down design tech showed us.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I get the feeling it was already rebooted once and that didn't work out either. It's long gone.