• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
It looks kinda... Cool? At least in a nostalgic way.

The game was firstly announced in 2016 for, supposedly, 3DS and PS4. Now it's releasing, as a cross-media project (anime and manga), on Switch, PS4 and mobile.

Last edited:

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I seriously don't see the setting and designs even remotely appealing enough for its cross-media bent to be successful.

Level 5's obsession with these kind of things will be their undoing.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Lot will depend on the mech gameplay. Will get it if that's good. More cross media crap from L5 though...

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is Hino betting this is the one he can actually release on all platforms simultaneously?

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I seriously don't see the setting and designs even remotely appealing enough for its cross-media bent to be successful.

The last new mecha anime succesful was TTGL back in 2007, it's a genre that now lives on the back of Evangelion and Gundam. Making this game a cross media project is a very bold move (to not say outright bad).

It seems pretty kiddy, but mechs are for otakus.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
The last new mecha anime succesful was TTGL back in 2007, it's a genre that now lives on the back of Evangelion and Gundam. Making this game a cross media project is a very bold move (to not say outright bad).

The mechs themselves don't feel like they fully commit to either Real Robo or Super Robo trappings.

Like they are obvious kiddie Super Robits, but then they also have militarized "tacticool" elements to them.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay system pretty much looks like a more modern version of Danball Senki, just with a giant robot coat of paint.

I'd be more excited if this wasn't online.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I'm disappointed with the level of polish. I'd expect better from Level5. It looks like a low budget PS3 game at best.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really hate the new character art. It used to look more generic before but also way more pleasing to the eye and more reminiscent of the L5 style than it does now:

Now:
Megaton-Musashi_2019_12-21-19_017.jpg
Megaton-Musashi_2019_12-21-19_021.jpg

Before:
Megaton-Musashi-Tease_10-12-18.jpg

What's wit those faces? D:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
I just wanted to point out that they intend to release figures along side the other cross-media products.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
This will flop. Everything about the project looks low budget. Seems that Level 5 is stuck in the DS era with their cross media projects. These budgets will not be enough for Switch/PS4 projects.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the weird swaying really doesn't help. Would look way better with more static portraits tbh.

Also, I don't understand why they're showing off Switch footage here. At least the button prompts are not from the PS4.

Judging by the fact the low budget Yokai Watch spinoff is already out on Switch but not PS4 I'm guessing only the Switch version is in a presentable state. I doubt they will even release at the same time.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Judging by the fact the low budget Yokai Watch spinoff is already out on Switch but not PS4 I'm guessing only the Switch version is in a presentable state. I doubt they will even release at the same time.

Looking forward to Megaton Musashi + then lmao

shit, to think that I was actually looking forward to this at some point D:

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Oh this project isn't dead? Cool. The new art is meh but at least the gameplay and mecha customization looks decent. But what happened to the announcer and jingles A.K.A. the best part of the game?

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
This will flop. Everything about the project looks low budget. Seems that Level 5 is stuck in the DS era with their cross media projects. These budgets will not be enough for Switch/PS4 projects.

You could make 2D DS-era games just with a higher resolution and it would be a lower budget game that could do well on Switch. I hate the idea (in general) that we couldn't have DS series on the Switch.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
It looks kinda... Cool? At least in a nostalgic way.

The game was firstly announced in 2016 for, supposedly, 3DS and PS4. Now it's releasing, as a cross-media project (anime and manga), on Switch, PS4 and mobile.

OP, please update your post with this:

www.megaton-musashi.jp

基本プレイ無料|メガトン級ムサシX(クロス)

何度も強敵に挑み最強機体を目指せ!(Nintendo Switch/PS5/PS4)

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I love Level 5, but I'm not really feeling this one. I'm not really a big mecha fan (though I have been enjoying 13 Sentinels). I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here, but, yeah. I'm gonna need to see more from this one. Is it even going to come to the west, though?

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I love Level 5, but I'm not really feeling this one. I'm not really a big mecha fan (though I have been enjoying 13 Sentinels). I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here, but, yeah. I'm gonna need to see more from this one. Is it even going to come to the west, though?

Proabably not anytime soon. L5 took a major blow when they jumped from Nintendo only to mobile and then multiplat.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Hino mentioned several times during the stream that he was reluctant to show off gameplay of the battles at TGS, but eventually decided that they needed to promote the game. The footage looks rough, and he reiterated several times that it was a work in progress, and that the game (including the UI) would see improvements. The game's being directed by one of Level 5's character designers. It's his first time directing.

Hino also provided an update on the anime, which is coming summer 2021.

Honestly, the craziest thing to me about Level 5's two-hour TGS showing was that the most impressive looking game was Ni No Kuni: Cross Worlds... which is an MMO developed by NetMarble for smartphones. No word on western release (or if Namco is interested in picking it up) yet.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hino mentioned several times during the stream that he was reluctant to show off gameplay of the battles at TGS, but eventually decided that they needed to promote the game. The footage looks rough, and he reiterated several times that it was a work in progress, and that the game (including the UI) would see improvements. The game's being directed by one of Level 5's character designers. It's his first time directing.

Hino also provided an update on the anime, which is coming summer 2021.

Honestly, the craziest thing to me about Level 5's two-hour TGS showing was that the most impressive looking game was Ni No Kuni: Cross Worlds... which is an MMO developed by NetMarble for smartphones. No word on western release (or if Namco is interested in picking it up) yet.

It's not that crazy when you consider that Hino specifically said Ni No Kuni is meant to be their next big franchise. Expect to see a Ni No Kuni 3 at some point soon which has a disproportionate amount of their resources poured into it.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
It's not that crazy when you consider that Hino specifically said Ni No Kuni is meant to be their next big franchise. Expect to see a Ni No Kuni 3 at some point soon which has a disproportionate amount of their resources poured into it.

Ni no Kuni is going to need some significant changes if L5 wants it to be a major player in the RPG space, especially in the west. Every RPG brand that's popular in the west has been laser-focused on what it's good at, and found its own niche. Just off the top of my head:

Final Fantasy - High production values, Nomura art, drama​
Persona - Immersive escapism, high school simulator, waifus​
Xenoblade - Large, alien worlds and a sense of adventure​
Fire Emblem - Approachable strategy-based gameplay, character relationships​
Tales - Anime comfort food with good combat​

By comparison, I couldn't tell you one thing Ni no Kuni is known to excel at. The "it looks like a Ghibli film" thing was impressive back in 2009, but it isn't any more. They really need to figure out what Ni no Kuni stands for, what kind of audience they're aiming at, and then hire talent specifically around those goals to make the next game.

Squid Icarus

Jul 11, 2019
No No Kuni could excel at being a colorful, fairytale-like, good-feel adventure for all ages, inspired by or comparable to Ghibli or Disney. I think that's focus enough for it to find its audience and niche, but with NNK2, they lost themselves within dumb chibi style overworld, base building and bizarre RTS battle sections.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ni no Kuni is going to need some significant changes if L5 wants it to be a major player in the RPG space, especially in the west. Every RPG brand that's popular in the west has been laser-focused on what it's good at, and found its own niche. Just off the top of my head:

Final Fantasy - High production values, Nomura art, drama​
Persona - Immersive escapism, high school simulator, waifus​
Xenoblade - Large, alien worlds and a sense of adventure​
Fire Emblem - Approachable strategy-based gameplay, character relationships​
Tales - Anime comfort food with good combat​

By comparison, I couldn't tell you one thing Ni no Kuni is known to excel at. The "it looks like a Ghibli film" thing was impressive back in 2009, but it isn't any more. They really need to figure out what Ni no Kuni stands for, what kind of audience they're aiming at, and then hire talent specifically around those goals to make the next game.

To be fair, Ni No Kuni is probably already more popular than Tales in the west. NNK2 only sold ~100k in Japan and still sold 900k+ whereas Tales games do several times that amount in Japan and are still hovering around the 1m mark AFAIK.

I do agree though that the PS3 release managed to just hit a bit of a zeitgeist in terms of being a big budget, classic JRPG on the PS3 at a time when there wasn't much of that

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, Ni No Kuni is probably already more popular than Tales in the west. NNK2 only sold ~100k in Japan and still sold 900k+ whereas Tales games do several times that amount in Japan and are still hovering around the 1m mark AFAIK.

I do agree though that the PS3 release managed to just hit a bit of a zeitgeist in terms of being a big budget, classic JRPG on the PS3 at a time when there wasn't much of that

Right, but I think there's something to be said for the fact that Tales has had a dozen games released in the west, and continues to grow. As much as I'm personally not a fan, I can concede that Tales knows its audience and will continue to find new ways to reach more of that audience. (Either through being on more platforms, having better production values, or more interesting locales, or doing open worlds etc. etc.) Ni no Kuni doesn't strike me as a game that's found its identity yet.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Shinkalion was a pretty big hit with children and that's fairly recent.
(Yes, that is an Eva, it had an official crossover)
Although that might actually get in the way of this project going anywhere.

Oct 31, 2017
This game looks absolutely fucking awful.

Level 5 wtf are you doing?

Who makes these damn decisions?

This company's priorities are all wrong

All they need to do to see huge success:

1. Hire new goddamn writers
2. Fix AI for companions
3. Stop with multi-media BS

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I somehow completely missed this but the thread on Level 5 made me look this up.

It definitely looks rough. The cutscenes outside of the robot look really low budget, which I guess makes sense considering L5 is struggling. Gameplay wise it looks like it could be fun.

Anyone else disappointed there's only one female character though? I feel like your average shonen anime has a couple of female characters outside of the male rivalries. I'm glad she's not just a support character though.

This game looks absolutely fucking awful.

Level 5 wtf are you doing?

Who makes these damn decisions?

This company's priorities are all wrong

All they need to do to see huge success:

1. Hire new goddamn writers
2. Fix AI for companions
3. Stop with multi-media BS

When are you going to grow up and stop with the hyperbole.

Oct 31, 2017
I somehow completely missed this but the thread on Level 5 made me look this up.

It definitely looks rough. The cutscenes outside of the robot look really low budget, which I guess makes sense considering L5 is struggling. Gameplay wise it looks like it could be fun.

Anyone else disappointed there's only one female character though? I feel like your average shonen anime has a couple of female characters outside of the male rivalries. I'm glad she's not just a support character though.

When are you going to grow up and stop with the hyperbole.

My post wasn't a hyperbole. Your reaction to my post is acknowledged. Have a good day