• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
Not just that, the dialogue was pretty terrible and cliched too. X reads like the most boring, personality-less character in existence.

Which is a shame because everything else looks top-notch, but hey, as long as you can skip it.

I mean... let's be honest. The Megaman series hasn't exactly been known for its award winning dialogue.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
This is really awesome. But does it get shut down by Capcom ninjas? I'm always confused when I see these amazing things up pop up before they're done development, because widespread publicity for them gets them into C&D territory, no?

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
So would this run on a regular SNES emulator?
This is really awesome. But does it get shut down by Capcom ninjas? I'm always confused when I see these amazing things up pop up before they're done development, because widespread publicity for them gets them into C&D territory, no?
Street Fighter X Mega Man got an official release by Capcom, so who knows?

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland

Capcom never shut down any fangames, there's A LOT of megaman fangames out there!

The best one imo being MEGAMAN UNLIMITED, it's super good and among the best megaman games imo! you should really try it!

And i also recommend Rock & Roll, who was released just a year ago :

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom's fairly lax on Megaman fan games. Plenty exist and the only one(s) I can think of that they went after were Rockmen R 1/2 since unlike the other fan games (which are free downloads), these were doujin games physically sold (I own both, they are actually pretty fun) and Capcom didn't like other people making money on their IP, or so I understand.

Granted, there are exceptions - the fan remake of RE2 of course was shut down (or Capcom "requested" the devs to stop work on it) due to Capcom working on their own remake of 2.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
that's one impressive fan game! i love how it has the feel of the original X, but also takes some sensibilities from games like X4 (such as the energy remnants after using a fully charged shot). it looks absolutely beautiful and faithful to the original's graphics that it seems like it was made by the original artists.

two things though: to echo what people have said, the dialogue's kinda lame, sadly. the other thing is, is it just my imagination or does it seem like the frame rate keeps randomly shifting between 30 fps and 60 fps?

OP
OP
kyorii

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Sure, but at least it isn't known for having a lot of it either. I'm fine with either good dialogue, or little dialogue; this has meandering exchanges that go on about nothing at all.
Eh it is after X4, X5 to Zero and ZX start to take itself a little too seriously. Which some fans love for the lore and background for what it's worth. But as some have said, it's par for the course.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It has had major strides in development over the past year or so, but this fangame has been known for a very long time. I would be shocked if Capcom pulls a C&D on this now. Capcom has not touched any of the other free download fan Mega Man games. Some even have been played at AGDQ & SGDQ.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Eh it is after X4, X5 to Zero and ZX start to take itself a little too seriously. Which some fans love for the lore and background for what it's worth. But as some have said, it's par for the course.

Even leaving aside the "it was bad 20 years ago so no attempt should be made to make it better now" argument, this clearly mimics the SNES / X1-3 aesthetic, which had very little dialogue; but even X4-6 didn't have nearly this much dialogue. X in particular reads like a braindead, lifeless automaton.

On the other hand, it is called "X Corrupted" so perhaps this isn't representative of the full game's story and writing. I'm just disappointed because I was intrigued by the political implications of the prisoner in the ship mentioning corrution in Reploid's judiciary system, and a bit more behind Mavericks than "bots gone rogue", but the rest of the dialogue didn't inspire much confidence that this would be explored.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Reached the point where I don't want to look at streams/progress of Corrupted anymore because it might be my goty from everything I've seen and don't want to spoil myself further.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
So would this run on a regular SNES emulator?

No. This is a PC game built from the ground up. It might not look it, but X and Zero's sprites are completely redrawn and animate to be similar to X4-X6 but with a snes ish style color pallete. The amount of sprites on screen, background layers, scaling and rotation, unique colors, smoother animations, shaders etc would put this in the territory of a PS2/GC/Xbox game.

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
It's a fan game alright. I am very impressed with the sprite work.

Design wise, it leans heavy on advance moves that even the latter games' intro stages don't. It's fine for fans of the series though.

OP
OP
kyorii

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Even leaving aside the "it was bad 20 years ago so no attempt should be made to make it better now" argument, this clearly mimics the SNES / X1-3 aesthetic, which had very little dialogue; but even X4-6 didn't have nearly this much dialogue. X in particular reads like a braindead, lifeless automaton.

On the other hand, it is called "X Corrupted" so perhaps this isn't representative of the full game's story and writing. I'm just disappointed because I was intrigued by the political implications of the prisoner in the ship mentioning corrution in Reploid's judiciary system, and a bit more behind Mavericks than "bots gone rogue", but the rest of the dialogue didn't inspire much confidence that this would be explored.
The aesthetic of X1-X3 but with the supporting cast from X5 and beyond. I dunno X sound like he's always had. Straight laced Maverick Hunter. He didn't quite get more development as a character until the Zero series. Also I dunno pretty sure there was way more dialogue in X5 with Alias prompts.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
The boss battle looked incredibly fun. The music is on point. There is way too much fluff dialogue. Well-written dialogue is fine, but they also nailed that bad 90s prose too well combined with too much inconsequential talking.

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
That was quite impressive. Brilliant sound effects and music. Mega Man X, X2 and X3 where my childhood. Still got the original PAL X1 and X2 games lying around (want to sell em at some point but the feels ...)

Thanks for bringing this game to my attention.

Water

The Retro Archivist
Oct 30, 2017
This looks crazy. Is there like a ranking website of best game mods?

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It has had major strides in development over the past year or so, but this fangame has been known for a very long time. I would be shocked if Capcom pulls a C&D on this now. Capcom has not touched any of the other free download fan Mega Man games. Some even have been played at AGDQ & SGDQ.

They actually supported MM vs SF so much that they helped develop it. (Funded, marketed, QA'd, etc).

www.destructoid.com

Street Fighter X Mega Man fan game gets backed by Capcom

An official fan game and it’s going to be free! Yes, I know what you’re thinking. What weird dimension have...

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
This looks really good. I really need to check out some of the other fan games because I feel like it's been way too long since MM11 for an official new release.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've seen bits and pieces of this for a few months now. I can empathize with some of the critiques posted, but overall it still looks super amazing to me. Really hoping it all comes together and launches smoothly and fully. I know people say Capcom is more lenient on stuff like this, and to be fair there's evidence to back that up, but I won't feel 100% comfortable until this is released.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017

They uploaded a new video where they just skip all the cutscenes and dialogue.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So that will be an in-game option? Or they just editted the video?
In the start of the video they go into the options and disable a ''Cutscenes'' option.

Edit:
eZJJJOk.png

Last edited:

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like it is multiple cuts above the typical fangame project. This would absolutely pass for a genuine entry. Pretty damn cool.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do think Strike's design is a little meh, but I don't get the complaints about the writing. You could really do a lot worse, especially within the actual canon games. And it's super neat to see X being assisted by other Hunters.

But yeah, this fangame looks absolutely incredible, it's hard to imagine this isn't just Mega Man X's version of Sonic Mania.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I do think Strike's design is a little meh, but I don't get the complaints about the writing. You could really do a lot worse, especially within the actual canon games. And it's super neat to see X being assisted by other Hunters.

But yeah, this fangame looks absolutely incredible, it's hard to imagine this isn't just Mega Man X's version of Sonic Mania.
The writing quality is pretty much standard Mega Man. But that's not a good thing. Almost every sidescrolling Mega Man game would be improved by removing more lines of dialogue.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The writing quality is pretty much standard Mega Man. But that's not a good thing. Almost every sidescrolling Mega Man game would be improved by removing more lines of dialogue.
Yeah, no. That's a pure preference thing. I'm the sort of person who thinks traditional cutscenes should be going the way of the dodo, but I also thought Freedom Planet's cutscenes and writing were really good (seriously, I wonder if some people have ridiculously high standards for writing and voice acting), so I can make exceptions, and I do think Corrupted is basically a good step above the actual official X series games in that department already.

Granted, if it was up to me, I would probably just reboot the X series entirely and really go ham on the worldbuilding, because good grief the series seriously lacks it and the lack of human characters (aside from Dr. Cain) is utterly galling. But Corrupted is a step in the right direction, at least.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no. That's a pure preference thing. I'm the sort of person who thinks traditional cutscenes should be going the way of the dodo, but I also thought Freedom Planet's cutscenes and writing were really good (seriously, I wonder if some people have ridiculously high standards for writing and voice acting), so I can make exceptions, and I do think Corrupted is basically a good step above the actual official X series games in that department already.

Granted, if it was up to me, I would probably just reboot the X series entirely and really go ham on the worldbuilding, because good grief the series seriously lacks it and the lack of human characters (aside from Dr. Cain) is utterly galling. But Corrupted is a step in the right direction, at least.
Worldbuilding can be accomplished through gameplay. Lines of dialogue are a ham fisted method of accomplishing it.