• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Insomniac

Oct 27, 2017
I would be shocked to find out that they are anything more than decorative. These are out there at events/e3 and have been shown to the press right? Someone has to have looked into the slot to see if there is even a way to make a connection it it.

Sega has said that they're purely cosmetic. But I'd still maybe be interested in purchasing individual mini carts for a cheaper price ($10-ish?) without having to get the entire Tower of Power.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Man, working 32X mini and Sega CD mini would be so cool. All they'd really need to be would be fancy usb drives that the MD/GEN mini can load additional games from. I doubt they had the forethought to put an actual port in the cart slot though.

Apr 21, 2018
User Warned: Inappropriate Language.
No Revenge of Shinobi for the West.
No Strider on the JPN console.
Dynamite Headdy and SF2CE missing from the Asian console.
Alien soldier exclusive to the Asian console.
Otherwise the lineups are fairly decent.

I have a JPN mini preordered as I love that colour scheme and big bold "16-BIT". Hopefully I can add Strider and Alien Soldier to it.
Besides that I am happy with the lineup.

Decent ? Come one, dude :).

Even the weakest mini (western version) equal the pretty good SNES mini.

OK, it has the mediocre Alex Kidd, Altered Beast but SNES mini doesn't have Schmup, BTA, Puzzle games, S-RPG... and we are not talking about "decent" Genesis counter parts. We are talking about God tiers Thunder Force 3, King Streets of Rage 2, the excellent Puyo/Robotnik, and Shining Emperor.

Asian and Japanese versions are litterally blast processing rivals with 4 players fucking Hakusho, hilarious Rent a hero, Alien soldier(if Gunstar Heroes, Hard Corps weren't enough) and Musha Aleste to rape any resistance.:)

No no no, Capcom's mini is decent, Snes quite good like the Genesis Mini but Asian's megadrive minis are excellent. :)

Geezer

Jan 29, 2018
Alright, better than decent ;)

I have a JPN one preordered and would like to change it to the Asian one. Unfortunately Play-Asia has stopped preorders for both :(
I'm hoping they become available again before release.

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
Has anyone been able to confirm if I can play the US / PAL / JP versions of a game on a Genesis Mini yet? Will MDMini players be stuck playing 50hz Probotector, and not 60hz Contra: Hard Corps? Can I not play Japanese Dynamite Headdy? Am I playing Castlevania: The NEw Generation and not Bloodlines?

Apr 21, 2018
Alright, better than decent ;)

I have a JPN one preordered and would like to change it to the Asian one. Unfortunately Play-Asia has stopped preorders for both :(
I'm hoping they become available again before release.
Asian one ? Excellent choice for a non japanese speaker ! More variety than the Genesis, no Altered Crap, but Alien Soldier, Musha...
Rlan
Sorry, i cannot confirm even if i read several times it was a thing.(didn't fine the interview)

Oh, i got this if that van help :)

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
Yup - it seems like you can, but you have to switch the entire region over to Japanese to get the Japanese version. This might also be the case for European versions of some games if you switch it to European languages you'll get that regional version, like switching to French will get you Probotector, English will get you Contra: Hard Corps, and Japanese will give you the Japanese version.

Now the thing that we don't know is - what happens with a European Megadrive mini? Is there a switch between English and US English in that version, or can we only switch from, say, Probotector to the Japanese version, and not the American one? Also sounds like all games will be 60hz regardless, so Probotector will run in 60hz. The Contra collection just released allows you to play that in either 50hz or 60hz.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So uh, didja folks notice that if you switch regions on Genesis Mini, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine becomes Puyo Puyo 1?

That's so cool.

Insomniac

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious what happens to the games that were never released outside of Japan if you were to purchase the Japanese Mini and change the language to English. Would games like Langrisser II, The Hybrid Front, and Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyo Toitsusen not even show up in the menu anymore?

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
So....is it looking like all regions ROMs are on all units, it just changes which ROMs are displayed based on the system language?

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious what happens to the games that were never released outside of Japan if you were to purchase the Japanese Mini and change the language to English. Would games like Langrisser II, The Hybrid Front, and Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyo Toitsusen not even show up in the menu anymore?

They would still be there. Only games that would change are the ones that were released in other regions.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought I heard somewhere that was the case.

So....is it looking like all regions ROMs are on all units, it just changes which ROMs are displayed based on the system language?
Don't think so. If that were the case, Spinball and Kid Chameleon wouldn't be there in the chinese menu, right?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
In this gamexplain video you can see them going from the French Euro list to the English USA list. Weird thing is that the boxart of Beyond Oasis does change to Story of Thor, but the Contra and Castlevania boxarts stay the same.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going to update the list I posted weeks ago. This should cover all games from every region, categorized by genre. I'm surprised at how many RPG's are represented on this list. Especially for the Japanese and Asian regions.

Platformers
  • Sonic The Hedgehog (NA/ EU and Asia )
  • Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (2 Players through vs mode and passive co-op)
  • Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (Sega/ Disney) (NA/ EU and Asia)
  • World of Illusion Staring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck (Sega/ Disney) (2 Player co-op)
  • Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
  • Dynamite Headdy (Treasure) (NA/ EU only)
  • Kid Chameleon (NA/ EU only)

Action Platformers
  • Castlevania Bloodlines / The New generation/ Vampire Killer (Konami)
  • Ghouls 'N Ghosts (Sega/ Capcom)
  • The Super Shinobi (Revenge of Shinobi) (Japanese and Asia Mega Drive release)
  • Shinobi III : Return of the Ninja Master (NA/ EU only)
  • Strider (Sega/ Capcom) (NA/ EU and Asia)

Puzzle Platformers
  • Ecco The Dolphin (NovaTrade) (I have no idea where to categorize this one) (NA/ EU only)
  • Snow Bros.(Toaplan) (2 Player co-op) (Japanese and Asia Mega Drive release)

RPGs
  • Phantasy Star IV (turn based RPG)
  • Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole (Climax) (action RPG)
  • Beyond Oasis (Ancient/ Sega) (action RPG)
  • Shining Force (Strategy RPG)
  • Shining Force II (Strategy RPG) (Japanese and Asia Mega Drive release)
  • Wonder Boy in Monster World (Weststone) (side scroller action RPG) (NA/ EU and Asia )
  • Monster World IV (Weststone) (side scroller action RPG)
  • Rent a Hero (action RPG) (Japanese Mega Drive release ONLY)
  • Madō Monogatari (Compile) (turn based 3D dungeon crawler) (Japanese Mega Drive release ONLY)
  • The Hybrid Front (strategy RPG) (Japanese and Asia Mega Drive release)
  • Vermilion (first person/ action RPG) (Asia Mega Drive release only)
  • Langrisser II (Masaya Games) (strategy RPG) (Japanese and Asia Mega Drive release)
  • Lord Monarch: Tokoton Sentou Densetsu (Omiya Soft/ Falcom/ Sega) (strategy RPG) (Japanese Mega Drive release ONLY)

RougeLikes (non RPG)
  • ToeJam & Earl (TJ&E Productions) (2 Player co-op) (NA/ EU only)

Strategy
  • Dyna Brothers 2: Sega Channel Special (2 Player competitive) (Japanese Mega Drive release ONLY)

Beat 'Em Up's/ Brawlers
  • Altered Beast (2 Player co-op) (NA/ EU only)
  • Streets of Rage 2/ Bare Knuckle 2 (2 Player co-op)
  • Golden Axe (2 Player co-op)
  • Comix Zone

Run and Gun shooters/ shooter platformers
  • Contra: Hard Corps / Probotector (Konami) (2 Player co-op)
  • Gunstar Heroes (Treasure) (2 Player co-op)
  • Alien Soldier (Treasure) (Asia Mega Drive release only)
  • Vectorman (BlueSky Software) (shooter platformer) (NA/ EU only)
  • Earthworm Jim (Shiny Entertainment) (shooter platformer) (NA/ EU only)
  • Mega Man: The Wily Wars/ Rockman Megaworld (Capcom) (shooter platformer)
  • Alisia Dragoon (Game Arts)

Shooters
  • Thunder Force 3 (Technosoft)
  • Super Fantasy Zone (cute 'em up)
  • Space Harrier 2 (quasi scaling sprite shooter)
  • Musha Aleste: Fullmetal Fighter Ellinor (Compile) (Japanese and Asia Mega Drive release)
  • Darius (M2/ Taito)
  • Assault Suit Leynos (Masaya Games) (Japanese and Asia Mega Drive release)
  • Slap Fight MD (Toaplan) (Japanese and Asia Mega Drive release)

Tournament Fighting Games
  • Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyou Toitsusen (Treasure) (4 Player multitap competitive) (Japanese and Asia Mega Drive release)
  • Street Fighter 2: Special Champion Edition/ Street Fighter 2: Plus (Capcom) (2 Player competitive)
  • Eternal Champions (2 Player competitive) (NA/ EU only)
  • Virtua Fighter 2 (2 Player competitive) (NA/ EU only)

Puzzle/ Party Games
  • Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine/ Puyo Puyo (Sega/ Compile) (2 Player competitive) (MBM =NA/ EU only. Asia will also receive Puyo Puyo 1)
  • Puyo Puyo Tsuu (Sega/ Compile) (2 Player competitive) (Japanese and Asia Mega Drive release)
  • Columns (2 Player competitive) (NA/EU and Asia)
  • Tetris
  • Puzzle & Action: Tant-R ( party game. Spinoff of Bonanza Bros.) (4 Player multitap competitive) (Japanese and Asia Mega Drive release)
  • Party Quiz Mega Q (multi-Player competitive) (Japanese and Asia Mega Drive release)

Sports/ Racing Games
  • Wrestleballl (Namco) (2 Player competitive) (Japanese and Asia Mega Drive release)
  • Outrun 2019 (Asia Mega Drive release only)
  • Road Rash 2 (EA)

Compilations
  • Game no Kanzume Otokuyou (a collection of 12 smaller games that was bundled with the Mega Net adapter in Japan) (I don't know which ones are multiplayer) (Japanese and Asia Mega Drive release)
This is a great list, and Darius is a massive surprise, I never expected that. I would love to play that and then get into the Darius franchise.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I thought I heard somewhere that was the case.

Don't think so. If that were the case, Spinball and Kid Chameleon wouldn't be there in the chinese menu, right?

The Asian Mini defaults to Japanese games, and I don't think there were every any official Chinese MD localizations anyhow.

They do have Korean ROMs for a few games, however.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
So the best unit to get is the Asian Version then

As always, it just comes down to which games you want and/or whether you'll be able to fully appreciate everything on a particular version--a lot of the Japanese-version exclusives are extremely text-heavy and have no English option, so if you can't read them you're probably not going to be able to play them.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Where can we pre-order the Asian version at?

It looks like a definite get, as it's a mixture of NA/EU & the Japanese mini's.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
The Asian version of the Genesis/MegaDrive Mini has the following:

From US/European Mini exclusive:

1.) Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
2.) Sonic 1
3.) Strider
4.) Wonder Boy in Monster World

From Japan Mini exclusive:

1.) Assault Suit Leynos
2.) Game no Kanzume Otokuyou
3.) Langrisser II
4.) MUSHA
5.) Powerball
6.) Puyo Puyo 2
7.) Puzzle & Action: Tant-R
8.) Slap Fight MD
9.) Snow Bros.
10.) The Revenge of Shinobi

Asian Mini exclusive:

1.) Alien Soldier
2.) OutRun 2019
3.) Puyo Puyo 1
4.) Shining Force II
5.) Sword of Vermillion

The other 23 titles are the same as what both the US/European & the Japanese versions of the mini have gotten, except for Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition which has been excluded from the Asian version.

I've pre-ordered mine at Play-Asia. It's out of stock at the moment though: https://www.play-asia.com/sega-mega-drive-mini/13/70cnyj

Oh, OK, thanks.

Last edited:

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Having Alien Soldier is pretty awesome, but the Japanese one has MUSHA, a game I would love to play!

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Alien Soldier and Shining Force 2 are the two from the Asian version I wish US got, while the JP one gets MUSHA and Revenge of Shinobi.

I guess my hope is that even if there is some weird M2 magic with the emulation/roms that there will be a way to just get games from other regions on any other region's hardware. I mean only if it isn't an SNES/NES mini situation of "just about everything works, do whatever", which is of course my main expectation.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I thought they've been selling these things at bed bath and beyond for years.
Those ones have shitty emulation, audio distortion, and lackluster libraries that are padded out with Master System and Game Gear games.

This one is made by M2 who are the best retro emulation/port developer in the world and it includes a rather comprehensive library of the best games and hidden gems including 2 games that have never been released before.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Looks like Alien Soldier and Shining Force 2 are the two from the Asian version I wish US got, while the JP one gets MUSHA and Revenge of Shinobi.

I guess my hope is that even if there is some weird M2 magic with the emulation/roms that there will be a way to just get games from other regions on any other region's hardware. I mean only if it isn't an SNES/NES mini situation of "just about everything works, do whatever", which is of course my main expectation.

apathetic The Asian version of the mini has all four of those games that you mentioned.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Brief impressions of the Mini at E3 from Digital Foundry + plus some fun development details from Hiroyuki Miyazaki

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Asian Mini back in stock at Play-Asia. Probably won't last long.
Thanks, I got my order in! Now I can cancel my NA one, as it offers nothing that I won't be getting on the Japanese + Asian versions (outside of a couple exclusives I really don't care about, such as Sonic Spinball). Plus both of these come with the six-button controllers, which the NA one doesn't. It's a win/win!

randomelder

Oct 26, 2017
""the scanline filter is a huge step up from castlevania collection, very very clean"

do we actually have any footage of the filter option selection screen anywhere? i know in the gamexplain video earlier in the thread there's some options footage that includes 4:3 and 16:9 but i didn't see anything else, even though i absolutely trust df retro when they say that.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
In the gamexplain video they talk about it, but they never enabled it. It's in the same screen were you pick the ratio, there's an option to turn scanlines on or off.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
What the shit, the price of that (before shipping) is cheaper than buying it RRP in Australia at EB.
pysZcXC.png

6jkaPIT.png

Is it possible to work out shipping on pre-orders?
Edit: Shipping is $45AUD. Fucking OUCH.

Last edited:

Geezer

Jan 29, 2018
Thanks, I've ordered one and cancelled my JPN preorder. The lack of SF2CE on the Asian mini hurts, it's my most played Mega Drive game by an extremely large margin. Hopefully I can add it if there is a hack. Otherwise I'm happy with the lineup.
I also have a soft spot for the 3 button pads as those are what I grew up with, hopefully I can find one on eBay from someone who maybe upgrades his/her pads to the Retro-Bit ones.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
This is a great list, and Darius is a massive surprise, I never expected that. I would love to play that and then get into the Darius franchise.

Thanks. Though I noticed just now that I forgot to include Light Crusader on this list, which is a North American exclusive. So I fixed that.

Darius is pretty awesome. M2 made a statement that this port is not based on any existing port (there is a home brew port of Darius 1) , nor is it based on any incomplete work. They ported the game themselves as an exclusive for this console.

It's interesting seeing new games released in 2019. The Mega SG received Ultracore. The Genesis/ Mega Drive Classic gets Darius. Tanglewood and Xeno Crisis were released in 2018.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I've seen a lot of fervor over the regional differences and while I can appreciate the differences and passion during the 10-game presentations, aren't most of you going to load your games of choice on it when it's inevitably hacked? Cuz no matter what, no one was satisfied with the NES or SNES lineups so people hacked them. I know I'm sightly disappointed that I'm not getting Alien Soldier on the JP version.
As far as I can see, the only real difference in packaging is that of a 3 or 6-button controller (and of course what console version hits your nostalgia button).

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Last edited: