• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Let's be real: the difficulty in Zero 1 and Zero 2 was honestly bullshit. Zero 1 especially for punishing you for using one of the game's main mechanics (cyber-elfs). 3 is where things actually got more balanced.

Is it true the classic and X games are all easier than the Zero games though?
Yeah it was kind of weird. It taught me to not use cyber-elves and I ended up avoiding them the entire series.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be real: the difficulty in Zero 1 and Zero 2 was honestly bullshit. Zero 1 especially for punishing you for using one of the game's main mechanics (cyber-elfs). 3 is where things actually got more balanced.

Facts

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

I dunno. Cyber Elves were a thing that I always considered to be a nice "option" for a hard action game of this sort. You wanted a sub tank or longer life bar to help you live longer? Fine, just take the rank score penalty to go with your power-up, and keep it rolling. (And in Zero 2, that just meant you had to make do without the EX Skills from the boss, but at least you still got the Elemental Chips to work with.) I could see where Inti was going with the idea of making it so the player would eventually not "need" the power-ups for future playthroughs, which is kind of a thing that MM gameplay design is all about, and I actually appreciated that. It also made for a variety of playthroughs. After all, there were specific unlocks tailored for those who went through the trouble of finding and using every Elf, too.

Rather, it's the need to level up weapons in Zero 1 and 2 that I considered truly bullshit. It basically meant that you either a) grinded against something like the towers in the first few stages in order to get your new weapons up to par (and say goodbye to your time ranking for the mission, as a result) or b) you better be willing to be hyper focused on your two main weapons so that at least they could be fully maxed out by the last few stages. Otherwise, you were stuck with a neutered move set, and who wants a Z-Saber without its triple combo?

Oct 25, 2017
Zero 1 is not unfair at all. Yes, the Cyber Elves dropping your rank because they are supposed to help beginners but also requiring expert platforming/exploration to find was paradoxal, but that was the very first iteration of the mechanic and not indicative of how fair or not the game is in regards to difficulty. And it's not like the ranks do anything, unless you want to unlock god mode.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019

In regards to 1 I kind of agree, I don't remember 2 being especially bad in that regard and I used cyber-elves regularly.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
First time I've been excited by anything Capcom's done since RE 2 Remake. Pre-ordering this ASAP.

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic
It's been a long time since I played the games, but I'm not looking forward to having to excel at the stages in order to actually get the bosses' special weapons, at least I think that's how it worked in Zero 2 and 3. Could be remembering wrong.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The underlined made me wonder so I just checked and:

Wow, after all these years, I had no idea the JP release of the first ZX actually had voiced dialogue, I thought it was just the couple of lines from the playable characters & bosses, along with the anime cutscenes. Makes me wonder why they removed it, either they ran out of space after the localization was done or they knew they weren't going to dub it and didn't feel like releasing it with just the JP audio, I dunno.

I have the PAL version so I can tell that for the PAL version they probably either cut it to spite European players or because it was cheaper this way.
But yeah the Megaman ZX clearly has Japanese samples.
Megaman in Japanese is Rockman and the "Megamerge" mechanic of the ZX games is "Rock on"
So in ZX they say "Rock on" every time you change into another form while in ZXA when you change into the A form (like just using the A living metal), the character says "Megamerge".
Because fuck continuity.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
It's been a long time since I played the games, but I'm not looking forward to having to excel at the stages in order to actually get the bosses' special weapons, at least I think that's how it worked in Zero 2 and 3. Could be remembering wrong.
Oh right, it does work like that in Zero 2. It's dumb. I personally just said "fuck it" and didn't give a shit about the special weapons, because I couldn't be assed. Really not great that they're locked behind the A/S rank.

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta A rank for the EX skills (extra moves). Weapons and elements are part of the story. Extra customization elements are parallel to your story progress.

You can cheat 2 or 3 times with the Elves that auto give you an A rank, IIRC.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Wait... is this gonna be uncensored?

The Japanese version of Zero had blood didn't it?
The Zero collection on DS was already uncensored so I would imagine that they went the easy way and just converted that version instead of tracking the BS censored versions.

Lol Zero 1 alone is fucking torture.
That game was made by actual sadist.
there's a hard mode that's laughably hard and then you can try to go for the perfect score.
Good thing is now you won't be breaking your whole system unless you think of playing on a Switch lite.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I have the PAL version so I can tell that for the PAL version they probably either cut it to spite European players or because it was cheaper this way.
But yeah the Megaman ZX clearly has Japanese samples.
Megaman in Japanese is Rockman and the "Megamerge" mechanic of the ZX games is "Rock on"
So in ZX they say "Rock on" every time you change into another form while in ZXA when you change into the A form (like just using the A living metal), the character says "Megamerge".
Because fuck continuity.
I will always lament the loss of the Rockman name and all of the musical puns it brought with it. I like almost all of the Japanese names and terms better aside from "Irregulars" and "Repliroids" (Maverick sounds way more badass tbh)

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I will always lament the loss of the Rockman name and all of the musical puns it brought with it. I like almost all of the Japanese names and terms better aside from "Irregulars" and "Repliroids" (Maverick sounds way more badass tbh)
There is definitely something special about the Japanese version of the Megaman games.
ZX is also very special full of French namedrops in the soundtrack and some names for no goddamn reason, I absolutely love it.
You're right though Maverick is a very cool sounding name though.
Also because Capcom sucks in PAL, I actually don't think they ever bothered to translate in French anything at all.
Or maybe they localised ZXA and didn't touch ZX from the US version because fuck you that's why.

Oct 25, 2017
There's blood in the Zero 1 cutscene so at least they uncensored that part

That scene also has blood in the GBA international versions and is way downplayed from the japanese version.
Collection kept the same elements for each region.

Comparison:
Mmz-differences.png

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
That scene also has blood in the GBA international versions and is way downplayed from the japanese version.
Collection kept the same elements for each region.

Comparison:
Mmz-differences.png
looking into I have no idea why I thought they changed that.
It didn't really make sense when the original game was probably modified to affect the age rating.
Oh well, still beats having to track down the Zero games 1 by 1 even back when Zero Collection was released.
With how many copies of PAL Zero 4 are in the wild, it's probably harder to find than some prototype.
e: none on amazon but I can still play roulette on ebay!
When I hunted the games back in the day I absolutely loved getting the Megaman Zero 2 box with Megaman Zero 1 inside.
Really lovely.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Man, playing ZX with a proper controller (read: Not the DS Lite's busted shoulder buttons) is gonna be a treat, damn.

Oct 25, 2017
It didn't really make sense when the original game actually predates the ESRB rating and could get away with without affecting the age rating.
That is not the case either, and is the reason they changed dialogue to use "retire" instead of "kill" or "die". The very few exceptions in Z2 where those words slipped were changed for the DS Collection.

The four games are rated E for everyone with "violence" or "cartoon violence". The same for ZX, though ZXA is E10+ for some reason.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
That is not the case either, and is the reason they changed dialogue to use "retire" instead of "kill" or "die". The very few exceptions in Z2 where those words slipped were changed for the DS Collection.

The four games are rated E for everyone with "violence" or "cartoon violence". The same for ZX, though ZXA is E10+ for some reason.
You caught before the edit (I mean ESRB is 94, I know they're old games but not that old),
I think they toned down the blood to keep the rating down, I don't think they could have gotten away with E for everyone and 7+ (or 3+ for Zero 3 because consistency) with the blood in.
they probably thought that they had to remove that or risk limiting the audience, there's really no other reason for that edit otherwise.
For a european player, let's count our blessing we actually got the games already because that was really not a given.
By the time ZXA was out, if you didn't preorder the megaman games, you probably weren't getting them.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada

Eh, Zero 1 not really since the only things cyber elves affected were rank which didn't even do anything in that game. I can definitely see the case for 2 however since EX skills were locked behind ranking which meant that you had to fight the bosses with your tiny health bar if you wanted them. Even then though it's not a huge deal IMO since the EX skills weren't all that useful in Zero 2, and only became useful in 3 since you can use them to do combos and deal extra damage to a boss. All you really needed in Zero 2 to beat bosses was the charged saber.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Neat, won't have to bring out the ds collection to replay them anymore.
Also truly hope this means that we're getting the Battle Network games next.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, I'm pretty surprised and disappointed about the complaints over the difficulty. Not to brag, but I could consistently nail S-rank throughout the series.

I think locking the Special Techniques behind A/S ranks is a great incentive to step it up--it's nowhere near as hard as the posters in this thread make it out to be. Yes, you have to learn the stage, but that creates a sort of musical playthrough of death.

Those techs are worth it, too. Kougenjin and Tenshouzan (throw blade/hadouken and sword uppercut/shoryuken) are game-changing.

my heart

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Wow, I'm pretty surprised and disappointed about the complaints over the difficulty. Not to brag, but I could consistently nail S-rank throughout the series.

I think locking the Special Techniques behind A/S ranks is a great incentive to step it up--it's nowhere near as hard as the posters in this thread make it out to be. Yes, you have to learn the stage, but that creates a sort of musical playthrough of death.

Those techs are worth it, too. Kougenjin and Tenshouzan (throw blade/hadouken and sword uppercut/shoryuken) are game-changing.

Or it is difficult because everyone has varying levels of skill. Easy for you is different for everyone else.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Five...
Dollars...
Per game...

No Switch tax.

This is a dream package.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

It's easy for someone who has practiced the game. That's like someone on NG+++ of Dark Souls saying the game is easy.

Oct 25, 2017
Or it is difficult because everyone has varying levels of skill. Easy for you is different for everyone else.
"Nowhere near as hard" isn't the same as "easy" though. While you're of course right, I do agree it's far from the sadistic challenge that people are saying it is, or that the Ex Skill system is punishing. Specially in Z3, their point is to ""min max"" your playstyle, and if you are doing that, you are probably getting at least close to A ranks anyway. If you are not, you are not going to find much use for them.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
It's easy for someone who has practiced the game. That's like someone on NG+++ of Dark Souls saying the game is easy.
As someone who despises FROM's artificially-inflated difficulty, I just don't understand these stances, especially considering ERA's overall boner for all design choices FROM. You'd think the Zero games were the lovechild of Ninja Gaiden and Soulsbourne by reading this thread. :P

But I'll respect y'all's opinions. I did grow up on Mega Man X, so maybe I subconsciously click with it.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I need that physical Switch version. Time to hit up import sites and be annoyed about it.

Definitely in the mood to break out my DS collection.

Oct 25, 2017
It's really awesome that we're getting Mega Man Zero 3 for 30 bucks and they are throwing 5 extra games in there for some reason.

I'm buying this as many times as I can, I really hope ZX/ZXA has the Japanese audio as well. I played the undub last year and it's great.