• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The collections confirm my thoughts from all these years. The Zero games are just better than the X collection of games. While X1 still might be the best game of the bunch most all of the Zero games are still really good while the X series takes a dive with each new entry.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
We already knew. I think the collection sold pretty badly though, so we're probably never getting a continuation.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
X1-X4 are really good. X4 is arguably the second best game of the series. The freedom to choose where to start after the intro stage is why I favor the X series. Felt like that was missing for much of the first two Zero games, the only ones I have played.

Far far far better music in X's favor too.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I agree. The Zero games are just a lot tighter and more consistent than the X games IMO. They also have way better controls and movement.

One is a metroidvania while another is a platformer
None of the Zero games are metroidvanias. Zero 1 is pseudo-open world since it has an interconnected map but the other 3 are all strictly level based like the X games. You might be thinking of the ZX games.

Rodento

Dec 28, 2017
Except for the first one that has garbage-tier level design, the Zero games have more consistent quality than the X series, but I prefer X's highs more than Zero's.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't say "better" but I would say that there are more good Zero games than X games (if you count ZX as part of the Zero series).

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
I waver on any of them being better than X, but yeah, they absolutely all beat X3 and onward. And the best Zero/ZX games even beat X2.
One is a metroidvania while another is a platformer
That only applies to ZX, ZXA, and kinda sort barely Zero 1 -- but just having the levels connected to one another does not a metroidvania make, imo. They're action platformers with mildly bothersome level select methods.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
As a classic MM fan, I'm giving you guys the go-ahead from my ivory tower to have this argument in our moat.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Which one is a metroidvania? I am interested
MM ZX and MM ZXA are metroidvanias layout wise. And yes the zero series is amazing. what a fucking finale like....holy shit. Really makes you appreciate the underlying themes of Megaman that run through all the way to MMZ4 and appreciate the scope and reach of Dr. Light and Dr. Wily

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer X3 to any of the zero games tbh, Zero levels are too easy.

Though the Zero bosses are way better. Used to love the challenge of getting top rank on them.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
if I love x4 which other one is worth playing? Its the only one I've played. X? X2?

I own collection 1 on switch

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I like Mega Man X4 better than any game in the Zero series, to be honest. That's not to say the Zero games aren't really good, however.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's a hard one but as much I love the Zero series I still would take the more streamlined X games over them.

if I love x4 which other one is worth playing? Its the only one I've played. X? X2?

X1 through X3 (X1 is a masterpiece), X5 and X8 after those if you are not tired. Just skip X7.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

The games most like X4 are X(most) & then X2. X4 is a bit of a weird one as it's a lot easier with more simple level layouts then the rest of the series. But yeah, off X4, X & X2 would be the next ones to play. X3 then has far larger levels and more of an emphasis on finding secrets.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The games most like X4 are X(most) & then X2. X4 is a bit of a weird one as it's a lot easier with more simple level layouts then the rest of the series. But yeah, off X4, X & X2 would be the next ones to play. X3 then has far larger levels and more of an emphasis on finding secrets.
With that said you can still beeline X3 if you don't feel like going for 100%, though I agree with becomes a lesser experience if you do so.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I respectfully disagree. Mostly because the atmosphere of the Zero games is not my favorite.

Aran

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Agree fully with this.
rejected_his_message.jpg

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
While I enjoyed the Zero series, I hardly feel any desire to go back to it. I enjoyed the simplicity of X4 a lot more. Part of the reason I didn't like X2 that much was the whole thing with the hunters that overcomplicated what should be a simple game with tight level design. The Zero series made this mistake too, which is why, overall, X4 is my favorite game in the entire MegaMan franchise.

MinionZero

Jan 14, 2018
As a quick aside, playing the Zero games via the Collection, I am very glad for the QOL updates they made. Zero is real fun, but the difficulty was ramped up harshly.

Shame ZX probably is stuck incomplete, but if they ever made a new game in the style of Zero/ZX I'd be down.

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
The Zero series they are my favorite Megaman games and while I love what Capcom did with Megaman 11 I hope they can go back to the Zero series. Gunvolt is great but I wanna play as Zero

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
X and X4 are better than any megaman zero games, but overall the zero series is more consistent. X3, X2 and X5 are just kinda of ok, and X6,X7 are so bad i dont even want to talk about it.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i recently bought the collection and went straight to ZX. was always interested in that and Advent but i never got around to them

i remember the Zero games as fun little diversions that could feel cheap at times (challenge) but i was in college and my dormmate and i were juggling 500 GBA roms at once. i'll give em another shot when i wrap up Advent