• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
So let's talk about star force they series with 7 entries but only 3 actual entries.

synopsis taken from wikipedia
In the game, the players are now allowed to explore and go to various different towns and, they are also free to explore the newly introduced "Wave World" where the action also takes place.[9] Star Force deviates greatly from the standard Mega Man fare because it draws almost exclusively on elements from Battle Network, making very few references or allusions to the other Mega Man series. However, Capcom has produced Star Force as a stand-alone series, meaning players can fully enjoy the title without being familiar with the Battle Network series.

Set in the fictional year 220X,[10] emphasis on internet technology has lessened, and instead, the world has become networked through use of EM waves. Though cyber worlds and NetNavis still exist in Star Force, human dependency on them has greatly decreased, and people no longer have Navi companions. Three large satellites orbiting the Earth—Pegasus, Leo, and Dragon—power the EM Wave World that exists around the Earth's atmosphere, keeping the world networked. While the EM Wave World is normally invisible to the human eye, a special piece of eyewear called the Visualizer (possessed by the series' protagonist) allows a human to see this other world. However, like with the cyber worlds of Battle Network, EM Wave Viruses inhabit the EM Wave World, causing problems in everyday life.

In Battle Network, people operated PErsonal Terminals (PETs) to constantly interact with the network. Similar devices called Transers are used in the Star Force world. Transers are compatible with Battle Cards, and when swiped through, they provide means to deleting viruses that infect the EM Wave World and other electronic devices. A group of Satella Police also exist, dedicated to stopping virus attacks and thwarting criminals who manipulate the EM Wave World in order to break the law.

Furthermore, there exists an alien planet known as "Planet FM," inhabited by extraterrestrial beings called FM-ians. FM-ians can traverse in both worlds, and also possess the ability to physically merge with human beings through a process called "Electromagnetic Wave Change" (電波変換, denpa henkan). Other than lending a human the FM-ian's powers, this process also transforms an ordinary human into an "EM Wave Human," allowing him or her to freely operate in the EM Wave World (as well as cyber networks within specific electronic devices).

The protagonist of Star Force is Geo Stelar, the son of a famous scientist and astronaut. He has an encounter with a rogue FM-ian known as Omega-Xis who takes residency in Geo's Transer. When the two go through an Electromagnetic Wave Change they form an entity that is known as Mega Man.

Whereas a large focus in the Battle Network series were the NetNavis (who are mostly based on Robot Masters from the Classic Mega Man series), Star Force focuses on FM-ians based on many real-life constellations.

This series in my opinion isn't really that bad just lets say mismanaged, the story itself is good but really generic shounen and geo is a good protag for the story they are trying to tell, which also connects to the gameplay. the deisgns for the bosses and characters aren't really terrible except for a few, and using constellations, nazca lines, and then card suits allowed for each game to have a relative theme to each game if only they kept it through and i would allaborate. heck even the megaman design and it's actual super forms were good

And the stories themselves each had a them that geo needed to develop friendship, trust, and purpose.

the gameplay itself is a serious downgrade but it isn't overly horrible and it did allow for better animation when it came to the character itself.

I would recommend these games to megaman fans

But it is not without flaws, Like the mismanagement. Lets get one thing clear there was no reason these games needed multiple versions the differences between them are negligible, to the point that they are non existent and they could have all released as one game and there would be no issue. The reason they did this was so they could implement this brother system idea. basically you make friends who had the other versions of star force add their friend to the game and then you could access the other super forms. They fixed this in other games by allowing you to input codes to access them or obtain rogue forms which are forms only capable of being accessed through not having brothers. not to mention there is only one canon version to the story, pegasus, to zerker, to black ace (atleast he doesn't lose the powers technically from zerker to black ace some noise forms use zerker's sword so that is nice)

Then the biggest issue is the boss recycling, these games constantly recycled bosses every game, and it wasn't simply optional side bosses both taurus fire and queen ophiuca, were used as story bosses again, but i would be less upset about it if ophiuca was brought back for all three games keeping the whole once bonded they are never unbonded thing they were going with but nope she wasn't brought back in star force 3 which literally the only game it would have been appropriate to bring her back.

but yeah star force is one of those games that would have been better served not having multiple versions so maybe it could have been better received or not play a huge part in megaman burnout of the early 2000's

Last edited:

EdgeWilder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hated this cause in my eyes it killed battle netwrok... even tho i knew it ran its course. I really just wasnt a fan of the 1 back row behind the back fighting style.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Star Force is honestly so damn underrated. I do agree that the multiple versions hurt the game a bit after dozens of back to back MMBN releases, and I vaguely remember that at the time the combat perspective was received really badly by a lot of MMBN fans. Still need to actually get my hands on the third game one day...

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
People were really burned out and negative towards the series at this point. I felt each game improved pretty well between sequels and if someone just started with these games without context of games before, their impression would have been much better.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I got the impression that both Battle Network and Star Force got suitable conclusions, which is kind of a rarity for Mega Man. I am almost completely unfamiliar with Star Force other than videos I've watched so I'm really wanting a collection in the near future so I can play through them. Definitely seems underrated and that they did poorly due to the oversaturation of the IP broadly in the 00s

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I loved them. Not as much as MMBN but that was probably just because of the similarity.

But the idea of them sort of being superheroes and needing to find a secluded spot to change was really cool.
And the way the "digital world" or whatever it was called here hooked into the real world was really cool

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've always loved the star force series. Rebought my games a few years back in preservation and for replays. Hopefully we eventually get a starforce collection

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
The problem was that they cut back so much from the battle system of EXE that by the time they refined the new combat to the point where it was good on its own merits in the third game, Capcom was entering its low period and the series was over.

OP
OP
AnimaRize

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
I got the impression that both Battle Network and Star Force got suitable conclusions,
battle network yes star force technically yes.
while star force three could be a suitable conclusion for star force it wasn't really ever meant to conclude it there was a 4th star force game in planning even got halfway throu development but was cancelled do to megamans poor sales at the time. so far the only thing we really know about it was this concept image

here's the concept of it taken from the megaman wiki

Mega Man Star Force 4 was the canceled sequel to Mega Man Star Force 3. It entered production between 2009-2010, however it was cancelled midway through due to the underwhelming sales of Star Force 3 and Rockman.EXE Operate Shooting Star. It would have taken the series into a more mature tone and featured an older teenaged Geo Stelar with a new character, Kazuma, a descendant of Lan Hikari (and by extension his wife Mayl and their son Patch), becoming outlaw hackers who are sought after by the Satella Police for 8,000,000 Zenny a piece. Hacking was to become a large part of the plot or gameplay, akin to the Noise from Star Force 3. Other details are unknown.[1] It was discovered on June 14, 2019.
If this is true this was going to connect star force and battle network closer than any other megaman game was at the time outside x and zero, and would have prabably been 2 star force megaman, actually making the concept of 2 versions make sense

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the first one but I never beat it because I just could not stand the story/gameplay loop of sitting through slow and mundane dialogue text every time something bad happens and Mega has to fix it, rinse and repeat ad nauseum.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
while star force three could be a suitable conclusion for star force it wasn't really ever meant to conclude it there was a 4th star force game in planning even got halfway throu development but was cancelled do to megamans poor sales at the time. so far the only thing we really know about it was this concept image

If this is true this was going to connect star force and battle network closer than any other megaman game was at the time outside x and zero, and would have prabably been 2 star force megaman, actually making the concept of 2 versions make sense

yeah I guess this is basically when *all* Mega Man stuff was shelved. Hopefully after the inevitable collections of the remaining sub-series we will get continuations of Mega Man beyond just the classic series. I love 11, but I'm personally hankering for X9 more than any other potential game and I know a lot of people would do anything for a Legends 3, ZX3, or Star Force 4.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Starforce 3 stands shoulder to shoulder with the best of the series imo

Man, this hurts more than Legends 3 for me. That character design is so good

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
My main problem with Starforce is it just felt like a regression from BN in the category that mattered most, gameplay.

Admittedly BN didn't start great itself. They didn't really nail down the flow of combat until 3, and still took another 3 games before they reached the perfection that was 6. And the start of every BN game was always a bit of a slog. But once you got going in 6, combat was fast. No delays in moving from panel to panel, animations played out quickly, it was a slick game when you were pushing it, and the post-game bosses could test you.

Starforce's behind the back camera angle, change to the grid (just moving left and right rather than 4 directional), and general switch to 3D just made the game feel a lot slower and it suffered for it, and it really didn't feel like it got much better over the course of the next 2 games.

Oh yeah, and a triple version release for SF1 was straight up bullshit.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I actually thought about these games a few weeks ago, and was surprised that I couldn't find them in my collection. I must have sold them at some point and forgot about it.

It's a shame, because I really though the series was underrated. Would like to play through them at some point again, but it seems like they've shot up in price.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Starforce 3 is a must play, and it's basically what MMBN3 was for the Battle Networks series, a perfection of the gameplay formula the 3 games were going for. People didn't give it as much of a chance to grow into it's own thing like they gave the BN series.

OP
OP
AnimaRize

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
I actually thought about these games a few weeks ago, and was surprised that I couldn't find them in my collection. I must have sold them at some point and forgot about it.

It's a shame, because I really though the series was underrated. Would like to play through them at some point again, but it seems like they've shot up in price.
yeah it would be hard to get them now. dragon and ninja seem to be the most expensive, this and battle network really needs affordable collections

Last edited:

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
I love BN... and I enjoyed star force.

It was a fun romp that I don't regret playing.