• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mega Man or Soulsborne?

• Mega Man

Votes: 210 69.8%
  • Soulsborne

Votes: 91 30.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Hi guys, this is my first time creating a thread, I hope you like it.
So, last week I bought the 30 year anniversary collection of Mega Man and been playing since them and having a blast.
I've been playing Mega Man since I was a kid so it's one of my favorite series of all time.
That being said, I really like Soulsborne too.
Since both franchises are known for being brutal, punishing you for your mistakes, not always leaving room for mistakes and teaching you how to play it while dying, I began to wonder which one people think it's harder.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Megaman.

I think MMX5 or 6 are way harder than Souls. Classic MM3 too. MM ofcourse has much more games, and some of them are kind of lenient but overall I feel MM is harder.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Mega man, and not for good reasons either. Souls is a much more tolerable and learnable difficulty imo.

Nov 13, 2017
Mega Man has cheap deaths and unfair difficulty to increase the length of the game's play time, as most NES games did. This is a great moment where "tough but fair" perfectly describes why Souls is the best kind of difficult.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Mega Man is harder. More unfair situations and more stringy with health. Also cannot grind or summon or find a Drake Sword equivalent.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think MM9 (from the same gen as Demon's Souls) was both hard and fair though. Great design and perhaps the best classic MM for a reason. MM11 however was easier.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Mega Man easily.
The furthest I ever got on one was the bosses on MM3 that used the abilities from the second games robot masters.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
For me? Any side-scrolling bullet shooter anything is much harder than anything I've ever accomplished in Dark Souls. I know when I'm not good enough.

+1 for Mega Man.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all are crazy if you think Megaman is "unfair" There is a rhyme and reason to everything in Megaman games and the majority of the classic ones are pretty well balanced experiences. It just takes a lot more memorization than souls games because Souls games aren't hard. The reputation that Dark Souls and its ilk are "so hard" is and has always been smoke and mirrors. Megaman is *actually* a challenging game.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I'm flabbergasted by the poll. Mega Man patterns are much easier to remember than souls patterns. Hell I have the Zero series down to muscle memory and that's usually considered the harder games if you want to actually get good ranks.

Oct 27, 2017
Mega Man has cheap deaths and unfair difficulty to increase the length of the game's play time, as most NES games did. This is a great moment where "tough but fair" perfectly describes why Souls is the best kind of difficult.

I've never felt this about Mega Man. There are a few of the original series games I've never been able to beat (9, 10, and 11 on anything but baby mode), but it is all about learning patterns and enemy placements. Even something like Yellow Devil, which a lot of people seem to think is really difficult, is quite simple after repeated plays.

The thing with Mega Man games is that they are very short and easy to internalize. Though they may be difficult at first, once you've got one of the games down, it becomes very easy.

Souls games playthroughs I'm sure can also be perfected, but the games are of significantly larger scope. For that reason I'd say Souls are harder by default.

Now, if we had like a forty to fifty hour Mega Man game...god help us all.

OP
OP
Swift_Gamer

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Y'all are crazy if you think Megaman is "unfair" There is a rhyme and reason to everything in Megaman games and the majority of the classic ones are pretty well balanced experiences. It just takes a lot more memorization than souls games because Souls games aren't hard. The reputation that Dark Souls and its ilk are "so hard" is and has always been smoke and mirrors. Megaman is *actually* a challenging game.
I actually think the first Mega Man is really unfair, because it gives you no room to breath, you're constantly being attacked, Mega Man slides before stopping, you have spikes below you and you can't see it before falling into that screen. Mega Man started being fair on 4, at least to me.

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmmm, I haven't beaten Megaman 9 yet, I can't beat Wily for some reason. I've beaten MM1-6, Rockman & Forte, MMX1-6, MMZ1-3 though.

On the other hand, I've beaten DeS, DaS1-3, BB, and Sekiro.

I guess Megaman wins?

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm flabbergasted by the poll. Mega Man patterns are much easier to remember than souls patterns. Hell I have the Zero series down to muscle memory and that's usually considered the harder games if you want to actually get good ranks.
Megaman generally requires more precise execution. That alone already makes it a lot harder than Souls. While MM has a lot of room for error, you are also more likely to make mistakes.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'd say Mega Man as they were originally released, BUT that difficult goes down drastically if you allow for reasonable restore point usage like the VC releases. It goes back up again if you try an beat it all with just the mega buster.

Soulsbourne games usually have some time consuming alternate win condition for bosses, whether grinding or something else. Mega Man doesn't.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both have some cheap horse shit on their initial playthroughs

Megaman is usually easier to recognize the right path/action on your 2nd or 3rd attempt.

Knowing/Recognizing/Reacting to the right path/action in a Soulborne game is always hard even if you know about it.

Megaman games are easier on repeat playthrough by far, boss order trivializes the bosses. Your milage in the Wiley stages may vary.

Really confused how anyone could say Megaman is harder. I could pick up Megaman 2 right now and beat it in an hour with no deaths while any Souls game would end my life numerous times per attempt.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
mega man 1 is way harder than any souls game

Both have some cheap horse shit on their initial playthroughs

Megaman is usually easier to recognize the right path/action on your 2nd or 3rd attempt.

Knowing/Recognizing/Reacting to the right path/action in a Soulborne game is always hard even if you know about it.

Megaman games are easier on repeat playthrough by far, boss order trivializes the bosses. Your milage in the Wiley stages may vary.

Really confused how anyone could say Megaman is harder. I could pick up Megaman 2 right now and beat it in an hour with no deaths while any Souls game would end my life numerous times per attempt.
mega man 2 is the easy one

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Honestly, they're both pretty similar in the way they ask you to learn patterns and traps, but also give you ways to make your own difficulty and bypass some annoying areas.

I'll give the nod to souls for the additional complexity of navigating a 3D space with all that, but I think they're pretty even in that regard.

Oct 27, 2017
Mega Man by a long shot. I beat Ludwig my first try but I couldn't even beat the first boss of the Mega Man 11 demo lol.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
but if i screw up in souls i have far more leeway then in megaman.
You usually die in 3-4 hits in a Souls game. In Mega Man you can take a lot of hits before dying and you can easily farm hp by offscreening enemies because the hp drop rate ain't really rare. There's also the E Tank and N tank you can use for full restores.

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You do exaxtly the samething in souls with enemy locations and how to react to their attacks
Bosses in Souls generally have a ballpark behavior, wherein you don't have to memorize every single movement, you just need to get the general of gist of it. Most of the time you can just wing it and still come out on top, because most bosses have a lot of breathing room for you to observe.

Megaman on the other hard, you're locked in a single screen with hardly any breathing room and unlike Dark Souls where enemies attack in a humanly logical manner, bosses in Megaman can zigzag around the screen and attack in any possible sequence or pattern such that you have to memorize each move specifically.

Except Megaman 6. Whooboy what a steaming pile of excrement Megaman 6 is. Difficulty does make or break a game, and in Megaman 6's case, it was just too damn easy.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually think the first Mega Man is really unfair, because it gives you no room to breath, you're constantly being attacked, Mega Man slides before stopping, you have spikes below you and you can't see it before falling into that screen. Mega Man started being fair on 4, at least to me.
That doesn't mean its unfair that just means you need to learn how to respond. No damage speed runs wouldn't be possible otherwise. You've got tools for every encounter. And that's kind of the thing that exposes Dark Souls honestly to me. Most of the enemies in souls games sans bosses are entirely inconsequential to you actually beating the stage/area. You can just dead-ass sprint through most areas in souls games especially when you know the layout after a few runs. Megaman actively forces you to deal with all that shit in a real way.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Only Mega Man i would call hard is the first one, and the Mega Man & Bass spin off. Maybe 7 but it would still be a reach. Everything else, includind X and Zero series, really aren't.

Souls games are harder in general but there's also some hyperbole regarding the games difficulty.

Ninja Gaiden or Battletoads stuff are a lot harder than both, in comparison.

Also, Contra III. Can't think of a harder game, i can barely complete the first stage lol

Last edited:

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
When you lose in Souls, you get patted on the back and told to try again.

When you lose in Mega Man you are beaten into the ground and told what a worthless maggot you are.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I've always found Mega Man extremely easy. I can't play s soulsborne game for 5 minutes before putting it down and losing all interest.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
You usually die in 3-4 hits in a Souls game. In Mega Man you can take a lot of hits before dying and you can easily farm hp by offscreening enemies because the hp drop rate ain't really rare. There's also the E Tank and N tank you can use for full restores.
ok, i am still more frustrated by megamans memorization then dark souls. Its not necessarily that much harder in mega man, but its far more tedious for me, and i have more moves at my disposal in dark souls. its why i prefer the x series, there is less memorization and more leeway with jumps since i have more moves at my disposal.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Mega Man for sure. Soulsborne games always have some way around the challenge if you experiment and play around enough. Mega Man forces you to brute force your way through and tackle the challenges head on (unless you glitch or course).