• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The short answer is I stand with lozjam.

The long answer is that there are so many Mega Man games that you're bound to find enough of them to make you a big fan of the whole franchise, and that's obviously something Mega Man can't rely on anymore.

Mega Man Classic has a lovely aesthetic, I would certainly, say, read an ongoing comic book adaptation of Mega Man that gives character focus to all the Robot Masters and a slew of interesting new characters as well as taking the shitty FMV game and turning it into the best arc of the whole series, but playing these samey games over and over? Couldn't be me. Mega Man X was a good time but it's one nearly 30 year old SNES game and for all the coolness of the Blade Runner by way of Shonen Anime world, eight games later and none of it meant anything. I can't see why I'd be excited for a hypothetical X9 when it's just gonna be X Another One; when you die for as long as Mega Man has, especially X, that changes the kind of expectations you have.

Mega Man was always changing and that it's not anymore, that it doesn't have enough life in it to change, I think that's real sad. There was always some new face of the franchise and now that's just gone, which I guess makes it a kinda fun glimpse into the future of Sonic the Hedgehog.

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
Zero 3 just has everything. Tons of Stages, Great boss fights, THE RECOIL ROD, fixed and has the best version of the Cyber-Elf system, has the best combat/combo system, EASILY has the best story of the entire series, nailed the scoring system, incredible final stages, etc.

Don't forget the weird e-reader cards! Why yes, I do want to fill the Resistance Base with cats.
I know they decided that the changes to Zero's body are strictly art style changes, and canonically / in-universe Zero has the same appearance they had in X, but this fanart has me wishing that Omega had Zero's original look. Cartridge space be damned.

WDIvfsE.png

I just can't believe how good it is, the only part I'm not crazy about is that one underwater level with the "remember these doors" part but the new Collection fixes it by making it easier thanks to the "save point" locations which is pretty smart imo.

I do really like them dropping little hints about the lore in the Sunken Library, but yeah, if you're unlucky it just gets incredibly annoying real fast.

Gonna make the "Megaman gets just enough recognition" thread to complete the circle
Which is actually the more grounded opinion of the three.

Not sure I can get behind Mega Man centrism, but we're really filling the spectrum of opinions here.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
Mega Man needs a reboot, or a new series. Maybe they could try and bring the best elements of the original games to 3D in a 3D action platformer.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Not sure I can get behind Mega Man centrism, but we're really filling the spectrum of opinions here.
Well, centrism is a factor not just of how much recognition you think the series deserve, but how much recognition it actually has (although technically all three positions hinge on that), which is far from objective either. I personally think Mega Man is one of the most beloved series out there; e.g. he's consistently one of the most requested characters in crossover games (which is why him getting into Smash was met with such enthusiasm).

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Hostility
Can we stop arguing about Mega Man, which is a decent series, and focus our hatred on Sonic and how it's always been a mediocre series?
This shit again? You people don't get enough shitting up every possible Sonic thread with the same garbage, tired hot take, you need to derail other threads about entirely different games? How much toxicity is enough for you people? Fuck off with this trash.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
You know what game in the Mega Man series deserves more recognition? Starforce 3

HD-wallpaper-ace-and-joker-black-bruh-force-man-mega-red-robot-star.jpg

It's the "Battle Network 3" of the Starforce series. People didn't give it the same time to grow that they gave BN because it was a direct successor with a different battle system.

I'm glad and amazed that Battle Network 6 PVP is still alive online. It's a fucking joy to watch and it's crazy how strategic it is.

Mega Man needs a reboot, or a new series. Maybe they could try and bring the best elements of the original games to 3D in a 3D action platformer.

Eh they can just do a new series. They already have two timelines with OG and BN being the start and even within the timelines there has been vast changes (world got destroyed/jacked up like 2 times in the OG timeline). Honestly they should just expand on the Legends concept if they aren't going to do a sequel, they've already successfully brought Mega Man to 3D.

Though a part of me would definitely be interested on a Platinum/DMC styled take on Zero or a character like Zero.

Last edited:

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
0jjSlz7.png

The story Andrew will tell you in the first Zero game is probably the best writing in the entire series, disguising itself as inessential NPC dialog, so I'm just gonna post it here.

Andrew said:
I may not look it, but I used to be a handsome Reploid. I was very popular with the ladies.
It was the night of the full moon when it happened...
I was carrying containers in a warehouse at the harbor, when I heard a song drifting over the night air.
I looked up to find a beautiful lady with long hair singing in front of the crowd that had gathered at the harbor.
I was amazed to find that I was deeply moved by her song though my body and mind are made of machines...
After spending time together and talking, we fell in love, and eventually started living together...
Andrew said:
As time went by, she grew older and older, while I remained the same.
She came to resent how she looked, and began avoiding me.
So, I asked Ciel to modify me to be what I am now... So that we could be together.
She has long since passed away, but the memory of her will never be erased from my memory chip...

I really need to find the Akira Kitamura interview where he talks about the intended loneliness of Mega Man now (lol).

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
One thing I need to mention is how good the controls/physics are in the Mega Man Zero games. I don't know what exactly it is about these games, but there's just something that makes the movement "feel" so good and enjoyable to play around with. Everything's just so quick and snappy and yet despite the speed you still feel like you have complete control of Zero. They're honestly my favourite controls/physics in any 2d platformer.

BC70eG.gif

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
Well, centrism is a factor not just of how much recognition you think the series deserve, but how much recognition it actually has (although technically all three positions hinge on that), which is far from objective either. I personally think Mega Man is one of the most beloved series out there; e.g. he's consistently one of the most requested characters in crossover games (which is why him getting into Smash was met with such enthusiasm).

Sorry, that was intended to just be indirectly mean to political centrists, not you guys.
I'm all for it, it's just nice to see people talking about Mega Man.

One thing I need to mention is how good the controls/physics are in the Mega Man Zero games. I don't know what exactly it is about these games, but there's just something that makes the movement "feel" so good and enjoyable. They're honestly my favourite controls/physics in any 2d platformer.

BC70eG.gif

God all of the speedruns of the Zero games are crazy, 3 especially with what you can do with the recoil rod.
Zero just feels so precise to control, even compared to X.

TrashyPanda

Oct 28, 2017
The other thread got me to try the series out again, and I've now beaten both MM2 and 3. Both phenomenal! I'm near the end of 4 as well and I'm really glad the series finally clicked with me. All it took was skipping the first game.

Oct 27, 2017
Thread making me want to play a Mega Man game on my week off. A few random thoughts (and I agree with the premise of the thread):

1. Coming from someone who was primarily a fan of the original and X series, I think the Zero series has the undisputed best gameplay of the whole franchise. That said, I've never been able to get past the end of Zero 2 so to this day I've only played through the first game (and I only actually owned Zero 1 back upon it's original release—didn't own the others until the Collection on DS.

2. As someone who finds Mega Man 1 very easy, why are 9 and 10 (and 11 in all but easy mode) so damn difficult?

3. Sorry, but I've always been completely uninterested in Mega Man Legends. I've tried to play it a number of times over the years, but it does absolutely nothing for me.

4. Though I am not a huge fan of the games, I do appreciate where they were going with the ZX series as far as gameplay and structure go. I'd love to see them continue down that path and make a fully fleshed out ZX3.

Last edited:

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Sonic has always been bad :( I hate to be the bearer of bad news to everyone :(
I use to roll my eyes at this stuff but I helped my kids with some of classic titles recently and realized how much stupid design was in some of the levels in the 16-bit titles, I guess I just ignored it when playing as a kid.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I don't like how they regressed in graphics and in tools for Mega Man 9 and 10.
The slide and charge shot were sick, there was no reason to remove them from Mega Man's kit.
Yes I know Proto Man has those abilities (along with his drawbacks) and Bass can shoot in 8 directions. Just felt like that made Mega Man the most boring character to play as in those games.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
It's legimately great to see a good amount of people still love the IP. Hats off to you OP and no hard feelings at all.

Oct 25, 2017
It's legimately great to see a good amount of people still love the IP. Hats off to you OP and no hard feelings at all.

I have two Mega Man games in my top ten favourite games of all time and tried to find out something about the Legacy Collections in your thread, I get that we talk about games more than actually playing them (well, most of us) but some of us are interested.

I asked about catching up for some matches in Smash threads. Doesn't happen.

The thread celebrating Super Mario Maker 2's multiplayer modes that instantly descended into moaning about online latency. Tried to ask about some time to try this out. Crickets.

It's not an issue that people will spend more time being negative (what version of Dark Souls should I play? Not the Switch version.....ok that doesn't answer my question though) it's actually something I need clarifying about the Legacy Collection games.

The best way to play Mega Man? That should be something that people actively want to share, I would think.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
You make a fantastic case, OP!

The fatigue, the sense of sameyness, OP mentioned didn't hit me at all during my classic MM kick a few years ago. Removed from release cycles, from these or those expectations, from comparisons to other games that were doing different things, going through MM1-11 was a joyful, frictionless experience. You get to experience a bunch of short, good-great games that do iterate in their own ways. Sure, there is a valid criticism to be made on the lack of big innovations for example, but I never felt a desire for these (again, short) games I was deeply enjoying to radically change. As someone who didn't have much exposure to classic MM beforehand, the novelty actually took a pretty long time to wear off, tbh, if it ever really did.

MM6, as the last NES game in the series, is exhibit A for me for how a very good game can suffer in perception from the sense of being redundant. I found it totally lovable as a last hurrah before heading into the 16-bit era, yet I see it get so, so little love.

My Mega Man Franchise To Do List after feeling inspired by the OP:

1). Replay MMX1-4, and finally play MMX5-6 (perhaps others?)

2). Play MML for the first time. Replay MML2 for the first time in well over a decade

3). Give the Battle Network series a proper go. I remember emulating the first one back in the day, and don't think I beat it, but I definitely have a very positive impression of the series

GroovySnake

Jun 10, 2018
USA
Always great to see appreciation and love for Mega Man. Was the NES ones that really did it for me, but it's all good times, everybody has their favs. I love bands like The Protomen inspired by Mega Man, and cool covers performed live by bands like Powerglove and Bit Brigade. So cool to see crowds of people over the years jammin' to Mega Man, and with that nice nostalgia.

Like some mentioned, I'd love to see a new 3D take on Mega Man, really give it the AAA treatment. Put your coolest devs on it Capcom, make us proud.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
BN was one of those games I really could not grok when I first played them, and found them insanely hard. I should give them another shot.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Love this thread.

None of the 8-bit Mega Man games are bad.

Mega Man 4 is massively underrated, only praised for it's soundtrack but lambasted for having sillier enemy designs and "ruining the challenge" by giving Mega Man a charge shot. I was having too much fun to notice. The level designs (maybe not Ringman), the new mechanics and yes the amazing soundtrack, that's what makes this game hold up so well.

Mega Man 5 gets a ton of love so I don't need to defend that one. (Fuck yeah Proto Man!!)

I'm going to replay Mega Man 6 soon to see if it holds up as well as the others. I think it gets a pretty mixed reaction as well, people dog on the robot masters and even the soundtrack but I remember really liking it when I was a kid.

Mega Man 8 has lots of issues but I don't care. I fucking love it. I won't argue with folks that don't but it hits such a weird, sweet spot for me as a 2-D PlayStation side scroller with an anime-heavy look and soundtrack.

Mega Man 9 is still fantastic. MM10 is good too. MM11 is wonderful.

I love this series.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
BN was one of those games I really could not grok when I first played them, and found them insanely hard. I should give them another shot.

I've completed the first three games (at least a few times for 2 and 3) but I've never felt like I was especially good at them. The final battles, in particular, were massive difficulty hurdles for me and the postgame content was too tough to be fun. Whenever I read up on strategies or deck suggestions, it makes me realize how little I really understood the battle system. I'm still planning on replaying 3 again at some point.

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
I'm a lifelong Mega Man fan since I got the first game with my NES for Christmas. So many amazing games across the years.

There's definitely a small skill barrier of entry to enjoy the games, especially the Zero series, but they're worth it.