• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
My favorite music is in 2, 3, and 5 (seriously underrated soundtrack AND game, if you ask me).

I love 9's soundtrack but AMEN about 5. Seriously underrated in game quality and soundtrack.

Hell yeah, fellow Mega Man 5 fans! It's seriously so unfairly overlooked and underrated. Not only does it have a killer soundtrack (perhaps my favorite in the Classic series), it's got some of the series' best level designs as well -- I'm looking at you, Gravity Man.

Laypeople like to talk about Capcom starting to run out of steam and/or ideas for the series starting with Mega Man 4, but I couldn't disagree more. 5 and 6 are especially good and have aged better than some aspects of the "untouchable" Mega Man 2 -- the Wily Castle portion, mainly. Still don't know how/why Mega Man 2's Wily Castle gets a pass from so many people. The level design falls off a cliff right around the Guts Dozer and Boobeam Trap stages.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Guess I'm waiting til tomorrow. Had the game ready for pick up near my university and my brother forgot to pick it up after class. A 40 minute drive is not worth the gas and miles to pick it up.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Finished it a while ago, a super solid entry in the MM canon and excellent franchise revival that hopefully sets the tone for many more sequels to come. Best thing I can say about it is that as soon as I finished it I wanted to jump into Mega Man 12 immediately. Only minus is what other people have mentioned already, which is that the Wily Castle part of the game is pretty short and doesn't live up to the Robot Master stages. Personal pet peeve:

No Protoman in sight. :(

Now to play again in Superhero mode with Japanese voices and alternate soundtrack! Plus there are all those bonus challenges...of which there are a lot.
I love 9's soundtrack but AMEN about 5. Seriously underrated in game quality and soundtrack.
No doubt, top 3 in the NES era with MM2 and MM3 rather easily.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
What the hell is the 2nd lava chase part in Torch Man's stage? I came to that stage with 9!! continues and still couldn't make it past that part.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
The mini bosses can be tough but i realized you can shit on that one just by using power gear block drop. Block drop is probably the best ability in the game.

A lot of truth here. Especially useful for Blast Man's annoying as hell roller-coaster miniboss. It's a great ability.

Impact Man's weapon is okay for certain things, Acid Man's seems pretty underwhelming because it doesn't block contact damage and there are few areas where I've needed a projectile shield so far, but at least it has decent ammo unlike most shield weapons in the series.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Acid Man was the last stage I beat so I haven't used his weapon match.

Impact Man's weapon is my favorite. It's like you have a dash and an air dash in the game, and It kills so many regular enemies in one hit, even armored ones (if gear'd up).

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Tundra Man's weapon can straight up one hit KO it if you use it right when both coasters are directly above and under you.

Really? That's awesome. I still haven't got Tundra Man down yet. I went Block > Acid > Impact > Blast but I've kind of been going between different stages just to try them all first.

I also like the (perhaps unintentional?) callbacks to Mega Man 1:

Fire Man > Torch Man
Elec Man > Fuse Man
Ice Man > Tundra Man
Bomb Man > Blast Man

The weaknesses are the same.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, feels good that MM is back.

That said, the game is whooping my ass to the moon. My ego with the series is way too big to put the difficulty to anything below Normal but---ahem *takes Trump's tone* 'it's ok.'

Seriously though, I'm enjoying this new content. It's probably because it's new content that I'm rushing like that, I'm used to always replaying the old stuff. :lol

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I've played for 2 hours now and successfully got Game Over in all 8 stages! I wish there were an intro stage like 7/8 had so I could at least say I beat something. -_-;

Made it to 1 robot master (Tundra Man) and to/past 3 mini-bosses. Does every stage have a mini-boss? Oh an did Capcom put those things that slide across the floor and speed up when you're on their level in enough stages? I dun think they put those in enough stages.

At least you can slide through boss gates! Take that jumping fans!

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Impact Man's stage is made by someone with a lot of hate inside him.

These motherfuckers who throws their pickaxe with such accuracy and these fucking missile cones deserve every single death/respawn cycle they got.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quick tip that might be helpful to a lot of people. In the settings there is an auto fire feature you can assign to any button. It allows you to fire a spree of shots with the press of a button. Very useful and feels great to use.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
This was some damn good Mega Man, especially coming from a team with little to no prior experience making entries in this style. I've got a small list of quibbles*, but the mediocre soundtrack is my only serious knock against the game. Looking forward to spending more time with it, and hopefully some of the obvious DLC possibilities happen.

Forget gategate, they fucked up the disappearing block sound effect. This is unforgivable.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
God damn I can't beat Wily Stage 1. I just... always fall down a pit and then that's it. Wasted about 30 lifes trying to beat that stage...

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact you can map the slide to a separate button is a godsend. Having to do the button combinations always slowed me down, especially for a fast action game like this.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My copy won't arrive until tomorrow, so I've been messing around with Legacy Collection 2 to pass the time.

I've never played Mega Man 8 before, but it's....kind of great? Every level feels really unique from a gameplay standpoint. I'm actually really surprised at how much I'm enjoying it. Those horrible cutscenes led me to believe the game wasn't very good, but I was wrong. Wish I had known this 20 years ago.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
My copy won't arrive until tomorrow, so I've been messing around with Legacy Collection 2 to pass the time.

I've never played Mega Man 8 before, but it's....kind of great? Every level feels really unique from a gameplay standpoint. I'm actually really surprised at how much I'm enjoying it. Those horrible cutscenes led me to believe the game wasn't very good, but I was wrong. Wish I had known this 20 years ago.
MM8 is underrated.

It's a bit on the easy side, but it plays solid and is gorgeous.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Does saving keep your Wily Fortress progress if you quit the game or do you have to do it all in one run?

I just played Mega Man 9 last week and the Wily Fortress needed to be started over just because I went to the shop to buy E-Tanks and I wanted to scream.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Ohhh finally reached the boss in Wily 1....................................................................................................
Does this thing even have a weakness? Tried all weapons and only found one that did 2 dmg and I am not doing this god forbidden doding sequence 16 times in a row.

Yort

Oct 28, 2017
I've played a tonne of Mega Man this summer with both (well, 4 I guess) collections on Switch, but 11 is giving me a lot of trouble. These stages are long, and some of the checkpoints are a long slog back to the mid boss.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017

They're "unique," all right, but too atypically gimmicky for my taste. The snowboarding portions of Frost Man's stage, the boring puzzles of Sword Man's stage, the maze portions of Astro Man's stage, etc., etc. I've always preferred the pre-Mega Man 5 games for keeping these extraneous elements to a minimum. The presence of these sections in 8 also makes the stages feel very long, as do the numerous mini-bosses.

It's still classic Mega Man, though, and the graphics are a sight to behold, so it's not terrible by any means (not as bad as the worst games of the X series, for instance). Rockman and Forte made a better and more tightly designed game out of those graphics, though, even if the animations were neutered in the process. Plus, the PS -> SFC conversion also did away with the bad voice acting and cutscenes, which was a nice "downgrade".

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Ohhh finally reached the boss in Wily 1....................................................................................................
Does this thing even have a weakness? Tried all weapons and only found one that did 2 dmg and I am not doing this god forbidden doding sequence 16 times in a row.

I found the good ol' Mega Buster to be the most effective weapon against that boss, yeah. I think the Pile Driver might do more damage per hit, but it's also harder and riskier to use in the small window of vulnerability the boss gives you.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
So, big Mega Man fan here. Came in all cautiously after not being overly impressed by the few vids I've seen over the past year.
And damn...I haven't even beaten one robot master yet (all I've played and been owned by is Fuse Man's stage and boss encounter), and this game has systematically washed away all doubts for me. I'm in love with it already.

1. Was worried about the new visual style. Nope: All good, great riff on an anime look while still feeling like Mega Man.
2. Was worried the flair of a new 2D current-gen look would result in visual overload and way too much shit happening onscreen like the disaster that was Mega Man 8. Nope: So far, it's easy for me to parse what's actually happening in a level and know what I can and can't interact with.
3. Was worried the music/sound would lose the classic vibes. Nope: Admittedly, I've only heard a few tracks so far, but for me, the preeminent test for Mega Man is how catchy and hummable the tracks are, and I already have Fuse Man's stage theme on permanent repeat in my brain and on my lips.
4. Was worried it might be too easy and lose the challenge of previous games. Nope: This shit is kicking my ass on Normal. Admittedly, I haven't gotten the hang of the Gear System at ALL yet, and realize that'll be the key to winning here, but fuck. This is hard. I love it.
5. Was worried a new engine/system/whatever was going to fuck with the most important thing of all: play control. Nope: Shit is tight. This feels like Mega Man.

I'm 30 mins in, getting my ass kicked, and fucking love this game.

Unless you have a Pro or X1X for 4K all version are more or less the same it seems.

I have a Pro. Didn't even realize I was looking at a 4K image, but makes sense; it's great!

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I'm so fucking happy they brought back the Mega Buster/charge and Slide. That shit is core Mega Man for me and I was never on board with the purist attitude that supported their removal in MM9 and 10. Sorry.

I audibly chuckled when enemies with shields had a special animation for being blown back by a shot, especially the ball-bat things. I can'y believe I still don't know their official names.

edit- Battons

CoinStarDX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So I just picked up my preorder from Best Buy, and how do I redeem my preorder bonus tracks? I never got an email about it and there's nothing in my receipt.