• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrMysterio

Oct 25, 2017
Damnit, after Brexiting back to Germany I completely ignored that there's a general election coming up in 2021 without Mutti.

Someone catch me up on the different players, pls.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Merz is a POS, but he isnt dumb. Hope he gets destroyed, not that the alternatives are much better.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Damnit, after Brexiting back to Germany I completely ignored that there's a general election coming up in 2021 without Mutti.

Someone catch me up on the different players, pls.
AFD are Nazis, FDP are cunts, Leftist and SPD are useless as always, greens will probably form a government with CDU.

CDU new leader is either gonna be a conservative hedge fund manager stuck in the 90s(Merz), Someone completely incompetent but close to Merkel (Laschet) or a foreign policy politician no one knows (Röttgen).

There is still a slight chance of Söder or Spahn becoming chancellor candidate

Last edited:

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
AFD are Nazis, FDP are cunts, Leftist and SPD are useless as always, greens will probably form a government with CDU.

CDU new leader is either gonna be a conservative hedge fund manager stuck in the 90s(Merz), Someone completely incompetent but close to Merkel (laschet) or a foreign policy politician no one knows (röttgen).

That's... A pretty good summary lol

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
If Laschet becomes new CDU leader, Söder will be chancellor candidate.

If Merz wins, it'd a toss-up between him and Söder because he seems hungry enough to want both.

Söder has done a pretty good job of taking charge during Corona and that's reflected in the current polling numbers, he's probably CDU/CSU's best bet.

Politico EU is endless trash. Some of the absolutely worst political reporting I've ever seen for a "reputable" outlet.

I took notice of when during the latest Spanish constitutional crisis their *native* reporter went to Twitter and proclaimed his amazement at how little he knew about the politics of it before writing a particular piece. Which was, of course, full of flaws and imprecisions that any seasoned political reporter would have caught.

Everything needs to be somewhat sensationalized and aligned to US standards of local political reporting and even political culture. Simpler articles tend to be fine, but longer ones and big features are the absolute worst.
They're not sending their best.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Would Söder really be interested in becoming chancellor? Seems much easier to just stay in Bavaria, where as Minister President he has a lot of power already and can even influence national politics, without needing to worry too much about his popularity. With Germany's strong federal nature, Chancellor doesn't seem like the better job.
In my opinion, It's undeniable that he's shooting for chancellor.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017

milch

Oct 25, 2017
Comparing him to Trump is doing us a disservice cause he's a different type of shitheel and it might goad people into describing him in undeservedly nice words.

Don't wanna end up hearing the "he's not that bad for the country, actually" rhetoric that you'll read from Turkish/Brazilian/Philippino/etcetc people online all the time.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
c54a862b21d936a1fa917bd06741df81.jpg

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Can't speak for german politics but I can say its not a good thing to compare anyone to Trump. People can be entirely shitty on their own for their own reasons and sticking everyone in a box with Trump just waters down exactly how bad Trump is.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Comparing him to Trump is doing us a disservice cause he's a different type of shitheel and it might goad people into describing him in undeservedly nice words.

Don't wanna end up hearing the "he's not that bad for the country, actually" rhetoric that you'll read from Turkish/Brazilian/Philippino/etcetc people online all the time.

Don't worry people here still agree that Merz is a POS, just a different kind.

God all the CDU candidates make me shudder. Like I don't see much in current SPD or Linke, but I'd rather have Red-Red-Green than a CDU with one of those chuckleheads at the helm.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
I think he is the best candidate to consolidate the CDU after Merkel and eventually make space for someone like Spahn. I don't think he is a piece of shit either.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE

CDU new leader is either gonna be a conservative hedge fund manager stuck in the 90s(Merz), Someone completely incompetent but close to Merkel (Laschet) or a foreign policy politician no one knows (Röttgen).

Fucking grim looking future at least from my perspective, none of those parties excite me at all.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of Spahn in his current job but having a gay chancellor would be cool.
Having an immigration background I can do without xenophobic idiots, gay or not. People should also remember his wellfare comments, it's all you need. Funnily enough he declined to live on wellfare level for a while - hypocrite.

Actually that is the only good thing coming out of Merz' resurface, seeing Spahn shrink and squirm bc his plan to spearhead the right wingers in the CDU went kaputt. Seeing him being Laschet's poodle while the first is an embodiment of incompetence is oddly satisfying.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
For anyone who didn't know, Austria had this wealthy guy who craves attention a lot trying to run for president twice:
3-format43.jpg

Luckily, that man got the treatment Trump should've gotten.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking grim looking future at least from my perspective, none of those parties excite me at all.

Thank Schröder for that who killed the SPD as a Worker Party during his 8 years as Chancellor plus the rest of the imcompetent bunch who jumped into bed with the CDU every single time to be their junior partner.

milch

Oct 25, 2017
I think he is the best candidate to consolidate the CDU after Merkel and eventually make space for someone like Spahn. I don't think he is a piece of shit either.
Every time he opens his mouth publicly, some bullshit pandering to assholes comes out. He is the politician most consistently triggering me.

He combines a personality of entitlement with regressive, nihilistic politics without any positive vision.

Here he is "fine people"ing the Querdenkers from today
En0Huz9W4AAlYiO

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
To avoid confusion I added a caveat to the ridiculous headline. Not everything is like trump.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
Every time he opens his mouth publicly, some bullshit pandering to assholes comes out. He is the politician most consistently triggering me.

He combines a personality of entitlement with regressive, nihilistic politics without any positive vision.

Here he is "fine people"ing the Querdenkers from today
En0Huz9W4AAlYiO
Lets not forget the gem right after the Hanau shootings* where his solution to the far right terrorist massacre was "stricter border controls, more focus on (immigrant) crime clans"

(*where a far right extremist killed 10 and wounded 5 people who were immigrants or had a migration background.)

Thank Schröder for that who killed the SPD as a Worker Party during his 8 years as Chancellor plus the rest of the imcompetent bunch who jumped into bed with the CDU every single time to be their junior partner.
Yeah Schröder was instrumental to the downfall. No surprise where he landed right after.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Lets not forget the gem right after the Hanau shootings* where his solution to the far right terrorist massacre was "stricter border controls, more focus on (immigrant) crime clans"

(*where a far right extremist killed 10 and wounded 5 people who were immigrants or had a migration background.)

Yeah Schröder was instrumental to the downfall. No surprise where he landed right after.

Schröder was more a Trump for the SPD (even has the Russia connection) than Merz will ever be for Germany.
It is a travesty what Schröder did to the SPD and worker/social rights.

MrMysterio

Oct 25, 2017

Yes! Thanks for the summary.

Having a CDU + Greens government... wonder what one of the founding members would make of that?

And SPD isn't coming back from its collapse anytime soon, eh? 21st century hasn't been great for working-class parties globally - maybe we can finally admit the working class has slipped into the underclass.

How's the AFD's chances then? Last I checked there seemed to be a lot of in-fighting? And not too much traction gained from Corona-conspiracy bullshit?

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For anyone who didn't know, Austria had this wealthy guy who craves attention a lot trying to run for president twice:
3-format43.jpg

Luckily, that man got the treatment Trump should've gotten.

Black suit with white scarf. White gloves. A cane with a gold top. A gold bow-tie. A top hat. Is he a rich time traveler from the early 1900s?

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Black suit with white scarf. White gloves. A cane with a gold top. A gold bow-tie. A top hat. Is he a rich time traveler from the early 1900s?
The man just craves attention. That's his (fifth) ex-wife next to him, btw.
The best thing about his run for presidency is his grasp of the English language.
This is him during something similar to pre-election debates: