• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Quite a few in here are playing semantics for the sake of it. The "Mediterranean diet" as I've come to understand over the years refers mainly to the Levant (Lebanon, Palestine, Israel, Syria etc).

It consists heavily of vegetables, legumes, beans, nuts, olives and olive oil, fish, etc. all quite healthy. Yeah there's some meats but meat in moderation isn't *bad* for your body.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
that's great for people who live where that kind of lifestyle and food source is viable. thank you for the yearly ranking of the good climates, i guess ¯\(°_o)/¯

Amspicora

Oct 29, 2017
Quite a few in here are playing semantics for the sake of it. The "Mediterranean diet" as I've come to understand over the years refers mainly to the Levant (Lebanon, Palestine, Israel, Syria etc).

It consists heavily of vegetables, legumes, beans, nuts, olives and olive oil, fish, etc. all quite healthy. Yeah there's some meats but meat in moderation isn't *bad* for your body.

So it is the Western mediterranean diet. It's true that in recent years we started to eat a lot more meat, but what are you pointing is still present in places like Sardinia for example.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia

Not really, the stuff you describe is typical in Catalan traditional cuisine as well and we are in the western part of the Mediterranean sea.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Heh. Not when I was there. Souvlaki, pitta, kokoretsi, kotosouvli.

Mmm I must have gone to the wrong restaurants or perhaps im just misremembering. I recall breakfasts being virtually meat free and most dinners being some kind of pie or stew with some meat but mostly veggies or pastry.

I did see souvlaki in basically every other corner of Greece though.

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country
Yep.

They are also finding that the health benefits are not just the diet. Those regions tend to have more social support structures than the more more individualistic and self sufficient ethos of the West. Excessive loneliness is a huge issue with health outcomes.

Mediterranean countries (Spain, Italy, Greece, etc.) are in the West, though? Or are we using West as in "Anglo countries"?

Feb 10, 2018
Sounds like a common sence diet.
Get the right macro and micro nutrients, fibre requirements and keep processed junk to a minimum.
It ain't rocket science, these diet are just trying to sell you shit.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So it is the Western mediterranean diet. It's true that in recent years we started to eat a lot more meat, but what are you pointing is still present in places like Sardinia for example.
Not really, the stuff you describe is typical in Catalan traditional cuisine as well and we are in the western part of the Mediterranean sea.
Maybe, but I imagine the further west you go the more things like pork are incorporated into the diet, which isn't the best for you. That's practically non-existent in diets in much of the Levantine countries.

Nov 1, 2017
Moderation is the healthiest diet
I wonder if that's all it takes in the end. With all these different diets, it seems like they're all just ways of eating less of something bad for you, with varying degrees of success depending on who you are.
Would Intermittent Fasting be considered the ultimate diet? It's quick, easy, cheap, and has a 100% success rate if followed properly.
Intermittent Fasting OT
A lot of research seems to point to just simply eating less is the healthier way to go.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-03431-x
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/researc...ht/research-spotlight-low-calorie-liquid-diet

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Lol what American lifestyle magazines call Mediterranean diet really is some fake, whitewashed nonsense.
bUt mEdiTeraNeAnS lOvE MeAt

- this whole thread

Plant heavy diets that triggering y'all?
I (And others here) am actually Mediterranean. That the Mediterranean diet includes barely any meat or grains/flour (LOL) is complete nonsense. It includes tons of bread, for starters. The difference is that we eat more vegetables, less sugar, more beans, and better bread. It's not about being vegetarian.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Lol what American lifestyle magazines call Mediterranean diet really is some fake, whitewashed nonsense.

I (And others here) am actually Mediterranean. That the Mediterranean diet includes barely any meat or grains/flour (LOL) is complete nonsense. It includes tons of bread, for starters. The difference is that we eat more vegetables, less sugar, more beans, and better bread. It's not about being vegetarian.

Hello, it's just a name. And it's based on a diet from half a century ago and not something modern. But this thread would rather talk about all the meat they love from whatever country instead of discussing the actual diet.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty shocking news that a primarily plant based whole food diet is healthy.

Stop eating meat and processed food and you'll feel a lot better. If not stop at least eat a lot less of it.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017

As it's been pointed out earlier, the Mediterranean diet seems to be based on diets from the 1940s and 1950s. I'm sure the way people eat has changed since then. Meat was most likely scarcer back then.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Hello, it's just a name. And it's based on a diet from half a century ago and not something modern. But this thread would rather talk about all the meat they love from whatever country instead of discussing the actual diet.
But then it's not Mediterranean, so don't call it that.
The real Mediterranean diet, the one that people around the Mediterranean traditionally eat, includes meat, and is not characterized for a shortage of meat, but rather by the presence of many other elements that introduce variety and nutritional balance, and by the absence of sugar.
As it's been pointed out earlier, the Mediterranean diet seems to be based on diets from the 1940s and 1950s. I'm sure the way people eat has changed since then.
I'm also pretty sure I know what my gran ma ate in the poor as shit rural Spain of the 40s and 50s better than you, or the author of the article, or the phrenologist who told Americans of the 50s about the Mediterranean diet.

Last edited:

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

The Mediterranean Diet is a program/food pyramid created by an American food think tank called Oldways developed in collaboration with Harvard.

https://oldwayspt.org/traditional-diets/mediterranean-diet

It's inspired by the way people on the Mediterranean coast eat and combines that with established research.

But, yes, essentially, what you said. But it is the name of a specific diet protocol and it is backed by scientific literature.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
But then it's not Mediterranean, so don't call it that.
The real Mediterranean diet, the one that people around the Mediterranean traditionally eat, includes meat, and is not characterized for a shortage of meat, but rather by the presence of many other elements that introduce variety and nutritional balance, and by the absence of sugar.

Again, it's just the name used for this specific protocol. I highly doubt it was meant to be offensive.

I don't think the French kiss is from France, but it's what we call it.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Maybe, but I imagine the further west you go the more things like pork are incorporated into the diet, which isn't the best for you. That's practically non-existent in diets in much of the Levantine countries.
To a western mediterranian (anything including Italy) there are a bunch of things (specially seafood) that we would consider part of mediterranian diet that they probably don't eat. Case in point: pork but also monkfish, cuttlefish, calamari, octopus, mussels, oysters, shrimp, lobster, crab and some other seafood I'm probably forgetting.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I started incorporating olive oil, more nuts, and red wine into my diet. My LDL cholesterol is still high despite dropping 25 lbs in two years. It actually increased last year despite a pretty good diet and more weight loss. Hoping to up my HDL and drop the LDL with the olive oil.

I haven't really felt healthier. Although it has only been a month or so. And the dark chocolate going way up too probably puts an upper limit on how I feel.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
This cannot be repeated or emphasized enough for Westerners, especially Americans. Our lives as adults should be much more balanced, almost mirroring our lives as they once were as children pre-internet era.

These things make a huge difference:

-eat socially (with friends, family, co-workers)
-socialize daily at work with co-workers and outside of work with friends and family.
-instead of going to the gym to work out, play sports/games outdoors with friends and family (or do other outdoor physical activities with friends and family) as frequently as possible.
-do physical labor (such as yard work, gardening, etc.) accompanied by friends and family whenever necessary.
QFT

This is so crazy simple but man if I didn't nod my head hard at each bullet point.

Unfortunately, here in the states, it's actualy hard to do a lot of this stuff and maintain a household. I will able to afford a house when I'm halfway done with life, everything is expensive, and 75% of my friends are out of shape with different work schedules than me.

Also, anyone have a good source for seafood in the states? I'm in NJ and so much out of stuff is crap.

Oct 27, 2017
Omnistalgic
I'm in Jersey, too. And yeah, as an adult trying to run a household with kids and friends on completely different busy schedules, it's really tough to do the stuff I listed without dedication and a concerted effort spanning multiple people. That being said, it really is worth it to do those things. We really need to reform labor laws around work-life balance to make it easier to socialize, enjoy life, and be in good health.

As for places to get decent seafood, the ubiquitous places I've found include:

-Trader Joes for relatively cheap frozen seafood, much of which is wild caught and of pretty decent quality.
-Wegmans for moderately priced but better quality fresh seafood, much of which is wild caught.
-WholeFoods for pricey but very good quality fresh seafood. Also known to support humane/sustainable fishing practices if that is important to you.
-Costco for cheap-per-pound, good quality seafood. Have to buy it in larger quantities to get that cheaper unit price, however.

Last edited:

Untzillatx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Basque Country

Well, don't want to be nitpicky, but I actually dislike this trend, pretty common here on era, of equating "the west" with the North America, or at most Anglo/Germanic countries. The very concept of "the Western world" was born in the Mediterranean (Ancient Greece), so to see this region excluded the West is certainly grating. I mean, if anything the US is traditionally considered the west only because it began as a an extension of European culture, and Europe itself has been considered to be the west due to being the heir of the Greco-Roman traditions, as they were consider the original 'west'.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
What about Jordan Peterson's red meat only diet???

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Veggies, healthy fats, and fish. Turns out they're good for you.

I'm not really sure what the "THEY EAT MEAT TOO!!" people are trying to prove exactly. Weird gotcha, but mkay.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
It's not. Doner kebab was invented in Germany, a cheap knockoff of Turkish/Armenian delicacy Cagh Kebab. Own your own cuisine, German folks.

No, I don't think so. Döner Kebab dates back to the 19th century. It was invented in either Bursa or Kastamonu. But in Germany it became popular in all of Europe (and now in the world I suppose).

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you think the Romans conquered the known world? When the Roman Warm Period ended and the quality of olives dropped they lost their empire.

Its simple. Garum is the real supersoldier serum.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
minimally processed foods and focus on fruits, vegetables, beans, lentils, whole grains, nuts and seeds

Basically the two side walls and back wall of any grocery store in America. You even have to exclude the (sweet) bread aisle, since it's bread filled with tons of useless sugar.

95% of the stuff in the in between aisles should be regulated to a rare treat.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
No, I don't think so. Döner Kebab dates back to the 19th century. It was invented in either Bursa or Kastamonu. But in Germany it became popular in all of Europe (and now in the world I suppose).

Yeah, it was called Cagh Kebab (cağ in Turkish). Doner kebab is always vertical, because Turkish immigrants in Germany discovered the electric grill that can cook the skewer vertically (I believe Germans used that model to roast pig and it wasn't available in Turkey at that time) so it could be easy to slice portions of it. Cagh Kebab is horizontal and cooked by woodfire. Think about it, how could you cook the lump of meat vertically with traditional ways? Vertical Doner kebab brought to Turkey from Germany in the late 50s.

Iskender bey discovered Cag kebab in one of his travels during 1910s to Erzurum and brought it to Bursa. Instead of the usual Erzurum Armenian way of using lamb meat, he used veal (mostly sirloin and tenderloin) and served with Rumelian flat bread and tomato sauce. Iskender is the signature dish of Bursa today.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
This cannot be repeated or emphasized enough for Westerners, especially Americans. Our lives as adults should be much more balanced, almost mirroring our lives as they once were as children pre-internet era.

These things make a huge difference:

-eat socially (with friends, family, co-workers)
-socialize daily at work with co-workers and outside of work with friends and family.
-instead of going to the gym to work out, play sports/games outdoors with friends and family (or do other outdoor physical activities with friends and family) as frequently as possible.
-do physical labor (such as yard work, gardening, etc.) accompanied by friends and family whenever necessary.
Are you sure we can't just make a pill for all that? 😩