• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NubWizard

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA
75wn1o9.jpg

Hello All!

I searched around and didn't find a community posted here yet of members who meditate or are interested in learning about meditation. I envision this thread to be a positive one in which we can share our experiences, learn more about the different meditation practices, and ultimately strive to live happy and wholesome lives.

Some relevant apps (Will Add More With Suggestions):

Headspace

Headspace is a good app for beginners of meditation to learn the basics on how to start. You get your first 10 sessions free, afterwards you can opt in for a subscription.

Calm - Apple | Android

Calm is a great app that has a variety of free guided meditation sessions for different purposes. It also has a paid component but I mainly use it for

Books:

Mindfulness in Plain English (free)

The Art of Meditation

The Mind Illuminated - A Complete Meditation Guide Integrating Buddhist Wisdom and Brain Science

My apologies if my OT is sparse, this is my first one and I will continually integrate more resources as time goes on!

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Excellent, I had also recently thought about starting a meditations OT.
I haven't done much lately I reallly should get back into it though.
No time like the present I guess. :)

I would recommend the recent San Harris podcast episode. :)

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I would love to go to a week long silence-retreat, or whatever they are officially called. It's something I've been eyeing for quite some time, and should probably just do. Only having 15 vacation days since moving to the US has not helped. :p Maybe next year, when I get bumped to 20 days.

OP
OP
NubWizard

NubWizard

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Bumping this thread for the new year!

I am making it a priority to meditate every day, sometimes twice a day.

I would love to go to a week long silence-retreat, or whatever they are officially called. It's something I've been eyeing for quite some time, and should probably just do. Only having 15 vacation days since moving to the US has not helped. :p Maybe next year, when I get bumped to 20 days.

I have seen some retreats that are 3-5 days on dhamma.org. I think the local dharma center would also periodically sponsor their own retreats.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hello, friends!

Happy to see a thread about meditation on here. I have been practicing various forms of meditation for over a decade now and even the really terrifying experiences have ended up being positive in the end.

I do wonder if there is anything we can do to breathe some life into this community.

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Thanks to Flix for recommending this thread in his retreat thread. I didn't know this was here... well, I never looked either.

I began meditating last year after I started taking Buddhism more seriously (I guess I would label myself a BINO-- Buddhist in Name Only--for most of my life, and that was the religious preference I stated when I joined the Marines). Anyway, I guess the most difficult thing after practicing for ~8 months is keeping to the damn schedule! Oh, and not falling asleep...

No advice I can offer, other than to just start! :-)

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I've heard if sleep is an issue to put your head back and look up. Never looked into it though. The one time I tried I had a very stiff neck afterwards.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Hello everyone!

Just wanted to pop in and join the community. I've been studying and practicing Vipassana and Metta meditation off and on for the past 7 years almost solely at home through the use of books and recorded lecture materials (including Sharon Salzburg's books, Shinzen Young's recordings, The Mind Illuminated, and Mindfulness in Plain English). I also have a good friend who practices regularly - he's the one who introduced me to the practice, and we sometimes help guide each other.

For most of the past year I've been in more of an "off" period. I sit with my breath and my feelings a few times a month when I'm feeling frenetic or avoidant and need to re-center myself, and I use the mindfulness skills I learned in my moment-to-moment experience, but otherwise I haven't engaged in a steady, formal practice since last summer.

I have some thoughts on why this is and whether I should do something about it. Part of it is that I've gotten much, much more into exercise since last summer, and that functions as a meditative / mind-centering activity for me (especially running). Most of the time running, journaling, and moment-to-moment mindfulness of my emotions is enough to keep me from the anguish of fighting my feelings / sensory experience, so I guess formal sitting practice doesn't feel as "necessary." I carry what I learned from both vispassna and metta meditation with me every day, observing my feelings, leaning into pain / discomfort / anxiety, and writing the mantras that helped me in almost every journal entry. I'm sure there are mountains upon mountains of skills I have yet to develop, but I haven't felt the intrinsic motivation to do so for a while now.

Part of me feels like I should make a real effort to get back into it. I did so last summer, but it only stuck for about a month before I mostly fell off again (and got way deeper into exercise). On the other hand, part of me feels like I should be gentle with myself and accept and adjust to where I'm at now, understanding that this state isn't permanent, and that I'll probably naturally gravitate back toward my practice again at some point, as I have repeatedly in the past 7 years.

I appreciate any thoughts any of you can provide - on whether other activities can fulfill the same needs as meditation, on how much effort should be expended trying to reinvigorate a dormant practice, etc.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Hello everyone!

Just wanted to pop in and join the community. I've been studying and practicing Vipassana and Metta meditation off and on for the past 7 years almost solely at home through the use of books and recorded lecture materials (including Sharon Salzburg's books, Shinzen Young's recordings, The Mind Illuminated, and Mindfulness in Plain English). I also have a good friend who practices regularly - he's the one who introduced me to the practice, and we sometimes help guide each other.

For most of the past year I've been in more of an "off" period. I sit with my breath and my feelings a few times a month when I'm feeling frenetic or avoidant and need to re-center myself, and I use the mindfulness skills I learned in my moment-to-moment experience, but otherwise I haven't engaged in a steady, formal practice since last summer.

I have some thoughts on why this is and whether I should do something about it. Part of it is that I've gotten much, much more into exercise since last summer, and that functions as a meditative / mind-centering activity for me (especially running). Most of the time running, journaling, and moment-to-moment mindfulness of my emotions is enough to keep me from the anguish of fighting my feelings / sensory experience, so I guess formal sitting practice doesn't feel as "necessary." I carry what I learned from both vispassna and metta meditation with me every day, observing my feelings, leaning into pain / discomfort / anxiety, and writing the mantras that helped me in almost every journal entry. I'm sure there are mountains upon mountains of skills I have yet to develop, but I haven't felt the intrinsic motivation to do so for a while now.

Part of me feels like I should make a real effort to get back into it. I did so last summer, but it only stuck for about a month before I mostly fell off again (and got way deeper into exercise). On the other hand, part of me feels like I should be gentle with myself and accept and adjust to where I'm at now, understanding that this state isn't permanent, and that I'll probably naturally gravitate back toward my practice again at some point, as I have repeatedly in the past 7 years.

I appreciate any thoughts any of you can provide - on whether other activities can fulfill the same needs as meditation, on how much effort should be expended trying to reinvigorate a dormant practice, etc.
It sounds to me as if you have a pretty good handle on what you need at a given time. Also you seem to have the discipline to not need to force yourself do do anything.
So to me it sounds good what you're doing, just let it come and go naturally. :)
I totally see how exercise can partially scratch the same itch, (even thought we are just observing that itch and not scratching it :p). I enjoy hiking for precisely that reason.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
So quick question.
Is there any tangible benefit to sitting with (half) lotus?
I can manage an hour in half lotus, but it's not exactly comfortable and afterwards I feel as if I cannot walk for a few minutes.
Full lotus I can only manage for maybe 10 minutes at a time.

When not in lotus I have started just staggering my legs one in-front of the other, so that they are not on top of one another at all and almost not touching.
That way I can sit comfortably for a full hour and probably more without any issue.

So is there any reason to continue and practice lotus to get more used to it?

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I can sit in full lotus for a couple of hours but I often dont, unless it is something required, for Buddhist weddings or whatnot.

I am not sure of the value of various postures or mudras while meditating. They seem more like a symbol of intent than anything and if the intent is already there, well..

On the other hand if someone is working with Kundalini yoga or doing some practices related to Shaktism it may become much more important.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
Anyone do transcendental meditation? I'm considering paying for lessons., it's about $1k so I don't want to throw money at something without some knowledge.

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
I've been remembering this bit from Adventure Time, and I can't help but think it works as a neat way to represent meditation - concentration and stillness while trying not to sleep, and the "make a fist with your brain" bit probably even work in the "medidate on something"/"persistently focusing on a single thought" way:

I've been experimenting with meditation a bit, but mostly at the end of the day, but with that comes a risk of some sleepiness getting in the way - I read it's a good way to do things, since you're not messing up the "mental hygiene" you just worked on by doing something else that'll get you out of that mental state, but on occasion it's simpler to get some quiet time and privacy during other moments of the day... Any thoughts on the matter?

Deleted member 9197

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been experimenting with meditation a bit, but mostly at the end of the day, but with that comes a risk of some sleepiness getting in the way - I read it's a good way to do things, since you're not messing up the "mental hygiene" you just worked on by doing something else that'll get you out of that mental state, but on occasion it's simpler to get some quiet time and privacy during other moments of the day... Any thoughts on the matter?

I try to keep my practice in the evenings just for the sake of convenience, but it doesn't always go well. Sometimes I get back spasms if I've been lifting heavy weights that day, and often I get sleepy. Most of the time I successfully get 20-30 minutes in before bed, but if the other issues get worse I may do otherwise. It's okay to readjust your routine if it isn't working for you, of course.

I disagree that doing it in the evening benefits you because you avoid "messing up your mental hygiene". The whole purpose of meditative practice, really, is to keep a persistently good mental hygiene, to be able to respond more peacefully and happily to the things that would otherwise cause you mental stress.

In fact, a good part of meditative practice is to carry your relaxed state forward after your practice. Don't jump right into playing on your phone or watching television, but take the opportunity to just be in your environment, to exist fully within a moment in a mindful way.

Have you read Dan Harris's "Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics"? It's full of wonderful advice to help work with or get around the various pitfalls many of us encounter in meditation, and a few are relevant here. Specifically, if you don't have other time to meditate, don't forego it, but rather take what you can get when you can get it. Half an hour to an hour of meditation is great! But so is 10 minutes. So is a single minute if it's all you can get.

So while my set meditation time is in the evenings before bed, that isn't the only time I meditate. If I'm riding in a vehicle at work, I'll allow myself time to meditate. If I'm sitting on the toilet, I'll take the time to meditate. If I'm waiting on the microwave or the tea kettle, if I'm standing in line at the grocery store, if I'm doing just about anything at all, I can take an opportunity to be mindful and focus on my breath. Meditation time does not necessarily have to equal cushion time, and you don't have to add stress to your life if a certain routine isn't working for you. Just find ways to do what you can when you can.

I hope some of that helps! If not, forgive me, but I definitely recommend Dan Harris's books for newly practicing folks.

Best of luck, and keep posting in here!

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
Tomorrow I'll be running a portion of a marathon - I wonder to which extent it may be viable to try something like that in motion.

Liberteer

Dec 8, 2018
Sarajevo
Anyone do transcendental meditation? I'm considering paying for lessons., it's about $1k so I don't want to throw money at something without some knowledge.

I am not sure about you, but I would find better ways to spend 1k. Every single 'guru' that says he's tailoring meditation toward your needs - it's a scam. Meditation is what it is - being in a moment, focused, breathing in and breathing out. There's no secret to it. There's no good or bad meditation. You sit, you don't slouch, you keep your eyes open. Breath in - 1. Breath out - 2. Breath in - 3. Breath out - 4. Go until 10, then rinse and repeat.

If you start thinking, don't overthink. Get back onto counting.
If you lose your focus, go back to one.

Meditation is the most boring, yet most beautiful thing I have experienced. Same with running :)

Liberteer

Dec 8, 2018
Sarajevo
Tomorrow I'll be running a portion of a marathon - I wonder to which extent it may be viable to try something like that in motion.

Zen recognizes kinhin aka walking meditation. I run and meditate. I do believe you can do it at certain point, but don't overstress. Once 'in the zone', try counting, but it may get hard because during meditation we shouldn't put restraints on our breath as we do while running.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
Did any of you ever become conscious of the workings of your inner organs during meditation? For example the beating of the heart muscles tucking at the tissue and organs surrounding the heart. For a short moment I thought that I was about to die.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda sad this thread only has 1 page.

I am currently trying the wim Hof method, let's see how it goes.

I did yoga for over 4 years, but I never felt in control of meditation, let's see how it goes now.

Reading a lot of hypnosis as well.

catstronomer

Dec 12, 2019
Nor Cal
Does anyone here follow the methods laid out by Thích Nhất Hạnh/Plum Village? I follow his/their work (without the religious aspect) and I find it helpful in centering myself during meditation and extending meditation to every aspect of my life. I am currently struggling with finding peace and focusing on my breath while walking as I can't seem to keep my mind from wandering or not wanting to multitask.

Did any of you ever become conscious of the workings of your inner organs during meditation?

I have only been able to achieve this a few times, it made me really happy after the initial panic

I've been experimenting with meditation a bit, but mostly at the end of the day... Any thoughts on the matter?

I found the best results with practicing in the AM, but i have a hard time remembering. Right when I get home from work is great for me too, If I meditate at night I try to do a sleep focused one to get me in the correct mindset for sleep.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
I'll bump this thread .

I recently have had some difficulties and it was recommended to me to try to learn to meditate to help center my mind. While googling, I ran across a recommendation for Headspace as a tool. I am literally just starting out, in my first week or so of learning how to meditate but I've found it very relaxing, very focusing, and very centering so far - and I still don't know what I'm doing.

I wondered if ERA had a thread - well, lo and behold. There's a lot of good recommendations in here that I'm going to try.

Hi everybody!

catstronomer

Dec 12, 2019
Nor Cal
Headspace as a tool. I am literally just starting out, in my first week or so of learning how to meditate but I've found it very relaxing, very focusing, and very centering so fa

I love headspace, I have been using it for my guided meditations for almost 2 years now - I love the focus on mindfulness and that they offer a guide for almost everything. After 2 years I have finally reached the point where I am considering unsubbing, because I feel like I've gotten all I can out of the paid content. A work friend of mine suggested the app "insight timer" as a cheaper alternative to Headspace and it looks neat so far but haven't given up my Headspace sub yet.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
I think the reason why I get to feel my heart is that
my breathing becomes deeper and slower which then leaves
more awareness space for the other noise and feeling makers
such as my heart and intestines.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to bump this but it is an OT so I thought this should go here.... has anyone watched the "headspace guide to meditation" on Netflix? If so is it good?

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
No need to be sorry. It reminded me that I really should do some meditation. Haven't seen the Netflix thing, though.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I had tried meditation a few times before and it never really stuck with me. The guided stuff just distracted me, and the tonal sounds left too much room for my thoughts to wander. Tonight on a lark I looked up telepathy and decided to try to send a message to someone. I put on some Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, sat in a dim room cross-legged with my eyes closed, and focused intensely on visualizing this person and nothing else for about 20 minutes. I've never been so still, almost not breathing, and felt like I could have gone for an hour or more. Very peaceful and centering. Maybe it's not the kind of meditation many of you are doing, but it certainly helped me.