• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But if someone bought the game with that expectation then whats wrong in saying the game was mediocre for them ?
If you're unable to separate your personal disappointment from an assessment of a game's quality, that's your failing, not a game's.

I can't for the life of me get into Horizon Zero Dawn. I still understand it's a great, well made game that very clearly resonates with a lot of people. I'm not going to go around bandying "it sucks" or "mediocre" like people in this thread and on this board in general do. The larger failing of the gaming community to separate its own feelings from their view on things is absolutely one of the biggest problems with it at the moment.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
100% Breath of the Wild no sarcasm at all.

Trailer is amazing but I found the actual game just extremely aimless and boring. Well made but... boring.
If it's well made, it's not mediocre. It's just a well made game you don't like.

I think people make threads like this just to get edgelords to come out of the woodwork and shit on Breath of the Wild.
Nah, OP clearly made this in good faith and even started discussion with a great example. It's the rest of the community that took this chance to start hating some of the most acclaimed games of the generation lol.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's well made, it's not mediocre. It's just a well made game you don't like.

Nah, OP clearly made this in good faith and even started discussion with a great example. It's the rest of the community that took this chance to start hating some of the most acclaimed games of the generation lol.

Yes exactly its a game I don't like and think its mediocre thats exactly what I said in my post. Acting like any kind of media has some sort of objective worth is incredibly stupid. All media and arts worth are interpreted by the person consuming it.

The only objective thing you can say about something like a video game is commenting on the technical aspects of it. Which I gave it props for because it is well crafted.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I can't for the life of me get into Horizon Zero Dawn. I still understand it's a great, well made game that very clearly resonates with a lot of people. I'm not going to go around bandying "it sucks" or "mediocre" like people in this thread and on this board in general do. The larger failing of the gaming community to separate its own feelings from their view on things is absolutely one of the biggest problems with it at the moment.

But thats just era tho , every popular game will get shat on unless it has a big fanbase to defend it lol. And then it just ends up being a fanboy war.

If you're unable to separate your personal disappointment from an assessment of a game's quality, that's your failing, not a game's.

Yes , some parts of the game can be objectively measured. But things like gameplay,mechanics..etc is still purely subjective.

Yes exactly its a game I don't like and think its mediocre thats exactly what I said in my post. Acting like any kind of media has some sort of objective worth is incredibly stupid. All media and arts worth are interpreted by the person consuming it.

The only objective thing you can say about something like a video game is commenting on the technical aspects of it. Which I gave it props for because it is well crafted.

This.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017

Why are you trying to be the arbiter of a subjective evaluation? This is always how these topics go because what makes a game good or mediocre is up to that person. Do they need to put IMO before everything?

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
But if someone bought the game with that expectation then whats wrong in saying the game was mediocre for them ?

Just because a game is critically acclaimed doesn't mean it is going to appeal to everyone. If a trailer misleads the person to believe the game is something else , there is nothing wrong with that person having a mediocre experience playing that game.
A mediocre experience ≠ a mediocre game.
And a game is it not automatically mediocre because it is marketed to be like "X" but turns out to be a "Y". In BotW and MGSV's cases these are borderline false marketing publishers use to generate hype.
The only way a game is mediocre is that as a product it aspires to be something but fails to impress.

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
In what universe is MGSV mediocre? Lmao I swear people have never played it before and just like to post the hottest of takes about it

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
You complained that the trailers people are mentioning were misleading, not representative, and intended as eye candy for casual players. Well, guess what? Trailers are advertisements, advertisements are inherently deceptive, and good advertisements convince people who otherwise wouldn't buy something to buy something.

So every trailer you're complaining about is a great trailer per the criteria of the thread which, again, is the whole fucking point.
I disagree.

But I don't think you're as interested in hearing why as you are in winning some frivolous argument. I'll let you vent to someone else.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
I disagree.

But I don't think you're as interested in hearing why as you are in winning some frivolous argument. I'll let you vent to someone else.

lol don't snark off if you don't want people to snark back

But if you disagree about the intent or nature of advertising as I've characterized it, I'd actually be interested in hearing why :)

A.M.

Community Resettler
The Bioshock Infinite reveal had my hype through the roof. I liked the game, but it didn't come close to living up to that promise.
This one hit me hard. From SystemShock 2, to BioShock, even taking BioShock 2 into account... then Infinite...
At least we got (neo-)Prey(Shock)!

I'll add some games to the pile!

All of these had great trailers, that hyped me up so much:

•Brink (My goodness... ooph... I was so excited, I preordered it the moment it was available to.)

•Hellgate London (Holy fucking shit. Great, hype trailer and had major devs that previously worked for Blizzard—namedly, Diablo. I still own the game, and even touch it from time to time. I'm just baffled how all that great talent... which were known for their work on Diablo—a blasted ARPG... managed to make so many mistakes with an ARPG.)

•Huxley (Something about the cinematic trailer had me so excited for it to come out on the 360. Maybe it was how the designs and all reminded me of StarCraft? I thought it looked amazing when it was announced. All of that hype died, once I tried out the open beta, though. It was just a dull, lifeless, f2p 'MMOFPS'.)

•APB (Now, APB Reloaded) (MMO-esque GTAO, before GTAO. "An MMO GTA? Fuck yes!" And it was by realtime worlds, the creators of Crackdown 1! Snarky trailer... then the release. Janky. Laggy. Buggy. Broken.
Now, it's f2p... and still receiving updates, somehow? 🤷‍♀️)

•Secret World. (Okay, the original release was actually pretty fucking good. It was originally a buy-to-play game, similar to GuildWars. And it had great content updates, lore and story. It was a fucking World of Darkness MMO!!
But, if we count the reveal trailer, to what it is now...
...now, it's F2P. Combat system completely destroyed. And stuffed with more P2W shite than you can imagine.)

And the absolute #1, top of the pile of shite of great trailers, "live demos" and all that shit:

Aliens: Colonial Marines

Cheers, Randy! Cheers, Gearbox! 🤮

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Not quite a traditional trailer, but I was completely blown away by the original snipet of gameplay that we saw in e3 announcement/debut for We Happy Few. I was actually contemplating getting an Xbox One just to play it back when I thought it was an exclusive. And yet the game came out... and mediocre is about the best word I could describe it.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you trying to be the arbiter of a subjective evaluation? This is always how these topics go because what makes a game good or mediocre is up to that person. Do they need to put IMO before everything?
I'm sorry I'm attempting to have a discussion on a discussion forum, apparently.

Ok I can agree with this. But then a lot of games people call mediocre on Era isn't really mediocre.
Yes, and I'm saying none of those are mediocre. You're free to talk about how your personal experience with them is dissonant with the apparent larger acclaim for them, or discuss where you feel they fell short, that's actual constructive discussion and in those regards I've participated in "shitting on" some of my favorite games myself. Because there's actual merit to saying "I thought that Breath of the Wild's lack of narrative direction led to an aimless experience that lost my engagement very early on" or "I felt Uncharted 4's pacing and more self-serious tone was at odds with the light hearted swashbuckling feel that is the reason I enjoy these games". As opposed to "BotW is mediocre, sorry, but that's just how I feel." What does one hope to accomplish with that latter statement?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry I'm attempting to have a discussion on a discussion forum, apparently.

Yes, and I'm saying none of those are mediocre. You're free to talk about how your personal experience with them is dissonant with the apparent larger acclaim for them, or discuss where you feel they fell short, that's actual constructive discussion and in those regards I've participated in "shitting on" some of my favorite games myself. Because there's actual merit to saying "I thought that Breath of the Wild's lack of narrative direction led to an aimless experience that lost my engagement very early on" or "I felt Uncharted 4's pacing and more self-serious tone was at odds with the light hearted swashbuckling feel that is the reason I enjoy these games". As opposed to "BotW is mediocre, sorry, but that's just how I feel." What does one hope to accomplish with that latter statement?

Stop this. Nobody has to go into a detailed diatribe and justify their opinion about a game. There are plenty of people posting short takes on games in here and everything is fine until someone posts a game that is an internet darling and then its off to the races and THEN thats when people have problems with people expressing their take on a game. Fuck sake.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stop this. Nobody has to go into a detailed diatribe and justify their opinion about a game. There are plenty of people posting short takes on games in here and everything is fine until someone posts a game that is an internet darling and then its off to the races and THEN thats when people have problems with people expressing their take on a game. Fuck sake.
I guess the difference is, any time I express an opinion, I will always attempt to substantiate it for the sake of discourse. I guess fuck me for holding Resetera to a higher standard of discussion. Or sorry, "diatribe". Fuck sake, indeed.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
In what universe is MGSV mediocre? Lmao I swear people have never played it before and just like to post the hottest of takes about it
If you go into any "MGSV is bad" thread it usually comes down to two things. 1. Metal Gear fans getting mad that the story is not fleshed out like the other Metal Gears
2. Uncreative people who need games to force them to do a different strategy so they tranq and fulton everyone and then say one of the most varied games of all time is repetitive because they weren't forced to do another strategy not realizing that the game is that open where you can do the same thing if you want.

Oct 27, 2017
If your blood pressure is rising because other people don't like shit you like you might wanna take a minute to think about why that is incredibly ridiculous.
No more ridiculous than you thinking my blood pressure literally rose (or that I actually bothered measuring it) and that I wasn't just being hyperbolic for the sake of being overdramatic

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
OP post nailed it; nothing will surpass that. The Dead Island trailer was inventive, affecting, and perfectly got across just how devastating such a thing might be, while still being full of action and it's own self contained mystery (of a sorts) about how things got to that point. Even watching it now, I get chills.

The game itself was then just any old early '10s "look we can make an open world AND mindless target polygons" blah fest with too much numerical bloat and a ton of jank.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018

In my opinion Botw is a good example in this thread. The trailer suggested that the game is story focused like in previous games. People anticipated a great story and instead got a mediocre one at best. How can this game be good game for someone who bought it to experience a great story.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In my opinion Botw is a good example in this thread. The trailer suggested that the game is story focused like in previous games. People anticipated a great story and instead got a mediocre one at best. How can this game be good game for someone who bought it to experience a great story.
Yeah absolutely, the trailer is misrepresentative, no arguments there. That said, there has never been a Zelda game that's been story focused. Which obviously isn't to excuse BOTW's failings in that area, but just that Zelda as a series was never about the story to begin with.

OP
OP
plow

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Just remembered another one:

Holy shit that Trailer was AMAZING. I got Goosebumps and watched it like 10-15 times.

Haven't really played Ascension but haven't heard too many good things.

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017

I liked the story in BOTW quite a bit

/shrug

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just remembered another one:

Holy shit that Trailer was AMAZING. I got Goosebumps and watched it like 10-15 times.

Haven't really played Ascension but haven't heard too many good things.

I don't know if I'd call it mediocre? It's just... blah. Like in terms of construction it's mostly well made (though there's a surprising number of glitches), but for whatever reason it fails to feel as compelling as the other games in the series do.

OP
OP
plow

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if I'd call it mediocre? It's just... blah. Like in terms of construction it's mostly well made (though there's a surprising number of glitches), but for whatever reason it fails to feel as compelling as the other games in the series do.

I don't know myself since I haven't played it. It's what I heard about the game. Perhaps not mediocre, but very disappointing at least.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
it's been two years and i still dont understand how that botw trailer is "misleading" :s

and how botw has "no story"

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017

Not quite a GOAT trailer, but at a time when we were still primarily getting gritty war shooters Overstrike looked seriously cool and fresh. Insomniac games were always oozing with personality and that trailer seemed really high budget. And in the end we got the ultra bland Fuse instead.

I feel like there was some other 360 era shooter that I rewatched the trailer for countless times yet ended up being pretty lame, but I can't even remember what it is, it's that forgettable.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
I guess the difference is, any time I express an opinion, I will always attempt to substantiate it for the sake of discourse. I guess fuck me for holding Resetera to a higher standard of discussion. Or sorry, "diatribe". Fuck sake, indeed.

It all reeks of bias quite honestly. The overall quality of any piece of media is inherently subjective, even components that people keep trying to push as being able to be objectively measured. Things like resolution, number of lines of dialogue, average framerate, etc. are the only actual quantities that can be objectively stated. How well something controls(besides measurable input delay), "how well it's made"whatever the hell that means, how good the story is......all completely subjective. There are people who think RDR2 has great controls... and they're not wrong, because it's their own opinion on a subjective issue.

Now to the other point, there are only certain games that this applies for when people voice their opinions about them being mediocre. BotW was called a critical darling in here as if that proves something. You know what else were critical darlings? BioShock Infinite(94). Dark Souls 2(91). Dragon Age Inquisition(89 and consensus GoTY). Metal Gear Solid 4(94 and GAF x 2/Era x 1 GoTY). All of them higher than Spider-Man, MK8, Horizon, Nier Automata, and countless others that the "internet" deem acceptable to be called great. Think about that. Critical darling is used as a defense when those critics rated BioShock Infinite higher on average than The Witcher 3. If a game isn't one of the favorites, or even worse, it's one of the cool-to-be-hated, then none of the same rules apply, and people are free to down talk it without an equally strong force coming to the defense.

This all leads to arguing round in circles about how some game is objectively good or this nebulous "well made" when that is a completely false statement. It's all just bias about what an individual likes, and any game that a person thinks is mediocre......guess what, it's mediocre. There is very little that can be stated objectively as to how good a game is.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.

Came for this, found it in the first few posts. I am satisfied.

I still get so hyped the fuck up when I watch that trailer and it's almost impossible to describe just how impossibly huge a letdown MGS V itself was in comparison. Looking back, it's almost like this trailer was made for a different game.

Damn. Still hurts to think of what could've been.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The thread title said Mediocre games, you posted a great trailer for a contender of GOTG
It's an unfinished game with laughable story and characters. I will never forget that Jeep scene, ever. It was so goddamn bad.

It has fantastic gameplay, but it happens to be part of the MGS series and a lot of people expected better of it in the departments the series is known for.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Critically acclaimed games are not mediocre just because someone thinks so.
Man, you know the amount of hate GTA 4 gets yet is one of the best rated games ever, same with RDR2. Don't think being critically acclaimed mean much?

Someone said it but i'll probably agree with DC Universe Online. I remember seeing that trailer and going crazy, it just looked amazing.

I put in a decent amount of time in the game but just wasn't something I could keep playing.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
OP, you should have named this thread something like "Critically panned games with GOAT trailers". It might have helped prevent people from using the shield of "It's my personal opinion" to completely miss the point of this thread.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas

Not quite a GOAT trailer, but at a time when we were still primarily getting gritty war shooters Overstrike looked seriously cool and fresh. Insomniac games were always oozing with personality and that trailer seemed really high budget. And in the end we got the ultra bland Fuse instead.

I feel like there was some other 360 era shooter that I rewatched the trailer for countless times yet ended up being pretty lame, but I can't even remember what it is, it's that forgettable.

Came to post this exact trailer. I was so incredibly let down when I learned they drained all the personality out of the game before it eventually came out.