• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

boredandlazy

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Anyone else having issues installing patch 1.01? Only way I can start the game is disabling the internet so that the patch doesn't start downloading...
OK nevermind. On my 4th attempt to download the patch it stopped half way through, then restarted. Now the patch installs fine, looks like they initially uploaded a corrupted patch which they've now fixed.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
EHyk8uvUcAACiGz

I can't move the green chess piece so I'm shit out of luck with finishing this level, aren't I?

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
The yellow and red pieces are blocking me from getting any diagonal attacks in, so it won't budge.
The Bishop is weird you have to circle around the chess board with it from your right (if you're standing south of the board) you can't just cut straight down the middle and go for the green panel immediatly. That's how I did it at least, seem to work everytimes.

Finished the game, it's short but sweet and for the price I'm not really gonna complain. Now I'll just do a mop-up of the remaining trophies, also unlocked the bonus after helping every single Lost Souls, it's an awesome reward.

For those who might go after the trophies the one where you gotta die in 7 different ways is sorta glitched so here's what I read/did. First off for the trophy to unlock you need to get a "Game Over" screen, just "dying" and using a life potion won't work. Be sure to complete the level AFTER your deaths just to be safe. It can be done within 15-20 minutes on a fresh new file if you want. I'll spoiler tags just in case but if you're curious I only talk about the first three maps and a late one.

Deaths:
#1: Die to Zombies: straightforward, just die in the first map to zombies.
#2: Drown: First map again, near the end.
#3: Stand on those campfire and die, can be done in cemetary hills.
#4: Die in lava, can be done in Cemetary Hills too.
#5: Die to rolling rocks, again, can be done in Cemetary Hills
#6: Die to those crystal on the floor, in Hilltop Mausoleum
#7: Die to collapsing floors, same level, Hilltop Mausoleum

From there, normally the trophy should unlock but it didn't for me so I added two extra deaths:
#8: Bats in scarecrow field (inside the first room with the moon rune)
#9: The windmill (though the corn field is another fast alternative)
The trophy still didn't unlock, so I went to "Haunted Ruins" and near the end of the level I just waited for the timer to countdown to zero for an instant game over and it worked, perhaps you can ignore deaths 8# and 9# and go straight to the Haunted Ruins after your 6th or 7th one (to be safe) and it should pop up. Also, when my trophy popped it was right after I got the Game Over in the ruins so whether or not you need to finish a level remain unknown.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Am I just imagining things or did they tighten up the camera for the final build of the game? Maybe it's just me, but it feels less unwieldy to control compared to the demo.

As for the game itself, I can see why some of the critics are laying into it because the combat really is quite mindless and little was done to evolve it from the original, but I'm four levels in now and quite enjoying myself. I just love the gothic vibes and English humour and Sir Dan as a character.

A 7 out of 10 through and through.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
"In the PS4 remake of MediEvil, equipping the helmet doubles the damage output of all enemies, serving as a kind of hard mode. The helmet can only be obtained in the MediEvil Short-Lived Demo by picking it up near Dan's resting place and downloading it from the PlayStation Store. "
I got the demo the day it was released and but I didn't pick up the helmet. Can I still get this in the final game?

Nope. PlayStation UK is posting them :)
These are awesome! Sony is doing some really interesting things with the marketing of this game.

Some side-by-side comparisons:

EHu4hyvWkAEodYS.jpg:large
MV5BNWE4OTNiM2ItMjY4Ni00ZTViLWFiZmEtZGEyNGY2ZmNlMzIyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDU5NDcxNw@@._V1_.jpg

EHu9OboXYAAvl-r.jpg
MV5BODcyYzM4YTAtNGM5MS00NjU4LTk2Y2ItZjI5NjkzZTk0MmQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU0OTQ0OTY@._V1_.jpg

EHvCfw2WsAA_sgM.jpg
81hgV-BoF1L._SL1500_.jpg

All of the countdown artwork:

EHuIjW6XUAAUY6b.jpg
EHo34rGWkAQrMHI.jpg
EHkPEYtWoAIVvZA.jpg

EHVs1RxWsAAqwHx.jpg
EHKFMDLWoAAsNJB.jpg
EGl7OBRXkAEntTm.jpg

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Completed it today. It shows that MediEvil is from the beginning era from PS1. In the remake they kept everything intact, not even added an checkpoint system, which made the journey sometimes annoying. I was suprised this game was made with Unreal Engine. The trophies are really easy. Hunting for the lost souls now to get the special extra.

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Managed to actually dive into it today, and it just as fun as I remembered back when I first played it.

Also, there just something about the merchant gargoyles animation that really makes you feel good for spending your gold.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Guys, to find the lost souls should I revisit the levels or I have to start a new game? Also, should I complete the levels twice? one for finding them and one to place them?

Edit: Nvm, I have to replay the levels, cool!

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I forgot how unforgiving this game came be after a few levels. Shame because my son absolutely loves it, but he's getting wrecked after the stained glass boss level. Wish there were difficulty choices or a cheat for invincibility that disabled trophies.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Fired the game up tonight and got up to the enchanted earth....I actually think it's pretty neat how they kept the game so true to the original,it is the same game with better visuals...that's fine by me,but anyone who didn't play it back in the day would probably be less than impressed tbh,lol.

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
I finished it today and really enjoyed it. The game I've been playing before this has been gears 5 and it was a nice breath of fresh air to play through a game and not feel pressured to spend more money.

I sort of forgot what a simple fun game felt like. It was really nostaligic revisiting these old locations.

I'm really hoping for a remake of the 2nd game now. That was the first 3D game I ever played.

Oct 27, 2017
Got to the Pools of the Ancient Dead. This is still shit level design, just as it was on PS1 and PSP. Straight up shit. Doesn't help that this remake is pretty much 1:1 with a game that really wasn't designed for analogue control. Otherwise a pretty good remake so far.

Last edited:

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Oh crap... I got a bug that frustrate my intentions to get the Platinum...

In the Crystal Cave a goblin stole my Magic Sword and he died next to the slope where you fall at the end of the level, the thing is that the sword got stuck inside the geometry and I couldn't recover it, tried falling through the whole but it's the same as being just right next to the sword, Dan doesn't grab it. I finished the level, started another one and I don't have the sword. Went back to the Crystal Cave and the sword is not there anymore so that's it for me for now, the other weapons take too much time to kill enemies and I'm not in the mood to finish the rest of the trophies with those...

What a bummer, it'd be good to go back to hall of heroes and get the weapons spawn there but I don't know if that exist, I even can't find a way to go to the hall.

Sad...

Oct 25, 2017
It's annoying that when you have no health there is no way to reset things to just having 1 bar of hp. Basically had to exit a level because of it and now will need to go farm HP.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
It's annoying that when you have no health there is no way to reset things to just having 1 bar of hp. Basically had to exit a level because of it and now will need to go farm HP.
Agreed. I ran into this issue earlier today. I went back to Cemetery Hill and ran through it to get a top off of some health.
Not a huge issue, but annoying indeed.

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. I ran into this issue earlier today. I went back to Cemetery Hill and ran through it to get a top off of some health.

You can just grind Dan's crypt to get the two health vials (one hidden behind the wall that needs to be broken) each time. You can also pick up ~250 gold per run, so keep doing that for 1-1,5 hours and you should get the trophy for 10k gold while you're at it.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You can just grind Dan's crypt to get the two health vials (one hidden behind the wall that needs to be broken) each time. You can also pick up ~250 gold per run, so keep doing that for 1-1,5 hours and you should get the trophy for 10k gold while you're at it.
That, or the typical strategy in the original was to just replay The Graveyard since it contains two health fountains and one health vial and the level is very short and easy to run through.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Anyone knows how to get the "give the knights all you got" trophy? I just saved everyone and spent a lot of vials but still no trophy.

First I saved 5, then 6, and then every soldier but it doesn't unlock.

Edit: It seems you have to be near death... I'll check it last.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Man, how can you get the green rune where the father is locked up without hurting him?

Sleeping Village trophy.

Edit: Think I got it, broke the barrels with my hand... let's see.

Edit 2: Got it!

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
fucking scarecrows. why do they have so much health? i need like 4 fully charged hammer slams to kill them.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
While looking for the lost soul in Return to the Graveyard, I found a secret friend.

Yeah, I've seen at least two of these hidden around - what do they do?

And how did you guys who platinumed it get the trophy for not getting hit by falling boulders on Cemetery Hill? Gonna assume there's an infinite durability shield I can get later and just walk up the hill while guarding/deflecting boulders or do I just need to git gud?

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What are the green smiley balls?
They're an easter egg reference to this:
hqdefault.jpg

It appeared at the end of the credits in the original MediEvil. Jason Wilson, the lead artist, explained that Mr Apple was a mascot created by one of the developers. They drew a face on an apple and put a paper hat on it, and it managed to stay fresh for several months. One day, the hat fell off, and then Mr Apple rotted a few days later.

In this remake, there's one hidden in every level. They don't do anything, it's just a little easter egg for fans.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Is there a massive difficulty spike after you beat the first boss or so, or is it just me?

I only have two extra health potion things. Am I supposed to have more by the scarecrow field level?

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a massive difficulty spike after you beat the first boss or so, or is it just me?

I only have two extra health potion things. Am I supposed to have more by the scarecrow field level?
You should have 4 health potions by that point. Two are found in Dan's Crypt (one of them is hidden behind a breakable wall), one is found in The Graveyard on the pathway to the left of the angel statue (you have to hit the statue until it faces that direction to open up the gate) and one is given to you on your second visit to the Hall of Heroes.

Last edited:

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
hqdefault.jpg

It appeared at the end of the credits in the original MediEvil. Jason Wilson, the lead artist, explained that Mr Apple was a mascot created by one of the developers. They drew a face on an apple and put a paper hat on it, and it managed to stay fresh for several months. One day, the hat fell off, and then Mr Apple rotted a few days later.

In this remake, there's one hidden in every level. They don't do anything, it's just a little easter egg for fans.
Holy crap that's funny and scary at the same time.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
hqdefault.jpg

Haha, awesome - thanks for the info!

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
hqdefault.jpg

Very cool! Thanks.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017

And how did you guys who platinumed it get the trophy for not getting hit by falling boulders on Cemetery Hill? Gonna assume there's an infinite durability shield I can get later and just walk up the hill while guarding/deflecting boulders or do I just need to git gud?
Git Gud.

Took me about 6 tries. If you ignore all enemies and make a quick run for it, you can make it up 70% of the mountain before any boulders come your way. I tackled it really early on and just kept restarting the level if I got hit. It won't pop until you exit the level, FYI.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Git Gud.

Took me about 6 tries. If you ignore all enemies and make a quick run for it, you can make it up 70% of the mountain before any boulders come your way. I tackled it really early on and just kept restarting the level if I got hit. It won't pop until you exit the level, FYI.

Hahaha, 😄 right on, thanks for the tips - time to start gitting then.

Spamlynguist

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the game yesterday and I absolutely loved it! Now to get the remaining trophies I missed, including getting and laying all Lost Souls to rest.

Nov 15, 2017
Medievil has always been one of my favourite games since renting it from Blockbuster as a kid. The atmosphere is so charming.

I love this remake, only on Return to the Graveyard so far. I wish that there would be a few more extras added in to keep it a bit more fresh, but I'm just so glad we got more Medievil.

Oct 27, 2017
Got to the end of
The Haunted Ruins
, and Dan fucking got stuck on that lever, so I died and have to finish the entire level again just because the game glitched -__________- Fucking Hell.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got the demo the day it was released and but I didn't pick up the helmet. Can I still get this in the final game?
Nope :/

These are awesome! Sony is doing some really interesting things with the marketing of this game.

Some side-by-side comparisons:

EHu4hyvWkAEodYS.jpg:large
MV5BNWE4OTNiM2ItMjY4Ni00ZTViLWFiZmEtZGEyNGY2ZmNlMzIyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDU5NDcxNw@@._V1_.jpg

EHu9OboXYAAvl-r.jpg
MV5BODcyYzM4YTAtNGM5MS00NjU4LTk2Y2ItZjI5NjkzZTk0MmQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU0OTQ0OTY@._V1_.jpg

EHvCfw2WsAA_sgM.jpg
81hgV-BoF1L._SL1500_.jpg

All of the countdown artwork:

EHuIjW6XUAAUY6b.jpg
EHo34rGWkAQrMHI.jpg
EHkPEYtWoAIVvZA.jpg

EHVs1RxWsAAqwHx.jpg
EHKFMDLWoAAsNJB.jpg
EGl7OBRXkAEntTm.jpg
Yep :) Look so damn good. God, I hope Sony is already working on a MediEvil 2 remake.