• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Yep, I know! Making a thread for it sounds like a good idea, it's a very cool addition and will definitely extend my playtime! But yeah, perhaps put in the title of the thread *Spoiler* Medievil PS4 Remaster's Final Unlockable or something.

I'm jealous of everyone who's playing this right now, I'm at work and have seen this has been delivered and is waiting for me at home...

I called to work from home today. Was ready to start playing but they put me in a meeting... and here I am listening to these people talk where I have no input to give while watching my PS4 home screen. -_-

Zarlant

Oct 23, 2019
I called to work from home today. Was ready to start playing but they put me in a meeting... and here I am listening to these people talk where I have no input to give while watching my PS4 home screen. -_-

Darnit. I know that feeling when you're in a meeting for what feels like no reason. Let us know what you think when you start playing that sweet Medievil!

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Darnit. I know that feeling when you're in a meeting for what feels like no reason. Let us know what you think when you start playing that sweet Medievil!

I'm playing!

Man this game is good! better than I remembered, I'm so happy. I just beat the glass demon at the mauseleum, my favourite level so far.

Cementery Hill was a bit frustrating climbing those Donkey Kong hills but it got over quick.

I'm playing with the helmet on btw.

The music is delicious.

Also, the camera seems to be a bit better than the demo, just a bit.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
God, I forgot how amazing the soundtrack is. A perfect fit for Fall/Halloween/All Saints season.

Jan 9, 2018
I saw the quick look on Giant bomb and this game looks quite bad, I don't have any nostalgia for the original, and this didn't do anything for me

Oct 24, 2019
I really hope to see a MediEvil 2 remake soon! Also a MediEvil 3– Sony needs to bring back more of these cartoony mascots to keep Astro Bot company!

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Just beat the first boss and this game is just a joy to play. It's just like I remember it playing it back in the day.
Looking forward to getting to the areas I never reached before.

Zarlant

Oct 23, 2019
I'm playing!

Man this game is good! better than I remembered, I'm so happy. I just beat the glass demon at the mauseleum, my favourite level so far.

Cementery Hill was a bit frustrating climbing those Donkey Kong hills but it got over quick.

I'm playing with the helmet on btw.

The music is delicious.

Also, the camera seems to be a bit better than the demo, just a bit.

Great to hear! Glad you're enjoying it.

How hard is it with the helmet? I think I might save that for a 2nd playthrough.

Also glad the camera seems a bit better. I'm hoping they also fixed the way Dan's skull spins around when he's reading books, etc.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sirdana5ki6.png

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sirdanbkj8k.jpg

I have it but haven't tried it. Is it just cosmetic?
"In the PS4 remake of MediEvil, equipping the helmet doubles the damage output of all enemies, serving as a kind of hard mode. The helmet can only be obtained in the MediEvil Short-Lived Demo by picking it up near Dan's resting place and downloading it from the PlayStation Store. "

Last edited:

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Marketing is good ! Too bad the reviews don't seem to make the game justice, I guess it's really about a nostalgia thing, even more than Crash or Spyro.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Got my copy posted today. Something that's never happened before - not only did I get the standard case with the game, but a free steelbook was thrown in too. Thanks The Game Collection!

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Great to hear! Glad you're enjoying it.

How hard is it with the helmet? I think I might save that for a 2nd playthrough.

Also glad the camera seems a bit better. I'm hoping they also fixed the way Dan's skull spins around when he's reading books, etc.

It's challenging but I just lost to the Ant Queen and now I have to repeat the entire level in which I start with 48hp...

I consider this lvl finished so I'll take the helmet off to complete it now lol

Edit: Aaand she's done. I dominated the level without the helmet but it might have to do with the fact that I knew most of it because of my first try.

Last edited:

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Just bought the game and yes the steelbook is awesome. Can't wait to start playing. This game is one of my most beloved PS1 games and the OST is just phenomenal.

Might get a bit emotional while playing I guess. Dem memories.

Auron.90

Dec 3, 2017
Bought this afternoon and got to the snake. Sometimes the framerate is abysmal and some enemies hit like a truck without a proper feedback, but apart from those aspects, it's a good remake. Even the platinum looks doable.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
The game is so good, I honestly enjoy it way way more than Spyro and especially Crash. The level design and the overall aesthetics feel more interesting to me. The music is several steps above.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Do I have a hindsight bias, or did the final release/patch 1.01 make game perform better? The demo levels seemed to work more solid for me.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm a bit stuck on a boss

The Ant Queen. I know the gimmick, so I know to wait until she's standing up and range attack her glowy bits. But once I get her down to a certain health, the amount of ants and the falling rocks do me in. Plus I always end up targeting the smaller ants which loses me time when she's upright. Any tips?

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

The Ant Queen. I know the gimmick, so I know to wait until she's standing up and range attack her glowy bits. But once I get her down to a certain health, the amount of ants and the falling rocks do me in. Plus I always end up targeting the smaller ants which loses me time when she's upright. Any tips?
Haven't gotten to that part yet, but in the original I just kill the small ants as soon as they pop out and then concentrate on her. If the number of ants and falling rocks increases as her health goes down, than that's a feature they added to make her more difficult.

Auron.90

Dec 3, 2017
Man, the game is more brutal than I remember. On one hand I'm using much more the shield and ranged weapons, but on the other hand the lack of checkpoints and the lack of refilling of potions make the game much more unforgiving.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

I got there (without helmet) with full health pots, I mostly just tanked the damage and stood close to her dealing damage with the crossbow. When she shielded herself I used the charged hammer to kill ants but as soon as she was vulnerable I just focused on her and tanked the ants damage.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Man, the game is more brutal than I remember. On one hand I'm using much more the shield and ranged weapons, but on the other hand the lack of checkpoints and the lack of refilling of potions make the game much more unforgiving.
I feel the same way every time I play a game from that era. They're much harder than games today.

Oct 27, 2017
Picked it up yesterday. Got to the
ant queen
, and oof, I'd forgotten how hard that fight can be. I'll have to return after getting some more life bottles and better weapons.

Noriea

Nov 8, 2017
Gonna chime in and say that I absolutely hate this remake and I played the original to 100%. The camera is a little annoying and outdated but what I can't forgive is that the changed the music. The original soundtrack appropriately invoked a little Danny Elfman and was fine just the way it was. I also noticed some serious framerate issues on scarecrow fields

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Gonna chime in and say that I absolutely hate this remake and I played the original to 100%. The camera is a little annoying and outdated but what I can't forgive is that the changed the music. The original soundtrack appropriately invoked a little Danny Elfman and was fine just the way it was. I also noticed some serious framerate issues on scarecrow fields
Huh? Isn't the music the same just better quality?

Noriea

Nov 8, 2017
Huh? Isn't the music the same just better quality?
Most songs sound the same and have the same melody, but with others they took some artistic license adding vocals/chanting or entirely new segments. I listen to these tracks regularly in my music library and I was just disappointed is all. It's nitpicking and it's my personal peeve so take it as you will. I guess I was just hoping for just higher quality instruments and sample quality.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hard disagreement about the music. The remastered tracks are composed with a live orchestra by the same guys who did the music in the original, and it sounds fantastic. It's easily one of my favorite parts of the game. The only issue I have is that there's no option to turn off the dynamic music.

OP
OP
DriftingSpirit
Oct 25, 2017
Just beat the second boss. It is pretty okay for the time being. I came in with the right expectations, so I'm enjoying it more than not.

xillyriax

Game Test Analyst
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California, USA
Haven't gotten to that part yet, but in the original I just kill the small ants as soon as they pop out and then concentrate on her. If the number of ants and falling rocks increases as her health goes down, than that's a feature they added to make her more difficult.
You can hide in the small cave next to her when the falling rocks appear. You take very little, even no damage.

so i may have just beaten the game

So i think they added a new collectible that you need to get in order the get the good ending cause i got all the Chalices but i didn't get the good ending, i opened a chest in the The Entrance Hall that freed a bunch of spirits and i found on the the The Time Device so i'm not really sure what the deal is
You have to find all the Lost Souls. Now that you beat the game, replay the levels. You'll see a colored wisp floating around. Talk to it. It will say a riddle about a location in another level. Go to that spot and some prompt will appear. "Use" the soul that told the riddle.

Rinse, repeat. 🏆.

Last edited:

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Finished the game! it was sweet! got everything so I have it ready to collect the souls next time. I'll see if I start right away or play Call of Duty to take a rest.

I loved it, so many phenomenal levels!

Mausoleum, Pumpking Gorge (and Serpent), Ants Cave, Asylum Garden Maze, The Lake, The Ghost Ship!

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Good stuff, got the lost souls and began saving a couple. I can't remember if it was in the original but I don't think it was. I should be finished with the game soon but it's been a fun ride. Hopefully it sell well enough to warrant a remake of the sequel.

boredandlazy

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Anyone else having issues installing patch 1.01? Only way I can start the game is disabling the internet so that the patch doesn't start downloading...

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, is anyone else experiencing an audio bug when using the enchanted broad sword? Every time I use the power attack, it seems to loop the static charging sound indefinitely until the sword's enchantment ends. Since the broad sword is an all-but-essential weapon for a large part of the game, it is unbelievable to have the audio glitching out like this.