• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017

dmAedDm.gif

Welcome!

-

Xs1m1P6.png

aVOJEMB.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WPVzwkx.png

tUzVN6R.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bpjOl7e.png

Ef7PrLJ.png

6j1ZrpD.png

uSstiCu.png

60CjAHx.jpg
8107uWa.jpg

-

MUwadY9.jpg

y165R8L.jpg

-

vmAyryZ.jpg

C0HGDjt.jpg

MmDCXpk.png

Metacritic (68 with 54 reviews) | Opencritic (69 with 55 reviews)

Daily Star - 100/100

Other Ocean's reimagining of MediEvil is a respectful recreation of a unique classic. While some might think that the developers have gone down the safe route of a carbon copy recreation, it's clear that a lot of work that has gone into retaining MediEvil's original charm. The result? A gorgeous display of creative affection for a series limited by its original console confinement.

PSU - 95/100
MediEvil finally makes the transition from PS1 to PS4 in a spectacular new remake that fans have been clamoring for. The Tim Burton-esque beauty and clever gameplay has held up incredibly well for a twenty-year-old game but some precarious camera angles and clumsy combat keep the game from perfection.

Game Over Online - 90/100
While MediEvil has a couple of rough edges, the core game is more fun than ever before thanks to an extensive reworking of the original mechanics.

wccftech - 82/100
MediEvil shows that it's possible to take a classic and completely remake the look from the ground up while still making it feel as it once did two decades ago.

Digitally Downloaded - 80/100
The visual update is beautiful, the orchestrated soundtrack is gorgeous, and, let's face it, if a developer were to fully modernise MediEvil, the result would likely lose all of the series charm by bloating it out with endless side-quests, open worlds, and some Very. Serious. Violence (TM). MediEvil is a rare bit of whimsy from modern Sony, and so while it plays a little bit too much like an artifact of yesteryear, it still got me smiling.

GameRant - 4/5
The MediEvil PS4 remake stays true to the original game while being a more enjoyable experience overall. There were still some ways that the developers could have made the MediEvil PS4 remake even better, but what's here is still a great game and will leave fans hungry for more.

Twinfinite - 4/5​
All in all MediEvil PS4 is a solid, well-made remake that is a Halloween treat for longtime fans thanks to its remarkably improved sounds and visuals. Other Ocean Emeryville also does a nice job of ironing out some old kinks for modern audiences while leaving the gameplay mostly intact. Most of the time, this is for the better, but sometimes it's for the worse.

Gamecrate - 7.5/10
The new MediEvil remaster stays faithful to the original, for both good and bad. Fans will enjoy seeing Sir Daniel's adventures come to life in full HD, but anyone looking for a brand new action/adventure/platformer might find the old-school PS1 controls and mechanics more than a little jarring.

God is a Geek - 7.5/10
MediEvil is a hallowed classic, undeniably, and it's presented here with a shiny new look and comfortably familiar feel, made with enough love and attention to resurrect its appeal for existing fans.

Destructoid - 7.5/10
Given that a physical copy of the original MediEvil goes for roughly $30 these days, shelling out the same price for a PS4 remake is a steal.

HardcoreGamer - 3.5/5​
It shows its age in some spots but for the most part it's enjoyable. People with fond memories of it would probably enjoy this update over the original if for no other reason than the visual facelift. Its style has as much to do with its legacy as the gameplay but this is one of the more memorable titles to grace the original PlayStation. In spite of the areas where this title has not aged well, MediEvil is still fun and darkly charming adventure, and like Sir Daniel this HD remake still shows there's life left in this corpse.

VideoGamer - 7/10
An accomplished, excellent remake hampered only by some dated game design, MediEvil is a marvellously macabre medley of mayhem and mirth.

Easy Allies - 7/10
MediEvil does a good job of addressing some of the problems found in the original while sticking close to the source material. The updated visuals and audio are great, and it's more pleasant to play thanks to the improved interface. Even though some aspects can feel dated or way too straightforward, journeying through this dark and spooky world is still satisfying. Whether you're a fan of the original or enjoy other action-adventure games of the era, MediEvil is a solid choice.

TheSixthAxis - 7/10
MediEvil resurrects one of our all-time favourite PlayStation mascots for a new generation. This remake does exactly what it promises, revamping dated visuals while staying faithful to the 1998 original, even if that means digging up certain design choices that have remained buried with Sir Dan all these years.

Stevivor - 6.5/10
For those entering in here for the memories of a beloved game, I don't want to knock the experience for you. This is the game you love! But unlike aforementioned remakes, nostalgia seems like a necessity to enjoy MediEvil rather than just being a bonus. Let all brave knights beware.

IGN - 6.5/10
MediEvil successfully brings Daniel Fortesque's tale back from the dead yet again, but not nearly enough was done to modernize the mechanics of this remake.

GamesRadar+ - 3/5
This remake of MediEvil isn't all that fun to play in 2019, but it's still too much of a Halloween treat to dislike.

Push Square - 6/10
MediEvil's PS4 makeover sees the classic brought back to life, and it's an extremely faithful remake that fans will love. However, many of the old issues return as well, such as a dodgy camera and stiff gameplay. Sir Dan die-hards will be able to forgive these leftover problems, as this is otherwise a solid remake overflowing with character. If you've any nostalgia for this retro Sony title, or are looking for something spooky to play this Halloween, MediEvil has never been better -- just be wary of the skeletons in its closet.

USGamer - 2/5
With the remake of 1998's MediEvil, Other Ocean has done great work bringing the PlayStation title in 2019. Visually, this game is a winner. The problem is the decision to keep the gameplay largely the same. MediEvil's combat is muddy and its level design lacks any sense of exploration. This needed to be a more extensive remake. As it stands, it's only for those with heavy nostalgia for the property.

TrustedReviews - 2/5
Unless you're a hardcore lover of the original MediEvil, I can find little reason to recommend this remake when there are numerous superior platformers available on PS4. Heck, even Knack manages to produce a more compelling experience than this, surpassing the brittle bones of Sir Daniel Fortesque in almost every department. As someone who was equally enthralled and terrified by the original duo of games, this is an unfortunate disappointment.

WeGotThisCovered - 2/5
This remake of MediEvil stumbles in the gameplay department, failing to bring life into its resurrected protagonist's rusty old bones.

Shoutout to Much
Shoutout to Angie22
Shoutout to Nagito
Shoutout to janusff
Shoutout to Zukkoyaki

Thanks for the help!🙏🏾​

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Too strapped for cash right now to buy it new, but I hope it's successful.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to this one, demo is what I expected from the game. (although wish it was a bit longer)

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Nice OT!
Really looking forward to this. Only played the demo for the first game and borrowed and played maybe half of 2. Hope this does well enough for a remake of the sequel to happen!

KaCo

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
May 22, 2018
Feeling nostalgic for the game from the OT, great job!

Couldn't even try the demo out because I didn't realise it was timed (foolish me) but this is my designated Halloween game, so really excited for it.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cool OT, this game scared the hell out of me as a child so it's gonna be intresting going back to it all these years later

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Great OT!

I was in a store earlier and I didn't manage to take a shot of the back of the placeholder case, but if my eyes didn't deceive me, the install size is around 25GB. I'll go back again today and see if I can get confirmation. PS1 game was < 350MB.

Aug 22, 2018
Haven't played the original yet so excited to jump in for the first time later this week! I really adored the visuals of what I played in the demo

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have the physical and digital version preordered. I'm ready. Sir Dan is finally back!

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
I'm down for this over Luigi's Mansion. I'm grabbing both, but I'm looking forward to this more out of nostalgia. I'm not entirely confident either one will review extremely well, but I'll be happy to see differently.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
My hopes for this game are miniscule after playing the terrible demo, but will be interesting to see how it reviews. Nice OT!

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Time to relive my childhood!

So excited for this. It could have negative 100 MC score and I'll still buy it.

wvan13

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Worlds is out that same day, but I've got 20 dollars in Gamestop credit. I'm sure I can spend 10 dollars on this.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Was the demo really bad as someone wrote before? Haven't had the chance to play it.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
When I first heard that Danny Elfman like score, it was a must buy. Never played Medievil but I'm super excited for it. It looks right up my alley.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Played the demo back on PS1 but didn't pick this up for some reason (I love the aesthetic and it's a genre I enjoy, so I really don't know why). Definitely going to grab this at some point.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Super excited for this. I don't think I ever finished the whole of the original (I certainly never 100% it), so I'm looking forward to going for that this time around.

I'm hoping for a sequel tease though, because that's a fantastic game.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
That's one handsome OP Drift. Good work.

Do we know specifically when the reviews drop? I suspect it won't review that great, but oh well, I know what I'm getting into. Got a fair bit of nostalgia for the original.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
They could had included the original game, I'm sure 500MB on the blu-ray disc are available. And a PS1 emulator shouldn't be that hard on a PS4.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Preload is locked and loaded.

Version 1.01
Various bug fixes
Small tweaks and polish items
Stability and performance optimizations

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Good work, Drift, thank you!

It seems we've been waiting for a long time now. I guess reviews will come tomorrow. Honestly, I'm only curious about any word on Pro enhancements. On the rest, I made up my mind long before the demo and this is a day one game, if anything because I hope more IPs follow its treatment, sooner rather than later.

Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for reviews, but i hated the demo. Too short, and the image overall in the outside areas had an overabundance of an ugly blue/purple haze over the whole image.