• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
So it wasn't just my internet connection. That framerate is absolutely unacceptable. And I worry that since we're apparently only five months out from release, and they were perfectly willing to show it in a trailer, that that's how it's going to ship :<

Hard pass from me if so.
not just the framerate, even the visuals looks outdated, seems like small project from very small team.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't a big title, never was and was never intended to be one. This is what people should call "fan service". It's for the fans.
MediEvil is an old franchise, with oldschool gameplay. This won't sell gangbusters or review well. It's a remake for the fans who waited for it for over a decade.

MediEvil got the Spyro treatment. Better graphics and that's about it. It's the same game with the same gameplay. btw. exactly what I wanted. Welp.
They are adding new stuff atleast alot of stuff atleast
And make no bones about it, even if you're familiar with Dan's first outing, everything you remember (and a lot that you don't!) is back in ways that will make your head spin. In addition to a complete graphical overhaul, an improved camera system, and a brand-new narrator (brought to life by veteran voice actress Lani Minella) we're adding a whole casket full of secrets to this PlayStation classic that we can't wait for you to dig up.
We'll scare up some more details for you leading up to launch, but in the meantime, feel free to crawl on over to PlayStation Store and preorder the game!

ced

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the original back in the day but seeing this with zero hit reaction on the enemies looks unplayable

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a big title, never was and was never intended to be one. This is what people should call "fan service". It's for the fans.
MediEvil is an old franchise, with oldschool gameplay. This won't sell gangbusters or review well. It's a remake for the fans who waited for it for over a decade.

MediEvil got the Spyro treatment. Better graphics and that's about it. It's the same game with the same gameplay. btw. exactly what I wanted. Welp.
I don't know why someone would want the game to be actively bad though. I loved playing medievil on my psp back in the day. But the combat was unarguably poor. It's like, do you want the remake to be received well? What's the harm in fixing enemy animations and hit reactions?

Wouldn't a better playing remake have a drastically better chance at getting a sequel greenlit? Especially when some of these changes wouldn't dramatically change the game.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sad that the gameplay looks so out dated because I am digging the art style.
Make sense. It's an over 20 year old 3D action adventure. Like I said, it's for the fans of the old game. It's almost the same game, just shinier. Exactly what I wanted. I want the same game, but prettier. And I hope they will do the same with the Demon's Souls Remaster. I want Demon's Souls and not a Demon's Souls / Dark Souls 3 mix.
You should've handed off this remake to Bluepoint, like they've done with Shadow of the Colossus. They would've done a much better job.
This is no job for Bluepoint. It's an easy remake of an old PS1 Classic. It's a small project for the fans. Demon's Souls is a big game that needs a bigger team, like Bluepoint.
I don't know why someone would want the game to be actively bad though. I loved playing medievil on my psp back in the day. But the combat was unarguably poor. It's like, do you want the remake to be received well? What's the harm in adjusting enemy animations and hit reactions?
I've played the PSP one and it was horrendous. I want a remake of the PS1 and that's what we get here. Not a reboot, just a simple remake like the Spyro games. Like I said, it's for the fans. I want the old MediEvil, not a new version with totally different gameplay.
Like I already said, this game won't sell gangbusters or review well. It's a small project for the hardcore MediEvil fans. As you can see on twitter right now, many MediEvil fans are really happy :) Updating animations? Sure, why not. That's about it tho. Received well? Yes, received well by the oldschool fans like me. Not for game reviewers who couldn't give two shits for MediEvil or Sir Daniel Fortesque. I want oldschool MediEvil. And that's what we will get.

Last edited:

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I don't think it looks particularly good, but I also think the original was just "OK" back then, too. I was hoping they'd do something to improve the gameplay, but it looks pretty faithful to the OG. Meh.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Day one. I adore pretty much any aspect of MediEvil, so being able to play it (and hopefully 2 at some point) with modern assets is all I ever wanted. Hopefully it'll pave the way for a proper sequel somewhere down the line...

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Make sense. It's a over 20 your old 3D action adventure. Like I said, it's for the fans of the old game. It's almost the same game, just shinier. Exactly what I wanted. I want the same game, but prettier. And I hope they will do the same with the Demon's Souls Remaster. I want Demon's Souls and not a Demon's Souls / Dark Souls 3 mix.

This is no job for Bluepoint. It's an easy remake of an old PS1 Classic. It's a small project for the fans. Demon's Souls is a big game that needs a bigger team, like Bluepoint.

I've played the PSP one and it was horrendous. I want a remake of the PS1 and that's what we get here. Not a reboot, just a simple remake like the Spyro games. Like I said, it's for the fans. I want the old MediEvil, not a new version with totally different gameplay.
Like I already said, this game won't sell gangbusters or review well. It's a small project for the hardcore MediEvil fans. As you can see on twitter right now, many MediEvil fans are really happy :) Updating animations? Sure, why not. That's about it tho. Received well? Yes, received well by the oldschool fans like me. Not for game reviewers who couldn't give two shits for MediEvil or Sir Daniel Fortesque. I want oldschool MediEvil. And that's what we will get.
I played the ps1 title bc through my Vita. It plays like absolute shit. Fine for something that released decades ago. But why would you ever leave the gameplay as is for a remake? Especially since the changes wouldn't drastically change the game.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Day one. I adore pretty much any aspect of MediEvil, so being able to play it (and hopefully 2 at some point) with modern assets is all I ever wanted. Hopefully it'll pave the way for a proper sequel somewhere down the line...
I don't think we will get a sequel. It's gonna be 1 and maybe 2 for the fans. Just like Sony remastered/remade the old LocoRoco and Patapon games. But hey, finally MediEvil but with shiny graphics. Like you said "MediEvil but with modern assets". All good :)

Nov 23, 2017
medievil was my second ps1 game i got back then, i played the demo of that game to death. it had 3 or 4 levels of the full game, up to the glass demon

i love this game but this trailer looks really unpolished, the framerate is bad, and these walking and turning animations during gameplay look like out of the ps1 version. is it running ps1 code under prettier graphics? (like the crash or sotc remasters) because level geometry also looks like ps1
weird because you said you've played a ps1 and know what those games look like....what ps1 games look anytging like this?

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played the ps1 title bc through my Vita. It plays like absolute shit. Fine for something that released decades ago. But why would you ever leave the gameplay as is for a remake? Especially since the changes wouldn't drastically change the game.
Nostalgia :) I want MediEvil. The same game but pretty. I don't want something like MGS1/MGS: The Twin Snakes -_-
Same goes with Demon's Souls. I want the same game, but pretty (pretty like the Shadow of the Colossus remaster/remake).

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I have no nostalgia for the original whatsoever, and this does not look good to me.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Why is the framerate so bad and why is there no hit detection from enemies? This seems like a way rougher remake than Spyro or Crash.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Why is the framerate so bad and why is there no hit detection from enemies? This seems like a way rougher remake than Spyro or Crash.
MediEvil was a really rough game carried by its atmosphere. You'd think that a remake would be an opportunity to keep the atmosphere and level design while polishing up the combat and character controls. Turning a good looking but shit playing game into a good looking and good playing game. It would also, you know, ensure that the game reviews well and has good word of mouth.

As is the game is undoubtedly going to review poorly. But I guess this is what the fans want. There are plenty of ps1-ps2 games I'd like to see get this kind of a visual upgrade. But I'd also want some rough edges to be smoothed out.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I don't think we will get a sequel. It's gonna be 1 and maybe 2 for the fans. Just like Sony remastered/remade the old LocoRoco and Patapon games. But hey, finally MediEvil but with shiny graphics. Like you said "MediEvil but with modern assets". All good :)
You're probably right, though if the MediEvil 2 remake becomes a thing I'll be able to die happily. Everything that follows would just be the icing on the cake.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I can see this selling pretty good actually it has a nice price tag and a really nice artstyle alot of people had fond memoirs of it as well.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're probably right, though if the MediEvil 2 remake becomes a thing I'll be able to die happily. Everything that follows would just be the icing on the cake.
Damn right :) Man, I remember how I wrote an email to Cambridge Studio 12 years ago, asking for a MediEvil sequel and if the IP is dead or not :P Good times. I'm so glad this is happening. And I'm really happy for the longtime MediEvil fans:

We've waited so damn long :)

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can see this selling pretty good actually it has a nice price tag and a really nice artstyle alot of people had fond memoirs of it as well.
Nah, this game and its gameplay is too oldschool and the IP too old to sell really well. It's a fan service game. And hey, that's all I want :)

Madness80

Feb 28, 2018
This definitely looks clunky...almost as if only the graphics were redone. This also makes me really wish Capcom would remake the two Maximo titles and give us a sequel.

Deleted member 43220

May 11, 2018
You can dislike the gameplay etc, but 30$ are a bargain!

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, this game and its gameplay is too oldschool and the IP too old to sell really well. It's a fan service game. And hey, that's all I want :)
EH too oldschool dont mean much of anything its a Sony title releasing in October people will take notice either way.

Not in a big way but I dont think its going to do as bad as you think,Sony does not make games for them to do bad lol .

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not in a big way but I dont think its going to do as bad as you think, Sony does not make games for them to do bad lol .
Of course not. But this is a typcial fan service game. See Patapon or LocoRoco. MediEvil's gameplay is so damn "PS1 Classic oldschool", it will get destroyed by the critics ;)
But hey, it's for us hardcore Medievil fans. I'm there, day 1. I've preordered the Digital Deluxe Edition 5 minutes ago :D

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Not to say there weren't framerate issues in some spots but I also think some people are getting thrown off by Sir Dan's crazy trademark bouncy strides and camera movement in perceiving the framerate, and it's not as bad as some are making it seem.

Totally digging the art style.

They are adding new stuff atleast alot of stuff atleast

And make no bones about it, even if you're familiar with Dan's first outing, everything you remember (and a lot that you don't!) is back in ways that will make your head spin. In addition to a complete graphical overhaul, an improved camera system, and a brand-new narrator (brought to life by veteran voice actress Lani Minella) we're adding a whole casket full of secrets to this PlayStation classic that we can't wait for you to dig up.
We'll scare up some more details for you leading up to launch, but in the meantime, feel free to crawl on over to PlayStation Store and preorder the game!
Yeah, very cool!

Last edited:

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
it's a bit cheaper on Saudi PSN store

$27

D6KtbQxWAAAu1m_.png

Digital Deluxe Edition is $35

D6KtY5YWsAEaEyD.png

still, not gonna touch it with that trailer performance, I'll wait for $10-$15 sale.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What else has other ocean made?
Games made by them:
  • Giant Cop: Justice Above All (PC) (2016)
  • #IDARB (Xbox One) (2015)
  • Puffins: Let's Race! (Nintendo DS) (2010)
  • Puffins: Let's Fish! (Nintendo DS) (2010)
  • Puffins: Let's Roll! (Nintendo DS) (2010)
  • Cast levania: Symphony of the Night (PlayStation) (1997)
Development support:
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Lagacy of the Duelist (PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4) (2015)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Generationen (iPad, iPhone, Android) (2014)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Millennium Duels (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3) (2014)
  • NBA Rush (iPhone, iPad) (2014)
  • Gunstringer: Dead Man Running (PC) (2013)
  • Poptropica Adventures (Nintendo DS) (2012)
  • The Amazing Spider-Man (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii, Nintendo DS, PC, Nintendo 3DS, Wii U) (2012)
  • Minecraft: New Nintendo 3DS Edition (Nintendo 3DS) (2017)

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
What else has other ocean made?
Not just made by them btw
Whether you picked up the original or never heard of the original, we know you'll love the sword swinging, perilous puzzles and enchanting environments. Brought back to life by our International Software Development team in partnership with Other Ocean Interactive, this a full remake of the original PS1 classic
https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...es-pay-witness-to-the-first-medievil-trailer/

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Games made by them:
  • Giant Cop: Justice Above All (PC) (2016)
  • #IDARB (Xbox One) (2015)
  • Puffins: Let's Race! (Nintendo DS) (2010)
  • Puffins: Let's Fish! (Nintendo DS) (2010)
  • Puffins: Let's Roll! (Nintendo DS) (2010)
  • Cast levania: Symphony of the Night (PlayStation) (1997)
Development support:
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Lagacy of the Duelist (PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4) (2015)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Generationen (iPad, iPhone, Android) (2014)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Millennium Duels (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3) (2014)
  • NBA Rush (iPhone, iPad) (2014)
  • Gunstringer: Dead Man Running (PC) (2013)
  • Poptropica Adventures (Nintendo DS) (2012)
  • The Amazing Spider-Man (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii, Nintendo DS, PC, Nintendo 3DS, Wii U) (2012)
  • Minecraft: New Nintendo 3DS Edition (Nintendo 3DS) (2017)

I don't know whether thats confidence instilling or not ? The framerate is really concerning though.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Wait it's $30?

Lmao, I was hoping for $20. Definitely not going to grab it at launch at that price unless it also includes Medievil 2.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
great date, surprised they didn't have that as part of the stream itself (edit: apparently I was just blind, rewatched the stream & saw they did have the date at the end)

also $30 is just a perfect price point as well

Wait it's $30?

Lmao, I was hoping for $20. Definitely not going to grab it at launch at that price unless it also includes Medievil 2.

you seriously thought a remake was going to be $20?

Last edited: